• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII announced for 2013 [Up3: Famitsu Details]

LuuKyK

Whatever guys. Complaining now won't make Square stop making the game. And I don't get the hate. They are changing everything, making a lot of new things.

Oh well, Lightning shall continue her reign. Such an outstanding character.

blixa

Banned
Man, the premise for this game sounds insanely amazing. So it does take place hundreds of years later. Parts of it definitely look inspired by Valhalla, and he confirmed that is Etro's shine/castle. He confirmed that is Cocoon 2 floating in the sky.

So, 4 islands and Cocoon 2? Hot damn. Wilderness, deserts, forests, and major urban areas including slums, and cyberpunk criminals? Religious garb people with masks and mechanical backpacks? Hot damn.

Totally new battle system and gameplay style? Open world? Holy shit.

Sounds like Valhalla and Pulse joined somehow after the door opened. Then chaos has basically been consuming the entire world for hundreds of years, like it consumed Muin and Etro. He said beyond the waters is just an abyss, and that you can see the ethereal waterfalls. He said you can see tons of insane geography and landmarks from the monorail. Wow.

For all the shit Toriyama gets, honestly, his games excite me the most. This is just a super exciting concept. So Lightning
wakes up hundreds of years later in Etro's Shrine? Will she be regarded as a queen? A Goddess? Is anyone else even still alive? What is Bhunivelze like, and why do people live there AND on the surface? They also hinted that a whole new religion has sprouted up, with Luxurion worshipping the god Bhunivelze. That's new.

SUPER hyped.

great post. my sentiments exactly. so excited.

PerZona

After reading the 1UP preview, LR: FFXIII sounds interesting. Weird that they changed the battle system to Crisis Core and KH style though, which I believe it's FFVersusXIII's style as well. I won't say I'm happy at this decision but still don't mind, since I love KH/Crisis Core/SO battle system a lot.

In anyway, it's interesting to see how the story unfolds, since Lightning has only 13 days. Plus the overclock ability concept sounds good.

seady

My English is not that good, can someone tell me if this is the definition of "Beating a Dead Horse"?

Edit (found it):

beat·ing a dead horse [bee-ting ey ded hawrs]
verb (used with object)
1. the act of a person or thing that whore out sequels to Final Fantasy XIII, as to punish, torture, hurt, etc.

LuuKyK

My English is not that good, can someone tell me if this is the definition of "Beating a Dead Horse"?

Edit (found it):

beat·ing a dead horse [bee-ting ey ded hawrs]
verb (used with object)
1. the act of a person or thing that whore out sequels to Final Fantasy XIII, as to punish, torture, hurt, etc.

Very funny.

Squire

Banned
I think it could be good. I'm not happy to hear its being rushed and I don't expect it to look to great, but their goals are admirable. Making Abe design lead is (probably) a good move.

Would I prefer something else? Yeah. I'd love Versus, or X HD, or FFXV or probably almost anything else, but ultimately this is the game they're making; for slightly better or much worse. It's been long enough that people know if they're interested or Actuslly like XIII in general. If not, why waste your emotions? You could just ignore it. It'll be out before you blink and I almost mean that literally.

Teknoman

As long as its fun...and has decent story thats actually understandable without having to fall back to some sort of in game log.

I'm going to play ff13. My body is ready. I need to see why they're making more games.

Because they couldn't get it right with the first or second game.

That being said, I'm actually excited for this third game simply because of the changes they're making and the whole open world/time limit aspect. Would've been better if it was its own game, in my opinion.

Jawmuncher

After reading the 1UP preview, LR: FFXIII sounds interesting. Weird that they changed the battle system to Crisis Core and KH style though, which I believe it's FFVersusXIII's style as well. I won't say I'm happy at this decision but still don't mind, since I love KH/Crisis Core/SO battle system a lot.

In anyway, it's interesting to see how the story unfolds, since Lightning has only 13 days. Plus the overclock ability concept sounds good.

Wait so it plays more like that?!
OH MY GOD, Day Fucking 0, I loved Crisis Core.

Esura

Banned
Whatever guys. Complaining now won't make Square stop making the game. And I don't get the hate. They are changing everything, making a lot of new things.

Oh well, Lightning shall continue her reign. Such an outstanding character.

Yeah she is indeed. I just hope they show something badass at TGS to offset this though.

LuuKyK

I'm going to play ff13. My body is ready. I need to see why they're making more games.

Do it! You won't regret! The game has its flaws but try getting involved with the story and the characters and you will have a great time. Try XIII-2 too. :)

Yeah she is indeed. I just hope they show something badass at TGS to offset this though.

Esuraaa! I can't believe you're not excited yet. :(

ohlawd

Ugh, I'd hope not.

On the same coin, watch it have crappy platforming like the final dungeon's excuse for a platforming segment. >_<

The only part of XIII-2 that I hated was the final dungeon. I hated that dungeon with all of my being. What the hell SE.

Seda

http://na.square-enix.com/lightning...ghtning_returns:_final_fantasy_xiii_announced

http://FINALFANTASYXIII.com/LR

The site above represents a landing page for info and updates regarding LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII. It’s first full-fledged teaser launches September 4th and contains videos detailing presentations direct from the development team on the inspiration and direction of this new game. Producer Yoshinori Kitase, Director Motomu Toriyama, Game Design Director Yuji Abe, and Artist Isamu Kamikokuryou spoke candidly on the upcoming release as well as the end to Lightning’s saga. There are also first looks at the world and foes featured in the game through highly detailed concept art drawn by Isamu Kamikokuryou.

A bold new logo represents a new direction for Lightning’s saga accompanied with new concept art. Director Motomu Toriyama introduced two key concepts: Lightning Returns and World Driven; concepts that demonstrate an emphasis on Lightning’s triumphant new strength and ability to overcome great odds as well as the dynamic world that grows around the player’s actions. As the sun rises and sets, the ecology, residents, and world change around the player and help define their gameplay experience. One of the biggest surprises is that this game will focus on players controlling Lightning as a solo adventurer. I’m sure players are eager to find out how Lightning will look and act in LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII. More info on that at a later time!

For newcomers, story primers and helpful information remains through finalfantasyxiii.com on both the original title to Lightning’s saga as well as the direct sequel featuring her sister Serah.

Noi

Well, now that you mention it, if we have to swap between paradigms, I wonder how fast it'll have to go (in terms of animating to switch it up)? In this setting it has to be snappy otherwise it won't work. They can't use the same Paradigms they used for her in that DLC because, iirc, she didn't have a medic-like one, did she?

Well, doesn't she essentially have that in her Dissidia incarnation? She can swap between COM, RAV and MED on the fly, plus with more buttons on this that the PSP, I can fathom something like "tap L2 to cycle between Paradigms 1-3, R2 to cycle between between 4-6".

As to not just be guessing about stuff, I went and popped in my copy of XIII-2 to check. She pretty much has every role except MED: two Ravager (Shaman and Mage) roles, one wind-strike based and one thunder magic based, Paladin (COM) with all the typical things like Ruin, Blitz and Ruinga, Conjurer (SYN) with two buffs that can only be used one at a time, Knight (SEN) which pretty much makes her void all damage, and Sorcerer (SAB) which has a single spell that does Debrave, Deshell, Deprotect, Defaith, Curse and Daze. Of all of those, Shaman is my favorite role cause of it has Bladestorm, which is like a super OP version of Galestrike that hits like 10 times in a row.

I looked at the final DLC as a preview for this game, tbh. So I guess in a way I kind of expected it, but I didn't want it to come to pass. A lot of her solo attacks were better than the regular ones that Noel and Serah used, but since they want to go back to the premise of 'Lightning as a Soldier' for this game, I wonder if she'll be as strong as she is as a goddess?

Maybe have her weakened/stripped from her Goddess abilities due to the stuff that happens at the end of XIII-2? I guess we'll get a hint of that once they choose to reveal what Lightning's new design is.

I liked the countdown mechanic in Fallout, and I like seeing other games using it.

Otherwise, I honestly just wish SE would release one damn game this gen that grabs me like they used to. Enough with FFXIII already.

Raven77

"Final Fantasy XIII-3: Part 4: Lightning Returns - Chapter 1 ~ Final Chapter (of 6): Lightning in a Bottle - or - How I learned to stop playing Final Fantasy and love Grandia"

BECAUSE EVERYONE WANTS THIS!

In all syrupyness though, is FF XIII: 2 any good? Thought about picking it up.

Shinta

Banned
Maybe have her weakened/stripped from her Goddess abilities due to the stuff that happens at the end of XIII-2? I guess we'll get a hint of that once they choose to reveal what Lightning's new design is.

They showed people with gasmasks, and other people with mechanical backpacks of some kind and masks. I'm expecting some kind of mechanical augments for at least one of her costumes. They did say one of the game's core themes is "mechanical."

I'm still shocked they didn't even get Amano to do a new logo for this thing.

That and really SE, I know you've done this in the past with the delayed Trailer and it was stupid then but it's even worse now. Just give us the fucking thing.

I'd be surprised if we don't see it before TGS. Alpha gameplay is pretty damn early though.

MormaPope

Banned
Man, the game conceptually sounds awesome as fuck. If Square Enix wasn't so timid they would've just made a new IP with these concepts.

Beth Cyra

They showed people with gasmasks, and other people with mechanical backpacks of some kind and masks. I'm expecting some kind of mechanical augments for at least one of her costumes. They did say one of the game's core themes is "mechanical."

I'd be surprised if we don't see it before TGS. Alpha gameplay is pretty damn early though.

Never mind thats the teaser site.

Still the trialer they showed the press couldn't be any more fucking shallow then the video the pushed out to reveal XIII-2.

~Kinggi~

Banned
What about this makes it the 25th anniversary? Is it the day? If so i guess that can explain why they had so little to show for the new game. Probably needed to announce on the date rather than wait.

Alex

God damn stop buying those FF13 series. Don't you guys get it? You guys are supporting SE to make shitty games! and Toriyama a pay raise.

I'm sorry, say it again?

Why now, though, now that they're actually producing really interesting sounding video games again? Game sounds pretty damn nice on paper, probably the most interesting thing I've read them doing in terms of game design in awhile. Besides, what am I supposed to be trying to deter them into doing with the current staff pool they roll with that junction of the company? Should I be throwing that faith in Versus, another possible monstrosity with a gigantic development cycle? Is that going to be the one to tickle the narrative fancy for the internet folks, the one sporting the crack creative minds behind Kingdom Hearts, Crisis Core and Advent Children?

I don't know, I just don't care about the narrative in Square games anymore. It's background noise with an occasional character or moment worth remembering, not the reason I'm buying anything. I don't really feel perturbed at them for reusing this universe as much as I probably could because I do not think that they'll ever go out of their safety zone enough to do anything better.

Right now all I care about is what is tangible and what I can mechanically read up on, and I can do that with this and it sounds really fun, when you're taking design thoughts from things like Dragon Quarter you're on the right path. Cautious interest and a thumbs up for rockin' some creativity in a situation where people probably didn't expect much, that's my stance on things.

so... uh... do I rreeeeeally need to finish FF13?

I would advise against it, just play XIII-2 if you feel a need to scratch an itch. It's got a lot of the holdover problems, but they managed to sculpt a reasonable RPG around it, unlike XIII.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
XIII-2 had platforming segments? That sounds hilariously painful.
You have no idea. "Hey guys we added a floaty jump. we should design an entire dungeon around it even though our platforming mechanics aren't super stellar and we barely had platforming in this game beforehand." Not to mention that the jumping animations didn't seem like they had any momentum to them at all, making some of the jumps kind of jarring.

It's like Sonic making a pretty good jump on a flat surface without running prior to jumping. Oh, and the platforms move.

Noi said:
Well, doesn't she essentially have that in her Dissidia incarnation? She can swap between COM, RAV and MED on the fly, plus with more buttons on this that the PSP, I can fathom something like "tap L2 to cycle between Paradigms 1-3, R2 to cycle between between 4-6".

As to not just be guessing about stuff, I went and popped in my copy of XIII-2 to check. She pretty much has every role except MED: two Ravager (Shaman and Mage) roles, one wind-strike based and one thunder magic based, Paladin (COM) with all the typical things like Ruin, Blitz and Ruinga, Conjurer (SYN) with two buffs that can only be used one at a time, Knight (SEN) which pretty much makes her void all damage, and Sorcerer (SAB) which has a single spell that does Debrave, Deshell, Deprotect, Defaith, Curse and Daze. Of all of those, Shaman is my favorite role cause of it has Bladestorm, which is like a super OP version of Galestrike that hits like 10 times in a row.
Yeah, I guess tapping buttons to cycle through a bunch of paradigms a la Dissidia would work. Depends on how quick the action in the game is suppose to be. But Dissidia kind of slipped my mind, lol. That would work.

I would think that two Ravager roles would kind of be limiting unless she has an expansive skillset with both of them. In this universe, though, I would think that she'd need a Med role to support herself if we're going back to the 'Lightning = soldier' bit. Maybe they're bringing in even more roles rather than the six we've been granted. And maybe she'll have to work her way back to the roles she uses as a cross between a mere mortal and a goddess.

Noi said:
Maybe it's just something plain and we'll have to screw around with her attachments to modify her skillset. Edit: beaten by Shinta.

All-in-all, the gameplay doesn't sound bad; it sounds interesting on paper (but we'll have to wait to see footage). It's just that I don't like the character/world that's attached to it.

What about this makes it the 25th anniversary? Is it the day? If so i guess that can explain why they had so little to show for the new game. Probably needed to announce on the date rather than wait.
The day of the 25th anniversary is in December, iirc.

Lightning is the only playable character? :/

Well, I'm glad they confirmed this will wrap up the FFXIII story, but I was hoping this would build on FFXIII-2's battle system, just with the entire human cast returning.

Noi

All-in-all, the gameplay doesn't sound bad; it sounds interesting on paper (but we'll have to wait to see footage). It's just that I don't like the character/world that's attached to it.

Yeah, pretty much. Gaping character plot-holes aside, I did grow fond of characters like Hope and Noel by the end of XIII-2, so seeing all of that tossed out the window for just Lightning is kind of a bummer. But I'm easily willing to give that a pass if the game is interesting.

...But then again, I've told you that I like Dirge of Cerberus, so my bar for entertainment is pretty fuckin' low.
KuGsj.gif

taizuke

Shinta, you are an awesome member. Expressed exactly what I think with this post!

So many unanswered questions! This sounds totally awesome. I can't wait for more info.

I just LOVE your avatar... had to say it.

As for my take i think it is somewhat unexpected (not the sequel part but the concept and all the new stuff). I don't like the time aspect as well cause i like playing games at my pace and i hate feeling like i have a deadline in games. But, i'm interested still and i love the character of Lightning. I'm a huge FF fan so i'll definitely be on the lookout.

Top Bottom