• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonitii

Can't wait for the Vietnam episode. My favorite place in the world. Looks like he is visiting central Vietnam, in the city where my mom grew up.

Also looking forward to the Massachusetts episode. The No Reservations Boston episode a few years back was kind of disappointing. Looks like he will be venturing around a bit to the Cape and western MA.

Akahige

Such a beautifully shot episode.
Am I the only one that secretly thinks Layover is his best show?
I liked how informative it was about the travel experiences and places to go but I prefer the honest down to earth nature of this show and No Reservations. There is a show on Esquire called The Getaway is basically a successor to the The Layover but with "Celebritys" instead of Bourdain.

FartOfWar

Banned
Haven't seen the new season, but the series is fantastic. Dude's making the best "food" TV ever (or disguising legit travel journalism as culinary ish).

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I thought the Shanghai episode was shot so poorly. It looked it was trying to resemble a wong kar wai movie but I thought it just looked bad most of the time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Almost want to make a separate topic, but as an American China just astounds mainly from just the massive population number. One of those numbers so huge you just gloss over it because it's hard to really easily make sense of it all in your mind.

Nuklear

Banned
I just got hooked on this show just last weekend when they did a marathon and man the Thailand show was very awesome! Bar hopping looks so fun over there!

The Shanghai episode was very enjoyable and eye opening. It makes you wonder when China will dump communism and fully embrace the free market.

Akahige

The Bronx episode was good, felt like a No Reservations episode, straight forward camera work and editing, nothing too fancy.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Poor Bronx, even Anthony couldn't make my hometown look like a diserable place to visit lol. He tried hard too!

Awesome episode though, especially the hip hop and the chicharones, yum!

During the montage shots of Shanghai city life and the skyline, it was quite offensive how shots of Hong Kong were snuck in. Especially with the Hong Kong protests going on right now.

They are not the same city. Different people, different culture.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Schattenjäger;133418588 said:
I was a little let down by the Bronx episode -food wise

But the guests were awesome

Mellie Mel is ripped
Because it's the Bronx! The best food is the home cooking!

pj

Banned
This should have been half of an episode focused on Staten Island and The Bronx. They were stretching to fill the time and a lot of what they showed didn't look appealing.

Schattenjäger;133418588 said:
I was a little let down by the Bronx episode -food wise

But the guests were awesome

Mellie Mel is ripped

You didn't run out and get a chopped cheese?

Shanghai ep came just in time for my flight there.

Though that hacker guy was a wet noodle. Who would want to crash a wedding with that guy?

numble

During the montage shots of Shanghai city life and the skyline, it was quite offensive how shots of Hong Kong were snuck in. Especially with the Hong Kong protests going on right now.

I didn't notice any shots of Hong Kong.

Yeah, I live in Hong Kong, I think I would've noticed it right away.

The Hong Kong shots appeared a few times, but squeezed in between fast montages. Watch it again. You can see IFC in one shot, and a crosswalk in Central in another.

I live in Shanghai actually, and fly to Hong Kong frequently since my family lives there. I don't know, the shots stuck out like a sore thumb for me. Like if you put Dallas shots inside a NYC episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I assume they just needed more footage during editing and just went with some stock footage that they have in the archive.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
This should have been half of an episode focused on Staten Island and The Bronx. They were stretching to fill the time and a lot of what they showed didn't look appealing.

You didn't run out and get a chopped cheese?
Ha! I admit that did look good

I think I need to go back to city island - have not been there in a long time

I used to go to that White Castle a lot back in the day.. is this the first episode where Bourdain eats at a fast food restaurant ?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Jackie Chan started it. (Rumble in the "Bronx.")

Bacon

I watch Bordain from time to time and always come away jealous of his life. I don't have the charisma or charm to do what he does but damn I would love to be in his shoes.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This Iran episode is crazy. Much more modern than I envisioned it. Although it is confirming some preconceptions we have about it in the West.

Owzers

watched the show tonight since i saw an ad for it on CNN earlier today, but my main takeaways were the journalist still being in prison/held by the government since July and that wealthier people in Iran put out tons of food when they have guests.

Not sure that it left a good impression.

the iran episode is amazing

i was blown away by how friendly seemingly everyone is toward tony and his crew

persians seem like great people

a shame their govt is so fucked up

i was unaware that the us govt sanctioned osama's use of sarin/mustard gas on the people of iran

who knew sandstorms could cause such destruction

very entertaining, educational, eye-opening episode

one of parts unknown's best

watched the show tonight since i saw an ad for it on CNN earlier today, but my main takeaways were the journalist still being in prison/held by the government since July and that wealthier people in Iran put out tons of food when they have guests.

Not sure that it left a good impression.

No, even if you're dirt poor you still scrounge up whatever you can to put a big meal for guests. My family is lower-middle class and we put out the same kind of dishes you saw in the show whenever we have guests. It's an Iranian thing.

I really liked this episode. It showed some of the real Iran, however what they don't show (for obvious reasons) in the video is you can get illegally imported alcohol for house parties.

Who knows, maybe some day we'll get rid of the ayatollahs and the Persian empire might rise again. :shrug:

Akahige

Great episode, really depressing shit hearing about the journalists being imprisoned. The part at the end with him hanging out with people and their cars was interesting, looks like something you'd see in a lot towns in America.

Some of the best episodes this season and also one of worst yet (Paraguay episode).

the best of anthony bourdain has to be his trips to japan. you really can feel that he loves that place. man that one episode in hokkaido is really great.

Burt

There's a new one of these on right now, taking place in Moscow. Bourdain's sitting down to dinner with Boris Nemtsov, the opposition leader that got killed the other day, talking about how bad things tend to happen to Putin's critics. Crazy stuff.

Edit: Nvm, it's a repeat. Still crazy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom