• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBO score on Senate GOP health bill released, 22M more uninsured relative to ACA

I hope the poor people who voted for Trump are happy about this. They're about to get fucked so that billionaires and investors can save a few dollars.

"poor?" Those people are just temporarily embarrassed millionaires until they personally get screwed over, in which they'll either be demoralized to vote or switch to blue until the siren song of telling others to strap up their boots starts ringing in their ears again.

Kusagari

This isn't passing/voted on. 5 GOP are against it. They can only loose 2

Four of those five are Cruz, Lee, Johnson and Rand. Having any faith in them is an exercise in suicide.

This passing depends on three votes: Heller, Murkowski and Collins.

Yikes. So the GOP just assumes doing this will cause more health insurance providers to offer health insurance for cheaper?

Also is there a way to tell exactly who benefits from the tax cuts? Is it really just the top 1%? I'm trying to figure out how Republican voters can justify this and what they get out of it.

antonz

Republicans got their talking point.

In 2020, average premiums for benchmark plans for single individuals would be about 30 percent lower than under current law.

Will ignore the fact the plan calls for Insurance paying less and the individual paying a larger share of health costs but they have their talking point reduction!

Foffy

Banned
Yikes. So the GOP just assumes doing this will cause more health insurance providers to offer health insurance for cheaper?

Also is there a way to tell exactly who benefits from the tax cuts? Is it really just the top 1%? I'm trying to figure out how Republican voters can justify this and what they get out of it.

Ted Cruz literally argued for the return of catastrophic plans a few days ago...

They're looking at just the costs, but not the care. We used to have a system that could deny heart medicine because you had tinnitus, and these motherfuckers are bringing us as close back to that time as they can.

WOW. CBO: Premiums for a 64-year old with middle income go from $6,800 under ACA to $20,500 under BCRA

DDRjB4XXkAAbZYd.jpg

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/879437160365084672

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

They justify the tax break to "trickle down" bullshit

Does anyone even know if there is a mechanism to pay that tax credit upfront easily as a poor family would never be able to afford insurance upfront then claim a tax credit down the road?

Tahnit

Banned
All this is is a transfer of wealth from the poor to the top 1%. Has nothing to do with healthcare. Fuck the GOP.

yamo

Lol I'm getting healthcare insurance ads showing on this page.

Anyway I'm lucky to live in a place with, more or less, free healthcare.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!

The ACA put taxes on the ultra wealthy to fund the tax credits that go to lower and middle class people so they can buy insurance on the marketplace at rates they can actually afford. This gets rid of that. It's literally a tax cut for the ultra rich by gutting health care for the rest of us.

It'll lower the cost of plans by having them not cover anything. Part of the ACA is "essential health benefits," which covers things like pregnancy, ambulance rides, prescriptions, a ton more. This bill gets rid of qualifications of essential benefits. They will offer you plans for dirt cheap that don't cover shit to lower premiums. An absolute farce.

Congrats GOP you did it, you repealed Obamacare. You somehow managed to fucking pull it off because there's probably only one (nevada) who will defect.

Might as well just go put a gun to my head.

They justify the tax break to "trickle down" bullshit

Which has been proven to not work again and again. The entire right wing ideology is "fuck you, I got mine". That is more true for the people at the top as well, including the president of the United States that represents them, who used charity money for his own benefit.

It's not about this week, it's about the midterms when senators are going to have to defend why 15 million people (and 4 million people with employee health insurance) lost coverage *that year.*

Oh yeah, that does a lot to make me feel better when the ACA was all I had for health insurance.

There are plenty of people on this board who can't even afford their medication without it.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
It's not about this week, it's about the midterms when senators are going to have to defend why 15 million people (and 4 million people with employee health insurance) lost coverage *that year.*

I really don't like this line of thinking. Yes, Congresspeople that vote for this will have it thrown back at them when it comes time for re-election, but real people are going to get hurt because of this bill. The lives of American citizens isn't some political game of wins and losses.

They know they can't govern and they want to lose so Democrats will take all the blame. I can't conceive of any other explanation.

I really don't like this line of thinking. Yes, Congresspeople that vote for this will have it thrown back at them when it comes time for re-election, but real people are going to get hurt because of this bill. The lives of American citizens isn't some political game of wins and losses.

Hey, don't put words in my mouth. This isn't a political game to me, this bill is horrifying, but the poster was saying lobby groups couldn't do anything this week, which they can't, but the GOP isn't thinking about this week, they're thinking about the 2018 midterms.

Tovarisc

They know they can't govern and they want to lose so Democrats will take all the blame. I can't conceive of any other explanation.

Trump's constant tweets about Dems being obstructionists would for once be right as I doubt Dems would play ball with Trump.

Also Trump got his less mean health care bill.

...since when?

I love the sentiment, but how this is being approached is very clear.

Top Bottom