• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

return of the Rat: the *NEW* official ESPN NFL 2005 xbox online league thread!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
"The DBs fell asleep."

See thats the biggest damn problem with the game,its like its decided before the game which team's DB's will be awake...whoever has DB's that can actually track the ball that game and stay with their man,gets the win.Even you had some bizzare shit happen on some of my throws.

ShadowRed

Banned
Matrix said:
I'm sick of this fucking stupid game and its bs.I'm playing no different than I was before when I could atleast stay in games or win them,and now all the sudden my D cant stop anyone and I fumble the ball everytime I make a nice catch.I get called for tons of bs like face masks when my man isnt anywhere near anyone.This game must hate me now or something,no offense Fifty,but Ive played people just as good as you and I can hang with them.Wtf was that bs with Moulds in the first game,I would double him and still no one could stop him or they would just let him run right by them.You get INts that tip off my feet ,my head,my nose,my ass,my chock strap.....ughhh this game makes me ill the more I play it.

I could care less if I win or lose,its just frustrating when your down 14-0,and Lewis pulls off some gay miracle run up the middle with all my men on top of him using two spin moves out of the matrix movie,then you catch a tip td..I get the ball back fumble on the kick off return "only god knows why he fumbled after you wrapped his feet up" and next thing I know I'm down by 21.On continues my lack of D on your receivers as they watch the ball fly by them and the reciever and on goes me making a catch and fumbling the ball right after.

I actually think last years game was better,atleast for D.

A fucking men. I also found another fuckup by VC while playing Cloudy. Somethimes if you go to assign a safty to double a WR they will either move away from the WR or move to cover a tottaly different reciever on the otherside of the field. I was sure I was pressing Y and the L to have my Y safty cover his L WR but a few time my guy wouldn't move or he would move away from the WR, rather than move to cover him. I got beat for a TD because this happened.

Fifty

Man, are we getting people pumped for the league or what?!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(I want to dig up a quote I read in a review about this game being the best sim this year....)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ramirez said:
I want a fuckin RB,Deuce isn't cutting the mustard in this game,maybe its my o-line,I have no clue,I just know I cant fuckin run :( And its gotten me beat the last few games.

The NFC's top rusher might be up for trade in a deal that would bring me a Free Saftey and/or WR. :D

Bog

Junior Ace
Defense was fun last year. It was the first football game where I looked forward to playing D. Unlike Madden where you're almost forced to play DE all game, you could actually choose the Safety and be effective. This year, Defense is just me waiting for my DB or Safety to completely miss a swat and subsequent tackle that'll cost me a TD.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
ShadowRed said:
A fucking men. I also found another fuckup by VC while playing Cloudy. Somethimes if you go to assign a safty to double a WR they will either move away from the WR or move to cover a tottaly different reciever on the otherside of the field. I was sure I was pressing Y and the L to have my Y safty cover his L WR but a few time my guy wouldn't move or he would move away from the WR, rather than move to cover him. I got beat for a TD because this happened.

That shit happens aleast twice a game for me.

To tell you the truth Fifty,I'm not really looking forward to it anymore.Yes I'll play and play fair and try to win,but I hate being beat by the game 75% of the time on strange bs and not the opponent.This game is a budget title and its starting to show its true colors.

Also Cerebral dont come in here and say I hate losing or I cant win with the Texans or I dont know how to play or I'm a madden fanboy..

cause all of the above is not true.

Fifty

Matrix said:
To tell you the truth Fifty,I'm not really looking forward to it anymore.

After last night's debacle I was surprised you wanted to give it another go. It's a bummer that your other games have gone well and ours haven't, but maybe it's bad luck. I've had some legit 21-14 leads, and that part of the game is fun. I'm not taking away from either of our skills..but it always seems to turn into a blowout and it's because of the game.

StoOgE

I think they have achieved a good balance in the running attack (pick up 2-3 yards normally, get a bigger gain from time to time). The following need to be fixed for next year.

1) Ball Spotting. I think I get shortchanged about a yard a play pretty much every time.

2) Injuries happen way to much. Every team is one major injury away from their team being done for the season, and its too easy for that to happen.

3) DB's are idiots.. this situation is so bad, it gets sub bullets.

A) When you send 2 or 3 men deep, they need to make sure no one slips by them. Sure, if you blitz guys and man up, people will get behind your D.. but if you throw a couple of guys into a deep zone NO ONE should get behind them, especially by 10 yards. Yes it happens in the NFL, but not all the time.

B) Softer Zone. It seems these guys are GLUED to their spot in the zone.. they dont react to routes AT ALL.. if a guy comes near your area they should break on him, and track him until he is out of his zone. Instead of standing there and only breaking on the guy after the throw/catch is made.

C) the WR's are either too fast or the DB's are retards. Playing man is nearly impossible because certain WR's can beat their man down the field way to easy.. or their man will simply go into retard mode and allow him to get way to fucking open.

Right now, the running game seems very good.. the LOS battle is a TON of fun.. but the chess game that is play calling all goes to waste when one part is screwed up.. nothing is more frustating than going into a man dime only to watch a WR get REALLY open. I generally win the first two downs when on defense and then its a crapshoot if I can get to the QB before he can complete the open pass.

Matrix

Being bored out of my mind might be the reason I'm still going to play the game and league,if it wasnt so cheap I would have traded it towards Madden,plus my little douche bro likes it.

We had a couple of good games at the start,and it thinks its been the last 3 that have been really fucked up.Yesterdays game was the worst thing I have ever witnessed in video game football and tonights were pretty close.

StoOgE

I also have a suggestion for the league. (I didnt want to post this in my rant, in case that gets ignored :p)

Can we turn off coach's challenges? I think if we did that the game would make the 'right' call from the outset. I think its really fucking stupid if we have a computer that can get 100% of the calls 'correct' and it intentionally fucks them up. In real life its necessary because refs are idiots... I dont want someone to lose because they have 3 forward passes ruled fumbled laterals in the game and only two challenges (has happened to me many times, esp last year).

Maverick

Not kidding you guys....I am going to win this league.

I am the Falcons. I'm good at the game, but that's not why I'm going to win. I'm going to win because:

"I generally win the first two downs when on defense and then its a crapshoot if I can get to the QB before he can complete the open pass."

....doesn't work for shit when you have a mobile QB like Vick. I am currently 8-2 online. I lost the one game because of a disconnection and 1 to my friend when I was the Packers.

With the Falcons, I am a perfect 7-0. Ask Konex what happened to him. I rarely get stopped on offense. It's cheap, and still SIM. I don't spread the field w/ Vick and charge the middle.

The problem is, I'll go w/ 4 WRs plus Dunn in the backfield. Perfectly sim....Falcons do it all the time. Problem is, if you spy Vick w/ a MLB....forget it. Price is in the slot. He's going deep post on 3rd and long. Your retarded Free Safety isn't gonna do shit to stop him.

If you take the spy off Vick to cover the middle of the field, I'm gone with Vick. There will be huge open field somewhere. Which, yes, would still be technically sim since "hey, it's your fault."

Want to bump and run me? Okay, I'll just send the outside reciever up a streak and bide time as Vick dodges around the pocket until he's wide open (hey, your SS or FS is floating aimlessly somewhere in his zone, or trying to cover Price.

Oh, and Dunn is sent on a screen, so I hope you have a LB on him instead of Vick, because he's too fast to stop if he catches a screen.

And that's just on 3rd and long. It can be stopped, but it's a bitch, because of how retarded D is.....Ask Konex, but he did play me tough.

Matrix

So you take perfect advantage of the games flaws?.... smart man.

Atleast this year we dont have to watch you run with pot head Williams all day and milk the clock :p

StoOgE

The best option I have found against Vick is Zone Blitz. Yeah, the zone sucks.. but if it is far enough back and you bring enough guys you can force an early pass and hopefully tackle them before they get the first down.

The reason I could say you wouldnt win the leauge is this.. Injuries happen way to often. ESPECIALLY when you run the QB. If Vick goes down, your in trouble.

Matrix

*prays Vick breaks an ankle or leg*

remember ladies, there is going to be a limit on QB running no matter HOW MUCH open field you have.

i think everyone voted on a 5 runs a game limit.

the thing is this: it doesn't matter if you are vick, mcnabb, garcia, johnson, boller, etc. they are all fast. if you have an inch of opening, they can all rip off 15-30 yards like nothing. so the only way to stop that is to limit running. if someone wants to run with tom brady, better make those 5 runs count.

thems the breaks ladies. scramble "outside the pocket" all you want, but i dont want to see over 5 QB rushes on anyones stat sheet. this isn't me being a dick, this is the league voting on it.

stooge, turning off coaches challenges wont make the calls correct. i've already tested this out in franchise, it doesn't matter. the only thing it does is prevents you from challenging a bad call. the ball spots aren't any better, nor are the calls in general. sorry dude :(

StoOgE

I have on question about that rule... when I am 3rd and inches I will pull of a QB sneak for a yard, tops. Does that count as a QB rush? To be honest it probably wont matter because I only tuck it and run a couple times a game.. and that only happens when I roll the pocket and the defense leaves no one at home... even then I usually make a B-line for the sideline so Favre doesnt get hurt.. thats the last thing I need (because I will start his ass with a broken neck, the streak is more important than my winning, even in virtual form).

Matrix

FrenchMovieTheme said:
remember ladies, there is going to be a limit on QB running no matter HOW MUCH open field you have.

i think everyone voted on a 5 runs a game limit.

the thing is this: it doesn't matter if you are vick, mcnabb, garcia, johnson, boller, etc. they are all fast. if you have an inch of opening, they can all rip off 15-30 yards like nothing. so the only way to stop that is to limit running. if someone wants to run with tom brady, better make those 5 runs count.

thems the breaks ladies. scramble "outside the pocket" all you want, but i dont want to see over 5 QB rushes on anyones stat sheet. this isn't me being a dick, this is the league voting on it.

You better pound that info into Mavericks head :p

if the QB is credited with a rush, it counts. thats why i said make it count. whether you get 1 inch or 30 yards on the rush, it counts.

the way i'm going to do it is the first time you have over 5 rushes its a warning, the next time its an automatic victory reverse

Matrix

Nothing to see here *whistles*

keep in mind dudes that if anyone doesnt agree with the "rules", just bring it up. we'll have a vote or something. i'm not pulling these rules out of my ass, i thought majority agreed there would be a limit on qb running and such. anyways, anyone with a problem just say something and ill post a poll and let the league vote.

StoOgE

FrenchMovieTheme said:
stooge, turning off coaches challenges wont make the calls correct. i've already tested this out in franchise, it doesn't matter. the only thing it does is prevents you from challenging a bad call. the ball spots aren't any better, nor are the calls in general. sorry dude :(

fuckers. :(

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
FrenchMovieTheme said:
keep in mind dudes that if anyone doesnt agree with the "rules", just bring it up. we'll have a vote or something. i'm not pulling these rules out of my ass, i thought majority agreed there would be a limit on qb running and such. anyways, anyone with a problem just say something and ill post a poll and let the league vote.

No problem here. If I wanted to play a cheeser, I would have just joined a random league. I am playing in the GAF League because I was hoping we wouldn't have any problems like players abusing that fact the VC made the QBs way too fast. Here is hoping we have a great SIM League.

well the league is full, it will begin tomorrow.

i just want to apologize to any of the people i had to boot. it was a tough decision and i didn't want to do it, but like i said when i created the 20 man tourney, if any "regulars" that have particpated in past leagues were left out for some reason, i'd have to give them the option to get in. i know it sucks and its a shitty thing to do, but i (and others) just feel that if someone has played before, and completed their games, the odds are they're going to play again and be reliable. i guess it's one of the perks to participating in and completing past seasons/tournaments/etc. we'll get everyone in that we missed in season 2, and of course there are also the tournaments (which are cool). sorry dudes :(

ShadowRed

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
if the QB is credited with a rush, it counts. thats why i said make it count. whether you get 1 inch or 30 yards on the rush, it counts.

the way i'm going to do it is the first time you have over 5 rushes its a warning, the next time its an automatic victory reverse

I completely disagree with this. Some people on whatever and 1 will automaticly QB sneak. I don't think thats bad, it's how they play their game. It's a lot safer than trying a run play when it's out in the open that you are going to run and the D can blitz the RB for a stop. I saw if someone complains then you warn them.

Fifty

Well FMT isn't a machine, you'll be able to tell the guys what happened, and the commish will be fair. Still....6 sneaks is very, very rare.

Matrix

Konex is the QB sneak master...ugh

how many times are you going to qb sneak in a game? qb sneaking on 4th and inches in borderline cheese. for instance, if i have a 4th and inches, i can call a 5 wide set (i have this play in my playbook) for a QB draw. now, if the defense comes out in a goalline, i can just audible to a pass play and have at least 3 receivers with NO ONE COVERING THEM. if the defense backs out, i can hike the ball and get the auto first down. and believe me, there is NEVER a time where you wont get a first down with inches to go in that instance.

not only that, but i have never been injured and never fumbled doing that. so, i'm pretty confident 5 rushes a game is fair.

ShadowRed

Banned
Fifty said:
Well FMT isn't a machine, you'll be able to tell the guys what happened, and the commish will be fair. Still....6 sneaks is very, very rare.

I have been burned several times on 3rd and 1 calling a strong iso and getting knocked back for a loss. I've found I've had better success at calling a QB sneak and huddling over the line. There have been times that I've had to do it 2 or 3 times a game, never 6 times like FMT has set the limit at, but who knows I might have too, and I resent that I would be lumped in with some guy who's breaking Brady off 100 plus rushing yards a game.

"how many times are you going to qb sneak in a game? qb sneaking on 4th and inches in borderline cheese. for instance, if i have a 4th and inches, i can call a 5 wide set (i have this play in my playbook) for a QB draw. now, if the defense comes out in a goalline, i can just audible to a pass play and have at least 3 receivers with NO ONE COVERING THEM. if the defense backs out, i can hike the ball and get the auto first down. and believe me, there is NEVER a time where you wont get a first down with inches to go in that instance.

not only that, but i have never been injured and never fumbled doing that. so, i'm pretty confident 5 rushes a game is fair."

Disagree I've stopped people on 4th and inches and have been stopped. What you said about the 5 WR is all and good but if it's a close game and you really need a score your not for the most part going to gamble that way. You are going to, or at least I'm going to go the safe route and get the easy conversion.

StoOgE

ShadowRed said:
I completely disagree with this. Some people on whatever and 1 will automaticly QB sneak. I don't think thats bad, it's how they play their game. It's a lot safer than trying a run play when it's out in the open that you are going to run and the D can blitz the RB for a stop. I saw if someone complains then you warn them.

Im sorta in this boat.

I dont want to hand the ball off, because if they are blitzing they could have pushed the O-line back... a quick sneak is sometimes a safer bet (though I mix it up so I dont tip my hat TOO much). Its also not the abusive type of QB running that gets so many yards..

However, I think keeping people from abusing it is more important.. and there is no other way to track how many rushes you get... perhaps if you go over 5, send a message to the other person in the game to see if they were being abusive or not? Instead of being so cut and dry..

I think the comish should just make a judgement call. Instead of over 5 being an automatic penalty.. why not have under 5 be a safe number? If you go over that its up to FMT's judgement whether or not you lose. If you are under 5 you have no worries, if you go over that you are throwing the dice.

FMT could use total yards, Yards per carry, and even asking the other player what the deal was to make his decision. No warnings (like FMT was suggesting), but no automatic loss for it either.

thats my point. 3rd and 1 shouldn't be a 100% guarantee, and with QB sneak it is. not only that, but there is NO risk-reward with qb sneaking. you don't fumble, you don't get hurt. free first down. so you get 5 of those, use them wisely

StoOgE

FrenchMovieTheme said:
not only that, but i have never been injured and never fumbled doing that. so, i'm pretty confident 5 rushes a game is fair.

Bah, I lost Favre during the first quarter on that very play today. I won the game, but it was bad :(

I agree its a little easy to grab the yard however.

Fifty

Anyway....first and foremost we have to not be douchebags. I learned quickly not to take advantage of the game with Boller. If you haven't rushed all game, but you get two crucial third downs and you break for 20 yards with your QB because the AI is asleep, you haven't broken any "rules" but you're still an asshole.

rarely, and i mean rarely, will you be in a situation where you need to qb sneak. if someone is stacking the line with everyone, have some balls and call a PA pass or just a pass play in general. the odds are HUGE in your favor that you will complete a pass in one on one coverage. take advantage of the defenses aggressivness

ShadowRed

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
thats my point. 3rd and 1 shouldn't be a 100% guarantee, and with QB sneak it is. not only that, but there is NO risk-reward with qb sneaking. you don't fumble, you don't get hurt. free first down. so you get 5 of those, use them wisely

No it's not guaranted but when a game is close and I don't want to run the risk of not getting the concersion, in my experience it's better for me to QB sneak. Some people have no problem running for 1 or 2 years. If I had Faulk or Ricky Williams then this would be a non issue for me, but for people who have average to crappy RB QB sneaks are their bread and butter on some drives.

well, its up to you guys dude. i think 5 more than handles what you will encounter in any given game, but if you want more or less or yardage basis or runs per quarter (gamecast will show) its up to everyone.

p.s. shadow on 3rd and inches, unless you are on the goalline (the D plays WAY too good on the goal line btw), i guarantee you that you will convert 100/100 attempts at 3rd down on a qb sneak play.

Fifty

FrenchMovieTheme said:
(the D plays WAY too good on the goal line btw),.

Now you see the light. :p

I've also noticed a ton of tackles that result in goal line stands. Maybe it's because the tackles take away the WR's forward motion, but I see a 0 yard stand at least once every 1.5 games.

Maverick

Konex-

Just for reference, you were playing my buddy in that game after the first drives by me and you.

I had to take care of some business. =P

I can play now if you want.

Matrix

LOL konex cant read the board here,he's ba ba ba banned!

Maverick

is he gonna play me?

EDIT: Oh, for chrissakes, I gave the game over to my friend after it was 7-3. LOL. He's usually pretty good though, so maybe Konex has been practicing.

Konex2k4: i won't play him again till a league game
Konex2k4: keep the fear in him :)

Konex2k4: ahahahah
Konex2k4: tell him i said i'll play him 2morrow
Konex2k4: and to practice something besides 5 wide

Maverick

Hahaha.

Alright. He's gonna keep the moral high. =P

btw, go piss up a rope matrix. If I gotsta hear one more time about Ricky fucking Williams. Everyone ran in that league....just like everyone passes this year. I knew how to control the damn clock. So what. We all have the same number of possessions. Use it how you want.

StoOgE

No.. clock milking is bullshit and here is why:

You have 35 seconds of playclock... and 5 minute quarters.. with no TV timeouts and all of that bullshit.. the ratio does not hold up to what really exists. If the ratio were intact you would get to milk about 10 seconds off of the clock between each play.. but that isnt long enough to pick a play all of the time, so they give you the full 35. You can run through an entire quarter with 2 first downs in this game.. try doing that in the NFL.

Last year I punted the ball off after my first possession of the second half and pinned my opponent inside his own 5 with about 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.. The game ended on that same possession and he had yet to cross the 50... I would like to see you advance the ball 40 yards and take a quarter and a half to do it IRL.

Sure, you can say I could do the same, or I could stop him, etc. but if we are going to do that we might as well allow the QB to run 90% of the time, go for it on 4th all the time and whatever else bullshit we want to do since 'anyone' can do the same thing. If we are playing a sim leauge, try and keep the clock milking more realistic.

I think clock milking should be met with automatic losses if you do it excessively.

gunstar had a suggestion on the qb running issue:

run all you want, but the R button is off limits. im not sure this would fly cause your guy is ridiculous slow without the R button, and it would be tough to officially keep track of, but it's another idea for the solution to the problem

StoOgE

FrenchMovieTheme said:
gunstar had a suggestion on the qb running issue:

run all you want, but the R button is off limits. im not sure this would fly cause your guy is ridiculous slow without the R button, and it would be tough to officially keep track of, but it's another idea for the solution to the problem

I like the idea, but they cough the ball up WAY to easily this way... it would just result in a fumble fest. I think the 5 runs is the best way to go.

Maverick

I didn't do anything that extreme, Stooge. I ran clock when it was the 4th w/ a lead. Just like I should.

Hey, same number of possessions. It's just as hard for me to score. Running the clock doesn't make it any easier.

i dont think we're going to have a clock milking issue. look dudes, we want a sim league here. there's no need to go over every little rule and possible road block, if its going to be cheesy just dont do it. we all know what "un-sim" ball is. lets keep the clock milking outside of the 4th quarter to a minimum. you want to run clock late in the 4th, then thats up to you. thats just how i feel on it, but i can see how it would be used as a strategic device.

Top Bottom