• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

joe1138

Given Nintendo's track record with handelds I doubt anyone who bought the 3DS did so without expecting a redesign of some sort down the road. If it does indeed happen next year I'm going to be very interested to see just how they pitch it to the public in the wake of the 3DS's launch.

Boney

Banned
I still don't understand that it's publishers that are asking a second stick.

That shit just don't make sense, if you're gonna have a juicy rumor, make it sensible.

Somnid

KAL2006 said:
What? Bigger screen is better than a smaller screen just ask the ds xl buyers a small screen is nice on ds because many games were 2d but for full 3d games like oot mgs3 mario3d i prefer a bigger screen so i can see the detailed expansive 3d enviroments plus the stereo 3d wojld have been nicer on a bigger screen

Exactly, that shit's not portable, it's not fitting in my pocket. So if it's going in my bag why not 7-10 inches?

StuBurns

Banned
It would be nicer with a larger screen, even at the same resolution. Pixels seem to resolve differently in 3D, I think you could get it considerably larger without hurting IQ notably.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Will Vita do well because it has a second analog stick? I don't really understand how a second analog stick is going to save the system...

instant access and compatability with a huge chunk of the PS2 catalogue at launch gives it instantly the best software library of any system ever ?

(in my dreams)

ShockingAlberto said:
I just noticed the part of the article where it says the price drop was to liquidate old 3DS stock. In that case, wouldn't they not be resupplying new units?

That depends what their factories have been up to since April, when they'd manufactured enough to meet the LTD sales!
Seems early to be making a new model though, whatever the details.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Boney said:
I still don't understand that it's publishers that are asking a second stick.

That shit just don't make sense, if you're gonna have a juicy rumor, make it sensible.

"Sorry, but we can't make this game on your device withouth a second analog."

"We are glad to anounce an iPhone sku!".

DCharlie said:
instant access and compatability with a huge chunk of the PS2 catalogue at launch gives it instantly the best software library of any system ever ?

(in my dreams)

Huh? Ps2 compatibility?

Angry Fork

Fantastical said:
Will Vita do well because it has a second analog stick? I don't really understand how a second analog stick is going to save the system...
What can 3rd parties do with a 3DS that they couldn't with a PSP? You have touch screen controls but most would rather have a 2nd analog than that. Vita having a 2nd analog allows devs to essentially make console games for on the go, which is the ultimate goal imo for handhelds. 3DS will have a problem of lack of 3rd party games because all those games were made for PSP already with the exception of a few like Resident Evil or Devil May Cry or something. Vita has more going for it than just the analog stick though, as long as developers support it we can have games like Oblivion and Bioshock on the go.

Lindsay said:
Also they need to add a brightness button like the PSP has like yesterday. So stupid not to be able to change the screen brightness whenever ya want to.

Edit: Yes you can. You just to hit the home button and click the sun at the top and change the brightness. Works on everything besides DS games, I believe. I haven't actually used Netflix so I don't know about that.

KAL2006

Banned
Somnid said:
Exactly, that shit's not portable, it's not fitting in my pocket. So if it's going in my bag why not 7-10 inches?
Its pretty much the size of a psp screen which in my opinion is the perfect balance of big size and portavility which isnt too bad and who the fuck carries portables in their pockets seriously how can you prefer small 3ds screen size over psp dsxl and vita screen sizes, you crazy

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
StickSoldier said:
Yes you can. You just to hit the home button and click the sun at the top and change the brightness. Works on everything besides VC games, I believe. I haven't actually used Netflix so I don't know about that.
It works with VC games. It doesn't with DS games, though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShockingAlberto said:
Possibly sell games.

Ohhhhhhhh snap!

I can't imagine piracy will be kind to 3DS though. I hope that doesn't cause problems for the 3DS like it did for PSP.

Angry Fork said:
What can 3rd parties do with a 3DS that they couldn't with a PSP? You have touch screen controls but most would rather have a 2nd analog than that. Vita having a 2nd analog allows devs to essentially make console games for on the go, which is the ultimate goal imo for handhelds. 3DS will have a problem of lack of 3rd party games because all those games were made for PSP already with the exception of a few like Resident Evil or Devil May Cry or something. Vita has more going for it than just the analog stick though, as long as developers support it we can have games like Oblivion and Bioshock on the go.

Unfortunately for this line of thinking, the third parties that are most likely to care about dual analogs (and they ain't in Japan) also happen to be the least likely to put significant - if any - resources into dedicated handheld software.

Angry Fork

ShockingAlberto said:
Possibly sell games.
Watered down console ports don't sell as much, but a real port of Modern Warfare 3 with all the same features as the console version and dual analog? That'll sell. Or an Elder Scrolls game, Bioshock, Mass Effect etc. This all depends on if Vita is successful or not though.

Basically the Vita being successful over 3DS gives gamers better options because it's the better device.

neptunes

Fantastical said:
If it does well I don't think it will be because of it's 2nd analog stick.

but the 2nd analog stick does make a lot of games more accessible and easier to play.

Wow. I'm not sure why some of you guys are finding this so hard to believe. The source is pretty reliable and I mean who saw the price cut and free games fiasco coming? Its strange times....expect the unexpected!

I still don’t think Nintendo really understand what the main problem is: third party support. It’s hurting them more than ever and if they don’t get enough of it the exact same disaster is gonna happen with the WiiU.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Huh? Ps2 compatibility?

i'm sure it's crossed their mind as part of the Playstation Suite strategy

What better way to sell your bare launch year than with staggered PS2 games for Vita / PS3?

Hand pick 10 games and fight to get them on the service :

1st : GT4 , Ico / Wander, etc
3rd : Gradius V, FF12, GTA, Dodonpachi DOJ, etc

Yes, i know i'm dreaming but the biggest value add that Sony could do for the Vita would be to add portable PS2 compatability. If they push it right then you have potential access to the best software library of any console ever published - and then there's PS1 games to... and PSP.... and the Vita games themselves...

(i know there's a ton of problems with this but hey... let me dream)

re: Dongle. I'm just going to come out and say it - the 3DS is a disaster and Nintendo maybe should consider taking it round the back of the shed and putting a bullet into it. Start again - release a new handheld as the Gameboy TWO or something. Seems they've got everything wrong - control dongle - games - Battery life - dat store - backing the 3D horse :/ Sometimes it's just best to put a pillow over somethings head and call it a day

Sennorin

Banned
Angry Fork said:
Vita having a 2nd analog allows devs to essentially make console games for on the go, which is the ultimate goal imo for handhelds.

Spilled all my milk over the keyboard. Thank you!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Tricky I Shadow said:
Wow. I'm not sure why some of you guys are finding this so hard to believe. The source is pretty reliable and I mean who saw the price cut and free games fiasco coming? Its strange times....expect the unexpected!
The fact that when you think about it logically... it doesn't make a whole lot of sense?

Angry Fork said:
Watered down console ports don't sell as much, but a real port of Modern Warfare 3 with all the same features as the console version and dual analog? That'll sell. Or an Elder Scrolls game, Bioshock, Mass Effect etc. This all depends on if Vita is successful or not though.

Basically the Vita being successful over 3DS gives gamers better options because it's the better device.
So...is the check in the mail or do you get paid in PSN points?

jman2050

Angry Fork said:
Watered down console ports don't sell as much, but a real port of Modern Warfare 3 with all the same features as the console version and dual analog? That'll sell.

To who? The people who already dropped $60 on the 360 version?

This would be super shitty of Nintendo and kind of random and desperate.

Angry Fork said:

None of those games will be released on Vita even with its two analog sticks.

Angry Fork said:

Will it be enough to drag users away from the exact same thing on consoles?

Angry Fork said:

Well, there she blows.

Tricky I Shadow said:
I still don’t think Nintendo really understand what the main problem is: third party support. It’s hurting them more than ever and if they don’t get enough of it the exact same disaster is gonna happen with the WiiU.

It seems like they understood it just fine, but the third parties don't seem to give a shit.

sfried

Angry Fork said:
"Better" would be a relative term in this case. Like the secondary touch screen, some developers could see the 3D as beneficial.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Father_Brain said:
Unfortunately for this line of thinking, the third parties that are most likely to care about dual analogs (and they ain't in Japan) also happen to be the least likely to put significant - if any - resources into dedicated handheld software.
They are also supporting the platform that doesn't actually has any inputs with feedback...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Angry Fork said:

Confused01.gif

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Angry Fork said:

Any console port to the vita would still be lacking in the control department, so it'd still be watered down.

Angry Fork

ShockingAlberto said:
So...is the check in the mail or do you get paid in PSN points?
How am I wrong though? Would you rather have Resident Evil Mercenaries with 1 analog stick or Resident Evil 6 with 2? Or Dead Space on Vita?

sfried said:
"Better" would be a relative term in this case.
More features, more control options, more power = better. So are people going to argue that PS3 isn't a better device than Wii now? (I'm not talking about games btw, that remains to be seen, i'm saying in terms of technology and the potential for future games)

jman2050 said:
To who? The people who already dropped $60 on the Xbox version?
They will sell them in packs to lower the cost. Sony has already talked about starting this, where you get both Vita and PS3 version for a certain amount and people who want to play the same games on the train or bus etc. will be interested.

RiderKairuu said:
Hate to sound cliche here but this is EXACTLY why I didn't buy one at launch.
This.

Honestly as absurd as this new hardware redsign rumor is, i wont put it past Nintendo to actually go with it.

Just to see the damage control.

Rimfya

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
They did

It's the XPeria Play

It is not doing very well

Really? Sony threw their full support for software to get that off the ground too right? Xperia is not treated like Vita, which will also miss the mark.

Nintendo needs a concentrated effort at phone hardware and online capability. If they can't see/do that, they're screwed.

FoneBone said:
Epic aside (and, OK, that's a large "aside"), not really.

Also, Infinity Blade has a very limited amount of content. It's not as though Chair could have taken the same budget and made a 6-10 hour-long, high-production-value, ground-up TPS for Vita.

Poyunch

sfried said:
"Better" would be a relative term in this case. Like the secondary touch screen, some developers could see the 3D as beneficial.
I own a 3DS and I still can't see the benefits of 3D. The Vita's various inputs just offer more potential than 3D.

KAL2006

Banned
DCharlie said:
i'm sure it's crossed their mind as part of the Playstation Suite strategy

What better way to sell your bare launch year than with staggered PS2 games for Vita / PS3?

Hand pick 10 games and fight to get them on the service :

1st : GT4 , Ico / Wander, etc
3rd : Gradius V, FF12, GTA, Dodonpachi DOJ, etc

Yes, i know i'm dreaming but the biggest value add that Sony could do for the Vita would be to add portable PS2 compatability. If they push it right then you have potential access to the best software library of any console ever published - and then there's PS1 games to... and PSP.... and the Vita games themselves...

(i know there's a ton of problems with this but hey... let me dream)
Sorry to destroy your dreams but thats not happwning mainly because releasong ps2 classics would make sony lose sales on vita games many peoe would rather buy devil may cry 3 over a game like shinobido 2 for vita so releasing a ps2 classocs line will make a barrage of games come out without each getting enough press and attentian i think they would rather re release games similar to mgs3d on 3ds

GeekyDad

Derrick01 said:
This system is a clusterfuck for the ages if this ends up being true. There's no way it's going to be comfortable as an add-on and it's going to fuck up every developer's plans and probably confuse the casuals even more.

I'm glad they recognize the extreme importance of a 2nd stick but it should have been done before launch.

There's an "extreme importance for a 2nd stick"? I don't feel the need for one at all, let alone an "extreme" need for one. And I don't think Nintendo have recognized anything, including this thread. But I'm sure they'll have a good chuckle about the rumors once it hits their offices.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Angry Fork said:
They will sell them in packs to lower the cost. Sony has already talked about starting this, where you get both Vita and PS3 version for a certain amount and people who want to play the same games on the train or bus etc. will be interested.

Kotic: Waahahaha!

Tricky I Shadow said:
I can only imagine (western?) 3rd parties have been severely critical of the lack of dual analog for rumours like this to come about. But would it bring them around?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Angry Fork said:
Says who? A vocal minority on GAF? If anything, touch gaming has gotten more popular with the DS and iPhone.

Graphics Horse said:
I can only imagine 3rd parties have been severely critical of the lack of dual analog for rumours like this to come about. But would it bring them around?
I could only see this as a possibility if Capcom was like: "We need a second analogue for Monster Hunter".

That's honestly the only way I can see this happening.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
markot said:
Outside of oddballs (Left handed people) Why is another analog thingy that important >_<?
Fantastical said:
Because that got used a lot.

That's what I'm wondering... have a lot of people been demanding another analog stick?

People that like easy camera control maybe?? Also people that love twin-stick shooters.

Father_Brain said:
No, no it isn't. At all.

MotionPlus didn't become the standard controller, the Remote Plus wasn't released for well over a year after MotionPlus, and Nintendo didn't attempt a complete rebranding of all Wii hardware and software as Wii Plus.

Hasn't MotionPlus been packed in with the system for over a year? How can ya say its not the standard controller now? Its standard by way of being packed in and the only model sold. Just cause its full functionality isn't always used doesn't make it non-standard. Just look at all the PS3 games that don't use sixaxis & analog buttons & rumble!

StickSoldier said:
Edit: Yes you can. You just to hit the home button and click the sun at the top and change the brightness. Works on everything besides DS games, I believe. I haven't actually used Netflix so I don't know about that.

Ohhh neat I had no idea about that. Not quite as good as a button dedicated to it, especially since it don't work for DS games, but its a large leap for Nintendo kind!

donny2112

ShockingAlberto said:
I just noticed the part of the article where it says the price drop was to liquidate old 3DS stock. In that case, wouldn't they not be resupplying new units?

Or launching new colors.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Angry Fork said:
How am I wrong though? Would you rather have Resident Evil Mercenaries with 1 analog stick or Resident Evil 6 with 2? Or Dead Space on Vita?

I think horror in 3D is a great prospect, personally. And Revelations doesn't seem hampered by the lacking analog stick at all.

Edit- And comparing Mercenaries to a full main Resident Evil game is just a logic trap, you're being deliberately obtuse.

Angry Fork said:

Funnily enough I never touched the second analog stick in Resident Evil 4 or 5. Mercs didn't need it, and Revolutions controls great without it. Bad example.

Angry Fork said:
More features, more control options, more power = better. So are people going to argue that PS3 isn't a better device than Wii now?

Ever heard of subjectivity?

Additionally, more power, control options and features don't always make a better platform. The implementation and uptake of these features are what matters.

Angry Fork said:

The hilarious thing is that someone thinks that these will actually sell.

Top Bottom