• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.
About how long is Final Fantasy VI? I've tried a few times within the past 10 years to beat it and every time I get to the World of Ruin I just am exhausted at the thought of finding everyone again. I want to finally put this notch on my belt, but I'm trying to weave my gameplay time around the stacked holiday releases.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
About how long is Final Fantasy VI? I've tried a few times within the past 10 years to beat it and every time I get to the World of Ruin I just am exhausted at the thought of finding everyone again. I want to finally put this notch on my belt, but I'm trying to weave my gameplay time around the stacked holiday releases.

30-40 hours on a first full play through. 20-25--ish on a replay: Speed run record is 5:15. A lot depends on how much time you spend grinding rages and lores.

I started playing Earthbound for the first time last night. I got to what I think was the first boss
Frank
and got stomped in like 2 hits. Then I turned it off because it was like midnight and figured I'd try again today.

Is this one of those early jrpgs where I need to go grind for an hour or 2, or is there some sort of trick to the fight?

I started playing Earthbound for the first time last night. I got to what I think was the first boss
Frank
and got stomped in like 2 hits. Then I turned it off because it was like midnight and figured I'd try again today.

Is this one of those early jrpgs where I need to go grind for an hour or 2, or is there some sort of trick to the fight?

Grind.

sw26

Playing through Link to the Past for the 2nd time in my life, the first being that GBA port around 12 years ago.

I absolutely love this game. Cleared 2 dungeons in the
Dark World
and there’s something so satisfying about the tight controls, excellent puzzle/dungeon design and rad music.

I wasn’t sure if it would hold up to how highly I regarded it when I originally played it but it absolutely does.

Frank

Yeah, as much as I love Earthbound, there are more than just that first boss fight that requires grinding the levels away.

30-40 hours on a first full play through. 20-25--ish on a replay: Speed run record is 5:15. A lot depends on how much time you spend grinding rages and lores.
5 hour speed run?!

Morts

I'm about 6 hours into FF6.
Terra just turned into a flying naked lady after my 3 teams took on the waves of soldiers Kefka sent at me.
It's pretty cool... but I might be done.

Re: FF VI, can anyone tell me how far I am through the game up to this point?
I just made my way through the Cave to the Sealed Gate and afterwards the airship crashed. Looks like I'm on my way back to Vector.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'm through the first 3 worlds of SMW an so far things have been going smoothly. I dunno what the point of collecting 1ups is since they reset back to 5 each time ya turn the game back on sooo I just don't go outta my way to get 'em! Just been straight level progression, no secret exits. Wonder how long it'll be until not going outta my way ta get the Green/Red switches bites me in the butt?

Psxphile

I'm through the first 3 worlds of SMW an so far things have been going smoothly. I dunno what the point of collecting 1ups is since they reset back to 5 each time ya turn the game back on sooo I just don't go outta my way to get 'em! Just been straight level progression, no secret exits. Wonder how long it'll be until not going outta my way ta get the Green/Red switches bites me in the butt?

Forest of Illusion

Walmart near me shows they just got 6 in two hours ago but the associate on the phone said they didn't have any. Weird.

I'm using this to track it.
https://www.istocknow.com/live/

Edit: Never mind, went down there, showed it was in stock and they looked at the new shipment and brought me one. Console is tinier than expected. Controller feels identical to the one I used when I was a kid. So good.

Gartooth

Just finished my playthroughs of both Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island tonight. That puts me at 9/21 games I consider finished. I'm so glad I bought this, definitely have been getting value out of it!

I just beat Super Mario RPG again...man the feels what a substantial meaty game.

It essentially it "babies first RPG", but looking at it now, the humor, and such expansion on creating a Mario lure based on what they had without making it feel out of place was just extraordinary.

Its just so sad we'll never see....

Booster
Valentina
Smithy
Jinx
Mallow
Geno

For the little time they had in a Mario game, they sure made such an impact. The parade at the end of the game too...the feels are real here.

Playing Yoshi’s Island for the first time and my first game on the Classic console. I’m loving it. The visual design is beautiful and timeless. The gameplay and world feels familiar to Mario World yet unique and fresh at the same time.

RaginRoss

Fair play to anyone that completed Super Castlevania IV without save states. Some of the stuff they expect you to do in the later levels is mental.

RaginRoss

Um, what? Castlevania is super easy compared to most games of that era. Try Super GnG, now that's a hard game.

The actual enemies/bosses are totally fine, it's more some of the platforming/stair stuff.

I guess if you get really good at that you'd be ok but they're very very harsh with the spikes in particular. Don't have the patience for that these days so i've been relying on Rewind to get me through without going insane.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Forest of Illusion
x.x; Well thats coming up tomorrow! World 4 was 2 stage + Castle for a total of like 5 minutes play time.

Ya gotta do at least 1 alternate exit to get through FoI and Chocolate Island right? Didn't think I'd have to plan out a run through of SMW!

F-Zero plays and holds up surprisingly pretty well for a 16-bit racer. First time I'm ever playing it. Tracks are pretty bare-bones but it does a really good job of giving you a feel of speed on limited hardware.

I unfortunately don't have as much good things to say for Super Mario Kart.

Christine

F-Zero plays and holds up surprisingly pretty well for a 16-bit racer. First time I'm ever playing it. Tracks are pretty bare-bones but it does a really good job of giving you a feel of speed on limited hardware.

I'm irl mad about how low F-Zero has placed on many popular lists. Throwing it in a "you can skip it" tier is especially obnoxious. F-Zero is damn near perfect and I love it. Watch parallel lines converge to a width rather than a point while you hurtle toward the future at a beautiful frame rate on the power of mode 7 tile rotation, all to the sweet score of primitive electric butt rock as you meet triumph or devastation divided only by a minute fraction of a second.

I don't think Super Mario Kart holds up as well as F-Zero, with the caveat that I think most of this limitation is due to the fact that it can only use half the screen in order to accommodate its two player mode, which is thoroughly worthwhile. The single player GP is ridiculous bullshit that you just have to overcome if you want completionist glory. The thing is that Mario Kart has never actually been decent or fair, it's always been obnoxious.

On the other hand, if you get good and practice time trials, the tracks are great and the controls are completely reliable and consistent. They are very dissimilar to modern Mario Kart mechanics but this is not actually a problem for the game.

Yeah I was having a lot of fun with it. Really barebones but fun.

I'm irl mad about how low F-Zero has placed on many popular lists. Throwing it in a "you can skip it" tier is especially obnoxious. F-Zero is damn near perfect and I love it. Watch parallel lines converge to a width rather than a point while you hurtle toward the future at a beautiful frame rate on the power of mode 7 tile rotation, all to the sweet score of primitive electric butt rock as you meet triumph or devastation divided only by a minute fraction of a second.

It was a fucking launch title, too. I really think people forget how much it blew minds out their butts.

It inspired John Carmack. Most definitely part of the reason Doom is so goddamned fast.

F-Zero absolutely deserves more respect.

He played around with making a racing game like F-Zero, the hovercraft title he played now and then with Romero. Carmack covered the floor of his computer screen with an angular blue matrix of lines. Then he started laying down images that together would make up roads. The only digital images around were big banners of Hitler from Wolfenstein, so he put those down back to back, making a highway of Hitlers surrounded by a sprawling web. Carmack could lose himself in the abstract mathematical imagery of this world, working on acceleration of movement, the sense of speed, velocity, decline.

~Masters of Doom, Spear of Destiny

The actual enemies/bosses are totally fine, it's more some of the platforming/stair stuff.

I guess if you get really good at that you'd be ok but they're very very harsh with the spikes in particular. Don't have the patience for that these days so i've been relying on Rewind to get me through without going insane.

Yeah rewind feature is a godsend, even then GnG is impossible for me.

Celine

I don't think Super Mario Kart holds up as well as F-Zero, with the caveat that I think most of this limitation is due to the fact that it can only use half the screen in order to accommodate its two player mode, which is thoroughly worthwhile. The single player GP is ridiculous bullshit that you just have to overcome if you want completionist glory. The thing is that Mario Kart has never actually been decent or fair, it's always been obnoxious.

On the other hand, if you get good and practice time trials, the tracks are great and the controls are completely reliable and consistent. They are very dissimilar to modern Mario Kart mechanics but this is not actually a problem for the game.
Correct.
The controls and physics are quite different from what we are used nowadays from Mario Kart but once you learn them SMK is a lot of fun to play.
Yes, AI is a cheating bastard especially in 150cc but overcoming it by being very good at driving fast through the tracks feels great.
No thunder or blue shell here, so if you have good driving skill you can overcome any other rivals.
On the other hand in 150cc since the rubberband AI is very rubberband, once you commit a mistake you risk to be passed whcih make any race very exciting even for expert players.
F-Zero is also very good, have no idea why many diss these two "mode 7" racing games these days.
Sure polygonal graphics is more suited for the genre but "mode 7" was a big leap over raster racing game (the curves actually exists and aren't faked!).

Has Nintendo commented on why the texture on the controllers are different from the original ones?

They haven't, but it's likely two fold.

1: Better grip since unlike modern controllers, there is no real handles.

2: Reduces the amount of hand sweating because it's not a tight flat seal.

It's an improvement, and such a minor one that many people didn't realize it or just assumed it was always that way and that older controllers were just worn down. I'm more than willing to forgive the slight tweak personally.

D.Lo

Has Nintendo commented on why the texture on the controllers are different from the original ones?
Just like how the Famicom mini was a pastiche of various Famicom revisions

famicommini_1584.jpg

It's essentially a mid-period window Famicom, it has non-launch round button controllers, but does not have the added later Famicom Family logo

The Super Famicom and controller controller had several minor revisions, and the one with the mini is a pastiche of various revisions.

The texture and colour actually perfectly matches the final revision of the SNES controller - the Super Famicom Jr controller.

It also has the indented L/R markings instead of printed ones.

PSFan

Is it possible to buy the genuine EU or JP SNES/SFC Classic controller by itself? I'd like to have one with the colored buttons for my US Classic.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is it possible to buy the genuine EU or JP SNES/SFC Classic controller by itself? I'd like to have one with the colored buttons for my US Classic.

Well, unless someone decides to sell one from the pack by itself, the only other option is to look for the Club Nintendo versions.

After putting in some time with both I def agree that FZero is funner and has aged better than Mario kart SNES.

Speaking of not aging well, Currently making my way through DKC and man it's becoming a chore. I mentioned in another thread that I can sort of see why Miyamoto resented it (if those rumors are true) that this game got so much hype while he was off perfecting the genre. When you take the game out of the context of the graphical hype, it's a lot of mediocre level design and frustrating and cheap trial and error gameplay.

After putting in some time with both I def agree that FZero is funner and has aged better than Mario kart SNES.

Speaking of not aging well, Currently making my way through DKC and man it's becoming a chore. I mentioned in another thread that I can sort of see why Miyamoto resented it (if those rumors are true) that this game got so much hype while he was off perfecting the genre. When you take the game out of the context of the graphical hype, it's a lot of mediocre level design and frustrating and cheap trial and error gameplay.

DKC2 was a lot better imo

Irminsul

DKC 1 ist awesome for speedrunning though, because that fits the level design really well. But yeah, overall, DKC 2 is the much better game.

I'm wondering how long would a 8000mah power bank keep the SNES Mini running?

I'm taking it to a friend's house and I know the controller cable length will not be enough for his living room. I have a long HDMI cable, but not a long microUSB power cable... So I'm wondering if I could power it via a portable battery pack for a few hours?

lucius

I prefer the slightly concave buttons of the US pads, I forgot how much I liked that in some games. The different colors is good at first and I even liked it on the 360 but I am hardly ever looking at the colors it’s more for new players imo.

DonMigs85

I'm wondering how long would a 8000mah power bank keep the SNES Mini running?

I'm taking it to a friend's house and I know the controller cable length will not be enough for his living room. I have a long HDMI cable, but not a long microUSB power cable... So I'm wondering if I could power it via a portable battery pack for a few hours?
Or just get cheap controller extension cords

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Forest of Illusion was no trouble. 3 levels and a castle. Its like the first SMB! The cape may be really broken but only if ya remember ta use it. I lose mine soooo much cause I never think to just keep spinning and instead try to jump on or around baddies!

Toparaman

Banned
Just like how the Famicom mini was a pastiche of various Famicom revisions

The Super Famicom and controller controller had several minor revisions, and the one with the mini is a pastiche of various revisions.

The texture and colour actually perfectly matches the final revision of the SNES controller - the Super Famicom Jr controller.

It also has the indented L/R markings instead of printed ones.

Do you know if there were any variations in the thickness of the controller? Because the Classic feels thicker than what I remember. I could be confusing it with the knockoff PC gamepad (Gravis) that I used to have.

Psxphile

Forest of Illusion was no trouble. 3 levels and a castle. Its like the first SMB! The cape may be really broken but only if ya remember ta use it. I lose mine soooo much cause I never think to just keep spinning and instead try to jump on or around baddies!

I really thought that long auto-scroll hallway in the castle would throw you for a loop. Or wait, maybe that was in the Fortress which is optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom