• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Max Payne series

Pilgrimzero

201122184748907.jpg

“Home, sweet home. Something in the night felt like a door had been opened, an echo of the past, an old monster snapping its eyes open in the depths of my brain. Closing your eyes forces you to look at the darkness inside."

I decided to revisit this series and have so far beat 1 and 2. And man are they still amazing.

You just have to love Max's internal narrative. It's so Noir.

"They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had led to this point."

"The nightmare was always the same. Violent shapes moving in darkness, old and ugly. The killer's mad laughter was a riddle filled with wicked innuendo. Somewhere the baby was crying."

More quotes here: http://www.craveonline.com/culture/188643-15-best-max-payne-quotes

I also love some callbacks in 2 to the first game. Like in the first one Max finds out the code to a door is 665 and Max says "the neighbor of the Beast". Then in 2 a guy tells him the code to a door is 667 and Guy says"You know, the neighbor of the Beast" and Max says "Yeah, I get it".

And the gameplay is just great even for its age. The first one can be kind of unfair with its shotgun guys around a corner it does often but nothing a quick F5/F9 combo doesnt fix.

And the characters aside from Max are great.

Then we get to 3. What the fuck happened? The Noir is gone. The colorful narrative Max gives is gone. He just speaks normally. The story is.... average. The gameplay is cover based and for some reason more difficult than the previous 2 games. I feel like I'm playing some sort of overly long GTA mission.

I've beaten 3 before and im sort of enjoying the replay but I really miss old Max which is an obvious stark difference coming immediately from 1 and 2.

And the movie: Garbage. Straight garbage. Someone should have lost their job over that turd. Way to miss the point of the games.

Z..

I RTTP these last year. 1 is just a bit too clunky to bother with these days to be honest... especially since 2 offers a much more complete experience in every single way.

1 is obviously still quite fun for returning players, though.

Never did get around to 3.

I never finished MP1, only ever finished the subway and hotel levels the first few times I played it, but last year I finally dove into and completed it. Ended up finishing 2 and 3 as well, which I always wanted to play but never got around to. What a series!

Needed to get a fan made patch so I could hear audio, it was never patched for newer Windows versions I think.

Game play is still great fun even today,
the writing is fantastic and fun to listen to Max's quips.

And the gameplay is just great even for its age. The first one can be kind of unfair with its shotgun guys around a corner it does often but nothing a quick F5/F9 combo doesnt fix.

That was literally the only thing I didn't like about it. Sometimes I was very immersed and forgot to quick save and had to go back a bit.
Without quick save/load that shit would have been infuriating for console players back in the day. You'll be walking down an empty hall and BOOM from a camping AI you could never see coming.

whatever you do, do not play Max Payne 1 on the PS2. Framerate goes to shit when theres 3 or more enemies on screen, ragdoll physics are not present either. Can't speak about Max Payne 2 on the ps2 yet. But I did not enjoy my experience with Max Payne 1 on the ps2. I think its safe to say play all 3 games on PC if possible.

Love the series.

Pilgrimzero

I never finished MP1, only ever finished the subway and hotel levels the first few times I played it, but last year I finally dove into and completed it. Ended up finishing 2 and 3 as well, which I always wanted to play but never got around to. What a series!

Needed to get a fan made patch so I could hear audio, it was never patched for newer Windows versions I think.

Game play is still great fun even today,
the writing is fantastic and fun to listen to Max's quips.

That was literally the only thing I didn't like about it.
Without quick save/load that shit would have been infuriating for console players back in the day.

Yeah I had to DL the audio mod to get sound in 1.

drek_max

Neo Member
Max Payne 2 was my one of the favorite games of all time. Loved every bit of it.

I love Max Payne 3. Sure, it didn't have the gritty feeling like the first two. But I like to think it as different kind of Max Payne. Flash back levels somewhat conveyed the original feeling, with modern levels telling something different. But the gunplay and enemy hit reaction along with bullet time is close to perfection. I have yet to play another 3rd person shooter with such gunplay.

And THE MUSIC, the music, it's God like, every time it plays along with the game, makes me feel other games can not. I play it on regular basis. Based on the hate this game receives on GAF, I always feel obligated to convey my unconditional love for it here whenever I get the chance.

Wallach

Man, the first Max Payne was a real landmark PC game for me. I can’t exactly put my finger on why, I think it just came out around that time in my life where I was really getting into PC gaming and graphics hardware, and it was such an amazing looking game to me at that time. Plus it was all the more fun to look at with the crazy slo-mo action happening. One of those few games that will forever be burned into my memories of growing up.

Also, the sequel still has one of my favorite themes of all time. The core MP theme is classic but that rendition of it is so damn good.

Rival

Gold Member
Man I played the crap out of Max Payne 1 on the OG Xbox back in the day. I think I liked it more than Halo. 2 was good too but I never played 3 more than about an hour. I have it on steam. Maybe I should give it another go.

1 is still finicky to get working on Windows 7 on but otherwise holds up well.

I think it's the best Max Payne. Best story and monologues, best atmosphere, and definitely best pacing. Aside from the terrible blood mazes, it's just run from one area to the next shooting everyone in sight with only painkillers and his LUST FOR REVENGE keeping Max going. Max Payne 2 could have surpassed it but I felt there were too many walking sections, the story was terrible, and slow motion was overpowered to the point that shootdive was practically pointless. Max Payne 3, well, the cutscenes ruin it and Max is a complete bumbling idiot.

And of course the Sam Lake face.

Ryde3

Only the first 2 made by Remedy matter. One of my favourite series ever. I wish we got a proper sequel to Max Payne 2.

J.D

Max Payne 3 had the best gameplay of them all, but the tone and quality of the story was definitely less engaging. I love the series though. 2 is my favorite, but that doesn't mean I don't love 3 and 1 almost the same. I really miss these games.

nkarafo

Max Payne 3 was missing some of the cool stuff you could do in 2. More particularly, the Molotov bottles you could throw to enemies and their reaction of being burned. Also, blowing up piles of chairs or barrels to see them fly around because physics are cool.

Bishop89

Havnt played the first two (though I have them on steam I'm sure)

Loved 3 a lot. The multiplayer was surprisingly fucking good.

I can't replay the game though. Those unskippable cutscenes can be blamed for that.

Ash735

Excellent series and had a lot of fun promoting Max Payne 3 (even though we all knew it was Man On Fire the game deep down). For anyone wanting to play them today on PC I highly recommend download the widescreen fixes by a talented modding community member who goes by the name of ThirteenAG (he's also done patches for many other older games on PC too): http://thirteenag.github.io/wfp#maxpayne

Beat the first and third one multiple times. Never beat the second one though. I stopped after one the Mona sniper sections.

bosseye

The first Max Payne on PC blew my mind. Loved it so much. Max Payne 2 was firmly rooted in the era of 'wow physics!' but was still great.

Max Payne 3 has far too many cutscenes though, it feels like they're every couple of minutes. Really broke the flow for me.

Diamond

1 is still finicky to get working on Windows 7 on but otherwise holds up well.

I think it's the best Max Payne. Best story and monologues, best atmosphere, and definitely best pacing. Aside from the terrible blood mazes, it's just run from one area to the next shooting everyone in sight with only painkillers and his LUST FOR REVENGE keeping Max going. Max Payne 2 could have surpassed it but I felt there were too many walking sections, the story was terrible, and slow motion was overpowered to the point that shootdive was practically pointless. Max Payne 3, well, the cutscenes ruin it and Max is a complete bumbling idiot.

And of course the Sam Lake face.

Amen to that.

2 is one of my fav games of all time. Love the writing and gunplay so much. Really well paced which made it great to replay over and over.

3 is a really different beast. Max feels so different but I liked it as a weird fever dream despite losing a lot of what made the first 2 so engaging.

All 3 (and Alan Wake) really sing on PC compared to the console ports, I play 99% of games on console but trying to play 3 on PS3 was a horrific experience in terms of control. I hated AW with a passion on 360 as well but came to love it once it released on PC.

PantsuJo

The first game suffer from the same problem of Witcher 1: controls aged badly for modern standards.

But it's a great game (and the sequel too!) with great noir theme!

I didn't love the third game... Honestly, it was a decent action game but it's not a *true* Max Payne.

Ravelle

I actually don't remember much of the first game. Played the second one about 15 times though.

All I remember is bullet dodging like crazy. It was amazing when that mechanic got introduced.

I really loved Max Payne 3, it's basically Taken and John Wick.

Played through both Max Payne 1 and 2 not long ago, took some screenshots of both games in 4k...

Max Payne 1:

Max Payne 2:

Both games are being played with wide screen hacks and a few fan made fixes. Both games are running at their highest settings. Max Payne 1 actually still looks pretty good to this day. Yeah the character models are a little weird at times, and so are some of the facial textures. But the environments still look great and had fantastic texture work for its day. Max Payne 2 was released two years later and does have a much better bump overall in character models and environmental effects. Characters have simplistic facial animations but it was an improvement over the first game. Max Payne 2 also made use of havok physics. Max Payne 2 has a pretty clean look to it in HD.

I am also a fan of Max Payne 3. Yeah it does take the game in a different direction, I feel like if you want to play something more like Max Payne 1 and 2, go with Alan Wake and Quantum Break instead. But Max Payne 3 is a solid third person shooter in its own right. Still has some of the nicest character response animations in a game to date.

T.O.P

Banned
First two games are absolute classics, infinitely replayable too

It's a shame that i can't seem to run MP1 on my W10 pc...always some weird issues :(

sephiroth7x

Original game is the reason I built myself a PC for the first time. Loved it and the style. Second was equally as good. Genuinely cannot stand the third... really do not enjoy it at all. I fought with it to finish it but it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
One of my all time favourite series. MP2 being GOAT and Mona Sax being my all-time favourite character. Loved MP3 too, including the multiplayer (which I sorely miss... only one I’ve ever been good at!).

Man, I put in serious hours into every entry replaying set-pieces over and over to see what crazy shit I could do. I think I nearly clocked a full hour in one of the Dead Man Walking arenas from MP2. Stoned out my mind and completely fucking zen.

OP, if you haven’t already, download Kenneth Yeung’s Kung Fu 3.0 for MP1. It’s amazing.

SJRB

Gold Member
Max Payne 3 is such a great game if you play it in one go. You really go off the deep end with Max, it's a pretty harsh experience because the game is relentlessly depressing.

And that soundtrack, holy shit. God-tier music by HEALTH.

There's so many shooters that would be more fun if their guns shot physically modeled bullets like instead of magic hitscan lasers. Much as I love FEAR, it bums me out that you can't dodge bullets in that game like you do in Max Payne.

The continuing prevalence of hitscan, 17 years on from MP's release, is something I'd love to ask a designer about.

Em3112

Neo Member
I enjoyed all 3 of them.

played MP2 about 3 years ago for the last time. It held up pretty well. Was still an enjoyable experience.

I have mixed feelings on the 3th version. Too much cutscenes for my liking.

shaneo632

The original MP is probably my most-played game ever. I also love the sequel but used to always get stuck on the sniper part near the end of the game.

I remember dreading MP3 because of the aesthetic change but I ended up loving it. I would be so down for a fourth game but it doesn't seem likely to ever happen :(

Catphish

It was my third winter living in Florida when I played MP1 and, as a Chicago native, I wasn't really enjoying myself due to the lack of seasons, no snow in December, etc.

I remember the scene in the game where you're on a rooftop as the winter storm settled in, wind whipping and snow blowing like hell, and me feeling both really impressed by how good it looked, and really depressed by how much I missed snow and a proper Christmas with my family up north.

I remember cracking a beer and just sitting there awhile.

The game was excellent for many other reasons, but that's always the first thing I remember when I think of Max Payne.

VAD

Max Payne 3 is a great game burdened by a slew of bad decisions. I’m not sure a good Max Payne game can be done again. Quantum Break showed that Remedy itself cannot probably do one again.
« Tonight, I dreamt of a good Max Payne game, I was happy »

Max Payne 2 was the best to me, I can still remember vividly the atmosphere and the intensity of the gunfights.

shimon

It was my third winter living in Florida when I played MP1 and, as a Chicago native, I wasn't really enjoying myself due to the lack of seasons, no snow in December, etc.

I remember the scene in the game where you're on a rooftop as the winter storm settled in, wind whipping and snow blowing like hell, and me feeling both really impressed by how good it looked, and really depressed by how much I missed snow and a proper Christmas with my family up north.

I remember cracking a beer and just sitting there awhile.

The game was excellent for many other reasons, but that's always the first thing I remember when I think of Max Payne.

I remember playing it for the first time in December (we had snow btw) and I thought: "What a great timing to play this game"

tuna_love

Banned
the first 2 are in my top three favourite games ever but i dont really like the 3rd one at all other that some funny dives

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Max Payne 3 was missing some of the cool stuff you could do in 2. More particularly, the Molotov bottles you could throw to enemies and their reaction of being burned. Also, blowing up piles of chairs or barrels to see them fly around because physics are cool.

It's weird, 'cause the Multiplayer in 3 had a throwable weapons that included Molotovs.

BrumGB

I think I played this when I was 12.. I had to stop because the blood trail level scared the life out of me. *crying baby sound*

KonradLaw

Yeah, great first two entries. Max Payne 3 isn't even that bad on it's own, it's just terrible Max Payne game, where it's obvious the developers had literally no clue what made the previous two work so damn well, both in gameplay, as well as in story/atmosphere.

m00h

Banned
Max Payne is pure love. Max Payne 1 is my most replayed SP game (followed by HL2) and I still replay it once a year, somewhere around Christmas. I know every single corner, every glitch, every easter egg, practically everything in this game.
Max Payne 2 was also a great game, but never could be the original for me.
Max Payne 3 was an ok action game, but it wasn't a Max Payne game. They should have call it Dick Justice, would make more sense.
I still dream of a sequel, but we all know it ain't gonna happen.

Man, the first Max Payne was a real landmark PC game for me. I can’t exactly put my finger on why, I think it just came out around that time in my life where I was really getting into PC gaming and graphics hardware, and it was such an amazing looking game to me at that time. Plus it was all the more fun to look at with the crazy slo-mo action happening. One of those few games that will forever be burned into my memories of growing up.

Also, the sequel still has one of my favorite themes of all time. The core MP theme is classic but that rendition of it is so damn good.

I have the same love for MP2. It came out when i had just gotten into PC upgrading/building etc. I was working in a shitty job in a supermarket, dreaming of one day getting some PC certifications and getting a good job, and i played Max Payne 2 to death that winter. The ragdoll physics were amazing at the time. Id never seen anything like it.That game will always have a special place for me, i still have my 3 CD boxed version.

Top Bottom