• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

GKB

I've tried to search online but can't find a definitive answer so maybe someone here can help please?

Thinking of not purchasing GTS and looking to set up a somewhat racing sim and giving Project Cars 2 a try in September'ish!

Looking to use aura transducers x2 with required amps (?) but as a console can't have a moving simulator unless I spend big bucks (I recently made a thread on it but no-one viewed or replied lol). So a shaker set up will have to do (for now). Already got a Wheel Stand Pro so just need a seat.

Anyways, Project Cars 1 is available on psn till tonight (uk) for £12 so would like to get it just to have a mess about till PC2.

However, I'd like to know if Nascar is included in PC1 along with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Had a look a youtube and still can't find out.

Does anybody know? Is there a list of all tracks/cars for ps4?

Cheers :)

There are a couple of stock cars, but there isn't any oval to race them on. I think it got scrapped from the final version.

Still absolutely worth it on PS4 for £12. You're getting the final patched experience and free dlc cars and tracks (and some paid). A lot (not all) of the issues have been dealt with.

What DLC would I need to get?

Really bummed about the no Nascar though. Looks f'in brilliant on the PC. I can only dream how great it would have felt - the handling looked amazing on the footage I saw.

Mascot

Any recommendations for the DLC? What was worth it to you the most?

Crikey, I can't remember what was DLC and what wasn't. I think I bought it all.

Edit: from GTP

Car pack "Modified Car Pack"
- Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster
- Ruf CTR3 SMS-R
- Ariel Atom 3 Mugen
Price: £1.99

Car pack "Premium Car Pack"
- Mercedes-AMG C-Class Coupe DTM
- Sauber C9
- BMW M1 ProCar
- 1967 Ford Mk IV
- McLaren F1
Price £3.99

Car Pack "racing icons"
- 2003 Bentley speed 8
- 2013 Bentley continental GT3
- 1999 BMW V12LMR
- 1997 McLaren F1 GTR Longtail
- 1998 Mercedes-Benz CLK-LM
Price:£2.85

Extension "Audi Ruapuna Speedway"
- 2014 Audi R18 e-tron
- 2002 Audi R8 LMP900
- 1989 Audi 90 IMSA GTO
- Ruapuna Speedway
Price:£4.49

Car Pack "new vs old"
- 2015 Ford mustang GT
- 1966 Ford Mustang 2+2 fastback
- 1972 BMW 2002 turbo
- 2012 BMW BTCC 3-series Touring Car
- 1987 RUF CTR Yellowbird
Price:£2.89

Extension "Aston Martin"
- 2013 Vantage V8 GTE
- 1959 Aston MartinDBR1
- 2009 Aston Martin DBR1-2
- Mojave test track
Price: £4.49

Car pack "Japanese car pack"
- 2013 Scion FR-S
- 2015 Scion FR-S Rocket Bunny
- 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX FQ360
- 1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME
- 2013 Toyota 86
- 2013 Toyota GT-86
- 2015 Toyota GT-86 Rocket Bunny GT Edition
- 2014 Toyota TS040 Hybrid
Price: £2.89

Extension "Lotus Classic"
- 1962 Lotus 25 Formula 1
- 1965 Lotus 40
- 1970 Lotus 49 C Formula 1
- 1967 Lotus 51 Formula Ford
- 1966 Lotus 38 Indy
- Silverstone historic
- Hockenheim Classic
- Rouen Les Essarts
Price: £6.19

Car Pack "Renault Sport"
- 2012 Renault Sport Megane Trophy II V6
- 2015 Formula Renault 3.5
- 1978 Renault Alpine A442B
- 2015 Renault Sport R.S.01
- 2013 Renault Sport R.S. 275 Trophy

Extension "Stanceworks track extension"
- 2013 KTM XX-BOW-R
- 2015 MX-5 Radbul Formula Drift
- 2015 BMW 1-series M-coupe Stanceworks
- BMW 2002 Turbo Stance works edition
- Bannochbrae

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/project-cars-dlc.327456/

So 6 tracks in all those.

Is there any Nascar/Stock car or Touring Cars in any of those? Sorry, not the most up-to-date guy about cars!

edit:Thanks Danowat.

fresquito

The track packs are all worth getting, even Ruapuna which is like a tarmac spill in a farmer's field.
Ruapuna is an excellent track. Unless you only race super fast cars, in which case it is not.

There is a 3 series touring car, and the latest (?) Stock car.
Vanilla has Clio and DTM as TC. BMW DLC has BMW 2002 (modern). Then there's Historic TC (I think three or four in vanilla).

Mascot

It's an excellent track for GT5 :p

I just never got on with Ruapuna at all, even in the slower cars. I didn't like how it flowed as a track, and I didn't like the overall layout, topography and aesthetics. It just never appealed to me from day one, and always seemed like a bit of an odd choice for DLC when (to my mind) there were more obvious and 'deserving' omissions in the roster. I understand that costs and other licensing issues were probably at the heart of the decision, but didn't somebody in WMD have local ties with the circuit and campaigned hard for its inclusion?

I guess deep down I also resented Ruapuna because it took one of the very limited track DLC 'slots' and the resources spent on it meant that other circuits much higher up my personal wish-list had less chance of appearing. I realise that's an overly simplistic view and that there were complex machinations happening behind the scenes, but I always considered it a bit of a wasted opportunity. I guess SMS are to be applauded for including obscure, niche and neglected tracks, but there might be solid reasons why they are neglected.

Maybe I need to revisit it again, along with a whole bunch of other lesser-played circuits. Since I stopped playing organised multiplayer (as the bugs became unbearable and fellow members migrated to other games) I've tended to only play a handful of favourite tracks in single player races (with Monza being my current go-to choice for quick races in pCARS and Assetto Corsa). Perhaps I need to cast my net a bit wider again.

fresquito

Man, SMS need to put their shit together and control what gets uploaded. This video by PRC shows a Porsche, when the license hasn't be officially announced yet. It's either old or poorly rendered (doesn't seem to include the lighting and "mist" edits made in recent times) and is using a FOV that showcases a bug with specs (certain FOVs don't show specs).

Reading WMD2, it seems the game director wasn't aware of this going public. So it's either a slip my the PRC guy or by someone that approved something that should have never been approved.

Man, everytime I see new fuckup I'm tempted to upload a video myself.

Mascot

Man, SMS need to put their shit together and control what gets uploaded. This video by PRC shows a Porsche, when the license hasn't be officially announced yet. It's either old or poorly rendered (doesn't seem to include the lighting and "mist" edits made in recent times) and is using a FOV that showcases a bug with specs (certain FOVs don't show specs).

Reading WMD2, it seems the game director wasn't aware of this going public. So it's either a slip my the PRC guy or by someone that approved something that should have never been approved.

Man, everytime I see new fuckup I'm tempted to upload a video myself.

Get your views in quick people before it gets pulled..! :p

Does the newer stuff have starker contrast? It looks a little washed out to me, but that's just my personal preference.

fresquito

Get your views in quick people before it gets pulled..! :p

Does the newer stuff have starker contrast? It looks a little washed out to me, but that's just my personal preference.
Yes, nailing contrast in clear conditions has been the main objective for the latest light edits. That strange blue mist has also been heavily reduced and now looks far more natural. Overall, the lighting now has far richer colors without looking cartoony.

Of course, specs add a lot in sunny conditions too.

Mascot

Yes, nailing contrast in clear conditions has been the main objective for the latest light edits. That strange blue mist has also been heavily reduced and now looks far more natural. Overall, the lighting now has far richer colors without looking cartoony.

Sounds encouraging. Is it (dare I say it) a little more Gran Turismo-ish in colour and contrast now?

Of course, specs add a lot in sunny conditions too.

Specs?

Oakley-Sunglasses-OO9262-01fw350fh218.75.jpg

fresquito

It is closer to GTS than it is to this video. But GTS is in my opinion a bit too contrasty for its own good. Specially gameplay GTS.

Mascot

It is closer to GTS than it is to this video. But GTS is in my opinion a bit too contrasty for its own good. Specially gameplay GTS.

So long as blacks and shadows don't get crushed and highlights aren't blown out then I'm sure it looks great. It's always a very tricky balancing act in SDR, especially with a global illumination solution. Hopefully the PS Pro and Scorpio versions will both support HDR.

cooldawn

Team VVV have some direct feed controller gameplay up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv7V1qNMOO8

They weren't very impressed with the controller implementation. Hopefully that gets fixed before release, because that's a deal breaker for me. They've had plenty of time though, and they've previously noted it was one of their top priorities in PCars 2, so I don't have a lot of confidence on that front.
I've just watched this and I got to say it looks like the over-responsive controls of Assetto Corsa to me. Project CARS is nowhere near that bad either.

I didn't like the video. He was impressed by the visuals...really? Racing games have never done day-to-night blue sky before...really? The Crew does that. Gran Turismo has been doing it since 2010 already. Did he not see all the tearing?

Gobsmacked.

VVV Mars VG

I've just watched this and I got to say it looks like the over-responsive controls of Assetto Corsa to me. Project CARS is nowhere near that bad either.

I didn't like the video. He was impressed by the visuals...really? Racing games have never done day-to-night blue sky before...really? The Crew does that. Gran Turismo has been doing it since 2010 already. Did he not see all the tearing?

Gobsmacked.

Controls are still a work on progress, as Ed mentions in the video, some cars are further along than others. While the level of simulation makes it hard to pick and play on your first go, Rallycross is going to take some serious practice to get right.

I've not heard the day to night thing, Ed is a skilled drifter in real life and on Assetto Corsa, indeed he's drifting in Japan as we speak. Ed's all about the car handling, rather than any given aspect on graphics, as a sim racer anything is better than some of the popular sim titles out there, so his point of reference was off.

So long as blacks and shadows don't get crushed and highlights aren't blown out then I'm sure it looks great. It's always a very tricky balancing act in SDR, especially with a global illumination solution. Hopefully the PS Pro and Scorpio versions will both support HDR.

I dont think adding HDR is such a big thing that the base ps4 and xb1s shouldnt also have hdr.

Sidenote: How long have you been using your cronusmax? Any issues?

Im looking into making a stupid purchase (of the german variety) and might invest in one.

Effect

Hope the sound mixing is a LOT better. Hate how loud the engine sound is in PCars 1. It drowns out all the other sounds and is simply to loud overall.

Mascot

I dont think adding HDR is such a big thing that the base ps4 and xb1s shouldnt also have hdr.

Sidenote: How long have you been using your cronusmax? Any issues?

Im looking into making a stupid purchase (of the german variety) and might invest in one.
The CronusMAX has been flawless. Been using it for a while with Assetto Corsa and the CSR Elite with zero issues. It's a superb bit of kit.

The CronusMAX has been flawless. Been using it for a while with Assetto Corsa and the CSR Elite with zero issues. It's a superb bit of kit.

They sell it directly from Amazon now apparently. If I do go mad and drop all this money on the clubsport v2.5 wheelbase I guess ill buy it to get ps4 functionality. Almost dont want to out of spite for that picklock guy trying to promote it on here when it didnt have ffb.

Mascot

They sell it directly from Amazon now apparently. If I do go mad and drop all this money on the clubsport v2.5 wheelbase I guess ill buy it to get ps4 functionality. Almost dont want to out of spite for that picklock guy trying to promote it on here when it didnt have ffb.
Well, it came good in the end. To everyone's surprise, I think.

Hoping for a similar Bone solution now. We can then regress a few years to an affordable one-wheel solution before all this bullshit was forced upon us.

I've heard that the ChronusMAX code for getting FFB working is supposedly "stolen" from the GIMX project (quotation marks because it's open source), but I haven't seen evidence, just multiple people saying this.

Also Arduino GIMX is cheaper than ChronusMAX for getting PS3 Logitech wheels working on PS4 and you can theoretically (with a PC connection) get any wheel working on PS4 - don't ask me for details or if it will support all wheels without a PC connection in the future ...or how much setting up that might be.

Just wanted to drop this for consideration since there have been so many ChronusMAX recommendations on GAF lately.

Mascot

I've heard that the ChronusMAX code for getting FFB working is supposedly "stolen" from the GIMX project (quotation marks because it's open source), but I haven't seen evidence, just multiple people saying this.

Also Arduino GIMX is cheaper than ChronusMAX for getting PS3 Logitech wheels working on PS4 and you can theoretically (with a PC connection) get any wheel working on PS4 - don't ask me for details or if it will support all wheels without a PC connection in the future ...or how much setting up that might be.

Just wanted to drop this for consideration since there have been so many ChronusMAX recommendations on GAF lately.

I know little about GIMX but don't you need to daisy-chain it through a PC or laptop? What I like about the CronusMAX is that it's up and running in less than a minute (after a one-time initial set-up) and doesn't require booting up a PC or laptop, or even having one nearby. I'm still happily amazed that such solutions exist - the early attempts made all sorts of bold claims but were absolutely fucking useless.

Sony should be happy, too. I'd never have bought Assetto Corsa or considered GTS or pCARS 2 on the PS4 without such a device. In fact, I probably would have left the Sony ecosystem entirely rather than be forced to bin my existing Fanatec hardware.

I know little about GIMX but don't you need to daisy-chain it through a PC or laptop?
GIMX FAQ said:
  • works on PC under Ubuntu-based distros or Windows
  • works on Raspberry Pi under Raspbian
  • up to 8 profiles per controller
  • on-the-fly profile switch with switch back mode and configurable delay
  • supported devices: mice, keyboards, joysticks (gamepads, wheels, ...)
  • force feedback support for Logitech wheels (G27, G25, DFGT, ...) with the PS4
  • force feedback support for all wheels with the PS4, running GIMX on Windows
The way I interpret this is that PS3-gen Logitech wheels work with PS4 directly, just if you want other wheels like a TX or a direct drive wheel to work with a PS4, you need to be running it through windows.

Seems to work like a ChronusMAX in that regard.

The way I interpret this is that PS3-gen Logitech wheels work with PS4 directly, just if you want other wheels like a TX or a direct drive wheel to work with a PS4, you need to be running it through windows.

Seems to work like a ChronusMAX in that regard.
Is the compatibility with xbox one available, meaning that i can plug t500 somehow to xbox one!?

Is the compatibility with xbox one available, meaning that i can plug t500 somehow to xbox one!?

phew... don't make me the "GIMX-guy" here, I haven't tried it myself and don't know anyone with hands-on experience!

I found this for you:
https://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2072&sid=3b5a454b0aa6e6c73a801c2052062e2d

Seems like the guys behind GIMX are looking into that, but nothing yet. As far as I know there is a more complicated encryption module build into official Xbox One peripherals. Personally I wouldn't assume that's gonna work, but the guys behind GIMX probably know more about it than me and that they are looking into it, means that there is a chance.

However except for Forza 5, 6 and Horizon 2(edit: and believe me, the FFB in those is sad(!), but seems like Turn10 is investing in better FFB for Forza 7 for the first time really), you can play play all racing games that are on Xbox One on a PC too with a T500: That wheel is supported by DirectX 12 games.
I'm guessing that's not an option for you with your rig, but wanted to mention that still.

Shocking confession:

I havent had a pc for 3 years. I had 3 pc's and they all died for various reasons in 2013. Surprised how long I've got on without one (cell phones are real powerful) but im also looking at laptops for this spending spree I'm about to go on.

phew... don't make me the "GIMX-guy" here, I haven't tried it myself and don't know anyone with hands-on experience!

I found this for you:
https://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2072&sid=3b5a454b0aa6e6c73a801c2052062e2d

Seems like the guys behind GIMX are looking into that, but nothing yet. As far as I know there is a more complicated encryption module build into official Xbox One peripherals. Personally I wouldn't assume that's gonna work, but the guys behind GIMX probably know more about it than me and that they are looking into it, means that there is a chance.

However except for Forza 5, 6 and Horizon 2(edit: and believe me, the FFB in those is sad(!), but seems like Turn10 is investing in better FFB for Forza 7 for the first time really), you can play play all racing games that are on Xbox One on a PC too with a T500: That wheel is supported by DirectX 12 games.
I'm guessing that's not an option for you with your rig, but wanted to mention that still.
thx for reply, consoles are more convinient for me, money wise. I am thinking of buying used x1s and maybe tx base, since i have 2 wheels for t500 and ricmotech load cell on t500 pedals. I just loved to cruise around in forza horizon on x360. Sry for the off topic here :-(

Shocking confession:

I havent had a pc for 3 years. I had 3 pc's and they all died for various reasons in 2013. Surprised how long I've got on without one (cell phones are real powerful) but im also looking at laptops for this spending spree I'm about to go on.

I don't like laptops for gaming.
If the main reason behind the gaming laptop is that you can use a laptop for office stuff and take it to your living room to play games on the TV: I just use a looong HDMi cable to use my office-room PC on my wheel setup (with looong USB cables and a wireless keyboard with built-in trackpad). To play PC games in the living room, I have a Steam Link, it has a latency of 6ms on a 5GHz Wi-Fi, never tried to use a wheel with it though, but FFB wheels are supported as far as I know.

As the FFB connoisseur that you are, I think you really would like Automobilista and the newer cars from rFactor 2 (also don't need a high-end PC, Automobilista runs at over 400fps on my GTX 970 @1080p).

thx for reply, consoles are more convinient for me, money wise. I am thinking of buying used x1s and maybe tx base, since i have 2 wheels for t500 and ricmotech load cell on t500 pedals. I just loved to cruise around in forza horizon on x360. Sry for the off topic here :-(
I also have a T500 and a TX. I love the TX sooo much more than the T500. Yes, it's not as strong and the fan is annoying, but the force-fidelity is so much higher and feels more fluid. You will definitely like the TX base... fingers crossed for Forza 7 FFB.

Mascot

Ian Bell has posted about pad control improvements over at GTP

One of our WMD members just posted this:

'I posted a rant here a year or so back about the gamepad steering in Project CARS 2, including how I mimicked a wheel with my Xbox One controller in Project CARS (1) to make the game playable on PC, which I suspect very nearly got me booted. While this may be taken with a bit of measure given that, I've just tried Project CARS 2 again for the first time since and I've honestly got to say BEST STEERING EVER. Driving on a gamepad in the current dev build with default/no assists is purely feel, allowing even this mediocre driver to brake steer throughout - unlike any current game competitors. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I may play the Acura/Dubai practice all night long...'

As I alluded to above, we're over mid way through setting steering ratios for all cars for pad users. For those completed, we feel the pad is as good as anything out there, crucially without 'over-filtering' the players input to make it work.

Encouraging stuff. I think decent out-of-the-box pad controls will be critical for pCARS 2's success after complaints about the first game. Good to see confirmation that SMS recognise this and are taking strides to correct it.

Klocker

Encouraging stuff. I think decent out-of-the-box pad controls will be critical for pCARS 2's success after complaints about the first game. Good to see confirmation that SMS recognise this and are taking strides to correct it.

Great to hear this.. as much as I am curious what F7 is doing on Scorpio, PC2 has me more intrigued and excited. So gamepad play is paramount. pC1 was horrible with anything besides GT cars which were bad at first but improved. I am playing pc1 now again and really enjoying it
with race cars

saladine1

Hmmm...just tried some cars out with the pad and......indeed, I can actually control the cars.
That steering ratio problem from before seems to have been fixed, at least for the cars I tried.
Feels SO MUCH BETTER than any previous SMS game that's for sure. At the moment, I agree with Bell that it feels on par with other games without that 'over filtering' feel he mentioned.
Very encouraging indeed..

Mascot

Hmmm...just tried some cars out with the pad and......indeed, I can actually control the cars.
That steering ratio problem from before seems to have been fixed, at least for the cars I tried.
Feels SO MUCH BETTER than any previous SMS game that's for sure. At the moment, I agree with Bell that it feels on par with other games without that 'over filtering' feel he mentioned.

Never mind all that Sal - you're our audio guy.

TELL US ABOUT THE SOUNDS.

:p

(encouraging indeed..!)

saladine1

Yeah, the audio, along with the physics thread, is the most active in terms of input from players and devs. They are working around the clock, updating,mixing,tweaking and implementing the sounds in the game. At the moment, the focus is on the actual engine sounds and the mixing before moving onto the other effects such as transmission, overrun,backfires,cockpit effects,systemic reverb, turbo spool..etc, the so called icing on the cake as it were.

I must say, the audio devs (Baysted and co.) are being hounded by the audio fans lol, but they are keeping their cool thus far. Things are on track and the audio is getting better and better build by build..

Mascot

Yeah, the audio, along with the physics thread, is the most active in terms of input from players and devs. They are working around the clock, updating,mixing,tweaking and implementing the sounds in the game. At the moment, the focus is on the actual engine sounds and the mixing before moving onto the other effects such as transmission, overrun,backfires,cockpit effects,systemic reverb, turbo spool..etc, the so called icing on the cake as it were.

I must say, the audio devs (Baysted and co.) are being hounded by the audio fans lol, but they are keeping their cool thus far. Things are on track and the audio is getting better and better build by build..

Good to hear - literally! :)

What the more hardcore sims on console need to make people coming from GT and Forza, having a go with the controller and saying "this controls great" is steering aids.

Some people say, that a game is either made for a wheel or for a controller and the thing it's not made for will always feel bad, but I don't think it's true at all.
In my opinion games like Forza and GT under-simulate on purpose because it's aimed at controller players and that means that there are things missing to make a wheel feel good. Games like pCARS and Assetto Corsa on the other do simulate these things, but don't want to give the people with the inferior input method a helping hand to compensate in fear of making it too easy for them and angering their hardcore audience (and since Microsoft's "TV TV TV", we know how sideways that can go).
They do filtering and speed sensitive steering, but they don't do what Forza for example does:
- limiting the input range depending on front slip-angle to avoid (too much) understeer by too much steering input
- helping the player in correcting a slide. On the wheel, you would correct with one
counter-movement with the right quickness for that slide, then smoothly go back to the needed angle to take the rest of the corner. On "normal steering" in Forza, it's made that you can correct a slide with a quick flip in the other correction and the controller aid will make you not counter-steer too quickly (so you'd have to correct in the other direction again) and - I think - in larger slight it even lowers the rotational inertia, so the snapping back in the opposite direction will be manageable.

I think options for controller helps like that should be in a game aimed at every racing fan and not just the hardcore... just like a braking aid and TC and ABS for cars that wouldn't have them in real life. Should controller aids give the controller players too much of an advantage, then flag them on the leaderboards and put in filtering options so they won't be shown.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Great to hear this.. as much as I am curious what F7 is doing on Scorpio, PC2 has me more intrigued and excited. So gamepad play is paramount. pC1 was horrible with anything besides GT cars which were bad at first but improved. I am playing pc1 now again and really enjoying it
with race cars

Same.

I love racing with my wheel, but it's cumbersome to set up. Pad use is a must as I expect much of my play time with this to be on a pad. And I could see this as a game that really differentiates the scorpio version from the xb1 game.

danowat

Banned
I'll take the controller feedback with a pinch of salt, I seem to remember people saying it was fine in PC1 prior to release too.

Give me a console beta and I'll tell you whether it's any good or not.

Top Bottom