• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jamie Lee Curtis returns to Halloween

Big Nikus

Kinda does, but without a S3 it becomes an actual ending. You'll see.

Okay thanks :)
I need more Chad in my life.

On topic : I watched all the Halloween movies for the first time last year.
The first one is a masterpiece. Halloween 2 was good. Halloween 3 was good too, and they sould have continued the series as an anthology.
Some good stuff in 4. Less so in 5. After that, I don't understand what the fuck happened.
Kinda intrigued by the next one though. H2O wasn't boring at least.

I'm way more knowledgeable about F13 and Nightmare on Elm Street than the Halloween series. Is Danielle Harris's character alive or dead?

-shadow-

Jamie Lloyd is in part 4 and 5 the main character and is in both cuts of 6, but gets killed off in both. But more glorious (read bloody) than in the other. I really do recommend 4 to those that enjoyed the original two, it's a great sequel following those two and also has Ellie Cornell, who plays my favourite character in the series. And I'll never forgive the writes of 5 what they did to her.

Ithil

I'm way more knowledgeable about F13 and Nightmare on Elm Street than the Halloween series. Is Danielle Harris's character alive or dead?

The character died in (the terrible) Halloween 6, but 4, 5 and 6 were struck from canon by H20, and Danielle Harris didn't even play her in Halloween 6. Given this is going from Halloween 2 her character wouldn't even exist.

SilentMike03

Neo Member
All the talk in this thread made me realize how little I remember about the Halloween franchise. I only remembered after reading the endings of them. I think I just abandoned the series when I heard Resurrection was about people making an internet show or some shit. It just seemed so lame to me.

Hell yes. It's fucking fantastic and Carpenter directed most of it uncredited.

No it's not, and no he didn't :p

He did some reshoots, not most of it. He admits that Halloween 2 was a failure despite his best efforts. The sister crap is so so dumb. Jamie's wig is AWFUL. It reshoots (and messes up) the ending of the original movie.

I mean, I get why people like it, but it isn't anything like as good as the original.

Steamlord

He did some reshoots, not most of it. He admits that Halloween 2 was a failure despite his best efforts. The sister crap is so so dumb. Jamie's wig is AWFUL. It reshoots (and messes up) the ending of the original movie.

I mean, I get why people like it, but it isn't anything like as good as the original.
(Shoots Michael seven times..with a revolver)
"I SHOT HIM SIX TIMES!"

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

There's barely anything left of Rosenthal in H2. John had the movie in his directed section for years on his official site. He didn't just do a few days of reshoots during the Halloween for TV shooting. He ghost directed the flick. He let Rick have the credit because he actually liked the guy and wanted him to have a career. Any Halloween fan knows this. Shame I can't link the page anymore with the explanation because it's been down for years. (Yes I did check on the Wayback Machine)

And it is fantastic.

Cranster

Banned
i agree and am kind of sad it is no longer canon

1-2-H20 was always my trilogy
I was more of a Thorn trilogy fan. H20 was a good movie but it just felt way too similar to Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer than an actual Halloween film. Halloween 6 may have been gutted to hell and non-sensicle due to studo interference but it's music and atmosphere made it feel like it was taking place on Halloween.

I never got into Halloween, is Micheal Myers just a crazy guy or a supernatural being?

Short answer: yeah, he's supernatural.

Long answer (because I love talking about Halloween): This is full on spoiler territory for the first one if you haven't seen it and wish to, but it's revealed over the course of the runtime that Myers is a bit supernatural. He spends the majority of the movie stalking Laurie (and her friends) while they are mostly oblivious. Laurie notices him early on during the daytime and becomes a bit paranoid while her friends shrug it off as some boys from their school fooling around. Later that night Laurie babysits Tommy who's become a bit paranoid himself since some bullies tell him that the Boogeyman is going to come and get him. When he tells Laurie this she says that the Boogeyman isn't real and those kids were playing tricks on him.

Tommy notices Myers twice while looking out the window, once when Myers was just standing around being the scariest motherfucker ever and another when he was carrying the body of Laurie's friend that he just murdered. Tommy freaks the fuck out and starts screaming that "the Boogeyman is outside!" but Laurie doesn't see anything and basically tells him to chill out.

Meanwhile, Myers's doctor Loomis has teamed up with the town sheriff to track him down. Loomis basically warns everybody throughout the film that Myers is more than he seems. He even goes as far to describe him as walking evil and not a man. Of course nobody takes Loomis seriously which is what led Myers to escaping in the first place. Even the sheriff is sceptical even though he still helps Loomis with the hunt.

Myers finally attacks towards the end of the movie. Laurie manages to thwart Myers several times, but despite being seemingly put down he keeps getting back up. Finally it looks like he's got her when Loomis shows up and shoots Michael six times who falls off a balcony to the ground below. When Loomis checks on Laurie she looks at him and says "it was the Boogeyman" which Loomis replies "as a matter of fact, it was." Loomis then looks over the balcony to see that Myers has disappeared again. Loomis, however, is not surprised at this and even looks as if he suspected it. Then the camera cuts to places Myers had been or maybe is at now while we hear his breathing as the credits start rolling.

The only characters that had a clue what was going on the entire movie were the ones that nobody took seriously. Even while watching it, the audience isn't quite sure if Myers is just some crazy guy with a knife or something more. Finally by the end, it's confirmed to us that he is the Boogeyman.

Should I watch Halloween II (1981) ?

Yes, I have a lot of love for it which is in part due to nostalgia I admit. It's definitely more of a typical slasher which reflects the genre in the year it was made. Unlike the first, there are kills that exist for no other reason than upping the bodycount. There's also quite a bit of ridiculousness that I won't spoil here. Carpenter's presence is felt despite not having directed the majority (he added a few scenes after the movie had wrapped). He did, however, write the screenplay again with Debra Hill even though he admits having to drink beer to get though it. The movie does a good job in emulating much of the style of the first and still has that Dean Cundey cinematography. Carpenter also returns to do the music which is a bit more gothic and bombastic but still great. There's certainly worse ways to spend 90 minutes.

Short answer: yeah, he's supernatural.

Long answer (because I love talking about Halloween): This is full on spoiler territory for the first one if you haven't seen it and wish to, but it's revealed over the course of the runtime that Myers is a bit supernatural. He spends the majority of the movie stalking Laurie (and her friends) while they are mostly oblivious. Laurie notices him early on during the daytime and becomes a bit paranoid while her friends shrug it off as some boys from their school fooling around. Later that night Laurie babysits Tommy who's become a bit paranoid himself since some bullies tell him that the Boogeyman is going to come and get him. When he tells Laurie this she says that the Boogeyman isn't real and those kids were playing tricks on him.

Tommy notices Myers twice while looking out the window, once when Myers was just standing around being the scariest motherfucker ever and another when he was carrying the body of Laurie's friend that he just murdered. Tommy freaks the fuck out and starts screaming that "the Boogeyman is outside!" but Laurie doesn't see anything and basically tells him to chill out.

Meanwhile, Myers's doctor Loomis has teamed up with the town sheriff to track him down. Loomis basically warns everybody throughout the film that Myers is more than he seems. He even goes as far to describe him as walking evil and not a man. Of course nobody takes Loomis seriously which is what led Myers to escaping in the first place. Even the sheriff is sceptical even though he still helps Loomis with the hunt.

Myers finally attacks towards the end of the movie. Laurie manages to thwart Myers several times, but despite being seemingly put down he keeps getting back up. Finally it looks like he's got her when Loomis shows up and shoots Michael six times who falls off a balcony to the ground below. When Loomis checks on Laurie she looks at him and says "it was the Boogeyman" which Loomis replies "as a matter of fact, it was." Loomis then looks over the balcony to see that Myers has disappeared again. Loomis, however, is not surprised at this and even looks as if he suspected it. Then the camera cuts to places Myers had been or maybe is at now while we hear his breathing as the credits start rolling.

The only characters that had a clue what was going on the entire movie were the ones that nobody took seriously. Even while watching it, the audience isn't quite sure if Myers is just some crazy guy with a knife or something more. Finally by the end, it's confirmed to us that he is the Boogeyman.
Didn't Carpenter's original reason for Michael becoming an emotionless killer because, during the time of Halloween (as according to some Samhain beliefs), the spirits of the dead would come back into the living world to visit their families, and the Michael was extra-sensitive to their presence, to the point that hearing the voices of the dead non-stop resulted in him mentally breaking and becoming the soulless killer we all know.

That's what I heard, though. Seemingly there was going to be references to that in the first movie, but Carpenter cut it.

strafer

Please be a true sequel to Halloween 4, put Jamie Lloyd behind the mask.

jaimie.gif

Only if they get Danielle Harris to reprise the role.

-shadow-

Only if they get Danielle Harris to reprise the role.

If I'm not mistaken, she's stated to have been open for that role ever since she filmed that ending. As a kid she was actually really disappointed that she wasn't the killer in part 5. Which, I must add, was the worst retcon ever.

If I'm not mistaken, she's stated to have been open for that role ever since she filmed that ending. As a kid she was actually really disappointed that she wasn't the killer in part 5. Which, I must add, was the worst retcon ever.

Well she would have been still too small anyways to be in the follow up as the next killer proper. And I mean, in 5 she still had attacked her mom, they just made it that she didn't actually kill her.

But that ending to 4 was pretty amazing back then.

Didn't Carpenter's original reason for Michael becoming an emotionless killer because, during the time of Halloween (as according to some Samhain beliefs), the spirits of the dead would come back into the living world to visit their families, and the Michael was extra-sensitive to their presence, to the point that hearing the voices of the dead non-stop resulted in him mentally breaking and becoming the soulless killer we all know.

That's what I heard, though. Seemingly there was going to be references to that in the first movie, but Carpenter cut it.

I don't know to be sure, I've never heard that and couldn't find it in any interview. As far as I know Carpenter didn't decide to explore the samhain side of things until Halloween 2. However, that sounds pretty close to some of the cult stuff from Halloween 6.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I can enjoy all of the Halloween films (including 3 which I like quite a bit) but I've always really considered it a trilogy of Halloween 1, 2 and H20 with that final headchop being very satisfying. Used to have a fanedit of 1 and 2 put together which was fun but that disappeared ages ago.

I'm wondering what persuaded JLC to come back though, I absolutely love her so I'm delighted by this but I thought she made her appearance in Resurrection simply due to being sick of this shit and wanting out.

Vazduh

I'm wondering what persuaded JLC to come back though, I absolutely love her so I'm delighted by this but I thought she made her appearance in Resurrection simply due to being sick of this shit and wanting out.

If I had to guess, it was because of John Carpenter's involvement for the first time in ages.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Nothing can top the terrifying reveal that Michael drove to town in Halloween. Because that is the moment he officially becomes the GOAT horror character imo.

If I had to guess, it was because of John Carpenter's involvement for the first time in ages.

I also get the impression that movie stars become more embracing of their iconic roles as they grow into old age, whereas earlier in their career they may have gotten annoyed with everyone's obsession over said roles at the expense of the rest of their output. See: Harrison Ford.

Cranster

Banned
I'm wondering if anything this is going to be a direct sequel to the original Halloween and it retcons the veents of the sequel. John Carpenter repeatedly puts down the brother/sister reveal as a consequence of drinking a 6 pack of budweiser as he couldn't think of another reason for Michael to be stalking Laurie. Blank character and absence of motivation would make Michael more scary as that makes him a representation of evil!

Basically, after Loomis shoots Michael 6 times off the Doyle house balcony the Shape simply vanishes in the night and isn't heard from for 40 years.

Cheerilee

I'm wondering if anything this is going to be a direct sequel to the original Halloween and it retcons the veents of the sequel. John Carpenter repeatedly puts down the brother/sister reveal as a consequence of drinking a 6 pack of budweiser as he couldn't think of another reason for Michael to be stalking Laurie. Blank character and absence of motivation would make Michael more scary as that makes him a representation of evil!

Basically, after Loomis shoots Michael 6 times off the Doyle house balcony the Shape simply vanishes in the night and isn't heard from for 40 years.

I think it's not the lack of motivation, but it's more that his triggers are so small that it makes them scary, as seemingly everyday occurrences could set him off.

For his first kill, his sister was fucking around (literally) when she was supposed to be taking care of him. That set him off and apparently turned him into the monster. His parents stopped him from leaving the crime scene and he got apprehended, and he had no reaction to that, because getting caught is not a trigger, so it doesn't matter to him.

Then after being imprisoned for more than a decade, he randomly decided that it was Halloween (the anniversary of his first kill) so he wanted to "go home" (which includes stuff like visiting and then stealing his sister's tombstone), so he broke out of a mental ward like it was nothing. He killed a guy for his clothes, and killed/ate a dog. That was presumably not personal, but maybe the guy cut him off in traffic.

Then Laurie's infraction was that she stepped onto the porch of Michael's home, when the neighborhood kids were afraid to set one foot on his property. It probably also helped that Laurie slightly resembled his sister. So Michael starts stalking her, studying his prey.

During the stalking, Laurie meets up with two more girls, and one of them yells at Michael. Michael slams on the brakes of the car and I'm pretty sure we're meant to believe that Michael was moments away from road-raging and flipping out, running out of the car to get all stabby on the three of them in broad daylight, but he managed to calm himself down, added murdering the two new girls to his mental to-do list, and resumed his stalking pattern.

Michael's "reason" for stalking Laurie in Halloween 2 should be as simple as "she's not dead yet". He tried to kill her but she's still there. He's patient and methodical and determined, and if Laurie got away from him it would seem likely that nothing else in the world would matter to him (beyond being an obstacle), he would still be after her, unless something else created a temporary distraction by triggering him.

MC Safety

I've only seen the original first two.. are the rest worth watching?

Three was pretty weird and unrelated to the first two. It's not terrible, if I recall, and something you might consider watching when they put it on cable.

I was also intrigued by the one where Michael Meyers gets captured and then someone breaks him out of prison. That may have been Halloween 5, and I'm not sure if they ever mentioned who rescued him.

Three was pretty weird and unrelated to the first two. It's not terrible, if I recall, and something you might consider watching when they put it on cable.

I was also intrigued by the one where Michael Meyers gets captured and then someone breaks him out of prison. That may have been Halloween 5, and I'm not sure if they ever mentioned who rescued him.

That was part 5 actually and it's revealed who it was in the next one. I wouldn't recommend seeking it out though, it's one of the worst installments and in a series like Halloween that's saying something.

Spoilers if you're curious though.
It's revealed that the Man in Black is Dr. Wynn. He's a Smith's Grove official and head of a cult dedicated to helping Michael kill his family for some reason. It's also revealed that he played this role while Myers was incarcerated in his youth and if I remember correctly Dr. Wynn may have been the character Loomis talked to after Michael escaped in the first Halloween.

I almost forgot just how fucking dumb all of that really was until I typed it out. But yeah, did you ever think that the one ingredient missing from Halloween was a cult? Well, somebody else sure did.

At least the guy who handled the screenwriting duties for that one eventually gave us the incredible Never Sleep Again and Crystal Lake Memories documentaries.

I've only seen the original first two.. are the rest worth watching?

Three is worth a watch as long as you don't go in expecting a Halloween movie. It was supposed to be the start of turning Halloween into an anthology series and in a better/alternate universe that actually happened. Instead the audiences wanted more Myers and the next installment gave them what they wanted. Carpenter was still involved in the third installment as a writer and producer. He also contributed, along with Alan Howarth, a pretty awesome score.

Four was basically an attempt at recapturing what made the original work. It has its moments and I'd say it's okayish if you're a fan of the originals. Five was heavily rushed to cash in on the success of Four and it shows. It's definitely the worst of the series at that point. That is, until the rest of the series happened with H20 being the exception which is worth watching for Jamie Lee Curtis.

Top Bottom