• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 and the end of the world

So, I've been playing a lot of FFXIV over the past months and loving it a lot! So naturally I got curious about 1.x and how it played, but most importantly, how it came to an end. To my surprise, seeing as I wasn't following the game at all before it got rebooted, there was a whole event around the servers ending that tied to the story. But it wasn't just any event, it was the literal end of that world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEg8kXmifo

This videos give me all sorts of chills. The mood, the same sky and ominous music being present everywhere you go, even inside cities. FFXIV 1.x may have done a lot of wrong, but it reached it's peak at the very end of it's life. People got invited to join the server as it was closing down, but virtually nobody knew what was going to happen. Would the moon fall? Would we be able to stop it? Would the Empire be defeated?

Now, a lot of people know that "End of an Era" video, but I was surprised to find out that it actually played in-game to everyone logged in. I'm not sure how I would even react to that if I was a player at that time. The whole video is basically a perfect way to end it. There's a part on the video where the main character, who is supposed to represent the players, makes an expression that's just hard to put into words:

62c2d3b7b9.jpg

It's like, utter hopelessness, which translates a lot to the people who were actually playing the game. Their game was ending to make a path for something else, something they knew nothing about. There's only one instance in the whole video where there's a light glimmer of hope, just so it can be shattered away.

All of this just so players could see their game go out. They literally experienced the end of the world in a video game. Not a story about the end of the world (which a lot of games have), but the actual thing itself. And that's something truly amazing, something that I feel that will be forever unique to video games as a medium. I know that Eorzea wasn't truly destroyed in the end, but there was a huge gap of almost a year where nobody knew what was going to happen.

Were there ever other games that did something like this? I'd love to have other examples of this! And I'd love to read from actual 1.x players too, if they feel like what I wrote is relatable to how they felt when it all happened.

Truly the most epic moment in gaming history one way or the other.
This has been posted before, and I get chills every time. And I've never even played the game once.

Edit:"something like this?"

Hhmmm, maybe the final day I spent on PS3 Home (LOL)
Sacrificing your party member in one of the fire emblem games and turning him into a sword -lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Truly the most epic moment in gaming history one way or the other.

Yep. The End of an Era CG and the ending to 1.x is a masterpiece that gets me every time.
"End of an Era" also serves as the opening to A Realm Reborn and it's one of the best FF openings of all time, in my opinion.

Arkeband

Banned
It's a pretty great and powerful cinematic. It's unfortunate that the "break it and rebuild it" design philosophy never extended past ARR, but hopefully 4.0 takes some much needed risk to reinvigorate the game.

wmlk

Does anybody have a link to the thread when this happened? I feel like during the time this was more underwhelming, but we retroactively look at as something greater since ARR was a success.

I was thinking of making this exact thread but you beat me to it. Surprising like, it was actually that cinematic that got me to sign up with Final Fantasy 14 in the first place. It was absolutely beautiful and to this day I still can't watch it without getting goosebumps. Square Enix is the master of CG

Garlador

This is the one thing I regret missing out on. I jumped in later and wish I could've experienced this live.

... Especially because for those loyal fans, A Realm Reborn redeemed the game SO hard.

N.A

Banned
My experience was repeatedly getting disconnected for the final few hours. The last few months of 1.0 were great though and the CG was amazing.

SOLDIER

It's still mindblowing how they took the incompetent development of 1.0 and spun it into a meta narrative for 2.0 and onward.

There was even a point where you actually met

the development team, who in the game world are essentially Gods.

They actually admit how their arrogance almost brought the world to ruin, and that it was the will of its people (the fanbase) that spurred them to rebuild it anew

That never stops being insane no matter how many times I think about it.

This hands down is one of the best ways to destroy how a previous game was like and rebuild it into something much better and keep it within canon.

This always interested me, and made me wast to get into FFXIV after 2.0 came out. However, I just do not have the time or money to play it. I know this may come off as a tired complaint, but I really wish they would make a single player portion or standalone game set in Eorzea. I would love to see a classic Final Fantasy set in the world since I want to check it out, but don't want to have to dedicate a large chunk of my time and money.

I hardly have enough time to play any games as it is. The only times I am completely free are just a couple of weeks about once every three months, so an MMO, especially a subscription based one, can't really work for me. Which is a shame, because this video and a couple of other things about the game made me really want to try it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's still mindblowing how they took the incompetent development of 1.0 and spun it into a meta narrative for 2.0 and onward.

They actually admit how their arrogance almost brought the world to ruin, and that it was the will of its people (the fanbase) that spurred them to rebuild it anew

Have you done the development room event from one of the anniversary quests? I was in tears because of this.

wait what!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this is to much for me!
your not trolling right?

kiaaa

It's a pretty great and powerful cinematic. It's unfortunate that the "break it and rebuild it" design philosophy never extended past ARR, but hopefully 4.0 takes some much needed risk to reinvigorate the game.

I haven't played since the patch right before Heavensward (Ixali Beast Tribe quests was one of the last things I did before I quit), but I heard really great things about everything afterwards.

ViciousDS

Banned
Susan Calloway gives me fucking chills with that song and how amazing that intro.ending was. 1.0 CGI ending is still the greatest piece of art I have ever witnessed.

Zhao_Yun

The End of an Era Trailer CG never fails to impress. Answers is just such a good song and made T13 an even more epic fight than it already was.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
The greatest cutscene of all-time. Absolutely incredible.

SOLDIER

Have you done the development room event from one of the anniversary quests? I was in tears because of this.

That's precisely what I'm referring to.

No it's true. Yoshi-P has a character that's basically his likeness in the game.

He's been around since 1.0, in an equally hilarious meta narrative:

he gets jailed for proclaiming that the meteor touching down would be a good thing for the world, as it would lead to a "new beginning"

ViciousDS

Banned
ahh 1.18 - 1.21, when I actually enjoyed this game. too bad about arr

if we would have just had the leveling system and standard outlying of ARR with the combat system of 1.0 I would have been happy.

I absolutely loved the fact that the original game had a combat system similar to XI......not so fast pace and fuckball crazy at times.

AkumaNiko

My wife and i were 1.0 alpha/beta testers. She was a paid user during the end of 1.0, was not. We both still play to this day.

OP, Have you beaten binding coil turn 12 yet? It ties together that story pretty well. then turn 13 is a pretty epic battle that each phase is set to the music of answers. freaking awesome

HowZatOZ

Banned
I remember this, was a good way of putting the old game to the pasture but reinvigorating your player base to want more from a revamp that was risky in nature.

desu

Yep. The End of an Era CG and the ending to 1.x is a masterpiece that gets me every time.
"End of an Era" also serves as the opening to A Realm Reborn and it's one of the best FF openings of all time, in my opinion.

This so much, it is one of my most favourite moments in my gaming life ever.

In our last ever possible attempt we beat the White Raven (the more or less hardest boss fight in 1.0) after playing straight for like 30 hours.

Just minutes after that we got to see the end it really took some time to process everything that had happened.

Arkeband

Banned
wait what!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this is to much for me!
your not trolling right?

It's more like the secret developer room at the end of Pokemon Red/Blue than how people are describing it, but there is an avatar that "represents" Yoshi-P who has predictably fourth wall breaky dialogue.

ferr

Yeah, maybe they made a nice cutscene, but they charged me twice for FF14.

Iscariot

This always interested me, and made me wast to get into FFXIV after 2.0 came out. However, I just do not have the time or money to play it. I know this may come off as a tired complaint, but I really wish they would make a single player portion or standalone game set in Eorzea. I would love to see a classic Final Fantasy set in the world since I want to check it out, but don't want to have to dedicate a large chunk of my time and money.

I hardly have enough time to play any games as it is. The only times I am completely free are just a couple of weeks about once every three months, so an MMO, especially a subscription based one, can't really work for me. Which is a shame, because this video and a couple of other things about the game made me really want to try it.

I played through a big portion of the ARR content and also would love this. After the first month I just didn't have the time for the MMO grind.

I didn't feel anything from this, but I don't play this game so I'll stay out of the conversation before saying something offensive

Robin64

One of the best FMVs in all of Final Fantasy. Maybe not technically, though it's impressive, but it gives me feels every time. It's heartbreaking when you see the big spell meant to reimprison Bahamut just fail like that. Everyone's giving it their all, he's being sealed, then.. boom. Sorry guys, you lose.

SOLDIER

I also really like how FFXIV handles references from past FF games.

They basically use one out of three lore-based ideas for their crossovers:

1. The actual character appears in the game via a wormhole or some other magical BS (Lightning, Shantotto)

2. The characters and events are remembered as "historical legends" (FFIII's dungeon, FFVI's Mog)

3. The character is retconned into FFXIV's world, but contains enough of their traits and background that it still feels like a loving reference:

Matoya

I wonder which they'll go for once Cloud finally shows up.

I'm still surprised they haven't had their big FFVII event. But it will come.

_woLf

XIV's development story is completely unprecedented.

Square-Enix deserves a TON of respect for having the guts to do what they did with the game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I also really like how FFXIV handles references from past FF games.

They basically use one out of three lore-based ideas for their crossovers:

1. The actual character appears in the game via a wormhole or some other magical BS (Lightning, Shantotto)

2. The characters and events are remembered as "historical legends" (FFIII's dungeon, FFVI's Mog)

3. The character is retconned into FFXIV's world, but contains enough of their traits and background that it still feels like a loving reference:

Matoya

I wonder which they'll go for once Cloud finally shows up.

I'm still surprised they haven't had their big FFVII event. But it will come.

Technically there's already some VII references. Meteor, the lifestream, etc.

~Cross~

FFXIV 1.0 was a dumpster fire that needed to be violently exploded for something good to be created in its place but how they dealt with things leading up to it was fantastic. Dalamud slowly getting bigger over the months until its right fucking there in the skybox, the music in the entire overworld changing, the voidsent spawning everywhere. There are a lot of good memories, but none of them are about the initial games atrocious combat, needlessly tedious crafting, weird movement and stale animations, etc.

Robin64

Costa Del Sol, Limit Breaks, Knights of the Round (complete with shatter effect), The Tiny Bronco, Mount Corel, Seventh Heaven.. Yeah, XIV has a lot of VII stuff when you think about it.

(But I'd love to see an actual VII event nonetheless!)

I honestly think that it is the greatest piece of cinematography that Square Enix has ever created. I still watch it every once in a while and the music is so damn good. I got goosebumps when it first played.

SOLDIER

Technically there's already some VII references. Meteor, the lifestream, etc.

Yes, but an actual appearance by Cloud is absolutely something they will get around to eventually.

I just want my FFXIV Sephiroth boss fight and Red XIII mount.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Too bad XIV plays so slow. I tried 3 times to get into but, boring races and 3sec GCD just makes this an unplayable MMO for me. I do like that you can level every class with one character though.

Lunafreya

I love XIV easily one of the best MMO experiences I've ever had, and possibly my favorite online game ever.

I clocked at least 4000+ hrs into ARR alone and finished all the Coil turns (which relates to 1.0 and that opening cutscene heavily.), my playtime kind of died down when I reached the end-game of Heavensward. (3.0 - 3.1 patch end-game weren't very good. imo.)

Now I'm clocking 8000+ hours and I'm just waiting on 3.5 and Stormblood though all my focus is now on XV and other titles.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I love XIV easily one of the best MMO experiences I've ever had, and possibly my favorite online game ever.

I clocked at least 4000+ hrs into ARR alone and finished all the Coil turns (which relates to 1.0 and that opening cutscene heavily.), my playtime kind of died down when I reached the end-game of Heavensward. (3.0 - 3.1 patch end-game weren't very good. imo.)

Now I'm clocking 8000+ hours and I'm just waiting on 3.5 and Stormblood though all my focus is now on XV and other titles.

Total Play Time: 399 days, 14 hours, 54 minutes

Lunafreya

Total Play Time: 399 days, 14 hours, 54 minutes

Oh wow, way above me!

My main:[8:26 p.m.]Total Play Time: 336 days, 7 hours, 9 minutes
My alt: [8:22 p.m.]Total Play Time: 28 days, 2 hours, 8 minutes

Looking forward to Stormblood next month is more info hype!

Top Bottom