• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 and the end of the world

J-Skee

So the game cut that cutscene in the final minutes of the game? That's pretty incredible. It's amazing to me how they righted their wrong with A Realm Reborn. Makes me really want to play the game.

Surprisingly, this sentiment isn't unusual with old legacy players, many of who are critical of YoshiP because he won't take risks and sticks to the same patch formula.
me and an IRL buddy were sitting on mic the one night after our second clear of twintania and our conversation was basically

"yo Fin..."
"what"
"Fuck this game"
"yea..."
"I want 1.21 back"
"me too man"

he quick that day. I quit a few weeks later

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Surprisingly, this sentiment isn't unusual with old legacy players, many of who are critical of YoshiP because he won't take risks and sticks to the same patch formula.

Funny you say that because 1.x took barely any risks except being stuck in the old ways of FFXI and not adapting to modern game and MMO trends.

That's precisely what I'm referring to.

He's been around since 1.0, in an equally hilarious meta narrative:

he gets jailed for proclaiming that the meteor touching down would be a good thing for the world, as it would lead to a "new beginning"

Oh my god thars absolutely great

My wife and i were 1.0 alpha/beta testers. She was a paid user during the end of 1.0, was not. We both still play to this day.

OP, Have you beaten binding coil turn 12 yet? It ties together that story pretty well. then turn 13 is a pretty epic battle that each phase is set to the music of answers. freaking awesome

I'm at T10 right now! I plan on finishing Binding Coil pretty soon though :)

Yep those CG videos are some of the best ever.

Even hearing bits of "Answers" playing off in the distance while you could see Meteor in the sky during the end days of 1.0 was chilling.

Kent

Total Play Time: 399 days, 14 hours, 54 minutes

I quit playing FFXI when I discovered that /playtime actually enumerates years. I miss BLU.

61 days for FFXIV. I wasn't around for most of ARR (due to unrelated circumstances), but I'm really hoping that Stormblood changes up the endgame recipe and adds in more party-based matchmade content other than simply grinding out the same two dungeons until the next ones get released. It gets tiresome, despite how much I enjoy combat as a party in the game. Palace of the Dead feels like a step in the right direction, though I haven't gotten much into it yet.

Wagram

me and an IRL buddy were sitting on mic the one night after our second clear of twintania and our conversation was basically

"yo Fin..."
"what"
"Fuck this game"
"yea..."
"I want 1.21 back"
"me too man"

That happened with most of the people I played with in 1.0. I held on until the Heavensward launch, but I couldn't take the gameplay anymore. The story is very well done (post lvl 43 in 2.0), but the content cycle, core gameplay, and focus on destroying all old content with each patch sucks. One of these days I should log in and donate 350m to any of my remaining friends that still play. Never going to use it anyways.

XIV had tons of issues, but I seen a future in the rubble that was 1.23b. Shame how it turned out from my perspective. However, there are people that like what it is now. Just hoping Yoshida isn't in charge of the next MMO. God that would kill me inside.

SOLDIER

Sure wish I could find a significant other to play the game with.

Don't suppose they have the dating equivalent of a FFXIV group page? It sounds silly, but it would also be a good conversation starter.

Were there ever other games that did something like this? I'd love to have other examples of this! And I'd love to read from actual 1.x players too, if they feel like what I wrote is relatable to how they felt when it all happened.

FFVI does this halfway through.

TissueBox

The whole apocalypse event, build-up, and culmination into that final CG was searingly compelling. I don't cry like I take dumps but 'End of an Era', gotdamn it, was the FF cinematic in fine form. Epic, fraught, tragic, and then hopeful.

And now I have yet to actually play A Realm Reborn, lol, but it's been on my map. Ah this ever-lengthening map of RPGS to play. Ahh ahhh.

IvorB

Yeah it was crazy cool how they did that but you have to wonder why they can't do something like that again which affects all the play areas. Not the end of the world of course but just something happening that doesn't happen in an instance.

Corsick

So how easy is it to get into this game as a new player? I've only played WoW and have a preference for tank or melee DPS classes.

Kyari

Does anybody have a link to the thread when this happened? I feel like during the time this was more underwhelming, but we retroactively look at as something greater since ARR was a success.

This is exactly the case. As someone that played XIV 1.0 at launch I gave up on that game real quick and nothing about the kill it and start over plan filled me with any kind of hope. Now I play it constantly.

FC Bayern

Too bad XIV plays so slow. I tried 3 times to get into but, boring races and 3sec GCD just makes this an unplayable MMO for me. I do like that you can level every class with one character though.

The GCD was also my problem.

Loved everything else about the game, but the GCD was such a big hurdle to get over,

~Cross~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jQ9jFeW69Y

This was FFXIV 1.xs combat. Its even slower than 2.xs specially when you run out of energy which is always, mobs would constantly evade and you would constantly miss attacks. Its was even worse for casters, since they had like a single magic ready animation which sucked donkey balls.

Its even worse when you remember that you had to raise weaponskill in the dumbest way.

FFXIV 1.0 was horrible, dont let anyone try to nostalgia trip you into thinking it was good. It was unique in how horrible it was. I

"Answers" is up there with the best of Final Fantasy songs.
If there's a game I regret not playing it's FF XIV ARR, but unfortunately I don't have the time to invest in an MMO.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Oh how I miss 1.2x :/..but yes it was a pretty awesome event :) I still remember the 1.0 beta.
2.0 was great~
Then came 3.0 which was nice but with 3.2 everything went down the drain (for me).

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I thought everyone hated pre-ARR, thus the unpopularity and change? Surprised many are nostalgic for it, but I guess that feeling is inevitable with playing something you can no longer play.

wamberz1

I was just watching Mr. Happy's breakdown of the event yesterday. I love it when devs say "Fuck it, were gonna nuke it anyways."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6G7LyLv1cg&list=PLNONxPk8TDQqHmKBhn-YpBQWgiNbkTIs8&index=2
He starts talking about it more in the second half of the video.
Answers is the best song.

tumblr_noy5v5Vk2R1slj24go1_500.gif

Taruranto

"yo Fin..."
"what"
"Fuck this game"
"yea..."
"I want 1.21 back"
"me too man"

Eh, I saw this happen many times. Most of my friends from XI who I saw again in XIV simply started to drop one after another. It was quite sad.

Some of them actually went back to XI after years lol.

Funny you say that because 1.x took barely any risks except being stuck in the old ways of FFXI and not adapting to modern game and MMO trends.

1.0. failed because it was an incomplete, barely functional rushed game because Wada wanted to release it before WoW expansion.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I thought everyone hated pre-ARR, thus the unpopularity and change? Surprised many are nostalgic for it, but I guess that feeling is inevitable with playing something you can no longer play.

Let's be honest: 1.x was awful. Yes Yoshida fixed a lot of Tanaka's mess but at the end of the day there was no way that game was going to appeal to a larger audience with it's copypasta maps and slow systems.

Wagram

Don't get the wrong impression. 1.0 was bad, reallly bad at times. The server lag, copy pasted areas, and shit main story were huge problems. The people that stuck around seen a future for the title and it was marginally getting better with the updates. Hell, I still believe Nael Deus Darnus (Hard) is the best fight they've ever created. However, the direction they went with in the end wasn't what many of us wanted. Regardless of that fact, ARR is successful now, but it is so at the expense of some who paid financially to support a future that they didn't want.

Yoshida was very unclear about ARR until around the Alpha. Which is when many (including myself) started losing our shit over the WoW direction.

Squishy3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jQ9jFeW69Y

This was FFXIV 1.xs combat. Its even slower than 2.xs specially when you run out of energy which is always, mobs would constantly evade and you would constantly miss attacks. Its was even worse for casters, since they had like a single magic ready animation which sucked donkey balls.

Its even worse when you remember that you had to raise weaponskill in the dumbest way.

FFXIV 1.0 was horrible, dont let anyone try to nostalgia trip you into thinking it was good. It was unique in how horrible it was. I
A refined version of it could've possibly been good, but that would've taken even more development time when Square's primary interest was getting ARR out to recoup costs from the 5 year development failure that was 1.0.

If anyone wants it, here's a list of how things were in 1.0, with the fixed denotion meaning that it was remedied in ARR.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1n7dfv/then_now_analysis_of_the_most_upvoted_complaint/

Don't get the wrong impression. 1.0 was bad, reallly bad at times. The server lag, copy pasted areas, and shit main story were huge problems. The people that stuck around seen a future for the title and it was marginally getting better with the updates. Hell, I still believe Nael Deus Darnus (Hard) is the best fight they've ever created. However, the direction they went with in the end wasn't what many of us wanted. Regardless of that fact, ARR is successful now, but it is so at the expense of some who paid financially to support a future that they didn't want.

Yoshida was very unclear about ARR until around the Alpha. Which is when many (including myself) started losing our shit over the WoW direction.
You have to remember XIV was designed by the team that thought the initial incarnation of Pandemonium Warden was a good idea.

(36 players fought it for 18 hours straight and couldn't beat it.) Nael Deus Darnus in 1.0 was a cool fight in theory but at the same time there isn't really anything happening in it.

Fight in question for those who'd like to see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI8oib1o2_4&ab_channel=RydiaMist

Samaritan

What other company in the world can you imagine dedicating the kind of resources such as producing a professional-level CG cinematic to cap off the end of a failed game? Such an awesome, and unlikely to ever happen again, gesture by Squenix.

It was definitely a better, playable game prior to the relaunch while they were already on their way to making those sweeping changes. Those of us who played 1.0 and stuck with it to the end were admittedly a little crazy, but a lot of us loved how it turned out and appreciated how much effort went into the lead up to 2.0.

And then you get to the last turns of the Coil of Bahamut storyline and get another awesome CG with the other important thing that happened during that cutscene.

So how easy is it to get into this game as a new player? I've only played WoW and have a preference for tank or melee DPS classes.

It's very easy to get into if you've played any other modern MMO, and if you play as a tank you shouldn't have problems finding groups for dungeons (outside of dungeons and raids the game is for the most part single player). FFXIV is basically built from the bits of the best WoW clones, but with Final Fantasyesque storylines and cutscenes added.

J-Skee

A little off topic, but is there video of the Stormblood event? I never saw the reactions to PS3 support ending.

Even the 1.18 on versions were inherently broken. The client server structure was godawful and the performance was a nightmare for most players. The UI was unwieldy and slow. But the base combat systems were incredibly enjoyable, gear was diverse in its stats and took creativity to build the best sets, the overworld despite some poor map design actually meant something. The cutscenes animated extremely well. There was diverse content that went into gear collection for optimal sets, instead of just funneling into a single raid.

I should've seen the downfall whenever the primals came out though and used the same paint by numbers bullshit boss design that's absurdly prevalent in mmos

~Cross~

ARR was free to those who previously purchased 1.x.

Not only was it free, but those that subbed for 3 or more months to the original incarnation got discounted sub fees for the rest of their stay in the revamped version. I pay like 9 bucks a month for a full account. Thats 6 bucks less than a person paying monthly full rate and still like 4 bucks less than someone paying for the limited account.

Well, for what it's worth, I picked up the game and its expansion for $30 during a sale on Steam in January, despite having never touched an MMO in my life, and sort of wondering if I was in over my head.

It quickly became one of my most-played games of the entire year; Steam's showing me as having played it for over 300 hours.

It's definitely overwhelming at first (this game has a lot of different gameplay facets working at once), but they do a surprisingly good job of easing you in. (Besides which, I expect some of the overwhelming bit just stems from me interacting with other people, something I always get nervous about...)

It's very easy. The game is very good at guiding you through it. Why not try the trial?
To add to this: don't get discouraged if you hit the trial's L20 limit, as you can always do what I did and start another class in the meantime. I hit L20 Archer really quickly, but started up Lancer and Pugilist at a friend's suggestion (which was a good idea, considering I needed PGL at L15 to become Bard when ARC hit L30, while LNC has some very useful cross-class skills - BRDing without Blood for Blood and Invigorate would be much more annoying!).

I mean is there a better Video game CG than End of an Era?. I like the extended Flames of truth as well.

Thy Life is a riddle, to bear rapture and sorrow
To listen, to suffer, to entrust unto tomorrow
In one fleeting moment, from the Land doth life flow
Yet in one fleeting moment, for anew it doth grow
In the same fleeting moment
Thou must live
Die
And know

Answers has got to be the GOAT ff track

Neiteio

It's still mindblowing how they took the incompetent development of 1.0 and spun it into a meta narrative for 2.0 and onward.

There was even a point where you actually met

the development team, who in the game world are essentially Gods.

They actually admit how their arrogance almost brought the world to ruin, and that it was the will of its people (the fanbase) that spurred them to rebuild it anew

That never stops being insane no matter how many times I think about it.
This is so cool. The more I learn about XIV, the more impressed I am with its ideas.

~Cross~

Never played 1.0 but honestly I thought it looked much better than what we have now.

The lightning was undeniably worse but the models had a tiny bit more polygons in them (around the butt). The entire thing ran like shit though. It would put any computer through the ringer. The entire client was untrusted and every action required approval from the server, which was horribly laggy.

The engine couldn't deal with more than 8 people on screen. Not only would it drag your PC to the single digits, but most players will just stop showing up on your screen.

Garlador

Never played 1.0 but honestly I thought it looked much better than what we have now.

laughing-hyur.gif

I'm very, very excited for the next expansion. Heavensward has some issues for sure, but its narrative was one of the most satisfying I've experienced in a Final Fantasy game since IX.

Squishy3

The lightning was undeniably worse but the models had a tiny bit more polygons in them (around the butt). The entire thing ran like shit though. It would put any computer through the ringer. The entire client was untrusted and every action required approval from the server, which was horribly laggy.

The engine couldn't deal with more than 8 people on screen. Not only would it drag your PC to the single digits, but most players will just stop showing up on your screen.
YoshiP talks about this in one of his talks during the transition from 1.0 to 2.0.

This is the picture from the slides he used for his talk:

muvsmhwybt0ohqmek5r3.jpg

So the reason why it chugged all the time was because you effectively had a bunch of models lying around that had as many polygons as player characters. They may not have all been flowerpots.

So anyone who's currently familiar with ARR/HW, playing 1.0 was like being in Idyllshire or showing up to a S rank hunt all the time.

Kent

Graphically-speaking, 1.0 was intended to be highly scalable to system specifications that weren't available in the market yet. I believe it was stated that a potted plant in 1.0 has about the same amount of texture data, shader code and polygons as a current player character does. The game also ran like hot trash on even decent systems of the day.

Gameplay-wise, it was simply a train wreck. Lots of interesting ideas, but the execution was so poor that it should be understood that the game failed as hard as it did for a very, very good reason.

Squishy3

Graphically-speaking, 1.0 was intended to be highly scalable to system specifications that weren't available in the market yet.
Don't forget that they were one day planning to release 1.0 on PS3.

Which has even been a hindrance for ARR and Heavensward development and is now being dropped completely for the next expansion.

ChrisD

Wow. I knew that they made the shutting down a big event, but never looked further into things. Thanks for sharing, OP.

Top Bottom