• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sucker Punch Scrapping Infamous 2's Cole MacGrath Model.

Thrakier

Rez said:
It's not that I hate the character, I just... barely remember him.

I don't know, I thought he had a very strong character. He was just a very introverted character, so he was more observing and always holding back a little. However what
happened with Trish
was a major blow of fate and it really should influence his character. Cole isn't meant to be happy, he is kinda tragic (like many other super heroes). Considering what he went through in the first game and the whole situation, it's just a joke to design him like an always happy extreme sports guy. That was one of the most stupid things I ever witnessed in the history of gaming. Really.

blaccat

Thrakier said:
I don't know, I thought he had a very strong character. He was just a very introverted character, so he was more observing and always holding back a little. However what
happened with Trish
was a major blow of fate and it really should influence his character. Cole isn't meant to be happy, he is kinda tragic (like many other super heroes). Considering what he went through in the first game and the whole situation, it's just a joke to design him like an always happy extreme sports guy. That was one of the most stupid things I ever witnessed in the history of gaming. Really.

It could have just been a publicity stunt, i dnt think they were that stupid to think everyone would just accept it.

As you said the look doesn't match the story

pathetic complaining on here...so much bitching over the new design --> they change it, and then even more bitching.... I think it is correct they changed it...there was absolutely no continuity with the previous design, and he looked pretty bland anyway...small loss....

Segata Sanshiro said:
Considering the generally asinine things you argue over, I don't think you should be calling anyone out, TToB.

Dian Wei is awesome, this mall kid is not. Never will be. Even if he cosplayed as Dian Wei during the game. :|

Redbeard said:
I was thinking that with InFamous 2, they were making strides at improving the characters. I was open minded to the idea of completely changing the design in favor of something more distinct and appealing.

How is Nathan Drake distinct and appealing? :lol

WTF how do we still have people here arguing "don't listen to fans boys and change things' when that's exactly how we ended up at new Cole. Just give it up and admit you just want what you want.

W1SSY

corrosivefrost said:
I was told old VA was not brought back because he was a confirmed child predator?

I thought it was said that he was in New York and that they needed someone close to be able to do the voice work? I could be completely wrong on that though.

Segata Sanshiro said:
New Cole only existed because they were trying to appease focus groups. Why do you guys keep pretending he was anything other than that?
Sucker Punch was even pretty open about this. They didn't pretend there was a new vision or story reason for the change, just that people didn't like the original Cole they designed, so they made a new one that people would like.

And yet people are pretending that going back to the original vision is compromising their vision because _________.

Loudninja

I am pretty sure the final result will be something we will all like.I do hope we can get pass this an discuss other things about the game which we have not done yet at all :/

wouwie

Thrakier said:
happened with Trish

Exactly how i felt about Cole in part 1. And somehow a big reason why i loved inFamous so much (that and the game being tons of fun to play ofcourse). Recasting him as a happy extreme sports guy felt, for me, as throwing away a big part of the soul that infamous had.

Thrakier

wouwie said:
Exactly how i felt about Cole in part 1. And somehow a big reason why i loved inFamous so much (that and the game being tons of fun to play ofcourse). Recasting him as a happy extreme sports guy felt, for me, as throwing away a big part of the soul that infamous had.

It's even more laughable if you think about that we already know
how future Cole will be and what he'll be doing and what he did to Trish and why
. How should that even work? The new model was just a bad joke and I'm quite happy that they noticed it before releasing the game...

I don't care about how generic Old Cole looked, I just want continuity between the games. New Cole was more eye-catching, but it was such a drastic change that didn't seem necessary at all.

Sucker Punch just needs to grow a pair and stick to their own vision.

rvy

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
I don't care about how generic Old Cole looked, I just want continuity between the games. New Cole was more eye-catching, but it was such a drastic change that didn't seem necessary at all.

Sucker Punch just needs to grow a pair and stick to their own vision.

G-Fex

His name is that of a motocross racer, so I thought he was appropriately dressed like one in the first game. :lol

JohngPR

I never had a problem with the new designs look, it was the fact that it was a totally different person, facial structure and all.

If they keep a similar look, but actually made him resemble Cole from the first game, I'd be happy with that compromise.

Irish

You know, you very rarely see Cole's face in-game in the original and when you see him in a non-comic cutscene, the camera is zoomed way out. In the comic cutscenes themselves, Cole looks different every other second.

Also, in regards to Kessler:

A ton of different factors can affect how a person's face looks as they grow older. Kessler isn't really the Cole we know. They're not guaranteed to look the same. In fact, they're more likely to look pretty different considering how their lives played out.

Irish

Well, from that point of view, New Cole has acted the same as Old Cole from what we've seen in the E3 trailer, the gameplay trailer, and the comic cutscene.

I just hope Cole actually changes his look this time around when we go the Hero route. Evil Cole was much different from Neutral Cole, but Hero Cole hardly changed at all. I kinda wish his jacket got as Yellow as it was in the Concept Art on the inFamous homepage.

I'd also like to see more Karma levels. Three for each side just seemed a little too limited. I also hope a full bar equaled its own level instead of allowing to use the relatively useless Karmic Overload.

I liked Cole and felt pretty sorry for the guy. Sure, looks wise he needs a shake up.

Zeke on the other hand was an annoying prick, and they need to sort his personality out. I think its pretty bad that one of my favourite games of this generation has one of the worst supporting characters in recent memory.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
FUCK YES.

That new kid looked like a douchebag.

Great move

JohngPR said:
I never had a problem with the new designs look, it was the fact that it was a totally different person, facial structure and all.

If they keep a similar look, but actually made him resemble Cole from the first game, I'd be happy with that compromise.

Also this

AAK

To all you guys hating on Sucker Punch for changing Cole from their original vision, where was your hate when Naughty Dog did the same thing for Elena in Uncharted?

characters_elena-fisher.png
11lltll.png

into

2cwkk94.png

unchartedchange.jpg

There was actually quite a bit of complaining when ND changed Elena's model. Even though all they did was make her look more like Emily Rose.

El-Suave

The only character from Infamous 1 I didn't like was Trish - for a charcater you were supposed to care about, she was quite annoying.

I wonder if they have recast Cole's voice in the dubbed version of Infamous 2 as well. If not, I almost wish I had played the first game in German for continuity's sake.

AndyD

aka andydumi
SolidSnakex said:
There was actually quite a bit of complaining when ND changed Elena's model. Even though all they did was make her look more like Emily Rose.

And her change was not as dramatic. And she is not the main character of either game. She is important but in the second in particular she plays a small part.

obonicus

ZephyrFate said:
Or he looked like a character actually worth playing. Old Cole is generic as white bread.

How is he generic? Or more specifically, how is he generic in ways that the new look isn't?

obonicus said:
How is he generic? Or more specifically, how is he generic in ways that the new look isn't?
He's a bald white dude and new dude was planned to be like... a redhead, at least, at first. I like that. Plus he fit the 'feel' of the game they were going for.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
JohngPR said:

This.

Or he looked like a character actually worth playing. Old Cole is generic as white bread.

Wat. Who else carries a messanger bag and wears a motorcycle jacket?

AAK said:
To all you guys hating on Sucker Punch for changing Cole from their original vision, where was your hate when Naughty Dog did the same thing for Elena in Uncharted?

I liked either one of them, but I wouldn't have liked it if she'd been changed between games.

ZephyrFate said:
Or he looked like an extra in a Vans commercial. Old Cole was worth playing, because we all played it.

spwolf

dunno why people say Cole was bland - i certainly remember him and I played demo only.

He also looked bad ass... new dude looked like he was getting his nails done.
He just didnt look dangerous enough, no street cred, more like some pretty boy from suburbia.

spwolf said:
dunno why people say Cole was bland - i certainly remember him and I played demo only.

QUOTE]

Old Cole looked cool to me, too. I liked his gaunt facial features. This "OMG BALD GENERIC" shit has gotten out of hand. Only problem I had with Cole was his voice... sounded like a grizzled soldier rather than a down-on-his-luck everyman.

Loudninja

spwolf said:

He just didnt look dangerous enough, no street cred, more like some pretty boy from suburbia.

Really? how are people seeing that in the new desgin? that makes no sense at all.

spwolf

on the other hand...

infamous_karma.jpg

You dont fuck with this Cole.

And this Cole you ask where did he do his eyebrows or got his pants:
gi-infamous2-cover.jpg

A lot of media thought Cole was very similar to Statham, and Jason looks like what bad ass should look like.

jason-statham-zohan.jpg

AAK said:
If Elena had looked like one of those in Uncharted 1 and then looked like another in Uncharted 2, I'd have found it equally annoying.

heringer

AAK said:
How is the situation even remotely similar? If Sucker Punch wanted to change Cole's look BEFORE the first game came out I don't think anyone would complain (because his original look is shitty anyway). The problem is continuity. If everybody already played with original Cole you can't just turn him into Justin Timberlake for the sake of it.

If they were to completely change Elena's model in Uncharted 2 there would be bitching. Believe me, people would bitch so much it's not even funny.

Top Bottom