• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sucker Punch Scrapping Infamous 2's Cole MacGrath Model.

G-Fex said:
I don't understand, am I the only one who sees it looking like some average guy?

I agree. Actually the new Cole design(s) looked like a focus group result, not the original one.

simpsons_poochie.jpg

Xater

SolidusDave said:
I agree. Actually the new Cole design(s) looked like a focus group result, not the original one.

simpsons_poochie.jpg

Yep. The new on looked focus grouped to make him as likeable and hip as possible. Fuck that, I want my grumpy, asshole Cole.

Goldrusher

The biggest problems:

- age, from ~35 to ~25, in a sequel...
- looks, from looking like a badass mofo to a sparkly eyed loverboy
- clothing, from a biker outfit to V-neck shirt and turtle shoes

They changed the protagonist so much, it almost didn't feel like inFamous 2, but something totally different they slapped the inFamous name on.

Big props for listening to the community. This was a case where it was vital to consider to the feedback.

It's not that original Cole was a great design, it's that they inexplicably tried to change the design. You don't just change the entire image of a character and maintain continuity without blinking an eye. This isn't Batman or Bond where it's necessary. I can understand the VA having to change, but if they didn't like Cole, they didn't have to use him. Don't try to substitute "Jeff" and start calling him Cole.

Loudninja

Why are people acting surprised? they already said the character was never final design even now. Also why are people complaining before seeing the latest design?

regarding the cutscene, voice-acting and dialogues feel like old Cole :)

but I'm not sure what to think of comic panel Cole. I couldn't really recognize him unlike Zeke
yxyKu.jpg

will wait for (final :p ) artwork and gameplay before I bitch again ^^

btw. the E3 trailer is now in line with the old Uncharted trailer (Elena was a brunette). :lol

Baki said:
This.

I only dislike the voice actor. Thats it. New Cole >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Generic Shitty Bald Space Marine.

He was BALD.... wtf. Anyone you've ever encountered in life who shaves their head is a bald space marine? Cole doesn't sport 5 tons of armor. Cole doesn't shoot laser guns. Hell, he doesn't even have a tough guy personality. Shut the fuck up, all of you, with your cliche complaining of Cole being a cliche character. The fact that you all hated it is proof that it wasn't generic.

He wasn't good looking, his job was ordinary and he didn't really suit the typical look for said job. Then he was blasted and gained super powers. All of you wanting and expecting a re-design because of his looks should slit your wrists. Everyone who prefers a douche-bag boy band reject makes me laugh.

I'd like to see your taste in men when it comes to leading roles in movies. Bet you all prefer the chick flicks with Zac Efron and such to anything with a remotely "normal" looking dude simply because that doesn't quite jive with what you're into.

I didn't think he was bad in the last game, so I don't know why they wanted to change him for the sequel. And now I don't know what the hells going on. Make up your mind, Sucker Punch.

Madman

I trust Sucker Punch will find a good compromise. The internet fanbase will complain pretty much no matter what, but that's just the way it is.

And he wasn't bald in the first game FFS. Ge had short hair that just looked flat from a distance.

acevans2

Let's hope Sucker Punch doesn't waste a lot of time and energy on this. The old Cole was unspectacular and I haven't seen anything about the new one that turned me off of it. I would've welcomed the change.

Whatever they do, I just hope they're confident in it. 'Fans' bitching 9 months before release are no reason to compromise their integrity.

while I loved infamous, I thought the main character was really annoying. didn't like his personality or his comically gravelly voice.

that said, I don't like the new cole either. I can't decide which is worse, so I actually don't care. I don't understand why video game heroes have to be so off-the-shelf every single time.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I don't hate new Cole , but his new Clothes/Costume were really bad he was like some dude from Mirror's Edge , they need to bring back the old colors dark and yellow and give him a new tracksuit again.

Madman said:
I trust Sucker Punch will find a good compromise. The internet fanbase will complain pretty much no matter what, but that's just the way it is.

And he wasn't bald in the first game FFS. Ge had short hair that just looked flat from a distance.
seriously, they are allowing the 'fanbase' to interfere with their design and direction decisions during game development?

how about they change the whole setting and put it in a middle eastern desert or something. :/

I really liked the original Cole, it suited the game really well. He seemed like someone who was just totally beaten flat by life, and you need that to sell the fact that he could go either way hero wise. The new design was a bit young and naive looking and based on the events of the first game Cole should be anything but.

As for the new voice clip it sounds like someone doing a bad Cole impression, so why they changed it at all mystifies me.

Loudninja

Captain_Spanky said:
I really liked the original Cole, it suited the game really well. He seemed like someone who was just totally beaten flat by life, and you need that to sell the fact that he could go either way hero wise. The new design was a bit young and naive looking and based on the events of the first game Cole should be anything but.

As for the new voice clip it sounds like someone doing a bad Cole impression, so why they changed it at all mystifies me.

Like the old desgion people didnt like the voice as well, it whatever they do people will complain.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
MoonsaultSlayer said:
He was BALD.... wtf. Anyone you've ever encountered in life who shaves their head is a bald space marine? Cole doesn't sport 5 tons of armor. Cole doesn't shoot laser guns. Hell, he doesn't even have a tough guy personality. Shut the fuck up, all of you, with your cliche complaining of Cole being a cliche character. The fact that you all hated it is proof that it wasn't generic.

He wasn't good looking, his job was ordinary and he didn't really suit the typical look for said job. Then he was blasted and gained super powers. All of you wanting and expecting a re-design because of his looks should slit your wrists. Everyone who prefers a douche-bag boy band reject makes me laugh.

I'd like to see your taste in men when it comes to leading roles in movies. Bet you all prefer the chick flicks with Zac Efron and such to anything with a remotely "normal" looking dude simply because that doesn't quite jive with what you're into.

A meltdown over Cole? GAF continues to surprise.

If they really want to please everyone, they should just make Cole have a customizable appearance. However, that wouldn't work because of the comic cutscenes.
lastinline said:
Same here. I wear my avatar proudly.
Good for you, but just who is that guy? Doesn't look like anyone I know. :p

Garjon

I was one of the ones opposed to the new design (although to be fair, the VA was much improved) so this news is welcome. Hopefully, the new new Cole model will look more detailed than the old (shouldn't be too hard I imagine).

However, this news is mostly moot, considering my reasons for liking the original excluded the characters.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This is great news. I couldn't get over that idiotic redesign. Sure, Infamous1 Cole wasn't exactly cool but he was just generic and forgettable, not moronic and Xtreme.

I'm glad that Sucker Punch is receptive to their fans.

Madman

Solid warrior said:
seriously, they are allowing the 'fanbase' to interfere with their design and direction decisions during game development?

how about they change the whole setting and put it in a middle eastern desert or something. :/
Whatever they do, I'm sure they aren't making decisions without thinking about it.

Make Cole look like a normal person, not a focus grouped abomination like the new model.

The voice is fine, just say to yourselves that his voice was fucked up from getting blown up/given powers at the start of the first game, and by now the damage to his larynx has healed so he doesn't sound like he just gargled some sand and gravel.

Totobeni said:
well the face of the in-game model is not like that cg model in your avatar.
I know that. I wanted him to look like my avatar, but I dealt with the new Cole. Now, I got attached to both, and it's going to take a little while to get over the fact that he's going to be bald again.

Razgreez

This actually sorta makes me feel kinda warm and fuzzy inside. Even though i never expressed the fact that i disliked the newer Cole's look i had a very faint hope sucker punch were listening to my thoughts telepathically and guess what, they were. I feel so special now...:D

Top Bottom