• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why even use the IP? There is literally no reason to revive Star Tropics.

I do however agree, that Retro would probably be able to make an amazing Adventure game. But there is simply no reason to use the Star Tropics IP to achieve that. If they go for an adventurous game, they should make a new IP. One that actually carries a title that doesn't invoke soft drinks or 80s disco music.

I hold the same opinion about Star Fox. As much as I like the N64 game, the characters and fiction are too flat and uninteresting to waste Retros talent on it.

It's like expecting DICE/Infinity Ward to release a thoughtfull examination of War and the intricacies of a human mind being subjected to the madness of modern warfare, instead of writing a script with a 10/1 ratio of expletives and machismo galore.

Why not?
It has an interesting world and characters and it's a good nod to hardcore fans.

SomeDude

Banned
Why doesn't Retro just do a 2d Metroid? In fact that kinda makes more sense then passing the Donkey Kong franchise to them.

Roo

Why doesn't Retro just do a 2d Metroid? In fact that kinda makes more sense then passing the Donkey Kong franchise to them.

For some reason I can't picture the current Metroid model in 2D/2.5D to work like DKCR.
I can totally see them working with 2.5D and 3D a la Metroid Other M but that's it.

It worked 20 years ago but now Metroid is synonymous of huge 3D enviroments :p

NCL gives Retro advice and feedback and guides them to the right direction but they don't do any actual development work. The most concrete thing that comes from NCL is soundtrack by Kenji Yamamoto.

This could of course change after the EAD x Retro joint development of Mario Kart 7.

This is a bunch of art made by nintendo concept artists,who was given at japan schools in a pamphlet,take a look at the botton.

nintendopamphlet2011-02ne9.jpg

At least,spd created 1 character from dkcr.

They're rebooting F-Zero into a racer/side-scrolling beat 'em up hybrid, and it'll be the first internally made Mature title that NOA will publish.

Seik

Banned
For some reason I can't picture the current Metroid model in 2D/2.5D to work like DKCR.
I can totally see them working with 2.5D and 3D a la Metroid Other M but that's it.

It worked 20 years ago but now Metroid is synonymous of huge 3D enviroments :p

If it is actually well made and have a better story/narration than Other M, I'd definitely see a 2.5D Metroid made by Retro be just as successful as DKCR. With something like the Wii-U coming, there's much potential to be unleashed...

I actually had fun with Other M, but there's a lot of fucked up things in there. Playing it a second time made me realize how blinded I was by hype.

Or they could just come back with the Prime series recipe and I'd be happy too.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and please, I want the Kremlings/K. Rool back for the next DKCR. D:

TriGen

Personally I want it to be either a Platformer, RPG or action/adventure game and I really want it not to be a fighting, racing or FPS game, Retro should do games with bigger worlds. I am really curious though if Nintendo would use Retro to try and make an FPS like some are suggesting though, even if I wouldn't want that, would be interesting.

Instro

I think the problem is the concept of taking a popular game and imagining that an old Nintendo IP if recreated would be the carbon copy yet potential killer app of that proposed game. Originally it was Icarus of War. But when Kid Icarus resurfaced it was not Pit in a God of War game. Now it is StarTropics being an "Uncharted" game. Again, if we ever saw a Star Tropics game, I think it would be something different.

That said I think there's a lot of potential for some of those old properties if they wanted to take a shot at re-imagining them. Star Tropics, Mach Rider, etc.

Truth101

Banned
I'm hoping for a Mario FPS for all ages.

Paintball guns as the basic weapons..

...then all the various power-ups/weapons from Mario platformers/Mario Kart.

Green shells,red shells,blue shells,fireballs, freeze your enemies, F.L.U.D.D. for an FPS water cannon, thunderbolt to slowdown/shrink enemies, squid ink gun , banana slip hazards, ghost ability to go through walls etc.etc.

It would be an ideal launch title. A new Mario game (from a new series..so people won't be bored/tired of it), online multiplayer to encourage Wii U users to actually get their hardware online, aimed at a wide variety of people, in what's currently the most popular genre.

...but I'm expecting Metroid..which won't sell that well or push much hardware....even if it's incredible.

I've always wanted that game to be made...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm wondering this too. They keep on getting all of this great artistic talent all of a sudden, I'm curious what they're making to be pulling in all of these artists to work with them.

Given that most of these artists are best-known for a sort of grittier realistic style, I doubt that it's Donkey Kong Country Returns 2.

Amir0x

Banned
As always with Retro cautiously optimistic. I don't think this is a new Donkey Kong Country, thank God, so I can be genuinely excited if it turns out to be something special.

But don't you go near Zelda, Retro.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I think Retro is definitely returning to Metroid. Imagine a Metroid Prime 4 for WiiU launch; it would sell extremely good for being a launch title alone, which is something that the franchise and Nintendo needs.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
While I wouldn't mind Metroid (I do love the series) I am actually interested to see them work on other franchises, since so far their resume is basically three Metroid games and Donkey Kong.

I wonder if that Eternal Darkness rumor from a while back has any truth to it? Silicon Knights have also been busy with something lately, and tease it's a fan favorite. There was a rumor after DKCR released that Retro would be working with them on Eternal Darkness 2 that hasn't been confirmed or deconfirmed yet.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not sure what they could do with Eternal Darkness. First they'd need to implement gameplay that didn't suck, which I'm sure they probably could do. But then they'd need to find a way to make the sanity system not a one-trick pony. People were fooled the first time, maybe, but a second time? Ten minutes into the first game all I did was intentionally get my sanity as low as possible so I can see whatever the ridiculously obvious 'sanity trick' was. It was like a running gag to me, not scary at all or particularly tricky. Need real penalties for that sort of thing, and less obvious trickery.

I think Retro would be rad on a Star Tropics reboot. It's sort of American-ish, and it's sort of Zelda-ish, so it could be their attempt at a Zelda without really being a Zelda, and the addition of a new ongoing franchise among Nintendo's stale lineup. Nintendo really badly needs to expand their lineup outside of their training/casualware crap and five key stables of mascot crap. Failing that, let them make a genuinely new IP!

Actually, scratch that, I hope it is a new IP first and foremost.

Log4Girlz

As always with Retro cautiously optimistic. I don't think this is a new Donkey Kong Country, thank God, so I can be genuinely excited if it turns out to be something special.

But don't you go near Zelda, Retro.

LET THEM DO THE GRAAAAAPPPPHHHIIIIICCCCSSSSS

Amir0x

Banned
i mean whoever is doing the graphics in Zelda HD, it's not too bad. That's about right where it should be.

Although I hope just because it's HD they're not tempted to go with that Zelda style again. I would love Wind Waker-esque toon shading next-gen HD visual style. I mean, my dream of true Dark Shading Majora's Mask would be so easy in HD, and with so much potential from an artistic point of view... oh please please :D

i mean whoever is doing the graphics in Zelda HD, it's not too bad. That's about right where it should be.

Although I hope just because it's HD they're not tempted to go with that Zelda style again. I would love Wind Waker-esque toon shading next-gen HD visual style. I mean, my dream of true Dark Shading Majora's Mask would be so easy in HD, and with so much potential from an artistic point of view... oh please please :D

This is a dream we share.

Amir0x

Banned
Mayhap we share the dream of the next Final Fantasy being "Batshit insane Yoshitaka Amano shifting watercolor dream 1001 Nights-style HD shading"?*

"Batshit insane Yoshitaka Amano shifting watercolor dream 1001 Nights-style HD shading" is the technical term for the visual shading technique

points for using the word mayhap.

and....no, never was a big fan of FF, that said more hand drawn/colored art styles is always welcome. Personally i want see a game/film done in an oil painting style.

Amir0x

Banned
You don't need to be a fan of Final Fantasy to understand the glory that would be a game with that sort of art style!

Swoon in all its glory here.

A game in that style would proooobably make me shit my pants. In joy. Because I defecate on myself whenever I'm happy....

....don't judge me!

Neiteio

I agree with you, Ami, on the Amano-style FF and MM-style cel-shaded Zelda -- but Eternal Darkness was more solid than you make it out to be! Though it certainly could be improved, and with advancements in that genre (third-person) since then, I'm sure it only would. :)

I want more DKC

I need more DKC

I pay whatever price. There will be a check with my name on it, and a place to fill in the amount necessary to fund more DKC.

Neiteio

I want more DKC

I need more DKC

I pay whatever price. There will be a check with my name on it, and a place to fill in the amount necessary to fund more DKC.
Maybe Retro will pull a Naughty Dog and reveal they have two teams, one of which is making a highly requested sequel (Metroid or DKC). :)

Amir0x

Banned
I think we had that ED discussion before, Neiteio... I think. I just think while the potential is there, and I encourage all Lovecraft-inspired works, I feel that the game was more a series of relatively appealing concepts poorly strung together than a really cohesive classic game. The core gameplay was really pretty bad, and the sanity system simply didn't work well beyond MAYBE the first initial 'oh... oh you got me.' After that, because the penalties were so poor and because the tricks were so obvious, the biggest draw of the game sort of evaporated into a circus sideshow. To me.

Don't get me wrong, if anyone can make a good Eternal Darkness game it'd be Retro... I trust they are talented enough to do so whilst simultaneously dropping the gimmickry. I just would rather they point their noses at something new, or Star Tropics. Much riper fields for picking

Neiteio

I think we had that ED discussion before, Neiteio... I think. I just think while the potential is there, and I encourage all Lovecraft-inspired works, I feel that the game was more a series of relatively appealing concepts poorly strung together than a really cohesive classic game. The core gameplay was really pretty bad, and the sanity system simply didn't work well beyond MAYBE the first initial 'oh... oh you got me.' After that, because the penalties were so poor and because the tricks were so obvious, the biggest draw of the game sort of evaporated into a circus sideshow. To me.
I think I understand where you're coming from. While I did find the game compelling enough to play through all three story branches, I think it was other factors that kept me going. One, the game did a good job of making it feel like a threat could appear anywhere at anytime -- the real benefit of a Lovecraft-inspired story, since you're dealing with foes that defy the laws of time and space. And two, the camera work framed each situation well so that I felt in control (unlike the old-school Resident Evils) but so that there was still a sense of danger. Like in one of the church levels, you're walking down a hall that heads toward the screen and then makes a bend down another passage into the screen; the way the camera keeps its position made it feel like I was delving deeper into the catacombs and that there could be a monster around the next corner.

I feel clumsy describing it, but it just had a cool sense of place, especialy in the Roivas Estate that was the hub between levels, changing subtly after each chapter so that as soon as Alex closes the tome you feel obligated (and afraid) to check each room again to see if something horrible has appeared. Again, that's the best Lovecraftian element they incorporated; not the sanity effects, but the sense that anything could change at any time. The "creeping horror," if you would.

The gameplay itself could be clunky, though. Aiming and hit detection was occasionally spotty, and spellcasting was a bit cumbersome. Although it was cool using the red spell to enchant a shotgun and then walking around with it all glowy-like, knowing you could easily blast the arms off those cool-looking-but-tough muscle mannequin zombies!

At any rate, wasn't the ED rumor linked to Silicon Knights? Or are we thinking that maybe they've paired up with Retro Studios? It sounds like SK's a bit thin now after all of the unfortunate layoffs...

Don't get me wrong, if anyone can make a good Eternal Darkness game it'd be Retro... I trust they are talented enough to do so whilst simultaneously dropping the gimmickry. I just would rather they point their noses at something new, or Star Tropics. Much riper fields for picking
I would love to see them attempt Star Tropics, especially after Sakurai's awesome revival of Kid Icarus.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Franchises I want Retro to tackle?

1. Pokemon MMO with real-time battles based on Kanto/Johto regions.
2. Starfox with well-made on-foot, on-tank, on-arwing gameplay. 64 player online battles on two fronts - one in space, the other on the planet. Teams must manage their 32 players between the two fields of battle to win by traveling... real time... between space and planet.
3. Xenoblade/Ravenblade action/adventure with a gorgeous world to explore and satisfying combat.
4. Metroid Prime 4 with gorgeous graphics, extreme biodiversity, and atmosphere out the ass.

[edit] Also, I severely doubt their project will be ready for launch... but hopefully by march! PLEASE MY MARCH!

Amir0x

Banned
I think I understand where you're coming from. While I did find the game compelling enough to play through all three story branches, I think it was other factors that kept me going. One, the game did a good job of making it feel like a threat could appear anywhere at anytime -- the real benefit of a Lovecraft-inspired story, since you're dealing with foes that defy the laws of time and space. And two, the camera work framed each situation well so that I felt in control (unlike the old-school Resident Evils) but so that there was still a sense of danger. Like in one of the church levels, you're walking down a hall that heads toward the screen and then makes a bend down another passage into the screen; the way the camera keeps its position made it feel like I was delving deeper into the catacombs and that there could be a monster around the next corner.

I feel clumsy describing it, but it just had a cool sense of place, especialy in the Roivas Estate that was the hub between levels, changing subtly after each chapter so that as soon as Alex closes the tome you feel obligated (and afraid) to check each room again to see if something horrible has appeared. Again, that's the best Lovecraftian element they incorporated; not the sanity effects, but the sense that anything could change at any time. The "creeping horror," if you would.

The gameplay itself could be clunky, though. Aiming and hit detection was occasionally spotty, and spellcasting was a bit cumbersome. Although it was cool using the red spell to enchant a shotgun and then walking around with it all glowy-like, knowing you could easily blast the arms off those cool-looking-but-tough muscle mannequin zombies!

At any rate, wasn't the ED rumor linked to Silicon Knights? Or are we thinking that maybe they've paired up with Retro Studios? It sounds like SK's a bit thin now after all of the unfortunate layoffs...

Yeah, I understand why others can like it. It felt really unique, and the different time periods just felt like an incredibly untapped bit of potential if ever there was some. It did have a "cool sense of place", I think you're on the money there. And that's probably the reason I finished it, although I couldn't go through all the times required to see everything. I bored out before then :p

Still, I play anything Lovecraft, at least try it anyway, and I'll probably try an ED2, despite my better judgment. I bet Retro would make a way better game than Silicon Knights ever could, though. They're just an inherently more talented studio through and through if you ask me. I didn't like DKC, but it wasn't because they made a bad game. I think it was because of the stupid shake to roll, which if I am to understand correctly wasn't even their final decision. And because, well, frankly I don't think the DKC has a good foundation to begin with, but... separate argument. I'm just a platformer whore with particular standards in that arena. Point stands, Retro is super talented and can probably make ED2 worth something amazing.

I would love to see them attempt Star Tropics, especially after Sakurai's awesome revival of Kid Icarus.

I don't know about that Icarus. It's like a lot of Sakurai's works, super packed with extra shit to do, but boy those on foot controls... and I just don't know, like Smash for me it feels like it's missing that essential depth (or compelling level design, as is the case here) to really make it special. I think it's an 8.0 game probably because the flying parts are sooo good, but it didn't take me to nirvana or anything.

Anyway, would Sakurai be working on a Star Tropics? Was he involved in the first? I'm not sure, but if anything I can be sure if he did work on Star Tropics, there would be something being unlocked every two seconds. The man knows how to provide compelling unlocks. He should be called king of unlocks.

I really can't see Nintendo wanting to continue the Metroid series right now since it's in a pretty bad place. Corruption sold like 1.3m worldwide I think and MP4 could sell less with the decline of the IP after Other M unless some pretty major changes are made. And if they're going to change it majorly, I'd rather have them do a new IP.

Metroid's my favorite series other than Mario, but I don't know if I see too much hope for it continuing when DKCR outsold the entire MP Trilogy. Maybe I'm too pessimistic though.

Anth0ny

JackNicholsonNodding.gif

Neiteio

Yeah, I understand why others can like it. It felt really unique, and the different time periods just felt like an incredibly untapped bit of potential if ever there was some. It did have a "cool sense of place", I think you're on the money there. And that's probably the reason I finished it, although I couldn't go through all the times required to see everything. I bored out before then :p

Still, I play anything Lovecraft, at least try it anyway, and I'll probably try an ED2, despite my better judgment. I bet Retro would make a way better game than Silicon Knights ever could, though. They're just an inherently more talented studio through and through if you ask me. I didn't like DKC, but it wasn't because they made a bad game. I think it was because of the stupid shake to roll, which if I am to understand correctly wasn't even their final decision. And because, well, frankly I don't think the DKC has a good foundation to begin with, but... separate argument. I'm just a platformer whore with particular standards in that arena. Point stands, Retro is super talented and can probably make ED2 worth something amazing.
I loved DKCR, but then again I loved the DKC games (especially DKC2). I know you've never been too found of that series, and I know it's a very different style from other platformers you like (such as Super Meat Boy, which I also love). I think Retro tightened up the level design and flow compared to the Super NES games, but I guess it wasn't enough for you, eh? My only problems with DKCR were shake to roll, which you mentioned, but also the game errs a bit too heavily on trial and error, literally to the point where some sequences are like a rhythm game. I remember in the cliff levels, there were points where I had to memorize input sequences like "hold button all the way down for full jump here, then immediately do three light taps for half-jumps to avoid hitting the spiked ceiling there," and so on. So it was a bit rigid in that respect, but on the whole it was so, so awesome, imo. It's a shame one of the level design leads left for the Halo 4 team, iirc.

Regarding "playing anything Lovecraft" -- did you ever get around to playing Amnesia? It's Lovecraft-inspired, and it's what I consider the crown jewel of horror. I don't think I ever read your take on it. It's only like $4 on Steam sales these days.

I don't know about that Icarus. It's like a lot of Sakurai's works, super packed with extra shit to do, but boy those on foot controls... and I just don't know, like Smash for me it feels like it's missing that essential depth (or compelling level design, as is the case here) to really make it special. I think it's an 8.0 game probably because the flying parts are sooo good, but it didn't take me to nirvana or anything.

Anyway, would Sakurai be working on a Star Tropics? Was he involved in the first? I'm not sure, but if anything I can be sure if he did work on Star Tropics, there would be something being unlocked every two seconds. The man knows how to provide compelling unlocks. He should be called king of unlocks.
I was really curious if you had played Kid Icarus. You and I have differed on our subjective take of things before, but I feel I know your tastes well enough to think you would've really liked Kid Icarus. I personally took to the ground controls really quick and love the tactile feeling of moving the stylus and the pinpoint precision it affords. It's like the nervous twitch gameplay of a first-person shooter like Unreal Tournament. I love it, and I thought this brand of action would've been right up your alley. Kid Icarus is also the fresh new Nintendo franchise we've all been hankering for, neither Mario nor Zelda nor Metroid nor any of the other staples the company usually falls back on. After 20+ years, it's practically a brand new IP, and the solo campaign is practically a trilogy unto itself, with dozens of chapters and hundreds of characters and content galore. I'm a bit bummed to hear it didn't blow your mind like it did mine. I thought it would've been a hit with you. The writing also is like Thousand-Year Door levels of wit, which I would think you'd appreciate. :)

"Sense of place" was one of the stand out things about Eternal Darkness. The cathedral in Amiens, as it transitions from Post-Roman reign of Charlemagne, to Inquistion-era medieval period, to World War I field hospital, is one of my favorite settings in any game. Roivas Estate is a close second, especially Maximilian's level. The other two were a bit more "video gamey" (Lost city in Persian ruins and Cambodian trap temple) but they still had a lot of atmosphere.

Neiteio

"Sense of place" was one of the stand out things about Eternal Darkness. The cathedral in Amiens, as it transitions from Post-Roman reign of Charlemagne, to Inquistion-era medieval period, to World War I field hospital, is one of my favorite settings in any game.
Agreed. Especially the Inquisition level -- you take an already frightening, fucked-up time period (not that WWI wasn't) and layer in occultists and shambling undimensioned darkness, etc, and it's almost too much. Setting it in a storm at night just upped the intensity of that whole level tenfold. And this reminds me of something else ED did well: The enemy felt really, truly EVIL. Like when Agustus welcomes you into the church, masquerading as a church official, you feel chills just listening to him. There's such a strong sense of "blood on his hands," if you would; people being cemented alive in stone pillars, countless blood sacrifices, etc. Just horrifying stuff, done repeatedly over some 2,000 years. When the final battle rolled around, I overlooked how lame and repetitious it was because I was so eager to finally defeat that fucker, lol.

Amir0x

Banned
I loved DKCR, but then again I loved the DKC games (especially DKC2). I know you've never been too found of that series, and I know it's a very different style from other platformers you like (such as Super Meat Boy, which I also love). I think Retro tightened up the level design and flow compared to the Super NES games, but I guess it wasn't enough for you, eh? My only problems with DKCR were shake to roll, which you mentioned, but also the game errs a bit too heavily on trial and error, literally to the point where some sequences are like a rhythm game. I remember in the cliff levels, there were points where I had to memorize input sequences like "hold button all the way down for full jump here, then immediately do three light taps for half-jumps to avoid hitting the spiked ceiling there," and so on. So it was a bit rigid in that respect, but on the whole it was so, so awesome, imo. It's a shame one of the level design leads left for the Halo 4 team, iirc.

For one thing they could just up and remove the entire minecraft world and the rocket levels. And for another, they could just make the entire game those temple special levels. That'd be rad. And of course, shake to roll was for me almost game ruining in of itself, but honestly if everything else was great it'd be ok. I do think it improved in some areas, of course, it is better than the SNES DKC games, but I never liked those at all (except for the music, which is insanely incredible. Which is the worst part of DKCR, so that is a disappointment).

Anyway, DKCR isn't a bad game. I mean, in the realm of platformers it's probably mid tier for me. Retro is so talented they managed to make a DKC game I could stomach all the way through, so you should take that as a positive.

Regarding "playing anything Lovecraft" -- did you ever get around to playing Amnesia? It's Lovecraft-inspired, and it's what I consider the crown jewel of horror. I don't think I ever read your take on it. It's only like $4 on Steam sales these days.

Oh fuck yeah I did. That game is very special indeed, and I'd say definitely one of the most genuinely heart stopping horror experiences in the medium. The part with the water is what did me in, though. First time I jumped in a game since...
Tomb Raider 1... long story, but that also led to my first and only major non-blister related physical injury by playing a game

I was really curious if you had played Kid Icarus. You and I have differed on our subjective take of things before, but I feel I know your tastes well enough to think you would've really liked Kid Icarus. I personally took to the ground controls really quick and love the tactile feeling of moving the stylus and the pinpoint precision it affords. It's like the nervous twitch gameplay of a first-person shooter like Unreal Tournament. I love it, and I thought this brand of action would've been right up your alley. Kid Icarus is also the fresh new Nintendo franchise we've all been hankering for, neither Mario nor Zelda nor Metroid nor any of the other staples the company usually falls back on. After 20+ years, it's practically a brand new IP, and the solo campaign is practically a trilogy unto itself, with dozens of chapters and hundreds of characters and content galore. I'm a bit bummed to hear it didn't blow your mind like it did mine. I thought it would've been a hit with you. The writing also is like Thousand-Year Door levels of wit, which I would think you'd appreciate. :)

I'm a pretty harsh critic, if I give something an 8.0 it's still pretty good. It didn't blow my mind because to me the on foot segments make up a big chunk of the game, and for however "used to it" i eventually got, it did not excuse to me the fact that it was an abysmal bit of game design. Virtually any alternative would have felt better. It was always in the back of my head how annoying it was, so that was a huge bit of problem for me to get around. I did get around it, but it just shouldn't have been an issue to begin with. It was amateur hour with that mistake. Also as for the controls, I didn't think the stylus controls were anything special (same as always, basically), but they worked, and they don't inhibit the flying segments which is all i was concerned about. As long as I can see the screen well and I don't need my sausage hands blocking real estate, I can get around it.

I really do like the game and it has a rad soundtrack. Sakurai games seem to have that too. The flight segments reminded me of a higher budget Sin & Punishment or something, and there's lots of customization throughout the experience. I'm a huge fan of customization (which is why it always baffles me why there aren't more control customization. It always strikes me how many complaints can evaporate if developers just gave fans more control over their controls. After all, we're the ones who have to suffer through their shitty choices :p)

Anth0ny

For one thing they could just up and remove the entire minecraft world and the rocket levels. And for another, they could just make the entire game those temple special levels. That'd be rad. And of course, shake to roll was for me almost game ruining in of itself, but honestly if everything else was great it'd be ok. I do think it improved in some areas, of course, it is better than the SNES DKC games, but I never liked those at all (except for the music, which is insanely incredible. Which is the worst part of DKCR, so that is a disappointment).

Anyway, DKCR isn't a bad game. I mean, in the realm of platformers it's probably mid tier for me. Retro is so talented they managed to make a DKC game I could stomach all the way through, so you should take that as a positive.

Are you me?

Fuck those minecart and rocket levels straight to hell. Just awful. On the other hand, those temple stages were some of the best 2D platforming stages I've ever played in my life.

I played with waggle for about 10 minutes before I was ready to throw my god damn Wiimote out the window. Classic controller hack helped me get through that game with my sanity in tact.

Heh. I loved the minecart levels in the same way I love playing Punchout!!
I did love those temple levels too though, great stuff.

I never had a problem with the "waggle" in my entire time playing it, though. Honestly I don't even remember that it was in the game until somebody mentions it.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Are you me?

Fuck those minecart and rocket levels straight to hell. Just awful. On the other hand, those temple stages were some of the best 2D platforming stages I've ever played in my life.

I played with waggle for about 10 minutes before I was ready to throw my god damn Wiimote out the window. Classic controller hack helped me get through that game with my sanity in tact.

The main problem with those levels is that they were too unforgiving. Why the hell did they make them 1 hit= death even when you have diddy kong.

THERE WAS NOT POINT TO HAVING DIDDY KONG IN THOSE LEVELS.

making it take at least two hits when you have a partner would have helped A LOT.

Amir0x

Banned
The main problem with those levels is that they were too unforgiving. Why the hell did they make them 1 hit= death even when you have diddy kong.

THERE WAS NOT POINT TO HAVING DIDDY KONG IN THOSE LEVELS.

making it take at least two hits when you have a partner would have helped A LOT.

Too unforgiving!? Sounds like a game to me :D

Are you me?

I want to try the hack so bad. I got through DKCR ok, but I gave up on time running pretty early on because of shake to roll. I'm sure it's possible - let me stop the legions of diehards willing to post youtube videos of their mega super world record ala shake to roll - but it's just inferior and annoying. And I'll not settle for that. No reason to, I have better things to play that don't do such things :p

The temple levels were really engaging. I beat several of them on the first try, so it's possible to actually do it if you apply some concentration, but they're also difficult enough to make such a prospect really tough. They're just the right difficulty for me.

Heh. I loved the minecart levels in the same way I love playing Punchout!!

It's not bad to have one or two bonus levels like this. It's just shitty to have an entire world dedicated so such shitty maps. It's more like memorize the track layout instead of actual pure skill. It's possible to beat on first runs, but the nature of the break aways that are difficult to predict and lowering cave ceilings and shit like that makes it more about replaying to sustain a memory of precisely where things are. It's my most hated design philosophy. I want a platformer, if I wanted something else I would have purchased something else. Rayman Origins had the right idea with its bonus little flight segments. Incidentally, Rayman Origins is about fifty infinity billion times superior to DKCR.

I never had a problem with the "waggle" in my entire time playing it, though. Honestly I don't even remember that it was in the game until somebody mentions it.

If I had a quarter for every time I come on GAF and hear people say that the one thing everyone complains about is not an issue for them, I'd have... a lot of quarters. ;P

Anecdotally, when I had DKCR quite a few people I knew wanted to play it because they had fond memories of the SNES game. Not a single one could stomach shake to roll for more than a single level without complaining vigorously about it. At least two of 'em even gave up over that aspect alone. And for me, I considered it a pretty grave misstep - and I'm superb at platformers, so it's not like I have trouble in these sorts of games. It was the sole control-related misstep. It was inferior to the standard control model, it's not even really a comparison, and because it's such an important move (especially for skill runs), it becomes increasingly an issue. Forget about temple time runs. One can 'adapt' to it, but if you're 'adapting' to it in an uncomfortable fashion, then just let people who aren't addicted to gimmicks have the option to turn it off. Then nobody loses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom