• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeda

Guys it's not gonna be a straight up Zelda game, it's gonna be a spin off. Aonuma and Co will still release the traditional Zelda for Wii U.

Dr.Hadji

Retro, FromSoftware, and some guys from Bethesda team-up under Tezuka to do a Zelda reboot in the vein of I, II, & a touch of III...without puzzles and NPCs and "side quests" and intro sequences and Cutscenes and Fischer Price game mechanics...

LOL. I hope this collaboration does happen but the whole game is made up of nothing but motion and touch controls. I would love to see how much of this "objective" criticism is actually new control style hate.

oatmeal

Banned
WAT IS HAPPENING

eternaldarkness_050702_4_640w.jpg

LOL. I hope this collaboration does happen but the whole game is made up of nothing but motion and touch controls. I would love to see how much of this "objective" criticism is actually new control style hate.

I was talking about every Zelda game since OoT having Fischer-Price game mechanics - not just SS. Zelda went to crap after ALttP.

AntMurda

Someone needs to reboot Zelda...

Fire the EAD Zelda team (except for Tezuka)... throw Miyamoto, Aonuma, and Sakamoto into the Fukushima meltdown...

Aonuma is the man directly responsible for creating the 3D dungeons of Zelda. He was basically the guy that took Tezuka's 2D dungeons, and crafted his signature 3D dungeons. Basically the most important thing about 3D Zelda. Tezuka unfortunately has not been involved in any 3D design of any game. Matter of fact, he is admittedly not very good at it. It is a foreign subject to him. But a lot of the other complaints about the Zelda series are things that might be from the higher ups that will not change by a developer changing hands, if Miyamoto still wants to impose constraints.

Let Treasure and ex Factor 5 employees do StarFox...

What universe is this? How about Panzer Dragoon team and Kojima Productions instead.

Retro and the ghost of Gunpei Yokoi (via Quija Borad) do a reboot of Metroid in the vein of I, II, & III.

Yokoi was never a game designer. Sakamoto was the man who can be credited with creating the structure of Metroid. Metroid 1, Metroid 3, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission are all his structural planning.

Metroid and Zelda need to be rebooted quickly because Nintendo has practically killed them.

How so? By one entry in the series you don't like of each?

Whaaaat? so no OoT? no MM? no WW? are you serious?

Those games aren't bad games, generally speaking, but they don't have the feel of Zelda. They veered way off course.... As far as I'm concerned, there are three Zelda games - I, II, and III. Everything else is just a themed off-shoot without the game mechanics (here I mean how the game "feels" to play - the way the character and enemies control) and without the sense of adventure.

Those games aren't bad games, generally speaking, but they don't have the feel of Zelda. They veered way off course.... As far as I'm concerned, there are three Zelda games - I, II, and III. Everything else is just a themed off-shoot without the game mechanics (here I mean how the game "feels" to play - the way the character and enemies control) and without the sense of adventure.

You rebel.

It's when inept management discovers that an aggressive release schedule is unobtainable without:
A. Delaying the schedule.
B. Taking away game features.
C. Releasing a buggy game.
D. Making it a requirement that everyone work long hours.

And they choose D because that's how things go these days.

If you wanna work for Bethesda, you should mark "C" on your questioning form, or else you won´t get the job!

Its mandatory!
j/k

Coolwhip

Banned

How can you not like OoT? The rest I agree with though.

Aonuma is the man directly responsible for creating the 3D dungeons of Zelda. He was basically the guy that took Tezuka's 2D dungeons, and crafted his signature 3D dungeons.
Exactly - you said it better than I did.

Tezuka unfortunately has not been involved in any 3D design of any game.
Unfortunately.

Matter of fact, he is admittedly not very good at it. It is a foreign subject to him.
Apparently, neither is anyone else at Nintendo.

But a lot of the other complaints about the Zelda series are things that might be from the higher ups that will not change by a developer changing hands, if Miyamoto still wants to impose constraints.
That is why he would be leaving along with Aonuma and Sakamoto.
What universe is this? How about Panzer Dragoon team and Kojima Productions instead.
Fine... put them in their too.

Yokoi was never a game designer. Sakamoto was the man who can be credited with creating the structure of Metroid. Metroid 1, Metroid 3, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission are all his structural planning.
He is the creator of Metroid... he may have understood the experience it was trying to deliver to the consumer. Sakamoto does not.

How so? By one entry in the series you don't like of each?
Because consumers don't believes it until they sees it.

AntMurda

Exactly - you said it better than I did.

But the 3D dungeons of Zelda are the best part. In fact. They are the paradigm of level design in the industry. The complaints range on other matters. Wow. Were you serious?

Apparently, neither is anyone else at Nintendo.

Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess have unparallel 3D level design. Nintendo's faults are certainly not designing levels.

He is the creator of Metroid... he may have understood the experience it was trying to deliver to the consumer. Sakamoto does not.

No he is not. Yokoi had nothing to do with any of that. There are some good team interviews out there explaining how the game came together. Yokoi had very little to do with it.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I have to admit I don't understand the appeal of Retro doing a StarFox or F-Zero game. There are devs that are better suited for them imo. Treasure would make a great StarFox and Sega did a superb job with F-Zero. Kamiya (Platinum Games) has also expressed an interest in wanting to do a StarFox game. They all seem a lot better fit than Retro.

I really think what would suit both Retro and Nintendo best would be a first person or third person original IP.

Kjellson

I hope Retro isn't working on a new Star Fox. Never been a fan of those games.

The nightmare scenario would be a dudebro FPS however. They're all right but nothing interesting.

But the 3D dungeons of Zelda are the best part. In fact. They are the paradigm of level design in the industry.
According to who?

Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess have unparallel 3D level design. Nintendo's faults are certainly not designing levels.
Well, I don't know... I don't think they were that great - theres just too much stuff in the way that keeps my interest. The thing about the early Zelda and metroid games is that they were simple, intriguing, and complex all at the same time.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."​
-- Antoine de Saint-Exuper

No he is not. Yokoi had nothing to do with any of that. There are some good team interviews out there explaining how the game came together. Yokoi had very little to do with it.
According to the info I've read, he is.

MYE

Must be a wierd and scary world the one you live in.

AntMurda

Guys it's not gonna be a straight up Zelda game, it's gonna be a spin off. Aonuma and Co will still release the traditional Zelda for Wii U.

So the made up Zelda game Retro Studios is developing in dream world is a Zelda spinoff so we shouldn't worry? Whew.

The nightmare scenario would be a dudebro FPS however. They're all right but nothing interesting.

Give the genre some credit. The evidence points towards Retro Studios working on a First Person Shooter, but it would likely be an FPA like the original Metroid Prime and Bioshock. Not exactly a typical dudebro FPS.

According to the info I've read, he is.

What info? There is no first-hand source ever stating Yokoi contributed design to Metroid or any game. Infact, the only game there is proof of Yokoi having a design in is Dr. Mario. Yokoi was more of a hardware engineer and inventor. There are published team interviews from the original Metroid team explaining how the game was developed. How the original Metroid designers were making a straight forward action game, that Sakamoto changed into the adventure item-driven exploration Metroid we know.

Well, I don't know... I don't think they were that great - theres just too much stuff in the way that keeps my interest. The thing about the early Zelda and metroid games is that they were simple, intriguing, and complex all at the same time.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."​
-- Antoine de Saint-Exuper

OK, all games have to go for minimalism from now on, or else they can't be perfect.

You heard it here first, folks.

volpone

Banned
Good thing Skyward Sword changed it up quite a bit.

Skyward Sword:

Collect 3 macguffins. Prolong plot resolution. Collect more macguffins. (Hell Ocarina of Time itself subverts this with the awesome development of travelling 7 years into the future).

Go to Forest area. Interact with a big tree. Complete forest temple. (OoT, WW, TP (the tree being the temple itself this time round))

Go to Fire area. Climb active volcano. Complete Fire temple. (OoT, WW(Climb the volcano while inside the temple), TP (Volcano only seen from a distance - still spews rocks at you))

It's all become so by-the-numbers that there's hardly any excitement in Zelda anymore.

Skyward Sword:

Collect 3 macguffins. Prolong plot resolution. Collect more macguffins. (Hell Ocarina of Time itself subverts this with the awesome development of travelling 7 years into the future).

Go to Forest area. Interact with a big tree. Complete forest temple. (OoT, WW, TP (the tree being the temple itself this time round))

Go to Fire area. Climb active volcano. Complete Fire temple. (OoT, WW(Climb the volcano while inside the temple), TP (Volcano only seen from a distance - still spews rocks at you))

It's all become so by-the-numbers that there's hardly any excitement in Zelda anymore.

For one SS was a prequel, it was expected to show places we have already seen, its one of the cool things about setting games in the same world, secondly all the time travelling aspects(& the implications shown) was pretty new to the Zelda franchise

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Skyward Sword:

I think we'll see more change in Zelda after Skyward Sword considering it was sort of meant to be a "Best of" Zelda title with motion controls. (I think it succeeded on that point).
I actually see Skyward Sword as the Final Fantasy 9 of the Zelda series.

Edit: Oh god, I hope I didn't jinx it. Next Zelda to be in a semi-post apocalyptic water...wait a second, that already happened
and it was good.

Skyward Sword:

Sure you can make all those points, and on paper it would seem like you have a good point.

But when you actually play the game, it feels way different than any previous Zelda game. It didn't FEEL like "go to this area, beat the dungeon, repeat until you win." And honestly, that's not what the game was. It was quite a deviation from the standard formula, and if you didn't like SS, then maybe Zelda as a franchise just isn't for you.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If games didn't have in-game tutorials, the games industry would be in serious trouble.

Yep. Printing manuals is expensive

Edit: Seriously though, why can't games do it like The Witcher 2? It has a separate tutorial level that you don't have to play to start the game. Well, it was added later but still, better concept than to force feed you a slow tutorial sequence (Hello Zelda!)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I doubt the next Zelda game will come with a printed manual.

I was sort of semi-serious actually. It makes complete sense from a business standpoint to just get rid of manuals altogether as they don't really serve a purpose anymore considering how tiny and useless they've become.

Looking in the manual was always a part of the experience in early days. If you couldn't figure something out, you would read the story and see if there were any clues, read the controls again, read the enemies list, read the tips, etc. You look through all the concept art in the manual. Metal Gear had a frequency on the back of the box that you needed. The experience in modern games is lacking.

Mixing the manual and the gameplay is a vital mistake in modern design.

volpone

Banned
Sure you can make all those points, and on paper it would seem like you have a good point.

But when you actually play the game, it feels way different than any previous Zelda game. It didn't FEEL like "go to this area, beat the dungeon, repeat until you win." And honestly, that's not what the game was. It was quite a deviation from the standard formula, and if you didn't like SS, then maybe Zelda as a franchise just isn't for you.

Every new Zelda game does things differently. Some are a success in the eyes of gamers and other are not. But Nintendo never evolves the good ideas into something better i.e. the involving sidequests in Majora's Mask, the real time open world in Wind Waker, the pointer functionality of weapons in TP. They abandon progress and return to the Ocarina of Time template. And once again we end up with a mixed bag of new ideas that faintly wiffs of stagnation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom