• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Customs does not work at the moment from what I can tell. Placed a song in the DLC folder and it didn't load in the game.
Dope. But paid DLC works fine? Does it redownload songs or just use your song library from the first game? Do you still need to have Rocksmith 1 installed?

Fixed1979

Alright, went ahead and bought it on Steam, may double dip eventually.

After about 45 minutes of getting things sorted audio wise I jumped in and started playing, an hour and a half later my finger tips are numb. So far so good.

I had some serious issues with my guitar not being "loud enough", hopefully there's a setting somewhere I can change and it's not an issue with my Gretsch.

Shurayuki

I had some serious issues with my guitar not being "loud enough", hopefully there's a setting somewhere I can change and it's not an issue with my Gretsch.

You could try turning up the 'microphone' volume of the rocksmith cable.
To do so go to the windows sound settings -> recording devices -> "rocksmith guitar adapter" -> levels.

That worked in the original if I remember correctly.

Just got the e-mail that i received a steam gift. redeemed it and now in my library. Just have to wait for the 24th since i´m in austria.

Shop is legit.

Hmm cool, great that you got your order. The shop still seems a bit iffy though, seems they sell russian region keys (or similar), which these key stores sometimes obtain illegally.
Because of this, I think there's a blanket ban on these kinds of sites, so I'd advise against recommending them around on here for the moment. If they're actually legit, all the better.

Onemic

Dope. But paid DLC works fine? Does it redownload songs or just use your song library from the first game? Do you still need to have Rocksmith 1 installed?

I bought Limelight from the RS1 store thinking it would work in 2014. RS2014 ddidn't seem to notice it at all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I bought Limelight from the RS1 store thinking it would work in 2014. RS2014 ddidn't seem to notice it at all.
Gah, so only RS1 "disk" songs work with the upgrade fee then?
They must have changed the way songs work entirely... hopefully the customs guys can figure it out.

Varna

The DLC from RS1 isn't working at the moment. If you go to the in-game shop it will say you own it but there isn't a way to actual play it. Let's hope they get it sorted soon.

Xyber

Can't even start the game. Awful sound.. similar to when I tried and set my latency settings too low in RS1.

Be sure that the settings for your audio device is set at 16 bit 48000hz, same for the guitar under recording devices.

For anyone having audio issues (static/slow audio) on PC, I found that my issue was that Rocksmith 2014 did not like my Xonar DX sound card (yes, I have updated drivers). Once I disconnected it and went with onboard audio, everything was good to go.

Discrete audio cards are not the best way to play, it will add quite a lot of delay that isn't possible to get rid of. So onboard audio is highly recommended anyway.

Just got the e-mail that i received a steam gift. redeemed it and now in my library. Just have to wait for the 24th since i´m in austria.

Shop is legit.

You can download the game now if you download Spotflux, start it up and then launch Steam. For being a proxy you will get pretty good speeds. I got ~2,5MB/s and downloaded the game in about an hour instead of having to wait until Thursday.

When you have downloaded it, put Steam in offline mode and you can then stop the proxy and launch the game. If you let Steam go online with your internet connection the game will lock up again and you need to start Steam with the proxy again and redo offline mode.

I don't know how normal DLC works yet, haven't been able to play it with Steam online since I unlocked it with proxy. But right now it does not show up in my song list.

And yes, still have RS1 installed.

You can download the game now if you download Spotflux, start it up and then launch Steam. For being a proxy you will get pretty good speeds. I got ~2,5MB/s and downloaded the game in about an hour instead of having to wait until Thursday.

When you have downloaded it, put Steam in offline mode and you can then stop the proxy and launch the game. If you let Steam go online with your internet connection the game will lock up again and you need to start Steam with the proxy again and redo offline mode.

Thanks, downloading now. Can´t wait to play the game.

Btw. what guitar are you guys using? I have an epiphone les paul bullsey zakk wylde edition.

Xyber

Btw. what guitar are you guys using? I have an epiphone les paul bullsey zakk wylde edition.

Epiphone SG G-400, my first guitar that I got with the first game last November. Really like it, but I think it's time to get myself a new one soon that is more suited for lower tunings and keep this one for E standard tuning.

DSC02033.jpg

Epiphone SG G-400, my first guitar that I got with the first game last November. Really like it, but I think it's time to get myself a new one soon that is more suited for lower tunings and keep this one for E standard tuning.

Wow, i bought the exact same guitar with the first game too.

Even though i stopped playing after some time, i still bought myself the les paul. I just like buing guitars even if i couldn´t play them lol.

Xyber

Wow, i bought the exact same guitar with the first game too.

Even though i stopped playing after some time, i still bought myself the les paul. I just like buing guitars even if i couldn´t play them lol.

High five! \o

Can't blame you on that LP purchase, is one nice looking guitar.

Varna

Anyone experiencing stuttering?

I played 2-3 hours earlier without issues but now all of a sudden I'm getting incredibly bad stuttering out of nowhere. Did a quick check with other games and it doesn't appear to be my system...

Xyber

I played 2-3 hours earlier without issues but now all of a sudden I'm getting incredibly bad stuttering out of nowhere. Did a quick check with other games and it doesn't appear to be my system...

I played for about 2 hours last night and I didn't experience any stuttering. Did you have some download/upload going on on the same HDD as you have the game?

Varna

I played for about 2 hours last night and I didn't experience any stuttering. Did you have some download/upload going on on the same HDD as you have the game?

Nope. Nothing like that. This is so frustrating. Settings have nothing to do with it. Just tried with every resolution/setting combo and it's the same stuttering frame-rate all the time. Just loaded up RS1 and that works flawless.

Like I said, it was working perfectly fine a few hours which just makes it even more strange.

Roflobear

Has anyone tested this with the pulse elite headphones?

I'm using the music preset and have an HDMI wire connected from my PS3 to my monitor. I haven't experienced any sort of lag at all.

By the way, has anyone who has this game on PS3 gotten the following error in the packs section of the shop?

I tried deleting and reinstalling the game from PSN but it didn't fix the issue. I just want the import tool for them OG Rocksmith songs man :(

elfinke

Left-handed Aria STG in candy apple red. Was the only cheap lefty guitar available when I finally decided put money where my mouth is. I love it though.

Xyber

Yo does the tuner have more options than the last game?

If you are talking about more tunings, then yes.

These are the supported tunings now
E Standard
Open E
Drop D
Open D
Open G
Open A
Eb Standard
DADGAD
Eb Drop Db
D Standard
D Drop C
C# Standard
C Standard

Vintage

God dammit I was changing strings to prepare my guitar for RS2014 and broke a tuning peg dammit. Now I have to fix this fast before it releases tomorrow :\

HKnightz

the guitarcade games are more fun this time around, i actually got first on the leaderboards for one...until more people start to play them :)

XShagrath

Maaaan I really want this but the cable still isn't cheap!
If you're in the Best Buy "Gamer's Club", there's a $20 off coupon for Rocksmith 2012 for 360/PS3. That brings the price down to $10. That's worth it just to get the cable. I'll probably head to my local store today and see if I can pick one up just to get a spare cable and then I can have one hooked up to the PC at all times and one hooked up on the 360 for Bandfuse when that comes out.

Shurayuki

God dammit I was changing strings to prepare my guitar for RS2014 and broke a tuning peg dammit. Now I have to fix this fast before it releases tomorrow :\

Oh no!
Good luck with that.

Luckily I didn't have to change my strings yet, but I'm really scared they'll fly around and cut someones head off (probably mine) when I try to for the first time, I'm lucky like that.

saunderez

Oh no!
Good luck with that.

Luckily I didn't have to change my strings yet, but I'm really scared they'll fly around and cut someones head off (probably mine) when I try to for the first time, I'm lucky like that.
You don't have to worry about that but you do need to be careful with your winding when you put the new strings on, you need to leave enough slack to wind around the peg otherwise you'll have a hell of a time tuning. Silly me wasted a lot of strings early on because I wasn't leaving enough slack.

As for the question earlier about what guitar we are playing, I'm on a Jackson Soloist SLXT.

img_13383964363416.jpg

Not mine but exactly the same.

Shadybiz

Yeah mine starts immediately when the game boots up. I've had stuttering issues with games before, but never as bad as this. I tried booting up RS1 (and a couple other games) to see if it was just my PC being a jerk, but no, the issue was exclusive to RS2.

Be sure that the settings for your audio device is set at 16 bit 48000hz, same for the guitar under recording devices.

Discrete audio cards are not the best way to play, it will add quite a lot of delay that isn't possible to get rid of. So onboard audio is highly recommended anyway.

Awesome, thanks for these tips. With my setup, the external sound card has worked quite well in RS1, but anything's worth a shot. I'll try the first thing you mentioned first, and if that doesn't help, I'll go with the onboard audio.

I'm using the music preset and have an HDMI wire connected from my PS3 to my monitor. I haven't experienced any sort of lag at all.

By the way, has anyone who has this game on PS3 gotten the following error in the packs section of the shop?

I tried deleting and reinstalling the game from PSN but it didn't fix the issue. I just want the import tool for them OG Rocksmith songs man :(

I have the Day1Digital Version the only problem I have occurred was it froze on me once. So you have your set using HDMI? The load screen suggests for best play use composite which is what I'm doing. I also have my pulse elites set to music mode. Again I'm interested in using HDMI as well and you're getting no lag?

Zeth

I remember there being lag/latency issues with the console versions unless you used analog connections.

How does the PC version compare? Can I just get an adapter and be good to go?

edit: also, Schecter C1-Elite, love this baby. (not my photo)
908d1258410142-schecter-c1-elite-slr-c1-pics-004.jpg

j-wood

I have the Day1Digital Version the only problem I have occurred was it froze on me once. So you have your set using HDMI? The load screen suggests for best play use composite which is what I'm doing. I also have my pulse elites set to music mode. Again I'm interested in using HDMI as well and you're getting no lag?

He's using the pulse elite wireless headphones for audio

Xyber

I remember there being lag/latency issues with the console versions unless you used analog connections.

How does the PC version compare? Can I just get an adapter and be good to go?

edit: also, Schecter C1-Elite, love this baby. (not my photo)
http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/attachments/amps-gear-sale-trade-wanted/908d1258410142-schecter-c1-elite-slr-c1-pics-004.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

PC version of both this and the first were great when it comes to the audio lag. Just use the motherboard soundcard because that reduces the lag quite a lot compared to a discrete sound card. You can also tweak some settings to make it better if needed, although this can introduce a crackling sound if you go too far with the settings.

fred

I think it might be important to say that this is a tool to teach you technique and build your muscle memory for chords, scales and fret placement. This game will not teach you theory but getting these basic techniques down I feel is essential to moving into the theory world when you're ready. Biggest problem for me is feeling motivated to practice and even though the first game is flawed, it helped me a lot with building my technique and keeping me engaged in the instrument.

Rocksmith might give you the "Oh cool, this works" moment when playing scales in Session Mode. The inevitable question of "Wait, why does this work?" is where theory comes in via a teacher or online resource.

The best way to learn music theory is to get Scott West's 'Absolutely Understand Guitar'. It's expensive but is brilliant, you won't find a better way to learn music theory anywhere else imo.

XShagrath

I've only gotten in about an hour and a half of RS2014 so far, but wow, has it improved! I can already tell that it's going to help me improve many of my skills, with the most immediate probably being shifting. It's just so much easier to see which four frets your fingers should be on now, and I'm already noticing myself moving my hand to that position pretty naturally.

Since everyone else is posting pics of their instruments, I might as well join the party.

wNyVZ0ll.jpg

The left-most one is my "real" guitar. ESP M100-FM. I got it about 4 months ago when I started to get a bit more serious.

The middle one is the Rock Band Strat that I got originally. I use it for the alternate tunings, since the ESP has a Floyd Rose. Eventually, I'll pick up another fixed-bridge guitar that's better.

The one on the right is my Ibanez electric acoustic. I haven't tried using it in game yet, and mostly use it for practicing on the couch while my wife is using the PC.

j-wood

You only need to use composite so the audio isn't going through the TV. If you are already using the headphones, you can absolutely use an HDMI cable for video.

Alternatively, you can use HDMI for video, but set the audio to go through the analog/optical cables.

The only thing that isn't "optimal" is using HDMI for video and audio but I think that depends on your TV. I had no issues doing that last night.

You only need to use composite so the audio isn't going through the TV. If you are already using the headphones, you can absolutely use an HDMI cable for video.

Alternatively, you can use HDMI for video, but set the audio to go through the analog/optical cables.

The only thing that isn't "optimal" is using HDMI for video and audio but I think that depends on your TV. I had no issues doing that last night.

OK, makes sense.

XShagrath

is it actually possible to learn playing the guitar with this software?

thought about learning to play.

Not sure about RS2014 yet. With 2012, I'd say no. I'd say that it's a great tool to accelerate your skills and learn some tunes. However, I would definitely recommend supplementing Rocksmith with some lessons from a real person. The game just can't teach you some things because it can't look at your form and see that you're doing something wrong.

That's just my two cents.

Xyber

I have only (well, Youtube as well but no teacher or anything) used Rocksmith as my teaching tool since I got it and a guitar last November and I would say yes.

I have come a long way since I first plugged this in to my PC for the first time.

Here's a video of Hypnotize, only played it 2 times before this run so that should tell you something on how far a beginner can come with just Rocksmith. I never would've played anywhere near as good so fast just 6 months ago or something. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDq9P1rSHpU

DrBo42

I think it depends on how you define that and what your ultimate goals are. If you want to get basic technique down and be comfortable with the instrument, RS 2014 will do that. If you want to learn to play songs at your own pace and feel motivated to do so, RS 2014 will do that. If you want to dive deeper and understand why certain positions on the fretboard or chords sound "sad" or "happy" or how they're linked together, that will require further study outside the software.

Top Bottom