• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

So i started really working out about a month and a half ago, made massive progress and I'm proud of myself. Possible stupid question I have but I just don't know these things. My arms are weirdly sore during the weekend where I don't workout, as I have been working out on the weekdays. I feel fine right after I workout, or if I do some pushups it tends to help. Is this normal, anything I can do to help prevent it?

So i started really working out about a month and a half ago, made massive progress and I'm proud of myself. Possible stupid question I have but I just don't know these things. My arms are weirdly sore during the weekend where I don't workout, as I have been working out on the weekdays. I feel fine right after I workout, or if I do some pushups it tends to help. Is this normal, anything I can do to help prevent it?

Your muscles will eventually start getting used to working out and will be less sore. Basically, If your muscles are doing something they arent used to, they get sore.

SeanR1221

Was 230 pounds your top weight Sean? You seem to have a little bit of loose skin (not to be a jerk and its not much), but at 230 you weren't -that- big. How did that happen then?

When I was 14 I weighed about 230 as well with much higher bf% due to never lifting anything in my life. I dropped about 70lbs in a little over a year (just running and dieting). That's when some loose skin around my stomach formed. I lost weight slowly too. I once talked to a plastic surgeon and he explained a lot depends on your genetics

When I was 14 I weighed about 230 as well with much higher bf% due to never lifting anything in my life. I dropped about 70lbs in a little over a year (just running and dieting). That's when some loose skin around my stomach formed. I lost weight slowly too. I once talked to a plastic surgeon and he explained a lot depends on your genetics

Thanks for replying. Are you getting it "fixed" or not?

Im a bit worried myself because I was 280 at one point. 250 now and need to be 230 ish (6 foot 6).

Where do supplements come in as far as ones journey to hit perfect dad bod before summer season hits? Dieting has been on point for the past 2 months and I have another month to go before I hit a goal date but I am trying to cut weight by another 15 or 20 pounds. Was around 235 and I am at 215 now. Belt wise I am pretty much almost on par with my second smallest weight since high school days.

How are your energy levels when you're working out?

Pre-workouts can be clutch for not only motivating you to go but having a great workout. That's the only supplement I use these days.

Ultryx

Height: 6'
Weight: 230 lbs
Goal: Lose weight initially, then would like to gain muscle
Current Training Schedule: Cardio 3-4 times per week for 30-60 mins
Current Training Equipment Available: Access to full gym
Comments: Looking for a little bit of advice. Currently in the process of trying to lose weight. I'm working on cardio, but should I start a weight training program in addition to cardio while I'm cutting? Or should I just stick with the cardio until I'm happy with the weight loss and then focus on lifting a lot and bulking?

demented

I need cardio advise. I broke my arm in January which pretty much fucked up all my lifting for this year. I luckily didn't need surgery but still doing a lot of exercises and arm is very weak but it will be fine.
Problem is due to injury and depression that followed I gained a lot of weight, also fact that I was nearing end of bulk before the injury didn't help lol. So I have a long way to go, I have my diet under check but I know I'll end up looking shit with just diet weight loss, and will take forever.
I started running, C25k plan but weather took the turn for the worst and I couldn't continue. I'm thinking about sticking with it but I really hate running... plus my cartilage isn't in best of shape and I don't want to mess it further, light running should be fine but idk. But yeah, I find it boring, also in back of my head is those sprinter vs marathon runner comparissons lol. I like cycling but I had my bike stolen couple of years ago and I don't really have a lot of money to spend on a new one, with all the expenses for doctors etc, plus based on where I am now it would involve a lot of street riding which I'm not comfortable with.
There's always swimming and I've been thinking about that, still costs few euros per day but idk if I can be consistent with it.

Any recommendations on what I should do? I really want to do something extra to speed this up plus for general health.

KillerBEA

Comments: Looking for a little bit of advice. Currently in the process of trying to lose weight. I'm working on cardio, but should I start a weight training program in addition to cardio while I'm cutting? Or should I just stick with the cardio until I'm happy with the weight loss and then focus on lifting a lot and bulking?

Do some weight training. As novice you can make gains while in a deficit, which will improve your body composition faster

Having increased muscle mass makes it easier to lose weight because your body will have to use calories to feed that extra muscle.

I need cardio advise. I broke my arm in January which pretty much fucked up all my lifting for this year. I luckily didn't need surgery but still doing a lot of exercises and arm is very weak but it will be fine.
Problem is due to injury and depression that followed I gained a lot of weight, also fact that I was nearing end of bulk before the injury didn't help lol. So I have a long way to go, I have my diet under check but I know I'll end up looking shit with just diet weight loss, and will take forever.
I started running, C25k plan but weather took the turn for the worst and I couldn't continue. I'm thinking about sticking with it but I really hate running... plus my cartilage isn't in best of shape and I don't want to mess it further, light running should be fine but idk. But yeah, I find it boring, also in back of my head is those sprinter vs marathon runner comparissons lol. I like cycling but I had my bike stolen couple of years ago and I don't really have a lot of money to spend on a new one, with all the expenses for doctors etc, plus based on where I am now it would involve a lot of street riding which I'm not comfortable with.
There's always swimming and I've been thinking about that, still costs few euros per day but idk if I can be consistent with it.

Any recommendations on what I should do? I really want to do something extra to speed this up plus for general health.

Low-impact aerobics or yoga? Running for fitness is never the best of ideas in my opinion.

Ultryx

Do some weight training. As novice you can make gains while in a deficit, which will improve your body composition faster

So it's okay to combine cardio and weight training. Is it okay to do both on the same day? Which one should be done first. And I'm sure you'll likely recommend any of the starter systems posted in the OP, correct?

Having increased muscle mass makes it easier to lose weight because your body will have to use calories to feed that extra muscle.

Sounds good. I just have the sense that I couldn't build much eating at a deficit and doing cardio. If I do them both on the same day, which one should I do first?

Actually I guess I want to know what a good breakdown would be. If I work out 5-6 days a week should I do both on each day or alternate cardio and weight training?

So...

I should be taking a starting strength seminar later this month. I'm excited cause I have been doing compound movements for about 5 months now but I'm lacking proper programming and training in them so I hope this cleans a lot of my bad habits up.

Also...

Is it possible to not do a bulking phase and still build muscle? I want to get my bf% down and then build from a low bf%. I dont particularly care about how much muscle I build but I dont want to do another bulk because I dont like gaining body fat all then having to do all this diet stuff. I would rather maintain a consistent diet and body fat cause all my expensive clothing (I collect vintage leather jackets) won't fit me anymore :(

Is it possible to have a program that builds muscle but not through the bulk cut way?

So...

I should be taking a starting strength seminar later this month. I'm excited cause I have been doing compound movements for about 5 months now but I'm lacking proper programming and training in them so I hope this cleans a lot of my bad habits up.

Also...

Is it possible to not do a bulking phase and still build muscle? I want to get my bf% down and then build from a low bf%. I dont particularly care about how much muscle I build but I dont want to do another bulk because I dont like gaining body fat all then having to do all this diet stuff. I would rather maintain a consistent diet and body fat cause all my expensive clothing (I collect vintage leather jackets) won't fit me anymore :(

Is it possible to have a program that builds muscle but not through the bulk cut way?

It is possible its just more difficult. Go to athlean x on youtube, he goes into detail in some of his videos.

GKnight

Banned
I've started incorporating HIIT in my training because I really can't handle doing long jogs/bike rides often.

So on the weekend I did:
5 rounds of jump rope
45 seconds on, 30 seconds off

3 rounds of shadowboxing
1:30 on, 30 seconds off

3 rounds of heavy bag

3 rounds on the body dummy

3 rounds of jump rope
45 seconds on, 30 seconds off.

Felt good but forgot how sore jump rope makes my calves.

KillerBEA

So it's okay to combine cardio and weight training. Is it okay to do both on the same day? Which one should be done first. And I'm sure you'll likely recommend any of the starter systems posted in the OP, correct?

I would do them separately if you can but it's perfectly understandable if you can't.

Any of those will work, if you have access to microplates or are willing to buy a pair Greyskull lp would be another good option since the progression would be more realistic for the upperbody movements; increasing 2.5 lbs per session instead of 5 lbs.

3 day bikepacking event.

11 hours of cycling Saturday,
13 hours of cycling Sunday,
7 hours of cycling today.

Will be interesting to see how much everything swells up tomorrow. I've been getting some horrific water retention after recent events.

Best part is, that's nothing compared to what I have coming in two weeks, which is going to look more like 14/14/20.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Did 405 2x10 beltless, previous best I think was 405x10 for a single set. Paused squats helped big time. My arms were completely numb on the last few reps though which could have caused the bar to slip right off my back. Shit was exhausting.

Around 2600 cals with all the melted cheese and bacon.

Um63dJL.jpg

Canon

Banned
I really want to get six-pack abs quickly - I made a promise I would and I want to get there. I would really appreciate any advice specific to my situation.

Height: 182 cm
Weight: 63.4 KG (BMI - 19.1)
Goal: Six-pack abs
Current Training Schedule: Need one. See below for what I currently do.
Current Training Equipment Available: Fitness ball, two 20 LB dumbbells, two yoga mats, Wii Fit U with Balance Board

Comments:
With those numbers, I don't think I'm fat by any means - however, unfortunately, all the fat I do have seems to be in my stomach. My main goal is to get six-pack abs. Anything else is just an added benefit. I'd also like to strengthen my legs but I think I know how to do that already (walk more, do squats).

I used to weigh 200 lbs 5 years ago and lost it simply by walking and eating less (also, an enormous amount of mental stress which I do not recommend). I then weighed 145 lbs in under a year (I even have stretch marks from quickly losing weight).

I know they say abs are made in the kitchen, but is that still true when you're already pretty skinny? It's just my damn stomach that has fat (and there's some under my arms). I don't think it's possible to "target" where you lose weight. And I don't want to weigh any less than I do now. My diet isn't horrible, mainly chicken and rice. I've started eating vegetables quite often and fruit. I have vegan protein powder because I'm lactose intolerant. I used to eat steaks every single day 3 months ago but stopped when I went to Japan (I ate healthy food there). I don't eat chocolate, caffeine, or sugary sweets, I don't drink alcohol or smoke, and all I drink is Almond Milk, Gatorade and water.

Currently all I'm doing for abs are jack knives (which I learned through Wii Fit U). I do about 20 in the afternoon and 10 at night. I do 50 squats in the afternoon and 50 at night. I also occasionally do push-ups but not much. I only walk like 20 mins a day.

Basically I'm asking what is the fastest way for me to get six-pack abs based on this information. Thank you for your help.

What an odd session that was.

Shit day in work, and I'm still feeling very beaten up from the weekend's cycling... but I made numerous improvements in that session. I still feel like crap, but I definitely had strength.

I really want to get six-pack abs quickly - I made a promise I would and I want to get there. I would really appreciate any advice specific to my situation.

Current Training Equipment Available: Fitness ball, two 20 LB dumbbells, two yoga mats, Wii Fit U with Balance Board

Comments:
With those numbers, I don't think I'm fat by any means - however, unfortunately, all the fat I do have seems to be in my stomach. My main goal is to get six-pack abs. Anything else is just an added benefit. I'd also like to strengthen my legs but I think I know how to do that already (walk more, do squats).

I used to weigh 200 lbs 5 years ago and lost it simply by walking and eating less (also, an enormous amount of mental stress which I do not recommend). I then weighed 145 lbs in under a year (I even have stretch marks from quickly losing weight).

I know they say abs are made in the kitchen, but is that still true when you're already pretty skinny? It's just my damn stomach that has fat (and there's some under my arms). I don't think it's possible to "target" where you lose weight. And I don't want to weigh any less than I do now. My diet isn't horrible, mainly chicken and rice. I've started eating vegetables quite often and fruit. I have vegan protein powder because I'm lactose intolerant. I used to eat steaks every single day 3 months ago but stopped when I went to Japan (I ate healthy food there). I don't eat chocolate, caffeine, or sugary sweets, I don't drink alcohol or smoke, and all I drink is Almond Milk, Gatorade and water.

Currently all I'm doing for abs are jack knives (which I learned through Wii Fit U). I do about 20 in the afternoon and 10 at night. I do 50 squats in the afternoon and 50 at night. I also occasionally do push-ups but not much. I only walk like 20 mins a day.

Basically I'm asking what is the fastest way for me to get six-pack abs based on this information. Thank you for your help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AjdUpUpWXc

He goes into a lot more detail than i can.

Szu

Well, another great squat session.

After warmups, I jumped to 315 immediately after 275. I ended up getting 2 unassisted sets of 3.

I was so excited that I called up Woo Hoo.

He's my cousin.

Comments:

Just gotta grow your ab muscles. Muscles grow through progressive overload so you have to regularly increase the number of reps or amount of weight. Weighted ab exercises will give you the big thick cut abs. Something like weighted crunches where you hold weights behind your head and really target the abs. If you can do them on a bosu ball that will also help so you can increase the range of motion. Russian twists and planks are also good for obliques and general core strength.

Most people would end up with abs without doing a single ab exercise (assuming they were doing weights generally). Muscle isn't the problem, fat is.

mdsfx

Most people would end up with abs without doing a single ab exercise (assuming they were doing weights generally). Muscle isn't the problem, fat is.
I agree. You can do crunches untill the end of time but you're not going to see much unless you lose the belly fat. I just depend on some of my compounds and swimming to work my core. Can't remember the last time I did a situp/crunch.

Canon

Banned
Well, I don't want to lose weight. Actually I want to gain weight. If I gain muscle by lifting weights (and bulking up?) will I lose the belly fat while weighing more than before, and then my abs will show?

Very, very unlikely. Without chemical assistance anyway.

What you'll have to do in the mean time is accept more fat, and then take it off later when you're happy with your muscle. Or look into more complicated things like nutrient timing / recomp diets etc. But they're not really for novices.

Edit - That said, if you've never lifted before, you could very well see some muscle gain and fat loss simultaneously in the short term. But it doesn't last tong unless your diet is on point.

KillerBEA

Well, I don't want to lose weight. Actually I want to gain weight. If I gain muscle by lifting weights (and bulking up?) will I lose the belly fat while weighing more than before, and then my abs will show?
You wont nessecarily lose belly fat but the more you develop a muscle the more it will show thru. A little Oblique and Ab work is helpful in aesthetics and performance. Crunches are worthless for most people, that said personally I am a fan of ab pushouts and side bends. Doing these will build up those muscles and start to add 'definition' to the mid section.

Ab pushouts are an effective hypertrophy exercise and it good for learning good bracing patterns for all major lifts.

I like side bends since I have seen and felt the best results from them but Polof Presses and Woodcutters are other effective Oblique exercises.

Ab pushouts are an effective hypertrophy exercise and it good for learning good bracing patterns for all major lifts.

You got a link to a description / vid of that one? Sounds interesting.

Woodcutters are a good all round upper body exercise I've found. Will get your heart rate going too if you do a solid amount of reps. I do mine with a landmine attachment on my rack, though you can do it with bands too.

Canon

Banned
You wont nessecarily lose belly fat but the more you develop a muscle the more it will show thru. A little Oblique and Ab work is helpful in aesthetics and performance. Crunches are worthless for most people, that said personally I am a fan of ab pushouts and side bends. Doing these will build up those muscles and start to add 'definition' to the mid section.

I like side bends since I have seen and felt the best results from them but Polof Presses and Woodcutters are other effective Oblique exercises.
I searched for ab pushouts but there seems to be quite a few variations. Which one do you do?

velociraptor

Really, really hate deadlifting when it's hot. I have zero grip. My hands become extremely sweaty. Annoyed because airline security threw my liquid chalk in the bin (was in my rucksuck) :'(

KillerBEA

You got a link to a description / vid of that one? Sounds interesting.

Woodcutters are a good all round upper body exercise I've found. Will get your heart rate going too if you do a solid amount of reps. I do mine with a landmine attachment on my rack, though you can do it with bands too.

I searched for ab pushouts but there seems to be quite a few variations. Which one do you do?

https://youtu.be/msAyOuL-R0I?t=1537

Really, really hate deadlifting when it's hot. I have zero grip. My hands become extremely sweaty. Annoyed because airline security threw my liquid chalk in the bin (was in my rucksuck) :'(
Straps <3

I just started doing forearm workouts on arm day, man it burns. All i do is grab a Barbell and roll it with my hands and 20 seconds later my forearms are on fire.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I just started doing forearm workouts on arm day, man it burns. All i do is grab a Barbell and roll it with my hands and 20 seconds later my forearms are on fire.

I love a good forearm workout at the end of back/arm day. I've heard from a lot of people that forearm workouts aren't necessary but I've found they help with bench press and overall arm stability when lifting.

IMO if you have long arms like I do, forearm exercises are absolutely necessary, and really help out with most upper body workouts.

Canon

Banned
So is eating 2 dozen eggs a day really okay? I need a ton more protein but I don't see any easy way to get it; I don't like cooking.

What exactly are you planning on doing with the eggs... assuming you're not actually going to cook them? Because if you're spending time making omelettes etc, you might as well be cooking other food.

Jokab

After three weeks of rest I still have pains in my left iliopsoas, or around that region. I feel it when I squat bodyweight to parallell, but not really before. When I use weight I feel it earlier.

I'm not even sure the iliopsoas is the problem -- doing this stretch below doesn't activate the pain:

It seems to me that if I stretch the muscle that gives me pain, it would at least give me a little pain during the stretch. So maybe it's something else? I don't know actually... Never had this pain before I started squating in a gym with heavy weights.

Any ideas? What do I do? I'm resorting to leg extension machine and deadlifts for leg workouts atm

Top Bottom