• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

kevin1025
Banned
(09-21-2017, 03:22 AM)

Originally Posted by Ridley327

Well, if we're going to make recommendations for recent stuff, I will put my hat in the ring for The Blackcoat's Daughter. It's been three months since I saw it, and it still rattles in my head quite often. It has a potent mix of dripping atmosphere, an involving story, great central characters and a genuinely stunning ending that left me speechless. It's a much quieter film that most, but when it ratchets up the terror and the horror, it is quite unnerving to watch unfold.

Oh right, I forgot about this one! Thanks for the reminder, definitely adding it to the list!
mariachi507
Member
(09-21-2017, 03:37 AM)
mariachi507's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThirstyFly

Man, I skipped the F13 BD set becuse of the lack of uncut Jason Goes to Hell and the ugly blue color balance for #6 (my fave) but I'm kicking myself now :(

I want it so bad. I just have that old DVD set with 2 movies per disc.

Me too man, I almost got lucky last year when it showed up on Bestbuy.com, but it wasn't meant to be I guess.

I mean, what kind of world do we live in where I can't walk into a store and buy Friday the 13th in HD?

Like you said though, it deserved a better set for sure. Especially when compared to one like the Halloween collection or even Phantasm.
JigglesBunny
Banned
(09-21-2017, 03:49 AM)
I have Event Horizon, Poughkeepsie Tapes and Begotten on the docket this year, still hashing out the rest of my picks.

Canít wait to get started!
Plasticine
Member
(09-21-2017, 03:51 AM)
Plasticine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mortimer Brewster

If you like over the top, gory deaths you are in for a treat. Just a warning though the plot, script and general direction are really bad even by slasher standards but the kills more then make up for it.

With slashers, as long as there's plenty of slasher elements (kills, cool killer, nudity, etc) I'm inclined to overlook the lack of niceties such as a good script, coherent plot or decent acting.

Originally Posted by halfbeast

also, is Scarecrow the 80s movie of an autistic dude being accused of hurting a child and then killed dressed as a scarecrow? or is it something entirely different?

It's another 80s movie. This one is about a band of bank robbers stalked by a killer scarecrow.
rand0mZer0
Banned
(09-21-2017, 03:52 AM)
I have a huge backlog of horror films that I've been putting on the back burner to participate this year.

I am so ready.
mariachi507
Member
(09-21-2017, 04:05 AM)
mariachi507's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ridley327

Well, if we're going to make recommendations for recent stuff, I will put my hat in the ring for The Blackcoat's Daughter. It's been three months since I saw it, and it still rattles in my head quite often. It has a potent mix of dripping atmosphere, an involving story, great central characters and a genuinely stunning ending that left me speechless. It's a much quieter film that most, but when it ratchets up the terror and the horror, it is quite unnerving to watch unfold.

That's the second time I've seen this recommended in the past week or so. I'll try to find a place for it as it sounds right up my alley.
More_Badass
Member
(09-21-2017, 04:14 AM)
More_Badass's Avatar
Think I'll participate for the first time this year

Edit: think I'm going to watch in release year order, should be interesting to see the films evolve over time
* denotes rewatch
  1. Nosferatu (1922)
  2. Vampyr (1932)
  3. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
  4. Suspiria (1977) *
  5. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
  6. Halloween (1978) *
  7. The Fog (1980)
  8. The Shining (1980) *
  9. Possession (1981)
  10. The Fly (1986) *
  11. The Blob (1988)
  12. Jacob's Ladder (1990)
  13. Misery (1990)
  14. In The Mouth of Madness (1994)
  15. The Devil’s Backbone (2001)
  16. Gozu (2003)
  17. The Hills Have Eyes (2006) *
  18. Inside (2007)
  19. Matyrs (2008)
  20. Lake Mungo (2008)
  21. Antichrist (2009)
  22. Macabre (2009)
  23. Kill List (2011)
  24. Sleep Tight (2011)
  25. You’re Next (2011) *
  26. Here Comes the Devil (2012)
  27. Under The Skin (2013)
  28. Late Phases (2014)
  29. The Babadook (2014)
  30. Crimson Peak (2015)
  31. The Witch (2015) *
  32. Raw (2016)
  33. The Wailing (2016) *
Fancy Clown
Member
(09-21-2017, 04:15 AM)
I second Blackcoat's Daughter. It's legit scurry.
More_Badass
Member
(09-21-2017, 04:18 AM)
More_Badass's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fancy Clown

I second Blackcoat's Daughter. It's legit scurry.

Unfortunately I didn't really enjoy it as much as I hoped

My under-the-radar recommendation would be The Eyes of My Mother. It's the horror movie that's haunted me most since The Witch. Lovely black and white cinematography, a dark disturbing tale, and some quite unsettling imagery despite not actually being that gory
Ridley327
Member
(09-21-2017, 04:18 AM)
Ridley327's Avatar
I should also mention that if anyone is in a city where Suspiria is going to be playing at in October, I implore to you go see it. It'd be one thing to recommend it on the back of its restoration alone (and wow, what a restoration it got, both for the film itself and the audio), but just in general, that is a film that needs, needs, NEEDS to be seen on as big a screen as possible. I saw it just a couple of weeks ago and the effect was so strong that it was like I never saw it before.
Steamlord
Member
(09-21-2017, 04:22 AM)
Steamlord's Avatar

Originally Posted by More_Badass

Think I'll participate for the first time this year

New watches:
Antichrist
Crimson Peak
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Gozu
Here Comes the Devil
In The Mouth of Madness
Inside
Jacob's Ladder
Kill List
Lake Mungo
Late Phases
Macabre
Matyrs
Misery
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Nosferatu
Possession
Raw
Sleep Tight
The Babadook
The Blob (1988)
The Devilís Backbone
The Fog (1980)
Under The Skin
Vampyr

Rewatches:
Halloween (1978)
Suspiria
The Fly (1986)
The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
The Shining
The Wailing
The Witch
Youíre Next

That is a good list.
ThirstyFly
Member
(09-21-2017, 04:22 AM)
ThirstyFly's Avatar
Okay, here's my rough list. Everything I either already have, or should have easy access to during October. It's way over 31 films, but the method to my madness is I list everything I'd like to get though in the month and pick whatever I'm in the mood for as I go. That way if a movie pops up in someone's review that sounds good to me I can slide it in no problem. Anything left over will be watched out of season or moved over to next year.

There's no overall theme, but a few movies I'd like to watch together such as Blood Feast/Blood Diner and Jess Franco's Count Dracula/Dario Argento's Dracula 3D. I would like to add more zombie, slasher and recent movies, so I'll be on the lookout for recommendations. I also need to decide on a Tobe Hooper movie. I've seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1&2 and Poltergeist so I'm not left with much. I'll probably either go with Eaten Alive or Toolbox Murders.


31 Days of Horror 7 (2017) – Rough List

The Haunting (Series I Watch Yearly During the Marathon)
* Phantasm IV: Oblivion (1998)
* Phantasm: Ravager (2016)
* The Kiss of the Vampire (1963) [Hammer]
* Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966) [Hammer]
* The Wolf Man (1941) [Universal Monsters]
- Phantom of the Opera (1943) [Universal Monsters]

It Came from Italy (Italian Horror)
* Hatchet for the Honeymoon (1970) [Bava] (giallo)
* Four Flies on Grey Velvet (1971) [Argento] (giallo)
- Giallo (2009) [Argento] (giallo)
- Dracula 3D (2012) [Argento]
- The Black Cat (1981) [Fulci] (animal attack)
- Aenigma (1987) [Fulci]
- Touch of Death (1988) [Fulci]
* A Cat in the Brain (1990) [Fulci]
* Death Smiles on a Murderer (1973) [D’Amato]
- Seven Deaths in the Cat’s Eye (1973) [Margheriti] (giallo)
- Cannibal Apocalypse (1980) [Margheriti] (cannibal, video nasty)
- Alien from the Deep (1989) [Margheriti] (alien)
- The Doll of Satan (1969) [Casapinta] (giallo)
- Sex of the Witch (1973) [PannacciÚ] (giallo)
- Contamination (1980) [Cozzi] (alien)

From Beyond (Foreign)
- Eyes Without a Face (1960)
- Count Dracula (1970) [Franco]
- Red Nights (2010) (neo giallo)
- I Am a Hero (2015) (zombie)

Spare Parts (Everything Else)
- Village of the Damned (1960) (sci-fi)
* Blood Feast (1963) (video nasty)
- Rosemary’s Baby (1968)
- Don’t Look Now (1973)
- The Sentinel (1977)
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) (sci-fi)
- Possession (1981)
- The Entity (1982)
- Raw Force (1982) (b-movie cheese)
- The Mutilator (1984) (slasher)
- Special Effects (1984)
- Sorority House Massacre (1986) (slasher)
* Blood Diner (1987) (comedy)
- The Stepfather (1987)
- The Lair of the White Worm (1988)
- The Unholy (1988)
- Innocent Blood (1992) (comedy)
- Patchwork (2015) (comedy)
* The Blackcoat’s Daughter (2015)
- The Greasy Strangler (2016) (comedy)
- The Love Witch (2016) (comedy)
- The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)
- Raw (2016)

Still Buried (Movies Awaiting Release, or I Need to Get)
* The Crazies (1973) [Romero] – Have the upcoming BD set on order
- Martin (1978) [Romero] – Just in case I don’t get the Crazies in time
* ??? (????) [Hooper] – Haven’t decided on a movie yet
* Cult of Chucky (2017) – Have the upcoming BD set on order
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) – Need to get
- Spider Baby or, The Maddest Story Ever Told (1967) – Need to get
- The House That Screamed (1970) – Need to get

* Denotes a high priority/guaranteed viewing.
Ridley327
Member
(09-21-2017, 04:33 AM)
Ridley327's Avatar
The Greasy Strangler is definitely much more of an absurdist anti-comedy in the same vein as Tim & Eric, but you may yet be terrified at all the fake penises the film throws at you from beginning to end. You may also catch yourself shouting "bullshit artist" from time to time, too.
kevin1025
Banned
(09-21-2017, 04:36 AM)
Since I only started my love of horror relatively recently, all of these lists are showing a ton of my blind spots. I need to get on some of these Italian horror movies, it seems like!
ThirstyFly
Member
(09-21-2017, 04:42 AM)
ThirstyFly's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ridley327

The Greasy Strangler is definitely much more of an absurdist anti-comedy in the same vein as Tim & Eric, but you may yet be terrified at all the fake penises the film throws at you from beginning to end. You may also catch yourself shouting "bullshit artist" from time to time, too.

Heh. I don't watch Tim & Eric so I don't have a frame of reference for that, but I love the Greasy Strangler trailer so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Originally Posted by kevin1025

Since I only started my love of horror relatively recently, all of these lists are showing a ton of my blind spots. I need to get on some of these Italian horror movies, it seems like!

Oh man, Italian horror is a world of its own. First you have amazing, genre defining stuff like the work of Bava, but then you have all the knockoff schlock from the 80s. It's one crazy rabbit hole.
Violence Jack
Member
(09-21-2017, 04:58 AM)
Violence Jack's Avatar

Originally Posted by kevin1025

Since I only started my love of horror relatively recently, all of these lists are showing a ton of my blind spots. I need to get on some of these Italian horror movies, it seems like!

Three names, some recommended movies for each:

Mario Bava:
- Blood and Black Lace
- Black Sabbath
- Bay of Blood
- Black Sunday

Dario Argento:
- Suspiria
- Tenebre
- Deep Red
- Four Flies on Grey Velvet
- Phenomena

Lucio Fulci:
- The Beyond
- City of the Living Dead
- New York Ripper
- Don't Torture A Duckling
- House by the Cemetary
- Zombi

Start with those, thank us later.
kevin1025
Banned
(09-21-2017, 05:31 AM)

Originally Posted by ThirstyFly

Oh man, Italian horror is a world of its own. First you have amazing, genre defining stuff like the work of Bava, but then you have all the knockoff schlock from the 80s. It's one crazy rabbit hole.

Originally Posted by Violence Jack

Three names, some recommended movies for each:

Mario Bava:
- Blood and Black Lace
- Black Sabbath
- Bay of Blood
- Black Sunday

Dario Argento:
- Suspiria
- Tenebre
- Deep Red
- Four Flies on Grey Velvet
- Phenomena

Lucio Fulci:
- The Beyond
- City of the Living Dead
- New York Ripper
- Don't Torture A Duckling
- House by the Cemetary
- Zombi

Start with those, thank us later.

Thank you both! I'm definitely adding these to my ever-growing monster list. I have Suspiria already, I'm sure I can track some of these down in time for October!
Cptkrush
Member
(09-21-2017, 05:44 AM)
Cptkrush's Avatar
My girlfriend and I have about 40 on the list this year as we started already and will probably bleed into November with how crazy our schedules are.

We're doing something a little more fun this year, I printed out the list, cut the movies into strips, and put them into a trick or treat basket for us to draw each night. This year also has a ton of stuff that's been on my radar for a bit, and a lot that I've never heard of. I've marked off the ones we've drawn so far with an asterisk and rated them out of 5

1. Salemís Lot
2. Zombieland
3. Dawn of the Dead 1978 * 5/5 way better than I remember
4. Dawn of the Dead 2004
5. John Carpenter's Vampires
6. Bram Stokerís Dracula
7. Close Encounters of the Third Kind * 5/5 perfect movie, not scary but pretty unsettling
8. They Live
9. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978
10. Rosemaryís Baby
11. The Omen * 3.5/5
12. Little Evil
13. Return of the Living Dead
14. Train to Busan
15. The Thing
16. Prince of Darkness
17. In the Mouth of Madness
18. The Mist
19. The Fog * 3.5/5 too slasher for what it was trying to be
20. It 2017 * 4/5
21. The Descent
22. It Comes at Night
23. Let The Right One In
24. A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
25. Youíre Next
26. 28 Days Later
27. Martin
28. Jeepers Creepers
29. The Devilís Rejects
30. V/H/S
31. V/H/S 2
32. Dog Soldiers
33. Ginger Snaps * 2.5/5 but I kinda loved it
34. Candyman
35. Fire in the Sky
36. Event Horizon
37. Nosferatu Werner Herzog Version
38. Interview with the Vampire
39. Shadow of the Vampire * 4/5
40. Green Room * 5/5 the first one to legit spook me
Hex
Banned
(09-21-2017, 05:58 AM)
Hex's Avatar
My list:
(I just did a Friday the 13th marathon and Argento which is why those are not represented)
  • Sleepy Hollow
  • Salem's Lot
  • Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
  • City of the Living Dead
  • The Beyond
  • The House by the Cemetary
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula
  • Child's Play
  • Child's Play 2
  • Child's Play 3
  • Curse of Chucky
  • Cult of Chucky
  • Hatchet
  • Hatchet 2
  • Hatchet 3
  • Demons
  • Demons 2
  • Evil Dead 2
  • The Legend of Hell House
  • Nosferatu (1922)
  • The Witch
  • The Haunted Palace
  • The Howling
  • Nightmare on Elm Street
  • Hellraiser
  • Castlefreak
  • The Fog
  • In the Mouth of Madness
  • Lost Boys
  • Trick R Treat
  • Halloween Marathon

I also always watch Disney's Adventures of Ichabod and Disney's Halloween Treat from way back.
I also always watch a version of Sleepy Hollow from 1980 that has Jeff Goldblum as Ichabod.
ThirstyFly
Member
(09-21-2017, 06:15 AM)
ThirstyFly's Avatar

Originally Posted by kevin1025

Thank you both! I'm definitely adding these to my ever-growing monster list. I have Suspiria already, I'm sure I can track some of these down in time for October!

Definitely start with Violence Jack's excellent list there. It looks like he got the best stuff from the big three main Italian names. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those titles.

I'm sure that'll keep you busy for the month (and then some), but let us know if you'd like some suggestions from less prolific directors as well. I always recommend Michele Soavi as well. Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetery Man) and Deliria (aka StageFright) are must sees.
Violence Jack
Member
(09-21-2017, 06:18 AM)
Violence Jack's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThirstyFly

Definitely start with Violence Jack's excellent list there. It looks like he got the best stuff from the big three main Italian names. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those titles.

I'm sure that'll keep you busy for the month (and then some), but let us know if you'd like some suggestions from less prolific directors as well. I always recommend Michele Soavi as well. Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetery Man) and Deliria (aka StageFright) are must sees.

And Demons. Both Demons movies.
Aizo
音楽オタク
(09-21-2017, 06:18 AM)
Aizo's Avatar
I need help cleaning up my list. My favorite Horror films are Rosemary's Baby, Audition, and Suspiria. What should I cut or add?

Day of the Dead 1985
(Spanish) Dracula 1931
Frankenstein 1931
The Wolf Man 1941
The Invisible Man 1933
Creature from the Black Lagoon 1954
Cemetery Man 1994
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978
Night of the Creeps 1986
The Monster Squad 1987
Nadja 1994
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night 2014
The Sinners of Hell 1960
Deep Red 1975
Amer 2009
Excision 2012
Re-Animator 1985
Phantasm 1979
Eraserhead 1977
In the Mouth of Madness 1994
Vampyr 1932
Eyes Without a Face 1960
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 1970
Oshikiri 2000
Long Dream 2000
Videodrome 1983
The Fly 1986
Black Christmas 1974
I Am a Hero 2015
They Live 1988
The Crazies 1973
Possession 1981
Steamlord
Member
(09-21-2017, 06:20 AM)
Steamlord's Avatar
Lisa and the Devil is also a low-key masterpiece though.

But then I'd also want to throw in Kill Baby Kill. Bava is just too good.
Violence Jack
Member
(09-21-2017, 06:24 AM)
Violence Jack's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aizo

I need help cleaning up my list. My favorite Horror films are Rosemary's Baby, Audition, and Suspiria. What should I cut or add?

Day of the Dead 1985
(Spanish) Dracula 1931
Frankenstein 1931
The Wolf Man 1941
The Invisible Man 1933
Creature from the Black Lagoon 1954
Cemetery Man 1994
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978
Night of the Creeps 1986
The Monster Squad 1987
Nadja 1994
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night 2014
The Sinners of Hell 1960
Deep Red 1975
Amer 2009
Excision 2012
Re-Animator 1985
Phantasm 1979
Eraserhead 1977
In the Mouth of Madness 1994
Vampyr 1932
Eyes Without a Face 1960
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 1970
Oshikiri 2000
Long Dream 2000
Videodrome 1983
The Fly 1986
Black Christmas 1974
I Am a Hero 2015
They Live 1988
The Crazies 1973
Possession 1981

Have you seen Repulsion yet? If not, try adding that. Maybe Jacob's Ladder The Wicker Man (1973), and Session 9 based on your current solid list.
ThirstyFly
Member
(09-21-2017, 06:35 AM)
ThirstyFly's Avatar

Originally Posted by Steamlord

Lisa and the Devil is also a low-key masterpiece though.

But then I'd also want to throw in Kill Baby Kill. Bava is just too good.

You may as well just link to Bava's imdb page and say "start from the bottom".
mariachi507
Member
(09-21-2017, 06:37 AM)
mariachi507's Avatar


The films showing in the pic are the ones I am definitely watching with the exceptions being the House sequels and Waxwork 2. Missing from the pic are Cult of Chucky and The Old Dark House (Lots of House movies this year) which are getting released next month.

As for the rest of the list I'm going to go off of feeling instead of locking them in. That's how I usually do it every year anyway. I've got a good feeling that the majority of these movies will be made up of newer releases like Raw and Under the Shadow though.

Edit: sorry if the pic is too big, I can't tell on mobile.
ThirstyFly
Member
(09-21-2017, 06:41 AM)
ThirstyFly's Avatar
What the hell, there's a House set with all 4 movies? The one I got only has the first 2.

I know 3 is actually an unrelated film and 4 is crap, but I'd rather have a complete set.
mariachi507
Member
(09-21-2017, 06:49 AM)
mariachi507's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThirstyFly

What the hell, there's a House set with all 4 movies? The one I got only has the first 2.

I know 3 is actually an unrelated film and 4 is crap, but I'd rather have a complete set.

The UK release had them all while the US got stuck with only two.

Also, Lifeforce may be worth looking into to fill your Tone Hooper slot if you haven't seen it. It's not up in quality with his best but it's worth a watch.
Melchiah
Member
(09-21-2017, 06:51 AM)
Melchiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by More_Badass

My under-the-radar recommendation would be The Eyes of My Mother. It's the horror movie that's haunted me most since The Witch. Lovely black and white cinematography, a dark disturbing tale, and some quite unsettling imagery despite not actually being that gory

Agreed. It's the best horror movie I've seen this year, and the most memorable and disturbing one I've seen in quite a while.
ThirstyFly
Member
(09-21-2017, 06:56 AM)
ThirstyFly's Avatar

Originally Posted by mariachi507

The UK release had them all while the US got stuck with only two.

Also, Lifeforce may be worth looking into to fill your Tone Hooper slot if you haven't seen it. It's not up in quality with his best but it's worth a watch.

Ah, figures. We're finally getting Arrow releases but licensing still screws us over. Oh well. Lesser Arrow is still better than no Arrow.

I forgot about Lifeforce. I have seen it, but I haven't watched my BluRay copy yet, maybe I'll do that as a bonus viewing if I have time.
Cabal
Member
(09-21-2017, 07:16 AM)
Cabal's Avatar

Originally Posted by mariachi507

Me too man, I almost got lucky last year when it showed up on Bestbuy.com, but it wasn't meant to be I guess.

I mean, what kind of world do we live in where I can't walk into a store and buy Friday the 13th in HD?

Like you said though, it deserved a better set for sure. Especially when compared to one like the Halloween collection or even Phantasm.

If you are ok with streaming and in the US(not sure if you about other countries), they are all available in HD on Vudu and all qualify for mobile disc to digital. Its a pretty easy cost effective way to get the set, especially if you werenít looking to drop 100+ dollars because already own it in another format.

Also, can anyone recommend something cosmic horror/ H.P. Lovecraft inspired? Iíve seen all of the Re-Animator films, From Beyond, Dagon, and The Void. Anything else along the same lines worth watching out there?
Melchiah
Member
(09-21-2017, 08:24 AM)
Melchiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Violence Jack

And Demons. Both Demons movies.

Seconded. The first is a must watch. It's a thrilling and entertaining ride with gruesome transformation scenes, that really make me miss the practical effects of those days. It's been a long while since I saw The Church, which is part of the DŤmoni series, but I recall it wasn't that good.
More_Badass
Member
(09-21-2017, 08:27 AM)
More_Badass's Avatar
People been saying that Possession is a similar kind of slow build-sudden ramp up to insanity as mother!, except done much better, so I'm really excited to get to that during October
Hex
Banned
(09-21-2017, 08:44 AM)
Hex's Avatar

Originally Posted by More_Badass

People been saying that Possession is a similar kind of slow build-sudden ramp up to insanity as mother!, except done much better, so I'm really excited to get to that during October

The 1981 movie?
sp3ctr3
Member
(09-21-2017, 09:01 AM)
sp3ctr3's Avatar
Subscribed!

I think I will join in this year. I'm a big horror movie fan and have a small local movie club called B-Movie Marathoners. We will have a horror marathon sometime in october and besides that I have a list of horror movies on my Netflix queue I want to watch.

Will I make 31 movies? I don't know but I will try.

Marathon movies planned:
[REC]2
Serial Mom
Bloodsucking Bastards
Train to Busan
+2 undecided

Netflix queue:
The Conjuring 2
It Follows
Knock Knock
Hush
Lights Out
Death Note
Cabin in the Woods (re-watch)
Sinister 2
Ouji (2011)

First time watch:
The Witch

I also watch my favorite movie of all time every year, The 'Burbs. Does that count? I'd call it a horror comedy :D

sneaky edit to make the 31 movies:

Re-watch list:
Halloween
Halloween 2
Jason Lives! Friday the 13th part vi
The Thing (1982)
Invasion of the bodysnatchers (1978)
Zombieland
The 'Burbs
Nightmare before Christmas (with my daughter)
They Live!
Trick'r Treat (2007)
Day of the Dead (2008)
Poltergeist (1985)
The Monster Squad
Shaun of the Dead

I haven't seen The Crazies from 1973. Only the one with Timothy Olyphant. How do they compare??
Wanderer5
Member
(09-21-2017, 09:36 AM)
Wanderer5's Avatar
Oh hey a few mentions of Nosferatu. I noticed it on amazon prime, so I threw it on my list.

Speaking of which, my list currently

Watched-

1. Night of the Living Dead
2. Nosferatu
3. Christine
4. Phantasm
5. The Devil's Backbone
6. Sadako vs. Kayako
7. The Innocents
8. The Babysitter
9. The Thing
10. Ghostbusters

To Watch-

An American Werewolf in London
Halloween (Re-watch)
The Wailing
Train to Busan
Nosferatu, The Vampyre
It Follows

Might get around to-

The Babadook
Prince of Darkness
In the Mouth of Madness

Shall see how this goes and adding more to it, like maybe least a Asian horror or two.
TheSkullPrince
Member
(09-21-2017, 09:36 AM)
TheSkullPrince's Avatar
Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday, so count me in! Although I doubt I can do all 31 movies, I'll give it a go anyways.

My preliminary list:

-An American Werewolf in London
-Friday the 13th (1980)
-Vampire Cop
-The Last Vampire on Earth (thanks Red Letter Media!)
-The Monster Squad
-Scouts Guide to the Apocalypse
-Last Shift
-Wes Craven's New Nightmare
-Curse of Chucky
-V/H/S
-The Wailing
mariachi507
Member
(09-21-2017, 12:09 PM)
mariachi507's Avatar

Originally Posted by More_Badass

People been saying that Possession is a similar kind of slow build-sudden ramp up to insanity as mother!, except done much better, so I'm really excited to get to that during October

It was my top new watch last year which was full of great movies. It almost stopped my marathon dead in its tracks because my brain couldn't quit thinking about it. I haven't seen mother but I know it's divisive and I could see Possession having a similar response nowadays. And yes, it's insane and amazing. Isabelle Adjani is incredibly captivating in it.
Aizo
音楽オタク
(09-21-2017, 12:13 PM)
Aizo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Violence Jack

Have you seen Repulsion yet? If not, try adding that. Maybe Jacob's Ladder The Wicker Man (1973), and Session 9 based on your current solid list.

I've seen the first two. I'll look at the second two.

I still need to remove stuff from my list. What should I drop?
lordxar
Member
(09-21-2017, 12:34 PM)
lordxar's Avatar

Originally Posted by More_Badass

People been saying that Possession is a similar kind of slow build-sudden ramp up to insanity as mother!, except done much better, so I'm really excited to get to that during October

Possession is like two different movies. I waited and waited but it was just a normal drama...until it went off the rails and went off hard. Highly recommended.
Mortimer Brewster
Member
(09-21-2017, 01:15 PM)
Mortimer Brewster's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThirstyFly

Ah, figures. We're finally getting Arrow releases but licensing still screws us over. Oh well. Lesser Arrow is still better than no Arrow.

I forgot about Lifeforce. I have seen it, but I haven't watched my BluRay copy yet, maybe I'll do that as a bonus viewing if I have time.


Lifeforce is a total incoherent mess that shifts genres like a person changes their socks. But it's a beautiful glorious mess with lots of charm despite its myriad of issues,
Melchiah
Member
(09-21-2017, 01:16 PM)
Melchiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by lordxar

Possession is like two different movies. I waited and waited but it was just a normal drama...until it went off the rails and went off hard. Highly recommended.

I really need to watch that at some point. The same goes for the cult classic Sentinel (1977), which is available on Netflix.
Fancy Clown
Member
(09-21-2017, 01:27 PM)
People adding Nosferatu to their lists shouldn't sleep on Herzog's 79 remake either. I honestly think it tops the original.
gamz
Member
(09-21-2017, 01:43 PM)
gamz's Avatar
Hmm....

Haven't seen Blackcoats Daughter or Raw. I gotta fix that.
Penguin
(09-21-2017, 04:12 PM)
Penguin's Avatar
I know not doing mandatory viewings, but I do think it would be cool if we tried to do Cult of Chucky on opening weekend.

It's a sequel to a big-ish horror brand that will be on home release/streaming during the month.
zeemumu
Member
(09-21-2017, 04:14 PM)
zeemumu's Avatar
I'll start with Dead Silence since it's my personal favorite
BattleMonkey
Member
(09-21-2017, 04:16 PM)
BattleMonkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by mariachi507

Unfortunately it's hard to get ahold of the blurays since the set is out of print. If you're ok with DVD's then you shouldn't have a problem. I saw a collection on sale in the Halloween section at Walmart this year.

I have no idea why we still don't have a F13th set available. It's been OOP for almost 2 years now?
Violence Jack
Member
(09-21-2017, 08:01 PM)
Violence Jack's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aizo

I've seen the first two. I'll look at the second two.

I still need to remove stuff from my list. What should I drop?

I haven't seen a lot of the newer movies from your list, and I heard mixed reviews about A Girl Walks At Night, so I don't really know what to suggest you to drop. It's a pretty solid list from the movies you do have that I've seen.

Originally Posted by BattleMonkey

I have no idea why we still don't have a F13th set available. It's been OOP for almost 2 years now?

I keep holding out hope that they will be releasing the films with all the cut footage spliced back in. But I know that's a pipe dream.
kevin1025
Banned
(09-21-2017, 08:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Penguin

I know not doing mandatory viewings, but I do think it would be cool if we tried to do Cult of Chucky on opening weekend.

It's a sequel to a big-ish horror brand that will be on home release/streaming during the month.

Would it be two weeks from now when it hits DVD/Blu-ray and Netflix? I keep seeing it's possibly hitting theatres on October 20th, as well.

I'm up for it!
RumbleHumble
Banned
(09-21-2017, 08:10 PM)
In, but sticking to my streaming options this year, meaning lots of rewatches of old favorites. I'm writing horror screenplays (two full first drafts of separate stories are completed; now it's just re-writing on re-writing) so it'll be good to go back to the old stuff and re-examine what works and what doesn't. We're closing on a house on October 27, so money's tight too.

EDIT:
Especially looking forward to knocking out "A Dark Song" and "Under the Shadow". Eyes of My Mother is available on Netflix streaming and is also memorizing.

Thread Tools