• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how is vaping supposed to help you cut back on smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeyden

Been almost 2 years since I was smoker and would never go back. I have noticed massive improvements in my health and the way I feel daily. I don't smell like a fucking ashtray anymore and even save more money by vaping. My personal experience is that vaping is considerably better for you than smoking.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's bullshit though. No tar, 0.05 % nicotine (in most brands), and you don't even burn the flavour/shisha. You bake it. There's a lot of misinformation out there on the internet concerning shisha. Been having shisha for the longest time, and all my tests are fine.

'Your tests are fine'? You can screen for lung cancer now? Impressive, tell me more.

Shisha in general is still incredibly harmful for your lungs. Do some actual research.

i'm actually still smoking cigs, just not as many

is vaping that much better for you that it's greatly preferable over smoking cigs even if it results in you vaping all day every day?

for a comparison, i was smoking about half a pack a day. now i vape all day.

depends on the kinda juice you're using, obv. Also not a matter of being much better, but of being less shit. At a minimum, you should at least be ditching tar and whatever's in the paper smoke in regular cigs. Can see how your nicotine consumption is going by comparing how much is in the juice you're using, then calc if its up or down.

tokkun

Do people really not understand that nicotine is a highly addictive stimulant?

That fact doesn't tell you much on its own. Caffeine is a moderately addictive stimulant. Yet most people could drink 6 cups a day for years without doing long-term damage to their bodies.

As far as addictive chemicals go, nicotine - separated from all the carcinogens involved in cigarettes - is pretty low on the harm scale for adults.

Kwixotik

I've been debating about buying a vape. The thing is, I only smoke about a pack a week right now so my actual physical addiction to nicotine is minimal. If I start vaping all the time without being able to control myself by like counting the cigs remaining in my pack for the week, I can see my nicotine consumption going way up.

DBT85

Wife smoked for years started to vape and gradually dropped the nicotine down. By the time she stopped for her pregnancy she was barely touching the vape and it had been 0% for about 6 months.

ViviOggi

Starting off you should start with a higher nic content juice, try 18mg if you are not already. If you are on 18mg try higher 24mg etc... I started on 18mg for a few weeks then to 12 and have been using 6mg for a long while. I tried 3mg but I was like you chain vaping all day and just seemed to be creating clouds and it was not satisfying. I have not touched a smoke in 3 years!
Seconding this, and would also suggest to get tobacco flavor using a low wattage, mouth to lung setup (Nautilus, Kayfun-style, etc.) which imitates the feel of a cigarette pretty well. A decent vape pen could do the job as well nowadays. This was the advice I got from my local store to wean me off all the smoking habits and rituals. That was now a year ago and I still haven't finished my emergency/nights out pack of stinkies that I bought on the same day.

Myriadis

I don't smoke at all, but I vastly prefer smelling vape smoke(vapor?) than cig smoke. It even can smell pretty good.

Jenov

Reminds me of the lady I caught vaping next to me on the plane. She was hiding it in her cleavage and taking little vapes when she thought no one was looking. I was wondering why the plane was smelling so minty.

As others have said just start at a higher nicotine level and gradually bring it down, eventually you'll just prefer the taste so much you'll quit cigs entirely. I was a pack a day + smoker for like 5 years and now I hate cigs. Reducing nicotine gradually and now I'm down to 6 from 18 a year ago.

It's probably not harmless but nicotine isn't carcinogenic by itself and it's probably better than inhaling *any* smoke, weed included.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
You guys vaping now are still after the same drug, you never smoked fags for their tar and shit it was always for the nicotine - if you still vaping using nicotine, well you are still "smoking" ,no?

But i do guess that being able to slowly reduce the nicotine level (without vaping just more often) could help cutting back.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I used vaping to quit cigarettes, and then dropped the nicotine content until it was zero. Then I quit vaping. So yeah it does work, but only if you actually want to quit and are willing to put some effort in.

I miss smoking though, but that's a whole different thing.

Drain You

Depends on how you go about it. I went from cigs to zero nicotine vape. After a while I just kinda stopped vaping cause I was lazy and kept forgetting to charge or get juice.

Chemicals in tobacco cigarette smoke

• Acetaldehyde: suspected carcinogen.
  • Acetone: irritant: can cause kidney and liver damage.
  • Acrolein: extremely toxic.
  • Acrylonitrile: suspected human carcinogen.
  • 1-aminonaphthalene: causes cancer.
  • 2-aminonaphthalene: causes bladder cancer.
  • Ammonia: raises blood pressure.
  • Benzene: carcinogen.
  • Benzo[a]pyrene: mutagenic and highly carcinogenic
  • 1,3-Butadiene: suspected carcinogen.
  • Butyraldehyde: damages the lining of nose and lungs.
  • Cadmium: a heavy metal and highly toxic
  • Carbon Monoxide: decreases heart and muscle function.
  • Catechol: causes respiratory tract irritation and dermatitis.
  • Chromium: heavy metal and carcinogen.
  • Cresol: causes upper respiratory, nasal and throat irritation.
  • Crotonaldehyde: thought to interfere with immune function.
  • Formaldehyde: carcinogen
  • Hydrogen Cyanide: lethal poison
  • Hydroquinone: affects central nervous system effects.
  • Isoprene: irritates skin,eyes and mucous membranes.
  • Lead: causes brain damage
  • Methyl Ethyl Ketone: depresses the central nervous system.
  • Nickel: causes bronchial asthma and is a known carcinogen.
  • Nicotine: increases in heart rate and blood pressure, addictive element
  • Nitric Oxide: linked to Huntington’s, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease and asthma.
  • NNN, NNK, and NAT: known or possible carcinogens
  • Phenol: damages the the liver, kidneys; respiratory, cardiovascular and central nervous system.
  • Polonium - radioactive*
  • Propionaldehyde: skin, eye and respiratory system irritant
  • Pyridine: causes eye and upper respiratory tract irritation
  • Quinoline: causes genetic damage and is a possible carcinogen
  • Resorcinol: skin and eye irritant
  • Styrene: carcinogen
  • Toluene: linked to permanent brain damage.

Glad i quit smoking

Pizza

I'm going to try and cut out cigs this summer and ease into vaping once I have a job and my own place. I was able to quit for a good month but school came in and wrecked me.

I love vapes and once I'm in my own space I plan on buying one or a little hookah

Edit: I love the feeling of a good drag, and some vapes hit your throat in a super nice way. For me, I like the nicotine but I love the "escape from whatever I'm doing for a breath of fresh air" and the social aspect

Yeah but About smoking out of a bowl versus vaping...

Uhh... asking for a friend.

I find that vaping takes a second for the feel to settle in, but the feel I get is pretty great and I feel more clearheaded and less inebriated vs smoking a bowl (if that makes any sense)

Also some vapes don't stink at all and you can roast the same lettuce a couple times before it's cashed. ymmv, of course

It's better than smoking, no question about that. You're still consuming nicotine though.

You can get vaping juice of different nicotine percentage, including 0%. It really helps you analyze what is the addidict part in your personal smoking habit.

To me, the addidict part is the inhaling and exhaling of steam. I never care about the getting the smoke to my hung part that much, which makes me a minority in smokers.

I don't vape now because my wife fucking hid the kit. I still miss vaping from time to time but not smoking.

Blackie

I felt like you at first OP. Was vaping a ton in all these indoor settings where I couldnt have smoked before. Even smoked cigs still for a while. Eventually got fed up with cigs vs vaping and was vape only, then vaping gradually slowed. Backslid a few times but eventually just stopped any smoking/vaping altogether. It was weird because I didnt start vaping to quit smoking, just liked the convenience.

Got really excited about quitting and tried to be a vape evangelist for a while but few other smokers wanted to try vaping. Lots said they hated vaping or it wasn't the same feeling as smoking so whatever, worked for me and that was what mattered most.

ZOONAMI

It doesn't imo. Not nearly as satisfying as that wonderful tast of a rolly or a spirit or a cigar.

Vapes also fuck up my throat more than cigs too for some reason. I think cause yeah of what you say, you're basically hitting it all the time vs just every now and then.

I'd be interested in say like a pack a week of organic tobacco vs vaping high quantities of nicotine juice.

I can quit cold turkey for varying amounts of time, but yeah I end up smoking at some point again even after months of no smokes. I'd like to quit entirely but it's hard to see not having at least an occasional bit of tobacco every now and again.

Clockwork5

You're still inhaling shit into your lungs, so it's pretty much the same imo.
It's not pretty much the same and your opinion is not relevant.

In the couple of decades vaping has been around, no one has died from ripping cotton. While in the same period of time smoking has killed hundreds of thousands.

pa22word

The people saying it is slightly better than cigarettes, what? It's like fractions lower. Most cancer from smoking comes from the combustion, tar, the ridiculous amount of harmful ingredients, and smoke. Vaping doesn't have any of those, so how is it only slightly better?

You guys also inhale more "foreign agents" than you think during the day.
Just wait for the vaping haters to show up. Society has told them it's okay to be shitholes to smokers, and their tiny brains can't handle the difference between the two because they like being able to hate and talk shit about people openly without feeling bad about it. This leads them to coming up with some of the most asinine arguments to justify disliking vapers just so they can continue to be dicks to people without being admonished for it.

ZOONAMI

Chemicals in tobacco cigarette smoke

• Acetaldehyde: suspected carcinogen.
  • Acetone: irritant: can cause kidney and liver damage.
  • Acrolein: extremely toxic.
  • Acrylonitrile: suspected human carcinogen.
  • 1-aminonaphthalene: causes cancer.
  • 2-aminonaphthalene: causes bladder cancer.
  • Ammonia: raises blood pressure.
  • Benzene: carcinogen.
  • Benzo[a]pyrene: mutagenic and highly carcinogenic
  • 1,3-Butadiene: suspected carcinogen.
  • Butyraldehyde: damages the lining of nose and lungs.
  • Cadmium: a heavy metal and highly toxic
  • Carbon Monoxide: decreases heart and muscle function.
  • Catechol: causes respiratory tract irritation and dermatitis.
  • Chromium: heavy metal and carcinogen.
  • Cresol: causes upper respiratory, nasal and throat irritation.
  • Crotonaldehyde: thought to interfere with immune function.
  • Formaldehyde: carcinogen
  • Hydrogen Cyanide: lethal poison
  • Hydroquinone: affects central nervous system effects.
  • Isoprene: irritates skin,eyes and mucous membranes.
  • Lead: causes brain damage
  • Methyl Ethyl Ketone: depresses the central nervous system.
  • Nickel: causes bronchial asthma and is a known carcinogen.
  • Nicotine: increases in heart rate and blood pressure, addictive element
  • Nitric Oxide: linked to Huntington’s, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease and asthma.
  • NNN, NNK, and NAT: known or possible carcinogens
  • Phenol: damages the the liver, kidneys; respiratory, cardiovascular and central nervous system.
  • Polonium - radioactive*
  • Propionaldehyde: skin, eye and respiratory system irritant
  • Pyridine: causes eye and upper respiratory tract irritation
  • Quinoline: causes genetic damage and is a possible carcinogen
  • Resorcinol: skin and eye irritant
  • Styrene: carcinogen
  • Toluene: linked to permanent brain damage.

A lot of these are additives though correct? Not all tobacco has all this shit.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Why can't you guys just link the sources behind your assertions instead of posturing?

That's bullshit though. No tar, 0.05 % nicotine (in most brands), and you don't even burn the flavour/shisha. You bake it. There's a lot of misinformation out there on the internet concerning shisha. Been having shisha for the longest time, and all my tests are fine.

Alright, here goes:

Chest. 2011 Apr;139(4):764-74. doi: 10.1378/chest.10-0991. Epub 2010 Jul 29.
Effects of water-pipe smoking on lung function: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Raad D1, Gaddam S, Schunemann HJ, Irani J, Abou Jaoude P, Honeine R, Akl EA.
CONCLUSIONS:
WPS negatively affects lung function and may be as harmful as cigarette smoking. WPS, therefore, is likely to be a cause of COPD.

Int J Public Health. 2017 Jan;62(1):73-83. doi: 10.1007/s00038-016-0856-2. Epub 2016 Jul 15.
Cancer risk in waterpipe smokers: a meta-analysis.
Mamtani R1, Cheema S2, Sheikh J3, Al Mulla A4, Lowenfels A5, Maisonneuve P6.
RESULTS:
We retrieved information from 28 published reports. Considering only high quality studies, waterpipe smoking was associated with increased risk of head and neck cancer (SRR 2.97; 95 % CI 2.26-3.90), esophageal cancer (1.84; 1.42-2.38) and lung cancer (2.22; 1.24-3.97)

CONCLUSIONS:
Contrary to the perception of the relative safety of waterpipe smoking, this meta-analysis provides quantitative estimates of its association with cancers of the head and neck, esophagus and lung. The scarcity and limited quality of available reports point out the need for larger carefully designed studies in well-defined populations.

Clin Med (Lond). 2015 Jun;15(3):263-6. doi: 10.7861/clinmedicine.15-3-263.
A review of the health effects of smoking shisha.
Kadhum M1, Sweidan A1, Jaffery AE1, Al-Saadi A1, Madden B2.
Abstract
There is emerging evidence, although at early stages, of various detrimental health effects after smoking shisha. With regard to the cardiovascular system, there is a significant acute rise in cardiovascular markers, such as heart rate and blood pressure. The long-term effects on the cardiovascular system are yet to be established. Shisha smoking has also been significantly associated with lung cancer. Various other forms of cancer have also been documented, but have not reached statistical significance and require further research. Finally, shisha smoking increases the risk of infection and has been associated with outbreaks in the Middle East. Therefore, with the increasing consumption of shisha in Europe, especially in the UK, more research is required to tackle this potential public health threat.

Tob Control. 2015 Mar;24 Suppl 1:i22-i30. doi: 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2014-051907. Epub 2015 Feb 9.
Toxicant content, physical properties and biological activity of waterpipe tobacco smoke and its tobacco-free alternatives.
Shihadeh A1, Schubert J2, Klaiany J3, El Sabban M4, Luch A5, Saliba NA6.
DATA SYNTHESIS:
Waterpipe smoke contains significant concentrations of toxicants thought to cause dependence, heart disease, lung disease and cancer in cigarette smokers, and includes 27 known or suspected carcinogens. Waterpipe smoke is a respirable aerosol that induces cellular responses associated with pulmonary and arterial diseases. Except nicotine, smoke generated using tobacco-free preparations marketed for 'health conscious' users contains the same or greater doses of toxicants, with the same cellular effects as conventional products. Toxicant yield data from the analytical laboratory are consistent with studies of exposure biomarkers in waterpipe users.
CONCLUSIONS:
A sufficient evidence base exists to support public health interventions that highlight the fact that WTS presents a serious inhalation hazard.

I could go on and on if you guys want, this is the first page of my first search. This stuff is really not up for debate. Shisha/Hookah/Waterpipe smoking is unequivocally proven to be harmful for the lungs.
One hookah 'session' is also estimated to be equivalent to smoking 100 or more cigarettes, as per the WHO.

So yeah, please don't think you're doing your lungs a favor by smoking shisha/hookah all day. Educate yourself.

Giving up smoking is a simple exercise, if you really have had enough and want to give up, the key is not being a dick and starting again after a year (i've done this 3 times :d )

If you try to force it with patches and vaping its a one way ticket to carrying on, I went on the 24mg juice (now banned in the UK) for a while and trying to quit that was something akin to going cold turkey from crack or heroin

Edit my breathing is way worse vaping, as said in the op you're pretty much inhaling shit non stop, all day

It's a shame there's still lots of dumb people out there who view vaping as somehow less manly. Like, somehow you're braver for filling your lungs with smoke. How dare you try to quit smoking you coward. And there's also the entire culture that people are trying to cultivate around it.

sonto340

If.you lower the nicotine amount over time the idea is to trick your brain by still getting the feeling of smoking without the part that's actually addictive.
The idea is that you'd be nicotine free by the end but it doesn't always work out that way.

Do people really not understand that nicotine is a highly addictive stimulant?

Yeah, but by itself, it's not really any worse for you than caffeine. The reason cigarettes cause cancer is because of the cancer-causing agents in tobacco smoke, not the nicotine.

Vaping has essentially no carcinogens. Studies are trying to find if there's absolutely no carcinogens, or if it's releasing carcinogens at levels so low that they're virtually undetectable. Some studies show the presence of formaldehyde, while others do not, which gives the impression that those results are different due to different testing methods, and that particular carcinogen perhaps only shows up under specific circumstances/misuse (vaping "dry", burning the wick, voltage too high, etc. Basically any scenario where instead of vaping, you're burning the wicking elements of the vape)

Regardless, in either scenario, vaping either produces zero or near zero carcinogens. That makes it much safer.

Another health concern is the effect of regularly inhaling heated vapor into the lungs, and the effects of that on lung performance. But that's completely unrelated to cancer, and so far I've seen that just mentioned as a possible aspect to study rather than any studies indicating that it has negative effects.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...armful-than-tobacco-estimates-landmark-review

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/e-cigarettes-an-evidence-update

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-36139618

Al-ibn Kermit

it doesn't. people are still vaping just as often as they do with smoking, except now they're sucking on what looks like a lightsaber hilt instead of a piece of paper and some dirt.

both just as dumb and probably as bad. its not conclusive, but I'm willing to bet any sort of inhalation of foreign agents into your body and blood stream is gunna be bad for you. just taking a wild stab in the dark with that one.

the act of and culture are dumb as shit.

I hate vape culture just like I hate tuner culture which is almost nearly as bad as gamer culture. But I kinda like all those things too. Weird.

On topic, it's a danger-mitigation product. I'm sure vaping is worse than just breathing air but you cannot make any statement about how bad it is relative to INHALING BURNING TAR into your lungs. That's a bad move. Have to see the research first.

Vestal

Gold Member
A lot of the problem with vaping is that there is hardly any regulation around the devices and the Juices. A lot of juice companies put in some questionable shit into their juice, along with creating devices that are simply unsafe. A lot of people that work in the industry also do not take the time to educate their customers on the proper use of the devices.

From my research I have stuck to Vaporfi for my juice, since they seem to be the safest when it comes to how they manage their juice and adhere to regulations. I also make sure to keep my mod at a low heat level, never burning at over 4.3 volts.

Vestal

Gold Member
If you're just starting out, you should go to 24 mg as that's considered an equivalent nicotine hit per puff as a cigarette.

When I quit smoking I tried 24mg... Didn't even get through 1 third a bottle before I had to switch to 18... It has too big a throat hit.

Pizoxuat

I know someone who successfully went from smoking half a pack a day down to 0% nic juice and vaping just to pacify the urge to have something to do now.

Drain You

I could go on and on if you guys want, this is the first page of my first search. This stuff is really not up for debate. Shisha/Hookah/Waterpipe smoking is unequivocally proven to be harmful for the lungs.
One hookah 'session' is also estimated to be equivalent to smoking 100 or more cigarettes, as per the WHO.

So yeah, please don't think you're doing your lungs a favor by smoking shisha/hookah all day. Educate yourself.

Just to clarify here, you're talking about Shisha/hookah/waterpipe and not vapes right? Or is that all kinda lumped into the same thing? Honest question.

styl3s

Every couple weeks cut your nic level in half. Pretty soon your just doing nic-less juice
This is how i quit.

I gradually went down on the nicotine level until i was at 0 and then quit. The smoke "anywhere" entirely depends on the person because i didn't vape in my house so i still had to go outside every time i wanted to smoke and i never vaped in public outside of my car so i never smoked anymore than i did when i smoked cigs.

Aselith

Reminds me of the lady I caught vaping next to me on the plane. She was hiding it in her cleavage and taking little vapes when she thought no one was looking. I was wondering why the plane was smelling so minty.

Should have asked if you could have a puff and then winked at her

pa22word

If you're just starting out, you should go to 24 mg as that's considered an equivalent nicotine hit per puff as a cigarette.
If you're buying a decent build and tank I totally don't recommend this at all. I remember one time when the guys who mix my shit accidentally mixed a 24 mix instead of a 10 and it totally wrecked my shit even trying to vape it when using a subohm tank. Forever resolved my fears of accidentally overvapping with a wrong nic mix though, lol

Took it back in and dude was like "I didn't mess it up, bullshit" took one hit and was choking back tears trying to hide how fucking hard it was hitting him lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom