• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Sarcasm? Le Pigeon is widely recognized as one of the absolute top Portland restaurants.

Must be within my circle of people then. I never hear Le Pigeon mentioned much.

EDIT: You know what? I'm thinking of a completely different place not named Le Pigeon.

reilo

More food recommendation: Joe's Burgers. In-N-Out style burger.

I also happen to know the owner.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Joe's Burgers is better. A legit double-patty with fries and a 16oz milkshake: $11.75..

Eh....different opinions then. I like the burger with chevre, fries, and a root beer float for $10. Plus I am not uncomfortable full after eating there.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I like Joe's Burgers. I just prefer Little Big Burger to it. Hell my buddy worked at Joe's in Beaverton.

Ramblin

Banned
Damn this thread. My wife is from the end of the Max line, but she refuses to move back there because of your crazy politics and the rain....but it's so much better for a beer lover than the biggest city in Canada. And I'm not sure Torontonians even know what a burrito is, they're more comfortable with the term "wrap". Although I'm not cool enough to live in the city, a far removed suburb would be nice.

xxracerxx

Damn this thread. My wife is from the end of the Max line, but she refuses to move back there because of your crazy politics and the rain....but it's so much better for a beer lover than the biggest city in Canada. And I'm not sure Torontonians even know what a burrito is, they're more comfortable with the term "wrap". Although I'm not cool enough to live in the city, a far removed suburb would be nice.

What crazy politics? Also depends on what you mean by end of the Max line. So many options there.

Dartastic

Super nice to see the rain the past couple days. Ahhhhhh. I might as well ask in here, I just got my MBA from PSU and I'm job hunting. I don't suppose anyone knows of anything?

I dunno if any Canadians know what good Mexican food is like in general. I have a friend in Vancouver who points out the lack of good Mexican restaurants in Canada quite a bit :p

Not to say that Portland isn't the epitome of great burritos, but there are a decent amount of good taquerias around. Taqueria Portland is one of my favorites; I eat there all the time, due to my close friends living like, right across the street. In fact, I even have 1/2 a deeeelicious burrito waiting for me at home...

Yes, burritos are my favorite food <3

Dartastic

I dunno if any Canadians know what good Mexican food is like in general. I have a friend in Vancouver who points out the lack of good Mexican restaurants in Canada quite a bit :p

Not to say that Portland isn't the epitome of great burritos, but there are a decent amount of good taquerias around. Taqueria Portland is one of my favorites; I eat there all the time, due to my close friends living like, right across the street. In fact, I even have 1/2 a deeeelicious burrito waiting for me at home...

Damn. St. Johns area? Too far for me. This is usually where I wind up going. Good place, and cheap. http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-sirenita-portland

Doombear

Littlebigburger gets my vote. Burger politics!

The only teeny tiny gripe I have with them is their catsup. This one.

When they first opened it was much spicier than it is now. It was a very nice mix of catsup, sriracha and honey. It has been tamed a bit since then, and since they got the bottling all sorted out. Still great, I just wish it had the kick it initially did. If you have never had a burger with chevre, I can't recommend it enough. Their fry sauce is also great.

Speaking of politics... I have heard rumors lately that the owner plans on selling it off and just sticking to the catsup side. Honestly, not a bad racket. I really hope that IF that is true, things don't go downhill.

Ramblin

Banned

My father-in-law took me here when I was last there for Thanksgiving done right (stupid Canadians) as proof that we don't know good burritos I made one with the leftover turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce.

xxracerxx

eF6Tf.jpg

My favorite cheap burritos come from King Burrito. I love how it looks like a pawn shop from the outside but contains such delicious food within.

UrokeJoe

All I know is that the farther north I go the better I feel. Someday when I retire I'll be living more north than I currently am in southern California. It's October and hot as a freak! Love my summers, but I'm ready to cool down.

There is a reason people are cooler up there.

Ramblin

Banned
A beer at the Horse Brass, with a book from Powell's and a burrito from anywhere is better than here. And then a trip to the coast so I can reminisce about the time my future mother-in-law bought me beer for my 20th birthday, and a PS1. If only the government would stop threatening my wife with trans-vaginal probes.

coldvein

Banned
A beer at the Horse Brass, with a book from Powell's and a burrito from anywhere is better than here. And then a trip to the coast so I can reminisce about the time my future mother-in-law bought me beer for my 20th birthday, and a PS1. If only the government would stop threatening my wife with trans-vaginal probes.

o____o

Ramblin

Banned

What does this mean? See what I mean about not being cool enough, or perhaps I'm just too old. When I saw this, I thought you were commiserating about trans-vaginal probes, perhaps you were a victim. Heck I just learned to text last month.

Goodness I miss OR and PDX dearly... I feel the need to contribute a little bit so here goes...

Uptown Billiards Club (http://www.uptownbilliards.com)
Awesome pool hall and bar, but even more awesome is their 5-course tasting menu. Order it!

Santa Fe Taqueria (http://santafetaqueria.com)
Order a burrito with chicken mole **drool** wish I was still living in PDX

Slappy Cakes (http://www.slappycakes.com)
Make your own pancakes at your table! Order some chorizo and mix it in the pancake batter for heaven in your mouth.

The Waffle Window (http://wafflewindow.com/)
Order the The Spicy Bacon Cheddar Jalapeno Waffle and thank me later. Can't go wrong with any waffle order there though.

Mississippi Pizza Pub (http://www.mississippipizza.com)
For some awesome hipster pizza.

Ruby Jewel (http://www.rubyjewel.net)
"THE" place to go if you're in the mood for ice cream for sure.

Like said above it's good to see The Screen Door get some love. Chicken and waffles to die for!

reilo

Portland |OT| Food.

Speaking of which, waiting for my crepes from Cafe de Crepe on Mississippi right now.

Whoa more stuff to update with nice. Also I tried a burger from Brunch Box yesterday. The Thai one. Really good.

Portland |OT| Food.

Speaking of which, waiting for my crepes from Cafe de Crepe on Mississippi right now.

Portland |OT| Gluttony. Too much good stuff here.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Yea, I'm not much of a food person but I'd be lying to say I wasn't looking forward to new restaurants and the like. And, sheesh, that is the classiest-looking pool hall I've seen. In that it looks classy.

And I've finally got my first proper, direct phone interview in the area queued up for next week, finally making some actual progress in getting over there. :)

Yea, I'm not much of a food person but I'd be lying to say I wasn't looking forward to new restaurants and the like. And, sheesh, that is the classiest-looking pool hall I've seen. In that it looks classy.

And I've finally got my first proper, direct phone interview in the area queued up for next week, finally making some actual progress in getting over there. :)

That's awesome! I envy your conviction to decide, get an interview just pack up and move across the country so quickly. You're super lucky with the job dealie; good luck with your interview! I think you're gonna like it here :D

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
They found Whitney. :( I had a feeling that would be the outcome and I feel terrible for her family. Amazing work by the local law enforcement though, I'm really impressed with how quickly they figured everything out.

Canuck76

Banned
Ahh been waiting for this thread for a long time

Stanichs

Great place off the top of my head. Great burgers and great Ms.pacman and tetris sit down tables. Just amazing burgers and meals in general, on the level of Dicks in Seattle.

McMenamins!

All other pub/restaurants/microbreweries! You are on notice! These guys are best in the business. These are throughout Oregon but the kennedy school location is the one I'm most familiar with. Always quality meals, always quality drinks, and a great movie theater that you can have food and beer in and great frigging comfortable lazboy like seats. Check it out.

I lived in Bend Oregon (home of Mt Bachelor!) for a while but i know Portland pretty well, and have been there multiple times. Great city

hyp

One of the weekly newspapers figured out there is 1 Thai restaurant for every 13.5 Thai people in Portland: http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-27050-whats_with_all_the_thai_restaurants_in_portland.html

hilarious. in San Jose, CA where I'm originally from the ratio is probably the same for Vietnamese restaurants. there are a shit ton, and a huge Vietnamese population to say the least. Portland sounds like a cool place, I have about 3 acquaintances that have moved over there in the last month alone. sounds like the place to be on the west coast.

reilo

I personally don't see the huge appeal of Thai food myself, but everyone in Portland loves it.

Sumidor

I'm into a select few dishes. To be perfectly honest though I haven't hit a place that's better than the one near my home in the Bay Area.

There's a few good ones. Gin Thai the food cart was pretty good, but they closed last year. Also Red Onion on 23rd used to be reallllly good, but has kinda gone down a bit since they won best restaurant a few years back. Personally I think Pok Pok is way overrated. The wings are delicious, as is the papaya salad, but other than that.. meh.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
That's awesome! I envy your conviction to decide, get an interview just pack up and move across the country so quickly. You're super lucky with the job dealie; good luck with your interview! I think you're gonna like it here :D

Well, let's not count chickens. :p Wound up being more of a phone screen than a full-on interview, but that part should happen next week. Hopefully it'll go well, it's the kinda place I'd rather work at (if I have to be a developer) regardless of location. And the call seemed generally positive, so y'know, good spirits there.

The whole moving cross-country thing... doesn't seem like a big deal honestly, though I know I have a bad sense of scale. I mean, yea 2,700 miles, but take 6 days to do it and it's not that bad. I sit that much every day anyway. Plus I'd get to see the majestic wilds of Montana! :p Though that might be better than crossing the Bonneville salt flats...

I do genuinely wonder how Portland's gonna feel in terms of scale. Density's apparently lower, but I'm going from a metro of 1mil to 2mil. Dunno how much Beaverton/Hillsboro/etc. skews that, they seem like substantial suburbs. Just as long as I don't end up feeling isolated again (big reason I'm gunning for in-city living).

And Buffalo's being nice, helping me get acclimated. Two days in a row now of cool and rainy weather. :p

reilo

Have I mentioned that Beaverton and Hillsboro are terrible?

Dartastic

There's a few good ones. Gin Thai the food cart was pretty good, but they closed last year. Also Red Onion on 23rd used to be reallllly good, but has kinda gone down a bit since they won best restaurant a few years back. Personally I think Pok Pok is way overrated. The wings are delicious, as is the papaya salad, but other than that.. meh.

Pad Thai kitchen on Belmont is my favorite. If you get your food to go you easily get enough for two meals, and it is stupidly delicious. The fact that it's like two blocks away from my house is nice too.

I had to go to conference in Corvalis the other day, so I stopped in Portland on the way down on Monday. Had a Cubano at Bunk Sandwiches and then stopped in at Cascade's Barrel House for some awesome sour beer before hitting the road. On the way back to Seattle yesterday, I made a pitstop at Hair of the Dog for a bottle of Bourbon Fred from the Wood. Soo good.

I had to go to conference in Corvalis the other day, so I stopped in Portland on the way down on Monday. Had a Cubano at Bunk Sandwiches and then stopped in at Cascade's Barrel House for some awesome sour beer before hitting the road. On the way back to Seattle yesterday, I made a pitstop at Hair of the Dog for a bottle of Bourbon Fred from the Wood. Soo good.

Oh fuck yes! I love Cascade Barrel House <3 Sours are prolly one of, if not my favorite kind of beer, and they do an amazing job. It's also in that cool location next to the goat field (though I haven't gotten to see the goats yet /sadface)

Applied for a job that's located in Eugene, OR. It's a wage and hour investigator position with the DOL. I looked at pictures of Eugene, and it looks nice I guess.

Oh fuck yes! I love Cascade Barrel House <3 Sours are prolly one of, if not my favorite kind of beer, and they do an amazing job. It's also in that cool location next to the goat field (though I haven't gotten to see the goats yet /sadface)

Cascade rocks. We get most of their stuff up here in Seattle, but there are always a few things that never leave the brewery, so I make a point of visiting a few times a year.

Applied for a job that's located in Eugene, OR. It's a wage and hour investigator position with the DOL. I looked at pictures of Eugene, and it looks nice I guess.
Dough Co and Burrito Boy are both good grub out there. Ninkasi Brewing is out there as well with some good beer. Game days are an awesome time... Go Ducks! And with that said its def. a college town. Not necessarily close enough to PDX to be driving there on a regular basis though.

PS: Good luck with the job process.

Belfast

Eugene's fine. Couple of buttes to climb, mt. pisgah, rafting down the river that runs through town is fun in the summer, decent parks, lots of greenery (especially the residential parts of downtown and into the south hills).

Our neighbor, Springfield, is kind of a shithole, but that's okay. Rent is a bit cheaper there and it gets the nickname Springtucky for a reason.

Eugene is like a mini-Portland in a lot of ways. There's some great food and once in awhile one of the popular PDX joints will make its way down here (Voodoo Doughnuts showed up a year or two ago and Little Big Burger opened up a few months back).

Since this thread is basically about food here's a short list of what I would recommend:

Pizza Research Institute (vegetarian pizza, but really good)
Dos Banderos (mexican food cart downtown)
Dump City (dumplings food cart downtown)
El Taco Express (mexican in Springfield, but only a mile or two down from the stadium)
Dough Co. (calzones/cookies)
The Vintage (a bit classier, fondue and the like)
Off the Waffle (waffles, topped with all kinds of different things -- though they used to stuff the waffles when they first opened)
Riva's (another cheapish mexican place)
Falling Sky Brewery (beer + slightly classier food)
Cornucopia (variety)
Izumi's (pretty good sushi, decent happy hour)
Papa's Soul Food (BBQ/Southern)
Little Big Burger (burgers/fries with a bit of a twist)
Voodoo Doughnuts (a little overrated but still pretty unique)
Mezza Luna (pizza by the slice, rotating variety day by day)
Cabaret by Day (okay, i'm a little biased on this one since I've done/am doing stage productions here, but they do lunch service Mon-Sat and the food is pretty damn good)
Jiffy Market (despite the weirdos that hang out here sometimes, they have a huge selection of wine and some fantastic fucking sandwiches for a reasonable price)
The Beer Stein (godly beer cheese soup and hundreds of varieties of beers)
Cheba Hut (stoner decor, but some excellent toasted subs)
McMenamin's (as mentioned there are some in other parts of Oregon, we have two here in town, legit beer/pub-style food)

I'm sure I'll think of more later and I honestly haven't been to a lot of the ritzier places in town, but I know some of them are held in pretty high regard (like Beppe and Gianni's -- Italian).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yall should come to the Halo 4 LAN party I'm throwing!

Saturday, November 10
4pm - 8pm
Guardian Games : 303 SE 3rd Avenue

This is the first LAN I've ever organized, so don't expect nothing too fancy. I want to build momentum, get a solid following, and eventually do some more ambitious events, though! I have zero gamer friends in Portland, so I'd really appreciate if yall could help spread the word.

Here's the Facebook Event, and here's a tweet you can repost. <3

Edit : Hah, top of the page. That's convenient. ;-)

Top Bottom