• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Drayco21

Sacrilegious as it may be, Welker's Megatron has never really impressed me; I've always liked Fred Tatasciore and Corey Burton more.

I thought Welker was pretty weak in AoE, so I hope like him more in TLK.

Firemind

Sacrilegious as it may be, Welker's Megatron has never really impressed me; I've always liked Fred Tatasciore and Corey Burton more.

I thought Welker was pretty weak in AoE, so I hope like him more in TLK.
It's because he can't fully replicate Megs old voice anymore. I believe he said this in an interview. Which is why he sounds different in Devastation.

Aske

It's because he can't fully replicate Megs old voice anymore. I believe he said this in an interview. Which is why he sounds different in Devastation.

He nails the voice in Devastation. If it's slightly different, it certainly doesn't sound jarringly off.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
He nails the voice in Devastation. If it's slightly different, it certainly doesn't sound jarringly off.

He doesn't sound at all right in Devastation. It's very clear he's modifying the voice to do the best he can with it without tearing his throat up. Cullen's done a better job of keeping Prime's voice pretty consistent, but it has definitely gotten a bit deeper in the last 10 years and has dropped a lot of the John Wayne it had in the original cartoon, which is also very noticeable in Devastation.

Welker's modified Megatron is preferable to whatever Gregg Berger is doing as Grimlock in that game, though. Either Berger can't do Grimlock at all anymore or he doesn't remember how to.

Aske

Can't agree on the Welker thing, but I'd guess you have a more sensitive ear for details I don't pick up on. I totally agree about Grimlock though. I assumed it was a new VA - I had no idea that was the actor who did the original cartoon voice.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Welker's Megatron sounds amazing in TF Prime, does his Devastation voice sound the same?

His Devastation voice is about 70% G1 and maybe 30% TF Prime. Welker basically mixed in enough Prime Megatron to take the back-of-the-throat edge off doing the voice. It works for the character but it's very obviously not the G1 voice as he did it back in the day.

mrkgoo

So while I'm in Taiwan, I was under the impression that the cyber battalion range was sort of limited to some regions. Figured I'd pick up the prowl that looked pretty cool.

Bottom of the box says "distributed in Aus/NZ by Hasbro Aus/NZ".

Bah. Oh well. Probably got it for a bit cheaper.

NEO0MJ

Well, I did it. Amiami seem to have Megatron in stock so I picked one up and will hate it shipped with the SOC Megatron which should be in stock within a week. Did anyone hear anything about how they handled the ones shipped outside Japan?

just got notice from Anime Export that my preorder of the reissues of MP-13 Soundwave, MP-15 Rumble & Jaguar, and MP-16 Frenzy & Buzzsaw are ready to ship pending shipping charges. Hoping the shipping charges are reasonable.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Movie Masterpiece Optimus revealed. Some mistransformation issues in the photos, but apparently that is due to an incredibly complex 43 step transformation. He's about the size of a Leader.

QCmbBtW.jpg

n1w0rjC.jpg

Drayco21

That seems pretty rad. Not quite rad enough to get me to buy my first masterpiece, but it's close.

Barricade may very well break me.

just got notice from Anime Export that my preorder of the reissues of MP-13 Soundwave, MP-15 Rumble & Jaguar, and MP-16 Frenzy & Buzzsaw are ready to ship pending shipping charges. Hoping the shipping charges are reasonable.
Came out to $41.88 tonight for Fast Shipping, if anyone else is processing now. I originally estimated about $50 based on preorder weight info, so pretty happy!

Tizoc

Lost Light 5 preview at last. I swear ever since I cut down on reading comics these past few months, LL has been the only comic book worth reading for me and the wait for it is like being thristy in a desert and LL being the occasional oasis that re energizes you as you keep making your way through it
http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/04/27/idw-lost-light-5-itunes-preview-337871

Yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Who is the 'Useless One' now huh?

HigXx

Its amazing seeing the similarities and differences between the 2 Primes, shows just how much of a marvel ROTF Prime is. A lot of the other movie Leaders especially Megatron never came as close to having such a great figure as that

Correctly transformed backpack.

qXvkiEC.jpg

And a comparison with the RotF Leader Prime from the side.

ysYFlSb.jpg

These have larger smoke stacks than the official images? Kinda confused as these pics have lot of differences from the box images of the figure. Looks more plastic and less chromed too. Shoulders tube things missing the holes shown on the "correctly" transformed one

Shirke

MPM-4 looks pretty nice, but I'm not too sure if it's worth getting over a ROTF Prime mold. Especially with the new MB-11 reissue that comes with more accessories like the hooks for face tearing action.

reduced-image_12419_106.jpg

1477654315-mb-leader-optimus-prime-takara-06.jpg

But I guess that's a testament to how good the ROTF Prime mold was.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
RotF is a marvel of its day but this one is head and shoulders above it in every respect. Poseability alone is a game changer. Although it does share a lot of transformation tricks with RotF Prime; I guess they figured if it ain't broke, don't fix it in that regard. Removing the gratuitous sound box is probably the key, since most of RotF Prime's shortcomings are related to that taking up unnecessary space.

I may or may not get Prime, but I'm definitely getting Barricade if he's of similar quality.

These have larger smoke stacks than the official images? Kinda confused as these pics have lot of differences from the box images of the figure. Looks more plastic and less chromed too. Shoulders tube things missing the holes shown on the "correctly" transformed one

The smoke stacks extend and collapse.

The official pics have the usual Hasbro post-production sheen put on them. The correctly transformed shots are much more accurate to what the toy actually looks like.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Evasion Optimus loses points for reminding me of AoE. And for being the "There, are you happy now, nerds?" middle finger from Bay after four movies. And for the windshield not matching up properly on any version of the mold, even the improved oversized Wei Jang one.

Evasion Optimus loses points for reminding me of AoE. And for being the "There, are you happy now, nerds?" middle finger from Bay after four movies. And for the windshield not matching up properly on any version of the mold, even the improved oversized Wei Jang one.

77scZot.jpg

I got my Masterpiece Megatron from Amiami. No plug, but I'm not in the US either. I don't want to think about how much it cost with shipping and customs, but it's a fantastic figure!

Cheerilee

You guys aren't actually upset about this, right?

I thought it was mildly funny (Peter Cullen's delivery on "Then go home." is great), but it was a bit distracting how it felt like it was pissing on everything that made my childhood hero great (although that's standard for Bayformers and I'm kind of resigned to it).

About Michael Bay and Bayformers in general? I could write entire books. About this in particular? Nah, just another turd on the heap. Being upset about this would be like being upset about the color of someone's shoes in Shyamalan's Airbender.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

This spot in particular? No. The overall characterization of Bayformers Prime as a psychotic murderbot? Yeah, I think that's a pretty shitty direction for the character, even if it does fit snugly into the Bayformers films' worldview.

Although watching this spot in which the thrust of the gag is "Optimus threatens a human and then tells her to go home because he will absolutely threaten her again" did make me wonder what Peter Cullen thinks about what the character has become, considering he based the original voice and characterization on his older brother who was a U.S. Marine who fought in Vietnam and came back a wiser man.

Zampano

Hey Transformer Gaf. I have recently got it into my head that I need an awesome G1 Prime figure. From my initial research it seems my best choices are MP10 Masterpiece (now around £225, transforms) or the 18" MAS figure (£175, is huge, doesn't transform, looks cool as fuck). Are there any other choices? Anything on the horizon? Are those prices about right or am I looking in the wrong places?

Obviously it would be cool to have one that actually transforms but I worry if I start down the masterpiece road I'll end up collecting - I would need Soundwave and Megatron immediately. Thanks in advance!

MP-10 Optimus, MP-? Soundwave and MP-36 Megatron are basically the pinnacle of Transformers, as are a few minor figures like Prowl, Inferno and Ironhide/Ratchet. The rest are all good figures. I would go for them over any statue.

They are supremely collectable though. I just brought out all my MP's and set up a battle on the kitchen table. My inner eight year old squealed.

Oh, and Soundwave was re-released to coincide with Megatron, might be a good time to grab both. OP won't get more expensive and is probably due for another release or re-release soon.

NEO0MJ

For Optimus another option is 3A's offering.

But personally I'd go for MP-10. Non-transforming Transformers always felt wrong for me. £225 is a bit high for it, though. $180 should be the max you pay.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Another vote for MP-10. The statues are nice and all but they don't transform so they don't get to be in my house.

Got

Banned
Hey Transformer Gaf. I have recently got it into my head that I need an awesome G1 Prime figure. From my initial research it seems my best choices are MP10 Masterpiece (now around £225, transforms) or the 18" MAS figure (£175, is huge, doesn't transform, looks cool as fuck). Are there any other choices? Anything on the horizon? Are those prices about right or am I looking in the wrong places?

Obviously it would be cool to have one that actually transforms but I worry if I start down the masterpiece road I'll end up collecting - I would need Soundwave and Megatron immediately. Thanks in advance!

MPP-10. Get the trailer as well. You won't be disappointed.

Beth Cyra

For Optimus another option is 3A's offering.

But personally I'd go for MP-10. Non-transforming Transformers always felt wrong for me. £225 is a bit high for it, though. $180 should be the max you pay.
I love this look though.

Granted I don't mind the non transforming as I always just my Prime and Magni and leave them in their Prime not modes.

If they have a Magnus I might pick up the set.

NEO0MJ

MPP-10. Get the trailer as well. You won't be disappointed.

It's not like you can avoid it :p
I think only the Nemesis version doesn't have it.

I love this look though.

Granted I don't mind the non transforming as I always just my Prime and Magni and leave them in their Prime not modes.

If they have a Magnus I might pick up the set.

Same here, but it feels like such a fundamental thing for me. It's in the name!
Also, you really like your Magnus, lol. Is it just the color scheme or the character himself?

Got

Banned
It's not like you can avoid it :p
I think only the Nemesis version doesn't have it.

Same here, but it feels like such a fundamental thing for me. It's in the name!
Also, you really like your Magnus, lol. Is it just the color scheme or the character himself?

yeah, but gotta buy 'em seperately. I'd kill for a scaled G1 box for MPP-10 and his trailer though. mmmmmmm

NEO0MJ

yeah, but gotta buy 'em seperately. I'd kill for a scaled G1 box for MPP-10 and his trailer though. mmmmmmm

What do you mean? The trailer comes with the figure. It's the original MP-01 which didn't come with a trailer and had to be bought separately.

Top Bottom