• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

What do you mean? They have been more than generous in showing off the PS3 version with hours of live streams, and it runs fine. They have actually been showing the PS3 version the most lately. No, it is not locked at 30 FPS, but it is hardly some unplayable mess like many are claiming.

If the demo is indicative of the final game's framerate, it's unplayable to me. Not literally unplayable, but unplayable in the sense that I'd never purposely buy a game with a framerate that bad. I was able to overlook the couple of instances of it in Dark Souls, but barely. I guess that makes me a framerate whore.

And ouch at those videos you linked to. Either the capture equipment is complete crap or the game is, because that did not look good at all. I'm guessing it's the site and not the game. The videos from Xbox Magazine are much much better quality than these.

charsace

And the shield strike isn't really a damage dealer. Its for staggering or stunning enemies. TO create openings basically.

I really don't understand the Dark Soul comparisons. They are both medieval fantasy and made by Japanese devs and are RPG's sure, but the feel and gameplay of both games are nothing a like.

ironcreed

Banned
If the demo is indicative of the final game's framerate, it's unplayable to me. Not literally unplayable, but unplayable in the sense that I'd never purposely buy a game with a framerate that bad. I was able to overlook the couple of instances of it in Dark Souls, but barely. I guess that makes me a framerate whore.

This is not even close to Blight Town territory, though. But, whatever. I don't think you will go wrong with either version. They both seemed fine to me, but I prefer no screen tearing and the PS3 controller. To each their own.

Synless

What version do you guys recommend ? i have both an ps3 and xbox 360. or is it still to early to call?
I would almost certainly guarantee the 360 version will be best. I base this solely off having played every Framework engine game on PS3 and having played them later on 360, the 360 versions were leagues better.

cgcg

I've watched about 4 hours of HD 360 footage on youtube and the tearing was minimal at worst, but the framerate was rock solid. Most of the footage appears to be from the 360. Hopefully there will be more PS3 footage so PS3-only owners can determine if the framerate was addressed in later builds.

Understatement of the year lol.

Most footage are from the PS3 version.

Understatement of the year lol.

Most footage are from the PS3 version.

Sorry, I've been watching HD videos of it as well as playing the demo. The tearing is minimal. Unfortunately the PS3 demo has a terrible framerate. Granted it doesn't drop, its just consistently low. That's unacceptable to me. It's working out well though since the game requires a lot of usage of the triggers and I can't stand the triggers on the dual shock.

Most footage I've seen is of the 360 version. OXM's videos being the best quality, and the adventures of Penfold and Dangermouse being a close 2nd.

Episode 1
http://www.videogamer.com/videos/dragons_dogma_episode_1.html
Episode 2
http://www.videogamer.com/videos/dragons_dogma_episode_2.html
Episode 3
http://www.videogamer.com/videos/dragons_dogma_episode_3.html

Anteater

What version do you guys recommend ? i have both an ps3 and xbox 360. or is it still to early to call?

Judging from this thread and the demo, 360 seems to run better but with more screen tearing, I would wait for the retail version though since I'm not sure if the demo is a new build.

Most footage I've seen is of the 360 version. OXM's videos being the best quality, and the adventures of Penfold and Dangermouse being a close 2nd.

Most of the capcom-unity streams are on ps3, but they're really poor quality :(

Judging from this thread and the demo, 360 seems to run better but with more screen tearing, I would wait for the retail version though since I'm not sure if the demo is a new build.

Most of the capcom-unity streams are on ps3, but they're really poor quality :(

Yep, the ones that were linked from Capcom-Unity are just terrible quality. OXM's and Videogamers are high quality direct feeds.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
hmm, so I think enemies might take more damage if they're not in attack mode, the goblins seems to die in 3 hits if you sneak up on them :eek:

Can't tell for sure though :p

Edit: yep goblins gets 2 shotted when I walk up to them at the beginning by hugging the wall. takes more hits once they're aware

Just note, this is the same thing for your characters, too. A pawn mentioned that you take more damage when your weapons are not drawn. Nice trick there.

After playing the countryside quest back to back on both platforms I think I will go with PS3. The framerate is a bit worse, but I love the absence of tearing and it's definitely not as blurry as the X360 version. The textures look much nicer. Also L1/R1 > bumpers.

Now I need to re-create my team on PS3 as well, sigh.

Also the Griffin goes down if you hit the wings with a full bend arrow, that was an awesome moment.

Jasoneyu

After playing the countryside quest back to back on both platforms I think I will go with PS3. The framerate is a bit worse, but I love the absence of tearing and it's definitely not as blurry as the X360 version. The textures look much nicer. Also L1/R1 > bumpers.

Also the Griffin goes down if you hit the wings with a full bend arrow, that was an awesome moment.

I am going for the ps3 as well, for some reason I couldn't get comfortable with the triggers + LB combos as I did with the ps3 controller.

jett

D-Member
It's kind of amazing how the character creator is creating non-shiteous people. I don't think I've ever created a non-shiteous character in an RPG.

Yeah that's one thing good about DD. Character creators in pretty much everything else are a pain in the ass.

cgcg

Sorry, I've been watching HD videos of it as well as playing the demo. The tearing is minimal. Unfortunately the PS3 demo has a terrible framerate. Granted it doesn't drop, its just consistently low. That's unacceptable to me. It's working out well though since the game requires a lot of usage of the triggers and I can't stand the triggers on the dual shock.

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3

Saw few minutes of the middle section of 2nd footage. A lot better in the wild but once he entered the fort at 15 minute mark the screen tearings are all over the place.

edit: the troll fight right after exiting the fort in the wild are pretty horrendous in terms of screen tearings.

Saw few minutes of the middle section of 2nd footage. A lot better in the wild but once he entered the fort at 15 minute mark the screen tearings are all over the place.

edit: the troll fight right after exiting the fort in the wild are pretty horrendous in terms of screen tearings.

I've watched it all, it's hardly tearing "all over the place". All that matters to me is that the framerate appears to be solid, and it is. Screen tearing doesn't affect gameplay, a consistently terrible framerate does (see Mass Effect 1).

The 360 demo hardly tears in the countryside quest if you set the console to 720p. In the storyline mission, the tearing is still horrible even in 720p.

cgcg

I've watched it all, it's hardly tearing "all over the place". All that matters to me is that the framerate appears to be solid, and it is. Screen tearing doesn't affect gameplay, a consistently terrible framerate does (see Mass Effect 1).

Just because you refuse to or can't see it doesn't mean they are not horrendous in parts. Just for the heck of it I watched a few minutes of the third video and the pawn selection area around 12 minute mark is pure shit in terms of screen tearings AND frame rate.

I mean it's good you may not be sensitive to bad screen tearings, but you shouldn't commend on that aspect if that's the case.

edit: the rest of 3rd video...yikes.

The 360 demo hardly tears in the countryside quest if you set the console to 720p. In the storyline mission, the tearing is still horrible even in 720p.

Not horrible to me, I guess I'm more accepting of it, but I'm definitely not accepting of a low framerate, even if its consistent. The whole time I played the PS3 demo I was disappointed. I was incredibly happy when the 360 version turned out to have a really good framerate. I loved Dark Souls until I hit those three major areas where the framerate just went to hell and it was so disappointing. I'm still amazed someone in development saw those areas in Dark Souls and said, "This is acceptable, release it.".

Demo is way too short. Are they afraid people will play too much and get bored or something? I don't have anywhere near enough time to get accustomed to the game.

Edit: Also, this game desperately needs to be released on PC. Dat MT Framework

Anteater

Demo is way too short. Are they afraid people will play too much and get bored or something? I don't have anywhere near enough time to get accustomed to the game.

Edit: Also, this game desperately needs to be released on PC. Dat MT Framework

I think it's just Capcom being lazy, it's the same demo from E3 a fucking year ago
KuGsj.gif

Patryn

Yeah, to those downplaying the tearing issue but decrying the framerate issue, understand that there are some people who think the absolute opposite. Low framerate doesn't bother me in the least (at least at the level the PS3 demo is), while tearing literally bugs the shit out of me.

I will quickly drop any game that has terrible tearing. In fact, I was playing the Risen 2 demo at PAX East, and the second I saw tearing I just put down the controller and walked away.

And every time I've played the 360 version of the demo, and every single 360 gameplay video, all I can see is the prevalent tearing.

But this is seriously all a YMMV issue. If you can't stand framerate issues, I'm sure the 360 version will be great for you.

Anteater

SOTC is another example of a game with a frame rate so terrible that I stopped playing it. Is the updated HD version better in that regard?

Yeah, pretty sure people said the framerate has been improved, but the pop ups are still there, ICO runs at 1080 too I think, not 100% sure but you could ask at the official thread, it was one of the better ports.

Nibel

Visuals are pretty good and the battle mechanics seem to make a bunch of different approaches possible. The only noticable flaw are the paws who are "too active".. I felt like the 5th wheel in my own game :lol

Despite the short demo, I have a positive feeling about this title and if user reviews will be positive, I might get it.

Erasus

But without tearing, which is the point I'm trying to make. And not everyone can't stand a low framerate.

Yea a sup 30-fps on an action game is totally cool

Its not. PS3 version seems to be locked at 25fps or something.... It just feels so sluggish. This is why I want settings on consoles. I would gladly turn off v-sync and AA just to get 5-10fps more.

Patryn

Its not. PS3 version seems to be locked at 25fps or something.... It just feels so sluggish. This is why I want settings on consoles. I would gladly turn off v-sync and AA just to get 5-10fps more.

The final time I'll hit this point: to some people, it is fine. Not everyone, but a subset of gamers will find it acceptable given other factors. Again, I'm in the crowd that will gladly take a low framerate over tearing.

Yeah, the difference between aiming the bow on the PS3 demo and the 360 demo is huge. Much easier, and more precise on 360. That's due in large part to the far superior framerate, but also the tighter analog sticks. I would also trade visuals for an acceptable framerate. But if these are E3 demos, then the point is kind of moot anyway since a lot may have changed. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to tell based on the Cap-Comm Unity videos. I'm sure DF will do a comparison at some point.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Yep, you really need 30 fps to help build that combo meter, right?

Jac_Solar

They said that it is just something that they would like to do and think they can sell a lot, but are of course unsure if it would be attainable worldwide. They did say that they think they can very much sell 1 million copies in Japan, though. That, I agree with. It's been the most wanted game in Famitsu for some time now.

Anyway, here is what was said:

"I don't know if other Japanese developers are trying to become more global, but I know we definitely are. It's difficult, because we really want this game to sell 10 million units worldwide. We want to sell a lot and that's just something that we think we can do. We're not positive [ it will be a success]. Of course it's a risk, but that's what we want, a challenge."

"In Japan, we can absolutely sell a million units. We know that's attainable, it's absolutely doable. We have a kind of assurance that that will happen, but for worldwide that's not so much the case, and I think that's why a lot of Japanese developers are hesitant about going global. It's because they don't have that assurance that it'll be successful."

http://www.play.tm/news/34927/capcom-aiming-to-sell-10-million-copies-of-dragon-s-dogma/

Yeah. So many people seemed to read that the wrong way, cause a lot of people made fun of them for "thinking it would sell 10 million" around the time that article was posted.

Anteater

Yeah. So many people seemed to read that the wrong way, cause a lot of people made fun of them for "thinking it would sell 10 million" around the time that article was posted.

The original article was actually quite good too, journalists just picked out that line and made shitty articles out of it

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/dragons_dogma/features/article/dragons_dogma_how_hideaki_itsuno_is_taking_on_skyrim_and_the_world.html

Itsuno was a big RPG fan, who would've guessed :p

NeoUltima

Probably old news but you can hold down heavy attack to get a follow up attack.
You can also stagger the second hit of light attack chains to get a variation combo.
Adds a little more depth to the combat, very nice.

Not horrible to me, I guess I'm more accepting of it, but I'm definitely not accepting of a low framerate, even if its consistent. The whole time I played the PS3 demo I was disappointed. I was incredibly happy when the 360 version turned out to have a really good framerate. I loved Dark Souls until I hit those three major areas where the framerate just went to hell and it was so disappointing. I'm still amazed someone in development saw those areas in Dark Souls and said, "This is acceptable, release it.".

I wouldn't call it really good when the 360 needs to tear to keep up the framerate. And if you don't think it's bad in the story mission then I don't know what to say. Hell, the 360 version even tears in the character creator. But yes, people are sensitive to different factors.

I really hope this will be improved in the final build, so I can happily pick up the game. And fix the letterbox while you're at it Capcom.

Decado

I wouldn't call it really good when the 360 needs to tear to keep up the framerate. And if you don't think it's bad in the story mission then I don't know what to say. Hell, the 360 version even tears in the character creator. But yes, people are sensitive to different factors.

I really hope this will be improved in the final build, so I can happily pick up the game. And fix the letterbox while you're at it Capcom.
This! Found it damn annoying, particularly in the dark part of the demo with all the tips popping up.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I like the game, but I will wait for a technical review before I purchase it. The tearing was annoying to me.

demigod

How is this?

3Ltgo.jpg
gKDoT.jpg

Hrmm, doesn't look like it much. Maybe it's because the EQ models are so blocky it's hard to make it.

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3

Are you blind? There's tearing in those videos every now and then. Look at the screen when the game boots up. Look at the scene when the dragon is breathing fire. Look at the scene when they're at the pawn rift. Those are just a few that I came by shortly watching it. And the fort scene that cgcg mentioned is HORRIBLE. That's a LOT of tearing. Sure you prefer better framerate with screen tearing, but don't pretend it barely exists. I can't stand screen tearing, it hurts my eyes on big screens(not those videos).

I keep hearing about it being blurry on the 360 but the Lens of Truth pics the 360 is actually sharper.

Top Bottom