• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

HyperHip

Played the demo this morning. The combat is really fun and climbing on the chimera and wrecking his was shit was awesome! I had no interest in this game before but I think this might be a day 1 for me.

Demo went up for silvers so I d/l'd it.

I was super stoked for this game, but I played the Prologue quest last night and hated it.

I thought I would give it another go this morning and played the Griffin quest and loved it.

I have determined that it was literally the Pawn message sub-titles that turned me off of the game last night. Funny how one little thing can literally ruin a game.

I turned the pawn subs off for the Griffin quest and it was awesome. Combat is frenetic. The game handles very well, and I did not find the Pawns to be overly intrusive. Most of all, the combat was fun! I found the controls to be quite intuitive; switching between ranged and blade was quick and easy. I also did not notice a whole lot of screen tearing on the sexbox, but I was running 720p.

I made a fat midget dwarf chick as a tank and a tall milky elf for my main. The game will follow the formula of DPS/Ranged, Tank, Cleric, Enchanter groups, but that is fine. I expected that.

So yeah...hated it last night, loved it this morning. Will buy, though Diablo 3 will be taking the bulk of my time, I'm sure.

Demo went up for silvers so I d/l'd it.

I was super stoked for this game, but I played the Prologue quest last night and hated it.

I thought I would give it another go this morning and played the Griffin quest and loved it.

I have determined that it was literally the Pawn message sub-titles that turned me off of the game last night. Funny how one little thing can literally ruin a game.

I turned the pawn subs off for the Griffin quest and it was awesome. Combat is frenetic. The game handles very well, and I did not find the Pawns to be overly intrusive. Most of all, the combat was fun! I found the controls to be quite intuitive; switching between ranged and blade was quick and easy. I also did not notice a whole lot of screen tearing on the sexbox, but I was running 720p.

I made a fat midget dwarf chick as a tank and a tall milky elf for my main. The game will follow the formula of DPS/Ranged, Tank, Cleric, Enchanter groups, but that is fine. I expected that.

So yeah...hated it last night, loved it this morning. Will buy, though Diablo 3 will be taking the bulk of my time, I'm sure.
It seems to me that as long as you have some form of flames(spells, enchantments, whatever) for setting shit on fire, you're good to go. Items and pawn revival make healers non-vital, and tanks can be circumvented by smart play.

Obviously a group of four stabby dudes is going to have a harder time of it than a well-balanced party, but it doesn't seem like it'll be prohibitive.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Will you have that much choice in selecting the two pawns you can't create? Or do you just get assigned whoever?

You can touch one of those stones, and then choose a pawn from the ones sitting around waiting to be picked up.

You can also ask pawns walking around in the world to join you.

abundant

Will you have that much choice in selecting the two pawns you can't create? Or do you just get assigned whoever?

You can choose any pawn you want to be your hired pawn, so yes this can be done. The only problem is that hired Pawns do not gain levels, so you have to switch pawns every few hours, unless you want to make the game harder because your hired pawns are under leveled, thus they die quickly and their special abilities are weak.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Always always ALWAYS options first in any/every game for me. Y must be inverted or I can't play it. It's like the initial step of grading a test. You look at the top ... no name? Discard pile. Someone gets a zero. Same thing here. can't invert the Y? and to a (much) lesser extent adjust the sensitivity? ... back in the box. return to store.

I also had to play around like crazy with the light levels. Had all my deep black special option type stuff turned off on my ps3 and it was washing out my darkness at night time. Some fine tuning and now it's truly dark when it should be truly dark. FYI.. still lovin the shit out of this game!

Anteater: Crazy fucking .gif meng!! Anyone care to translate the text at the bottom of the scene there? ... wonder if that's a crazy advanced buff?

Tex117

Banned
On twitter someone say that in PSM3 Magazine UK, the game has get 8.5
\
This basically means the game is great IMO.

Games that are "ZOMG 9-10's" are almost always over hyped let-downs from huge developers doing a sequal.

Games in the 8-9 range for new IP's seem to tbe the games that attempt to be creative, experiment with new ideas, and are all around pretty awesome. (Or they aren't really good).

Nonetheless, Im in...day 1.

wanders

This basically means the game is great IMO.

Games that are "ZOMG 9-10's" are almost always over hyped let-downs from huge developers doing a sequal.

Games in the 8-9 range for new IP's seem to tbe the games that attempt to be creative, experiment with new ideas, and are all around pretty awesome. (Or they aren't really good).

Nonetheless, Im in...day 1.
I agree.
Yeah I'm thinking DD will get consistent 8 scores as opposed to those ZOMG 9ers which often include polorized 6-7 scores. DD is set to be RPGOTY

Schwabe

okay, now i read the german review from play3 myself. so far so good (83%, graphic 7, sound 9, controls 8, singleplayer 9), but i will mention some other things from the article:

- Enemies are not leveling. So like in Sacred2 i.e., you return to an old area, you are overpowered (i think that's what we encountered in the demo). the other side of this, there will be areas with too strong enemies...

- mandatory install on PS3, 4,5GB ... i can live with that, but i know there are people out there who won't be amused ^_^

- they mentioned 25h for the main story (experienced players)

- they said the target audience for DD are experienced (rpg) players. DD is not in "sadistic spheres like the Souls titles" but the difficulty is described als "between middle and high" O,o

Dresden

okay, now i read the german review from play3 myself. so far so good (83%, graphic 7, sound 9, controls 8, singleplayer 9), but i will mention some other things from the article:

- Enemies are not leveling. So like in Sacred2 i.e., you return to an old area, you are overpowered (i think that's what we encountered in the demo). the other side of this, there will be areas with too strong enemies...

- mandatory install on PS3, 4,5GB ... i can live with that, but i know there are people out there who won't be amused ^_^

- they said the target audience for DD are experienced (rpg) players. DD is not in "sadistic spheres like the Souls titles" but the difficulty is described als "between middle and high" O,o

i'm getting hard

Le12f.gif

Anteater

Yeah, I guess that's why the pax stream with the magic knight was killing everything in a few hits since they're just running around newbie area (probably can't show off other areas), and getting owned the next day.

They didn't mention anything about replay values did they :(

25hrs is kind of shorter than what itsuno promised! he said it would be hard to beat it in 30hrs!

and between mid and high sounds good enough, I'm sure if people want it harder they could probably adjust their pawns accordingly, as long as the base difficulty isn't extremely easy and broken.

Dyno

Finally got around to trying this. It's what a Souls game would be if it were a button masher. Not much strategy needed for both of the boss fights. I just strafed until I was at the beast's hindquarters and then just sawed away with light attack until it went down. After they fell down the first time it was pretty well a rape-fest, poor things.

It looked good though, and the PS3 ran smoother than I thought it would.

oSgT5.gif

Well, not excited about the install size, but...

Nice!

As if Capcom isn't lying about game length, map size etc etc. They're not just copying western games, but also the western marketing BS. What I hope is that the game is so good that I'll want to do all the side quests, and that I'll be craving new quest lines via DLC. When Dark Souls ended, I wanted more. Contrast that with Amalur, which marketing said had around 400-500 hours of content. I ate up all the quests in the early part of the game and then it became a huge slog that I had to force myself to finish.

As for the comments on the difficulty of the fights in the demo, I agree. You can buttonmash your way to victory far too easily in the demo, and it gives a really shitty impression of the game. Watching the videos however is a totally different beast. Pawns appear to be a necessity, as well as needing to implement proper strategies against bosses. And if I remember correctly, Capcom said the cap is 200 and there's no way to hit it the first time through. New Game + with even harder difficulty? Yes please.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

golden-girls-excited-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-626.gif

Derrick01

Banned
Finally got around to trying this. It's what a Souls game would be if it were a button masher. Not much strategy needed for both of the boss fights. I just strafed until I was at the beast's hindquarters and then just sawed away with light attack until it went down. After they fell down the first time it was pretty well a rape-fest, poor things.

To be fair that's exactly how I have killed the majority of the bosses that I've downed in Dark Souls so far. Block or back away when they attack and then get back behind them and slash when there's a chance. It hasn't exactly been a chess match of tactics.

Skilletor

As if Capcom isn't lying about game length, map size etc etc. They're not just copying western games, but also the western marketing BS. What I hope is that the game is so good that I'll want to do all the side quests, and that I'll be craving new quest lines via DLC. When Dark Souls ended, I wanted more. Contrast that with Amalur, which marketing said had around 400-500 hours of content. I ate up all the quests in the early part of the game and then it became a huge slog that I had to force myself to finish.

As for the comments on the difficulty of the fights in the demo, I agree. You can buttonmash your way to victory far too easily in the demo, and it gives a really shitty impression of the game. Watching the videos however is a totally different beast. Pawns appear to be a necessity, as well as needing to implement proper strategies against bosses. And if I remember correctly, Capcom said the cap is 200 and there's no way to hit it the first time through. New Game + with even harder difficulty? Yes please.

Do you have a link to a video where the player seems to be taking on an enemy that is challenging and not just an enemy he shouldn't be taking on yet?

Anybody that might have such footage would be great, since I doubt the validity of early previews saying it's challenging. Vids I've seen have featured little to no strategy and people just rushing in swords akimbo trying to take things down.

ironcreed

Banned

Sounds like what I wanted. Good deal.

lunchtoast

Played both quests last night, was pretty fun. I didn't mind the Pawns as much as others here. Gave me time to fuck around while they kept on fighting. I'll be sure to try no pawns tonight so I can use a bit of strategy.

Tex117

Banned
Contrast that with Amalur, which marketing said had around 400-500 hours of content. I ate up all the quests in the early part of the game and then it became a huge slog that I had to force myself to finish.
Im slogging through right now. Im glad I picked up the game, but its not particularly compelling after awhile and you get over the easy combat.

Im ready for Dragons Dogma...After the demo and the hope that it is what the developers and the preview of OXM said, then im getting it day 1.

Patryn

I think Capcom dropped this demo too early. After initially playing it I was HYPED. But I'm realizing now that we're still like three weeks away, and I'm less enthusiastic.

Aw, who am I kidding. I just want it NOW.

ironcreed

Banned
I think Capcom dropped this demo too early. After initially playing it I was HYPED. But I'm realizing now that we're still like three weeks away, and I'm less enthusiastic.

Aw, who am I kidding. I just want it NOW.

Yeah, I just stopped playing the demo in order to keep my excitement up. I want it to feel fresh when the game comes out.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, I can't see anything in this demo with all the crap on the screen (subtitles, button prompts). I know I can turn it off but a lot of the stuff was helpful for the demo outside of the fact that much of the screen was covered up so I couldn't see my character or the enemies. Is there any way to turn off the letter boxing? That pushes the HUD elements so far down that they're obscuring the action.

It looked good though, and the PS3 ran smoother than I thought it would.
Full Havel's
Iron Flesh
Two-handed Lightning Greataxe +5

In other words, leveling DONE RIGHT. FUCK YES. I am so tired of level scaling

I played the demo yesterday and I felt it was a bit chaotic. I mean it seems you're clearly overpowered and dealing with the enemies are quite easy, so you don't have to explore much about the combat system which seems quite cool. I mean I didn't used the shield in the prologue quest at all, and didn't have any problem, neither the game encourage to do so, since enemies are so easy....

Also IA pawns are quite dumb, no RE5/DR level of dumb, but they made some big mistakes. For a game that relies so much on the IA partners I hope it's just because it's an early version of the game.

So yeah, I think the demo was quite bad and that while there's potential I'll definetly wait for a price drop (also no RE6 demo on release on PS3 so even more reasons to wait)

Boss Man

No level scaling is great news. Do enemies spawn to your level initially or is everything in the game a set level, or range of levels? I miss the latter so much, it really adds to the excitement and accomplishment of exploring areas. No level scaling is good enough though.

I wonder what ended up preventing them from being able to implement the co-op aspect of this game. The pawn system seems good, but co-op definitely would have added a ton to the game. This appears to be a very lovingly crafted game with a lot of development time, so I'm glad that they decided to just get the game out there before it was too late. I'd love to see some DLC add co-op though, or at least have it in the next (hopefully!) title.

Either way, I'm very interested in the game and will probably be there as soon as I get the chance.

abundant

No level scaling is great news. Do enemies spawn to your level initially or is everything in the game a set level, or range of levels? I miss the latter so much, it really adds to the excitement and accomplishment of exploring areas. No level scaling is good enough though.

Everything is at a set level.

Hopefully it doesnt set the level of enemies based on the level you were at when you entered the area. Amalur made that mistake and it completely ruined an entire region of the game if you accidentally entered it too soon.

Jonm1010

Banned
Indeed, it is always nice to be able to return to earlier areas and actually feel like you have made some progress. Makes leveling up worth it, which is kind of the point.

Yeah pretty much. I absolutely loathe level scaling at this point.

Honestly its what killed my interest in Skyrim so quickly. Though it was definitely an improvement over Oblivion, though still not enough.

Top Bottom