• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini SNES - 160,000 available day 1 in France

Shiggy

That's what NintendoHome reports:
En France, 160 000 SNES Mini seront disponibles lors du lancement de la console.

https://twitter.com/NintendHOME/status/880076204245745665

For the Nintendo Classic Mini: NES they had shipped 84,000 units in total between launch and February 2017.

http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/articl...voir-la-nes-classic-mini_5073861_4408996.html

The Switch had 105,000 units available at launch:
http://www.lefigaro.fr/secteur/high...-bat-tous-les-records-de-ventes-en-france.php

Meanwhile, Amazon, Auchan, and FNAC have all sold out already.

cordy

Banned
Praying to the Nintendo Gods that they bestow us in America with a ridiculous amount. Congrats to France though if this is true. I hope you all enjoy one.

13ruce

Banned
This seems like a lot for just France. So here's hoping that the Netherlands will have a lot as well!

I hope so i just missed the wehkamp pre order today pffff..... i hope i don't miss the bol or nedgame one!

Otherwise Bartsmit and Intertoys open up pre orders 1 day before release nowadays, it's how i still got the Majora's Mask and TP Link Amiibo while it was sold out pre order wise everywhere else.

I have no doubt the number of launch units will be much higher than they were for NES Classic and I believe that will be the case on a global scale.

What I'm worried about is how often Nintendo plans on replenishing stock throughout the fall and holiday period.

Kouriozan

That's better, but the NES mini was so hard to find that in the end the SNES mini will also be constantly sold out.

Edit : meant at launch, people will be scared because of NES Mini = tons of pre-orders.

Zalman

Good sign. I still think they'll sell every single one they produce. They're going to make so much money this year.

Hopeford

Interesting...wonder if I should cancel my GAME preorder then. I'm in Canada and I'd much prefer an American SNES(it's my ugly abomination from childhood dammit), so if stock wouldn't be a problem I can always buy that one. Afraid of canceling that preorder though haha. Figure worst case scenario if I can get both I can always pass on the GAME one to someone here in gaf that couldn't get one in time.

syllogism

NES Classic was half that for most of its production run, not launch day.
The distributor of Nintendo products in Scandinavia has told retailers that based on their understanding there won't be additional shipments to Scandinavia after the launch. It's difficult to believe, but that's what articles on Nintendo.se, Nintendo.fi and Nintendo.no claim. Many retailers have already sold out that shipment. Nintendo strategy might be to sell out SNES mini before the holidays so that the focus can be on Switch.

Koren

NES Classic was half that for most of its production run, not launch day.
Yes, but since those never stayed online more than a couple hours, I can see a whole lot of those 160k directly sold as preorders, so that it never reach shelves in many places. Seeing how things turned out for NES (many didn't get one), I have no doubt that you'll get a huge preorder campaign.

Switch sold more than 250k in France, half of those at launch, it wasn't easy to find in stores at launch, and I would thing preorder numbers weren't as high as SNES Classic will be (if only because of scalpers).

What I'm worried about is how often Nintendo plans on replenishing stock throughout the fall and holiday period.
How about... never? It's a stretch, but I could see this being a one-shot.

Shiggy

The distributor of Nintendo products in Scandinavia has told retailers that based on their understanding there won't be additional shipments to Scandinavia after the launch. It's difficult to believe, but that's what articles on Nintendo.se, Nintendo.fi and Nintendo.no claim. Many retailers have already sold out that shipment.

Bergsala was also the first to tell retailers that the NCM: NES would be discontinued. So I wouldn't be surprised if there were indeed no post-launch shipments. Here's the link for those looking for it: https://www.nintendo.se/nyheter/505...ssic-mini-super-nintendo-entertainment-system

So what you're saying is they don't have the official clarity of the statement.

"Vi har från Bergsalas sida kommunicerat med alla våra återförsäljare så de vet exakt vilken volym de kommer att ha att tillgå och i nuläget finns ingen indikation på att vi kommer att få tillgång till fler konsoler i Sverige."

We at Bergsala have communicated with retailers so that they know exactly how many systems they are getting, and currently we have no indication that we are getting more systems in Sweden.

How about... never? It's a stretch, but I could see this being a one-shot.

Nah, I don't buy that. This wouldn't be launching in September if that were the case. They'd wait until November.

But hey, this is Nintendo we're talking about.....so, yeah. :(

Koren

Nah, I don't buy that. This wouldn't be launching in September if that were the case. They'd wait until November.

But hey, this is Nintendo we're talking about.....so, yeah. :(
Yeah... If they wanted the numbers, they could have brought more NES (hell, I'd buy two myself, and I know several people that couldn't get one).

I'm not sure they want SNES Classic to eat Switch sales, and I could see the whole thing being a "clever" trick to introduce a VC service on Switch.

Also, if they waited for november, I still believe you wouldn't find a single one in stores (even MORE if it launched in november) so that doesn't change much.

I believe they'll ship more. But if the total was 200k, I wouldn't be surprised.

The NES was testing the waters, now they want to cash in. Scalpers will cry.

It will not be enough, there is some crazy demand. Do people think amazon and co. sold only a few thousand exemplars when preorders were available? I would guess half of the stock is already gone, the rest on day one. It will probably be the same like with the NES Mini, or worse.

RedBoot

So, for the US: According to the NPD, the NES Classic sold 196k in November (launch month) in the US. So that's more or less the launch shipment.

France's launch shipment of the SNES is more than their lifetime allotment for the NES Classic.

I estimate the US's lifetime allotment for the NES Classic to be around 1.2 million. Reggie has said they sold 2.3 million NES Classics worldwide, assuming that includes the US and Europe but not Japan as the Famicom Classic may have been considered a separate product, 1.2m would be reasonable for the US.

Now, does that mean the SNES Classic's launch will be more than lifetime NES in the US, a la France? Probably not. I don't expect, say, 1.5m at launch. But we can at least assume it will be over the 200k NES launch number.

EDIT: I realize I was kind of using US numbers interchangeably with North American numbers (because I am a dumb American). The NPD numbers are just US, while my 1.2m estimate would include all of North America. No clue what kind of sales this saw in Canada and Mexico. The States likely get the majority of the shipment, though.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
So hopefully that means the US will get a little more then that, meaning they will sell out in 2 minutes rather then 30 seconds :/

f@luS

More than a member.
What was the price in amazon France ? Checked since yday missed it glad I have my german preorder.

mazillion

Double the amount still won't be enough for the US.
It's not just double. Remember we're comparing a day 1 shipment vs months of sales on the NES Mini. Gives them 3 months to continue allocating units there if needed. It's a good sign for sure

-GJ-

I hope so i just missed the wehkamp pre order today pffff..... i hope i don't miss the bol or nedgame one!

Otherwise Bartsmit and Intertoys open up pre orders 1 day before release nowadays, it's how i still got the Majora's Mask and TP Link Amiibo while it was sold out pre order wise everywhere else.

Intertoys already sold out this morning. They went up around 4 at night.

Top Bottom