• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: DirectX 12 Not a “Massive Change” For Xbox One

Metfanant

I love the spin being put on this over on the misterX blog...

"Sounds like a plant..Phil is just trying to keep things hidden"

"He means it won't be a massive change in how developers do things..so they won't have to relearn anything"

"He said unlock new features!! Insider vindicated!"

No lol... he plays three roles in the blog: Mr. X, Insider and Mr. Clean.

That's Mr C team! LoL, get it right!

I just live the characters over there..I mean first of all he couldn't be original enough to change up the usernames a little...

misterXmedia AND MisterCteam? On the same blog?...really?..

Mr C is my favorite though...dude just scoures the internet for any technology being worked on and types out bananas long posts attempting to prove how it's included in the Xbone...

Btw...did you know that the Xbone now has enough power to run Ryse in 1080/60 EASILY??

Kayant

I love the spin being put on this over on the misterX blog...

"Sounds like a plant..Phil is just trying to keep things hidden"

"He means it won't be a massive change in how developers do things..so they won't have to relearn anything"

"He said unlock new features!! Insider vindicated!"

Lmaoooo so 128mb Esram, dGPU, HSA and PC 2.0 architecture finally unlocked /s

Sentenza

I recall MisterXmedia convinced a somewhat popular youtuber that there was a fundamental design flaw in the PS4 networking set up that would cripple the machine graphically. That was solid gold. The guy lost subscribers and had to back pedal furiously afterwards. Puzzling why you'd go all in on such a implausible rumor.
Eh, honestly that's probably more a case of PS4 fanboys overreacting to someone badmouthing their console, rather than some rightful disdain toward him saying something that doesn't make any sense from a technical standpoint.

I can't believe I missed this thread earlier...

Phil's attitude has been amazing. Props to him. Honestly want to see what DX12 can do once it's out on PC. Only one year to go...

:(

Lmaoooo so 128mb Esram, dGPU, HSA and PC 2.0 architecture finally unlocked /s
To this day I don't even understand what that guy is trying to say when he talks about PC 2.0, wtf.

Fun fact: Mistercteam had an alt account of his recently banned from Beyond3D after he tried to convince them about all this crazy stuff he keeps "discovering", and being proven wrong over and over... The poor guy will never learn lol.

I just live the characters over there..I mean first of all he couldn't be original enough to change up the usernames a little...

misterXmedia AND MisterCteam? On the same blog?...really?..

To be honest, I'm pretty sure Mr X and mistercteam are indeed 2 different guys, since unlike mrX and his insider, they have a lot of writing differences.
I think cteam is from Indonesia, most of us already know X is Russian.

I can't believe I missed this thread earlier...

Phil's attitude has been amazing. Props to him. Honestly want to see what DX12 can do once it's out on PC. Only one year to go...

:(

To this day I don't even understand what that guy is trying to say when he talks about PC 2.0, wtf.

Fun fact: Mistercteam had an alt account of his recently banned from Beyond3D after he tried to convince them about all this crazy stuff he keeps "discovering", and being proven wrong over and over... The poor guy will never learn lol.

I'm honestly convinced he or his fans have a few accounts over there that form a sort of ladder to the full blown crazy of the blog. I regularly see new '<insertname>X' or 'X<insertname>' accounts but mostly they seem disappointed when the folks who really know there stuff over there shoot them down. Very few push it to the point of banning (always hilarious when they do though).

Yeah the new spin from teamX is that "he meant it's easy to get the MOAR POWAH without changing your dev process not that there isn't significant amounts of MOAR POWAH to be had". Honestly no day has been so bad that a wee visit to that place doesn't make me smile, it's worth it for the MS Paint diagrams if nothing else.

My favourite is the ongoing failure to understand that PCBs are built from multiple layers
of etching/acid washing and thus believing that the 'stacked' SoC/dGPU/magic-interchip-communicator-from-Mars-that-makes-it-Cloud-At-Home is there at all.

MaulerX

Love Phil for being transparent and upfront about this. There was never going to be a huge difference. Thou he sounds like there is some stuff in there that first party games might chance using vs 3rd party games.

Awntawn

I recall MisterXmedia convinced a somewhat popular youtuber that there was a fundamental design flaw in the PS4 networking set up that would cripple the machine graphically. That was solid gold. The guy lost subscribers and had to back pedal furiously afterwards. Puzzling why you'd go all in on such a implausible rumor.

omg, please more information about this XD

EGM1966

A good public stance to take. At this point NS really need to cool down the hyberbole and sound realistic and sensible and Spencer clearly gets that.

amardilo

I think it's interesting Phil Spencer mentions 1st party studios taking risks. Currently the big MS 1st party studios seem to be very set in their ways and working on established stuff

Turn 10 - Forza MotorSport
343 - Halo
Black Tusk - Gears of War
Rare - Kinect Sports
Lionhead - Fable
BigPark - Apps and Entertainment Stuff
Soho Productions - Apps

I know there are other studios like Twisted Pixel, Lift London, Team Dakota, Leap Experience Pioneers (LXP) and Press Play are off doing stuff but a lot of the big studios seem to be fixed on 1 thing.

To me it currently seems like they are taking bigger risks with 3rd parties on new IP or reviving old IP.

I hope that means they they have different AAA games they are working on in their internal studios.

EGM1966

I think it's interesting Phil Spencer mentions 1st party studios taking risks. Currently the big MS 1st party studios seem to be very set in their ways and working on established stuff

Turn 10 - Forza MotorSport
343 - Halo
Black Tusk - Gears of War
Rare - Kinect Sports
Lionhead - Fable
BigPark - Apps and Entertainment Stuff
Soho Productions - Apps

I know there are other studios like Twisted Pixel, Lift London, Team Dakota, Leap Experience Pioneers (LXP) and Press Play are off doing stuff but a lot of the big studios seem to be fixed on 1 thing.

To me it currently seems like they are taking bigger risks with 3rd parties on new IP or reviving old IP.

I hope that means they they have different AAA games they are working on in their internal studios.
TBH I took his comments to be both future looking and a tacit acknowledgement that MS 1st party has been too sequel centric and not mixing in enough experiments. Therefore I doubt we'll see the result for a while yet but I hope it means he's really looking at making some fundamental changes to their approach.

amardilo

TBH I took his comments to be both future looking and a tacit acknowledgement that MS 1st party has been too sequel centric and not mixing in enough experiments. Therefore I doubt we'll see the result for a while yet but I hope it means he's really looking at making some fundamental changes to their approach.

I hope that's what he means too and their studios are now looking to do something new.

I think that if someone like Spencer was at the helm from the outset, the value proposition might have been different. If they offered the current Xbox One offering that's bundled with Kinect but for $399 from launch, I think that even though the console isn't as powerful as the PS4 it would have been the better value proposition at the same price (less all the always-online, no-used-games Draconian DRM garbage, of course).
They would not have been able to offer the current XBO bundled with Kinect at $399 without losing a lot of money, but they could have done it with a different design.

XBO being less powerful than PS4 has nothing to do with MS/AMD engineers being stupid after all. It's less capable as a result of different priorities.

The higher ups wanted some Windows 8 powered, always online, Kinect enabled, DRM heavy media hub that allowed them to control the living room. Well, all that required more memory and the only way to be sure you would get that amount at launch was going with DDR3. Since DDR3 does not have enough bandwidth for heavy GPU tasks, their engineers had to create some workarounds, like the ESRAM, which left less room for the GPU.

Sony made their system primarily as a gaming machine this time and went with GDRR5, which ended up being the best move in every way since they got lucky and were able to match the same amount of memory as the XBO on top of offering better performance.

I'm sure if the higher ups at MS had not imposed all those decisions, their engineers would have gone the same route as Sony. With Kinect, they may have ended with a slower machine at a similar price as the PS4, but I don't think they would have included it in that scenario. Without Kinect, they may or may not have matched/surpassed Sony's machine at the same price, but the gap would have been far smaller either way. Too late for that now.

dr_rus

To get it almost directly in line with the PC. It will make porting almost trivial(assuming the game was developed with DX12 on the PC).
It's basically how it is right now when porting from PC D3D11 to XBO. So the only thing that will change is the XBO->PC porting process.

Top Bottom