• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

scarlet

Eh, disappointed with the nerfed. But 1600 dust, why not.

Who did you guys pick for Shanghai?

Was gonna pick Muzzy until ZealousD...

guys what year is it
QNN60gv.png

FDQ6qOn.png

1qydNAf.png

scarlet

Finally reached 5 with control priest. So happy, I don't play a lot this season, and I thought I wouldn't reached 5, and had no expectation, but I did it. I had winning streaks from 7 to 5. I won against secret mage, Gunther mage, control pally, quest warrior, 2 quest rogue which one of it was the final boss.

This is the hardest season for me so far, lost my motivation earlier this season, and stuck for a long time in rank 10-8.

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
Hey, I have a golden copy of that one too.. hmmmmm.

I find it super fun to play. So far I've won more than I have lost. Sure, some games are instant lose. But on the other hand, you can pull a rabbit out of the hat. I just beat a Mind Blast Priest by getting Priest w/Renounce. I was super lucky but the win was so very satisfying. He thought he had me beat. I got a Shadow Boxer, cast Velens x 2, doubled the health to make it 6/22, got Confuse to make it 22/6 then had a shadow power card for exact lethal. l was at 2 health when I won. lulz

Seems like the general consensus among competitive players I talk to think the nerf is to appease casuals. I can't argue with that.

I think because of the timing of the patch and the weird explanation, it's because they want the meta to have a little more room for slower control decks next expansion. But jade druid and miracle rogue exist, so not that much room imo.

Dahbomb

This nerf is definitely a "this feels bad to lose against so we nerfed it" ie. not fun and interactive. Lower level players get beat by this pretty badly because of their non optimized decks and they generally don't know how to play around it that well.

It is far more targeted towards the casual audience versus the competitive one.

Fewr

Probably not the super mega casual people like me. I've only had it twice since JtU started. I only get to rank 20 and my weak self made decks are not flashy at all.

I can see how it could appear more often in the next tier of casuals, from rank 20 to 15.

Blizzard

Banned
I can't imagine what it's going to be like after the quest rogue nerf.

Almost every loss tonight has been related to RNG draw or RNG card generation (discover or otherwise) in a control matchup. The latest was a 19-minute mage game where they just sat and roped.

19 minutes. I once could play 3 games in that time, and the reason I stopped playing games like League of Legends and CSGO was that Hearthstone let me actually finish matches in under 10 minutes. :(

scarlet

I said I was gonna craft Ysera months ago, and few Legendaries later I still haven't crafted her.

I wanted to craft one and put it on my control deck.

Blizzard

Banned
Phew. On the very last day of the season, I hit rank 10 after failing 4 promotion attempts.

Pirate warrior didn't work. Aggro druid didn't work. Midrange shaman didn't work. Midrange hunter didn't work. What finally worked was 67% winrate elemental pirate, and this is with only one blazecaller because I can't afford a second.

pirate6zrbsy.png

It's kind of fun so I think I'll try it again next season with 2 blazecallers. Admittedly I was lucky because I ran into maybe 2 quest rogues trying to play it before the nerf.

I must be doing something wrong because I lost 5 in a row with Jade Druid. Yes I ran into aggro decks, because my luck means PW instead of QW, but my other losses were because I couldn't ramp, ramped and ran out of cards, or a combination of both. One game went to fatigue which I handled by shuffling idols, and then the Priest used Mind Control. Sigh.

My deck list runs 1 pyro, tar creeper, no Fandral, 1 ancient of war, and no drake. I'm tempted to put Thalnos back in so Swipe can actually do something. Maybe cut the spirits too.

Pooya

lmao, they balance for reddit. This is probably the first balance patch that has no impact on the meta game whatsoever.

Now Kibler and his subs can play his shitty priest decks and lose slightly less than before. Nice job I guess.

Meanwhile fighting through 2x iceblock like in a 3rd of games while hoping they don't have it or don't randomly ass pull damage or more iceblocks is very fun and not at all limiting what you can play on ladder. Like freeze mage is crazy good right now, they nerf quest rogue instead. rofl.

They also killed one of the only two playable quests, the other one being one boring deck with infuriating coin flip games for both players. That is one successful new mechanic they introduced. gg

Q8D3vil

lmao, they balance for reddit. This is probably the first balance patch that has no impact on the meta game whatsoever.

Now Kibler and his subs can play his shitty priest decks and lose slightly less than before. Nice job I guess.

Meanwhile fighting through 2x iceblock like in a 3rd of games while hoping they don't have it or don't randomly ass pull damage or more iceblocks is very fun and not at all limiting what you can play on ladder. Like freeze mage is crazy good right now, they nerf quest rogue instead. rofl.

They also killed one of the only two playable quests, the other one being one boring deck with infuriating coin flip games for both players. That is one successful new mechanic they introduced. gg
dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

Us priest players dont have to deal with Mage bullshit :)

Ripenen

My only problem with quest rogue was that it felt extremely unbalanced compared to other quests. It would be fine as it was if the other quests were anywhere near as good.

Cockmagic

Neo Member
My only problem with quest rogue was that it felt extremely unbalanced compared to other quests. It would be fine as it was if the other quests were anywhere near as good.

Pretty much. Now the rogue quest will be on par (probably still better) than all the other quests.

This nerf is definitely a "this feels bad to lose against so we nerfed it" ie. not fun and interactive. Lower level players get beat by this pretty badly because of their non optimized decks and they generally don't know how to play around it that well.

It is far more targeted towards the casual audience versus the competitive one.

The whole issue with the deck is that you can't "play around" it. Either you have a deck that can race it or you don't. This is, of course, assuming that the rogue player is somewhat competent and doesn't throw all his minions into dragonfire potion or something like that.

Fewr

I share this opinion. The biggest failures in this expansion were quests and elementals I think.

Hybris

I agree that the nerf was not needed, but I am 100% sure it will have a pretty drastic impact on the ladder meta. I'm anticipating Jades will run wild, we will see slightly less mage and miracle rogue will take quest rogue's spot.

Beckx

help I'm still paralyzed deciding whether to craft Elise Trailblazer or Aya Blackpaw. I don't really have the pieces to run great competitive decks with either, but am probably closer to having good decks with Aya (for Elise it seems people only really run her in priest decks with Shadow Visions, Lyra, Dragonfire Potions, and Primordial Drakes, none of which I have). But she's so cool and the animations are great.

help I'm still paralyzed deciding whether to craft Elise Trailblazer or Aya Blackpaw. I don't really have the pieces to run great competitive decks with either, but am probably closer to having good decks with Aya (for Elise it seems people only really run her in priest decks with Shadow Visions, Lyra, Dragonfire Potions, and Primordial Drakes, none of which I have). But she's so cool and the animations are great.
Aya is immensely more powerful than Elise no brainer unless you just want fun. Aya doesn't require a whole lot of expensive cards ? I mean nzoth is good but aside from aya the jade packages are fairly cheap?

Edit: yeah if you're missing all those priest cards don't even consider Elise lol make aya those support cards you don't have are literally all epics, jade support is (mostly) common aside from aya

Beckx

Aya is immensely more powerful than Elise no brainer unless you just want fun. Aya doesn't require a whole lot of expensive cards ? I mean nzoth is good but aside from aya the jade packages are fairly cheap?

Edit: yeah if you're missing all those priest cards don't even consider Elise lol make aya those support cards you don't have are literally all epics, jade support is (mostly) common aside from aya

yeah, the only thing i'm really missing from a decent Aya shaman deck is Thing, which is great but I'm not challenging for Legend anyway so that's whatever (I doubt i'll ever even bother crafting them, OG rotates out early next year right?). I like both but I think since at worst Aya is like a "neutral Highmane" I should craft her. I need to hit the craft button and stop worrying about this.

Q8D3vil

yeah, the only thing i'm really missing from a decent Aya shaman deck is Thing, which is great but I'm not challenging for Legend anyway so that's whatever (I doubt i'll ever even bother crafting them, OG rotates out early next year right?). I like both but I think since at worst Aya is like a "neutral Highmane" I should craft her. I need to hit the craft button and stop worrying about this.
Aya is god tier legendary in the current token shaman/Jade shaman, it give you instant value and her deathrattle means you will always get value if the opponent AOE your board.

Elise on the hand is my favorite legendary this set, but its slow as hell and only viable in priest thanks to shadow vision.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Aya is god tier legendary in the current token shaman/Jade shaman, it give you instant value and her deathrattle means you will always get value if the opponent AOE your board.

Elise on the hand is my favorite legendary this set, but its slow as hell and only viable in priest thanks to shadow vision.

Aya is the reason I play 2x Polymorph now. Just the only way I even have a chance is to Polymorph those and go face from turn 1.

Someone above mentioned having trouble with Mage and running into them all the time. Are you running Eater? Or if the "all the time" thing is so, 2x Eater. It's sometimes auto-win against Mage decks. Then again I never know what Rank or even type people when they post so that might make the above advice meaningless.

I'm at Rank 7 in standard and play vs. Mage maybe 1/10 matches, but I dunno maybe Blizzard algorithm discourages mirror. Seeing lots of Priest and Druid rn. About half of my matches are against one of those two. Been on an eight-match win streak since I switched to the Curator build and teched in Polymorph, so that's nice. Almost just want to bail out here before going on the inevitable slide. (I'm not that good a player since I barely know what other decks have (like literally I get Warrior and Paladin cards confused) -- I know Mage crazy well since I've been playing it since the game launched, but hadn't played in three years until last week so my knowledge of opponent decks is pathetically bad.)

Blizzard

Banned
Aya is the reason I play 2x Polymorph now. Just the only way I even have a chance is to Polymorph those and go face from turn 1.

Someone above mentioned having trouble with Mage and running into them all the time. Are you running Eater? Or if the "all the time" thing is so, 2x Eater. It's sometimes auto-win against Mage decks. Then again I never know what Rank or even type people when they post so that might make the above advice meaningless.

I'm at Rank 7 in standard and play vs. Mage maybe 1/10 matches, but I dunno maybe Blizzard algorithm discourages mirror. Seeing lots of Priest and Druid rn. About half of my matches are against one of those two. Been on an eight-match win streak since I switched to the Curator build and teched in Polymorph, so that's nice. Almost just want to bail out here before going on the inevitable slide. (I'm not that good a player since I barely know what other decks have (like literally I get Warrior and Paladin cards confused) -- I know Mage crazy well since I've been playing it since the game launched, but hadn't played in three years until last week so my knowledge of opponent decks is pathetically bad.)
I used to run Eater of Secrets in Pirate Warrior though I think I was advised against it.

Recently I typically see 33% or more mage opponents according to the hearthstone deck tracker, though I've actually won the last few matchups even without Eater of Secrets.

I do wonder if Blizzard's ranked algorithms take into account decks, deck experience, and card ownership. I've been rank 15-10 this season and though I know the common sentiment is that only wins and losses determine rank and everything else is completely random, I'm not 100% convinced.

wiibomb

these couple of weeks have been really weird, there have been several news. There's even a stream tomorrow just for the balance changes.

but well, the announcement is pretty much on time to what I was thinking

Top Bottom