• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Learning Japanese |OT| ..honor and shame are huge parts of it. Let's!

Snow

Not yet, the only forums I read were neogaf and the learn Japanese subreddit (which isn't that interesting)... :(
Same here. Been filling a decent amount of time over the last few months with Japanese and this is one of the communities I really like, even though I mostly lurk. After reading the statements here and on waypoint, don't think I'm comfortable hanging out in this place anymore though.. (and regardless of my comfort level, feels like this place might not be long for this world anyways) Don't feel like making a big flame out post, but probably gonna be my last post in this place.

...man, my account is 12 years old, and I remember lurking on the old gaming age forums even before that. Peace gaf. You had some pretty cool communities and are one of the few gaming related places that's not a complete dumpster fire. Shame about the creepy guy who owns it all.

Porcile

Thanks to whoever put this in Off Topic Community.

For those interested, there is a Learning Japanese Discord going right now. Quote for link.

I'm not too interested in private chats and things like this but I may join the Discord if it's anonymous? Can admins see my email? Before eveything goes belly up I suggest someone archive the OP and I'm an expert's long posts from the previous thread because they were very useful.

Do you guys even want me there? lol

Alanae

I'm not too interested in private chats and things like this but I may join the Discord if it's anonymous? Can admins see my email? Before eveything goes belly up I suggest someone archive the OP and I'm an expert's long posts from the previous thread because they were very useful.

Do you guys even want me there? lol

Please join in.
if you've made an account you can tell me the username and i'll invite you in.

Oare

Thanks to whoever put this in Off Topic Community.

For those interested, there is a Learning Japanese Discord going right now. Quote for link.

The link seems to have expired unfortunately. I'd be interested in joining, even though I'm not the most prolific poster by far...

Alanae

The link seems to have expired unfortunately. I'd be interested in joining, even though I'm not the most prolific poster by far...
このポーストを引用してください

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If anyone needs any Japanese support, I am always on duty to support.

NahaNago

Interesting thread will go back and read through everything, since i plan to restart learning Japanese for the umpteenth time as my new years resolution.

NahaNago

there is definitely a shit ton of good content in this thread should you go back and read everything.

I will probably later today and take notes on things that peak my interest.

edit : My reply sounds like complete douchebaggery. So my edit to my reply is I will probably read it later today and take some notes for references.

Porcile

It's a good post but a little unreasonable. Use it as motivation to know what's possible when it comes to learning something.

NahaNago

It's a good post but a little unreasonable. Use it as motivation to know what's possible when it comes to learning something.

i was going to lower my requirements a little since learning Japanese is not the only thing i plan on learning/pursuing in the next few months

Nakho

Get on my level and read the old topic we have. The whole thing.

Don't, lol. There is a post from Porcile (?) here that picks the best ones from the old topic.

NahaNago

Get on my level and read the old topic we have. The whole thing.

Don't, lol. There is a post from Porcile (?) here that picks the best ones from the old topic.

I'm going to have to look for it well i'm on page 17 so far. I really need to pick up the pace

Nakho

ロキー;253014251 said:
Can anyone recommend any supplementary Kanji books to go along with Genki I? Is RTK good?

The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Course is really good. Look for posts from Beckx, he is using it, iirc.

PaulBizkit

First time doing the noryoku shiken, man those audios were tricky...

Btw just did the JLPT4, and it wasn't as stressfull as i thought. Anybody else did the exam today?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Been trying to teach myself Japanese proper for the past decade. While I can have some decent conversation, my reading skills are almost zilch. Kanji is very difficult for me to memorize and associate the various terms each symbolizes.

Porcile

Do you live in Japan?

Edit - pointless question to be honest, but I guess your brain would change if you had to read it all the time. That's how it is for me.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Do you live in Japan?

Edit - pointless question to be honest, but I guess your brain would change if you had to read it all the time. That's how it is for me.

Nah, I currently reside in the Midwest of America. I try to dedicate 30 minutes a day to memorizing Kanji, but it is slow going.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Learn to write them is all I can say. That really helps.

That is what I did with Hiragana/Katakana. My major issue is that a single kanji can have anywhere between 2 or more different meanings, depending on where it is used or the context of which it is used. It is slow going, but I am hoping to improve.

Sakura

That is what I did with Hiragana/Katakana. My major issue is that a single kanji can have anywhere between 2 or more different meanings, depending on where it is used or the context of which it is used. It is slow going, but I am hoping to improve.
I used to read visual novels all day everyday in Japanese. It's slow going at first, but eventually you start to remember readings and things slowly click into place.
Can't write kanji for shit though.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I used to read visual novels all day everyday in Japanese. It's slow going at first, but eventually you start to remember readings and things slowly click into place.
Can't write kanji for shit though.

How did you manage? A lot of the novels/visual novels I see use a ton of Kanji. How did you begin to figure out what each symbol meant in that context?

Porcile

Weird question. You use a dictionary, mate. And also you aren't reading the meaning of symbols. You're reading what it says in Japanese. 自転車 doesn't mean self revolving car. It says jitensha and that means bike.

Last edited:

Sakura

How did you manage? A lot of the novels/visual novels I see use a ton of Kanji. How did you begin to figure out what each symbol meant in that context?
I used a text hooker so I could look up kanji I didn't know. Eventually you'll understand more and more, and your reading speed will improve.
As for context... I mean, consider the English word free. I can think of three meanings off the top of my head. Sugar free, free trial, free the people. All three of those uses have different meanings, no sugar, something that doesn't cost money, and liberation, even though they all use the same word. Just like a single kanji can have multiple meanings depending on context, so can English words.
A kid doesn't learn English because he feverishly studied a textbook and brute force memorised thousands of words and all their meanings. He trials and errors it. He listens to it every day, tries speaking it every day, every time there is a word he doesn't understand he asks his mom what it means. A kid spends thousands of hours 'using' English. Learning Japanese isn't any different in my opinion. The best way to get a grasp of the language is to use it. Whether it be passively (reading visual novels, watching anime) or actively (speaking, writing). This seems really daunting at first. You boot up a visual novel, and every sentence is filled with kanji and words you don't know. You have to find the meaning for each word. You have to think about the context. Even if it doesn't immediately click, you'll see the same words used over and over again as you read, in different sentence structures and contexts. Eventually more and more will start to click. You'll notice for example that the kanji 無 in a compound negates the thing after it, like 無料 vs 有料, or 無限 vs 有限. Then maybe you will come across the word 無意味, which you haven't seen before. But you already know what 意味 means, and what 無 means, so you'll have no need to look up the word and just get it. This is why I say it is a slow process. Sorry for my poor explanation.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Why the fuck are you still posting here Porcile. How are you not an adult with a normal fucking email yet. Please stop milking the alt bullshit and get a real job.

Also moshi moshi everyone.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Why the fuck are you still posting here Porcile. How are you not an adult with a normal fucking email yet. Please stop milking the alt bullshit and get a real job.

Also moshi moshi everyone.

For the avoidance of doubt is there an inside joke I am missing here?

Porcile

For the avoidance of doubt is there an inside joke I am missing here?

He's an expert on Japanese culture and has a Rolex so it's all good.

Once I get over my depression of living here I'll go to ResetERA and join the love-in.

Last edited:

Porcile

Remember when I'm an expert pretended to be a poverty stricken Eastern European dude who emigrated to America with his family, passed JLPT N1 in three months aged 18, and then became a multi-millionaire in Japan, married to a hot wife he met while she was working in a host club, and then making a couple more million in cryptocurrency because of course he did, he's an expert.

And then when he joined ResetERA he pretended to be a black lawyer living in Toyko, for some reason defending all that blackface stuff on Japanese TV, And then after his cover was blown pretended to be abused as a child in order to defend 6ix9ine, ultimately being permabanned.

One of the great internet heroes. RIP.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Remember when I'm an expert pretended to be a poverty stricken Eastern European dude who emigrated to America with his family, passed JLPT N1 in three months aged 18, and then became a multi-millionaire in Japan, married to a hot wife he met while she was working in a host club, and then making a couple more million in cryptocurrency because of course he did, he's an expert.

And then when he joined ResetERA he pretended to be a black lawyer living in Toyko, for some reason defending all that blackface stuff on Japanese TV, And then after his cover was blown pretended to be abused as a child in order to defend 6ix9ine, ultimately being permabanned.

One of the great internet heroes. RIP.

Wait, what? Did you ever find out what/who he really was? I always thought the European immigrant thing was real.

Last edited by a moderator:

Porcile

Wait, what? Did you ever find out what/who he really was? I always thought the European immigrant thing was real.

I have no idea and have no interest in knowing who he really is, but if there was any truth about what he was saying then it was certainly exaggerated. The rest was most certainly made up. I have no idea why he was so heavily interested in Japanese, but basically when you put all of the things he said across GAF, Discord and ResetERA he just came across as a weird Patrick Bateman-esque sociopath. A multi-millionaire lawyer/businessman living in Japan, posting daily (hourly) on GAF about Japan and Japanese, playing MOBA games the rest of the time. Nothing about his supposed life was realistic at all.

Here are the posts of his seriously pretending to be a black guy after his weak shit is called out. He got away with that one for some reason:

Look at the last posts he ever made on ResetERA. He was permabanned after being caught in an argument about sexual abuse. Again resorting to an aspect of his life to justify his lame defence of Tekashi69.

Basically, unless you have some actual evidence to the contrary, after all the shit he pulled are you really gonna believe he was a black European immigrant raised from poverty? Pretty much everything he ever wrote about his "life" was usually used to justify something antagonising he wrote to another member. Besides, he made numerous hints that what he was posting wasn't actually true, and just part of his troll persona, which he was weirdly invested in maintaining. The dude was entertaining and sometimes motivating but only for the purposes of maintaining his internet ruse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom