• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 JP thread (omg)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
RARRR!!!
rk want P3. ><
Then again maybe I should complete the first ones.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
RevenantKioku said:
RARRR!!!
rk want P3. ><

I hate you for having the option of completing the old ones :(

duckroll

Zalasta said:
So are you automatically kicked out of the dungeon at the end of the night? I don't suppose you know this yet, but I wonder if you can skip the earlier parts/floors of Tataros as your characters become more powerful, because I assume the difficulty of the monsters stays the same (or maybe if you finished a floor, it remains clear the next time you enter).

I'm disappointed, can't believe you died already 3 hours in! Weak sauce!

There's no "end of the night" because the Tataros appears in Shadow Time (Darkness) which is the time that appears at midnight and cannot be seen or felt by normal people. So in reality no time really passes. The night ends when you leave the Tataros, as in you're ready to move on to the next day or you're out of items and healing to continue. It's REALLY a dungeon crawler. And I'm sorry I died, I suck. :(

Note: For those hard of hearing or requiring subtitles, this is similar to Grandia III in that all movies have NO subtitles. You can't toggle them on either. Sorry. :(

MrDaravon

duckroll said:
Note: For those hard of hearing or requiring subtitles, this is similar to Grandia III in that all movies have NO subtitles. You can't toggle them on either. Sorry. :(

God that is ****ed up. Scratch off another title my fiance really wanted to play :(

demi

I think people are going to come off disappointed with this, all style no substance

That battle system sounds really unappealing

demi

It's a boring dungeon crawler like Azure Dreams from what duckroll just talked about

WHO LIKED AZURE DREAMS

LIKE, ONE PERSON, AND THEY HAVE WORST TASTE THAN ME AHEM TAO'S ADVENTURE

Srider

Banned
I had to get some sleep...

The thing about the dungeon (I didn't give the name or description cause I didn't want to give it away) is that your characters have a stamina status (only discernable by a smiling or sad face). After a certain amount of time in the dungeon, they will become tired, and you are basically kind of screwed if all your party members are tired.

The AI is fairly predictable, they will heal if low on health, and makes full use of their available HP or SP for special skills. Whether or not that's a good thing is up for debate. You can issue command to them during dungeon crawling to split up and look for a teleporter out of the dungeon. If they are tired or low on health, there is a chance they will get in trouble if the party is split up.

I'm pretty sure every floor has a teleporter back to the entrance of the dungeon. Like duckroll said, it's completely random. Each floor is not big at all, but your characters gets tired rather quickly at the beginning of the game.

The whole leveling up experience is split between night time and day time. During the day time, you play a dating sim like framework with the main character to level up his personal stats. In the dungeon, you level up your persona through battles. You can combine and mix two or three personas to create new ones.

This game is definitely not your typical JRPG, it has alot of unique gameplay elements which may be a big turnoff for people. I personally think it's rather interesting thus far, although I'm not sure if I fully enjoy the day time elements. Seems like a chore. I also wish you can spend more time in the dungeon, but I'm sure that will be achievable as I progress.

Brobzoid

****, i hate games without subtitles... **** you fire leo. the entire cast of VJ actually, such great dialog lost cus nobody wanted to type it out... >:|

this is looking grimm. someone upload some vids of some tower-crawling!

edit; **** the entire RD1 team if my team-mates are rabid mana abusers and cancel out any strategy in the game by spamming the strongest attack at their disposal >:[

demi said:
I think people are going to come off disappointed with this, all style no substance

That battle system sounds really unappealing

Sounds like theres a chance that character relationships outside battle affect AI actions in battle, at least thats what i gather from the videos and impressions so far.....but i could be wrong...

duckroll yay or nay?

if yay, i can see the "community" system being really fun to mess with, especially once you find favorite characters.

MrDaravon

demi said:
It's a boring dungeon crawler like Azure Dreams from what duckroll just talked about

WHO LIKED AZURE DREAMS

LIKE, ONE PERSON, AND THEY HAVE WORST TASTE THAN ME AHEM TAO'S ADVENTURE

It sounds like Azure Dreams meets Persona which is COOL.

I like Azure Dreams, and I know quite a few people on here who did. There's no way in hell you can be suggesting that Tao's Adventure is better than Azure Dreams though, that's crazy talk.

ugh... only being able to control your party leader is really bullshit. hopefully new characters that you cna control pop up but it doesnt sound like that.

still really excited but that was one thing i was worried about. oh well... media blackout time maybe :b

Zalasta

I see, so while there's no time restriction, you are still limited to how long you can spent inside the dungeon as dictated by your fatigue meter. Hopefully you can increase that as the game progresses, allowing you to stay longer.

Not sure how NA players will receive the day time aspect. Having played simulation and micromanaging types of games before, I'm no stranger to it and actually welcome the change of pace.

demi

I'm more interested in Silmeria now, as well

*scratches Persona 3 off his list*

I didn't care for Nocturne anyway

Srider

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
Sounds like theres a chance that character relationships outside battle affect AI actions in battle, at least thats what i gather from the videos and impressions so far.....but i could be wrong...

duckroll yay or nay?

if yay, i can see the "community" system being really fun to mess with, especially once you find favorite characters.

The community system.... It's a fairly generic system. You create/join a community in the day time, which in game is basically the equivalent of an afterschool activity club. When you fight with members of the same community, you level up in that department. It's supposed to make your party stronger, but if you can't control your party members, I don't see the real benefit to this, since it doesn't directly affect how you play the game.

demi said:
I'm more interested in Silmeria now, as well

*scratches Persona 3 off his list*

I didn't care for Nocturne anyway

As I said, the dungeons and battle system just wasn't looking good, so I was skeptical about this.

Seems I was right.

Oh well - VP2 and XS3 are still high on the list.

Srider said:
The community system.... It's a fairly generic system. You create/join a community in the day time, which in game is basically the equivalent of an afterschool activity club. When you fight with members of the same community, you level up in that department. It's supposed to make your party stronger, but if you can't control your party members, I don't see the real benefit to this, since it doesn't directly affect how you play the game.

Does it affect their reactions to you though? like, if you are in good standing with a character are they more likely to heal you faster, etc?

Brobzoid

can anyone how has the game tell me if there is any layer of strategy involved in combat, when your party members are uncontrolable. do they grasp the consept of weaknesses? do they use ice attacks on pyro jack for instance. Do they use buffs? are you able to force them to skip their turn ect? can you force them to do anything/can you issue commands or priorites on attacks?

Srider

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
Does it affect their reactions to you though? like, if you are in good standing with a character are they more likely to heal you faster, etc?

AI is already pretty good about those kinds of stuff. I'm sure lvl'ing up will gain some kind of advantage, but so far I haven't been able to see what difference it has made. I think it may open up new abilities later on.

Brobzoid: So far you can't control your party members in anyway.

Brobzoid

someone mentioned that you can split up the party in the tower, if a friend dies; do you have to collect him or do you get tossed out off the tower? or can't your team mates die when going alone?

Brobzoid

this game will be known as "the newest game that deprives children and makes them kill themselves to mimic their digital heroes"

Brobzoid said:
this game will be known as "the newest game that deprives children and makes them kill themselves to mimic their digital heroes"

considering it will probably ship 300k or less, i'm doubting it will be a big target for he we do not speak of. the media is mostly only concerned with titles 13yo's are actually asking their parents for.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RevenantKioku said:
RARRR!!!
rk want P3. ><

Hey RK, I thought you were a hardcore RPG fan. How did you miss out on Persona games?! :p

I'm picking my copy up tomorrow before work. I will give my impressions tomorrow night, Japan time.

maskrider

I haven't played any Persona games, only SMT:NM and DDS1/2, anyone care to list/explain the differences of P3 and the others ?

I like the screens that I've seen before but I don't know how it plays. I haven't bought any games these days because I was so busy with my life supporting jobs, but the ones that worth will be seriously considered.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
maskrider said:
I haven't played any Persona games, only SMT:NM and DDS1/2, anyone care to list/explain the differences of P3 and the others ?

I like the screens that I've seen before but I don't know how it plays.

Persona 3, as far as I know, is a completely different game from the other Persona games. Persona has always been a SMT game that focused more on character development than anything else. P3 seems to follow suit, but accomplishes its goal in an entirely different way.

Persona games, before, were not broken up between dungeon crawling and a high school sim. It was more traditional in its RPG structure.

duckroll

Srider said:

The thing about communities is that they are more to so with the school life sim part of the game than the dungeon part of the game. It's about building up relationships with different friends around the school and finding out more about what they like and dislike and hanging out with them. Although, if you do build them up to certain levels, you gain new Persona.

Also, there's a "tactics" option in battles where you can change the basic settings of your party members. You can make them attack a certain enemy, or put them into total passive healing modes. You still can't control exactly what they do though.

Edit: This game is REALLY excellent for the dungeon crawling/SMT/non-linear gameplay crowd but I suspect the normal JRPG crowd will really hate it. I would compare it to VP1 in terms of non-linearity in that every day after you do a major activity after school of your choice it turns to night, and it's up to you if you want to tackle the Tataros that night, or if you want to sleep/study. And every day it goes on and on at a pace that the player sets for themselves. I expect tons of "OMG NO PLOT, OMG SHITTY DUNGEON, OMG WTF IS THIS" reactions when it hits the US. :lol

maskrider

TheTrin said:
Persona 3, as far as I know, is a completely different game from the other Persona games. Persona has always been a SMT game that focused more on character development than anything else. P3 seems to follow suit, but accomplishes its goal in an entirely different way.

Persona games, before, were not broken up between dungeon crawling and a high school sim. It was more traditional in its RPG structure.

Thanks.

I saw the store keeper playing the game today and think that it is rather interesting, but held off because I don't have much time playing games.

I might give it a try and see if I like it.

duckroll said:
Also, there's a "tactics" option in battles where you can change the basic settings of your party members. You can make them attack a certain enemy, or put them into total passive healing modes. You still can't control exactly what they do though.

is this dynamic? in otherwords, can i change this every turn, like if you put your DQVIII party on in commands... also, can i set the AI as they explore on their own to do things such as conserve mana or use healing items instead of spells? the only thing thats got me discouraged so far is not having control over my party. i'll take all the control i can get :D

oh, and can your party gain/fuse new persona? from previews i was under the impression they each only have a static persona.

how does character recruitment play out? (if you are far enough in) i imagine/hope for having lots of optional characters that you have to go out of your way to meet in school. kinda pushing yourself out of your pre-deterimined social circle... school elements seem so ****ing cool :b

MoxManiac

duckroll said:
The thing about communities is that they are more to so with the school life sim part of the game than the dungeon part of the game. It's about building up relationships with different friends around the school and finding out more about what they like and dislike and hanging out with them. Although, if you do build them up to certain levels, you gain new Persona.

Edit: This game is REALLY excellent for the dungeon crawling/SMT/non-linear gameplay crowd but I suspect the normal JRPG crowd will really hate it. I would compare it to VP1 in terms of non-linearity in that every day after you do a major activity after school of your choice it turns to night, and it's up to you if you want to tackle the Tataros that night, or if you want to sleep/study. And every day it goes on and on at a pace that the player sets for themselves. I expect tons of "OMG NO PLOT, OMG SHITTY DUNGEON, OMG WTF IS THIS" reactions when it hits the US. :lol

Awesome. I'm still concerned about the school aspect, because well, I hate school, I hate friends, I hate everyone. etc

thetrin

MoxManiac said:
Awesome. I'm still concerned about the school aspect, because well, I hate school, I hate friends, I hate everyone. etc

Thus the reason you play video games. It all makes sense now.

duckroll

meltpotato said:
is this dynamic? in otherwords, can i change this every turn, like if you put your DQVIII party on in commands... also, can i set the AI as they explore on their own to do things such as conserve mana or use healing items instead of spells? the only thing thats got me discouraged so far is not having control over my party. i'll take all the control i can get :D

Yes you can change it every turn, it's part of the commands you can pick from in the menu before turns. When they're exploring you don't need to worry much about AI, they're usually good about just running around until they find treasure or the exit. If they get into an encounter you just see them bashing the enemy if you there and you can bash the enemy too to actually initiate an encounter. If not... they'll probably win on their own anywy but lose HP.

oh, and can your party gain/fuse new persona? from previews i was under the impression they each only have a static persona.

Good question.... I wonder myself. :)

how does character recruitment play out? (if you are far enough in) i imagine/hope for having lots of optional characters that you have to go out of your way to meet in school. kinda pushing yourself out of your pre-deterimined social circle... school elements seem so ****ing cool :b

Errr, I don't think you can actually recruit characters. The people that can use Personas are a very unique few that are story based. You probably get more party members as the game calander progresses, and more events happen.

MoxManiac said:

Then I think you're ****ed as far as extra Persona go... but you can still skip everything else and just go to the mall to pick up new equipment after school, and then go dungeon crawl at night. Too bad you hate everyone though, maybe you should channel that hate to kill more Shadows. :lol

MoxManiac

Well, we'll see. In all seriousness, I tend not to like elements in RPGs that don't involve busting monsters' heads or micromanaging the shit out of my characters' ability to bust said heads.

TheTrin said:
Thus the reason you play video games. It all makes sense now.

I like you though!

I'm going to kill you while you sleep

thetrin

MoxManiac said:
Well, we'll see. In all seriousness, I tend not to like elements in RPGs that don't involve busting monsters' heads or micromanaging the shit out of my characters' ability to bust said heads.

I like you though!

I'm going to kill you while you sleep

Why do you have to tell me that at 3am? :(

Srider

Banned
I simply hate the fact that you can get tired. There is no meter whatsoever that gives any indication of how close you are to being tired. If you are tired, you have to rest an extra day before you can go back to explore the dungeon. There is a chance that you can catch a cold too, which elongates the delay.....

Anyways, this game plays much more like a dating sim than a RPG.

duckroll said:
That's true! It really, really feels like Tokimeki Memorial at times, which is really awesome. :D

rollercoaster.gif

Srider

Banned
duckroll said:
That's true! It really, really feels like Tokimeki Memorial at times, which is really awesome. :D

Simply for the fact that you spent more time talking and running around town trying to build up stat than the short 10 mins of dungeon crawling each day....

You can barely explore two floors before your party is completely exhausted...

duckroll

meltpotato said:

Erm, it's a compliment. Tokimemo games are excellent school life sims. The fact that Persona 3 can emulate even a fraction of it is very commendable. Have you played any? :p

Srider said:
Simply for the fact that you spent more time talking and running around town trying to build up stat than the short 10 mins of dungeon crawling each day....

You can barely explore two floors before your party is completely exhausted...

Huh? I'm not sure how you're playing. But I've only spent 3 days in the dungeon and I'm already on the 10th floor. You can still play on if your party is exhausted you know, it's just that if you use a teleporter they'll go home to sleep. The system's very much like any dungeon crawler which encourages you to keep going as long as you can survive. ^^;

Srider

Banned
I think when you actually play the games, famitsu scores are pretty accurate... This game is not what I expected it to be, above average at best. I'll give it more time though.

Top Bottom