• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bizarre Creations say goodbye 1994-2011

V_Ben

Banned
theignoramus said:
Dont they live near Sony's Liverpool studios? Crytek UK? surely someone can scoop up a few of employees.

I'm sure they're all currently finding re-employment at various places. Whoever picks up their UI guy is extremely smart.

I'm amazed that MS didn't end up picking them up (although I suppose they feel they already have Turn10). This is yet another huge blow for the UK games industry.

Probably a great time to set up a new studio in the Liverpool area though, there should be plenty of talent around after this and the cuts at Sony.

ElFly

Lyphen said:
Perfect example of what's wrong with publishing games. Studios owning creative rights to everything sucks ass, and Microsoft letting Bizarre go without PGR was just a jerk move.

While it is true that publishers owning the rights to games instead of developers is bad, I really doubt there's a lot of value in the PGR franchise.

Anyone can make a new racing-game-with-licensed-cars, provided enough money. And without the money for the licensed cars, well, the game series name alone isn't worth much.

V_Ben said:
Sumo Digital are a great racing studio, and this will only make them better. Glad to see he found re-employment so quickly.
A good mix, sumo have shown us that they can make good racers and now they have some bizarre love in the mix.

V_Ben

Banned
Diablohead said:
A good mix, sumo have shown us that they can make good racers and now they have some bizarre love in the mix.

That sentence sounds dirtier than you likely intended it to :p

But yes, some Bizarre talent in the mix should work wonders.

I still with that Bizarre would reform under the moniker "Strange Critters" :p

I can only say good thing about the guys at Bizarre... by the way it's a shame, they flop hard (also conceptually) with The Club and Blur, but MSR/PGR is the best racing series of all time.

PGR4 is THE GAME

Linkified

V_Ben said:
Sumo Digital are a great racing studio, and this will only make them better. Glad to see he found re-employment so quickly.

The last 3 games they made were DeadSpace Ignition, Sonic Kart Racers and Superstar Tennis right?

I have to say I would of Eutechnyx would of got the designer from PGR

V_Ben

Banned
Linkified said:
The last 3 games they made were DeadSpace Ignition, Sonic Kart Racers and Superstar Tennis right?

I thought they brought Outrun Online Arcade to PSN/XBLA too :)

But yeah, they make great RACING games. Their other output... is slightly more suspect at times.

One of Sumo's first games was Outrun 2 for the original Xbox. Amazing game, better-looking than its successor, and a great online community.

Sumo are a great team. Their port work on Outrun 2 for Xbox as well as the Coast 2 Coast 2006 version on Xbox, PS2 and PSP was very impressive. As was their 1080p, 60fps port of Virtua Tennis 3 for 360.

Sonic and Sega All Star Racing as well as SuperStar Tennis are great games that pay a lot of attention to the cool fan service old school Sega fans want to see. I wonder what they're working on right now, because they've stopped talking about future projects for the moment. They've been quiet for a while, but I guess they might be planning another racer of some kind to hire the lead designer of PGR and Blur.

http://www.sumo-digital.com/games/

Lot's of racing games, but no future projects.... interesting.

Linkified said:

seems like they hired some of bizarre to work on their nascar series ?

Wait, are you hiring people for NASCAR? Do Activision know?! ;)

-

Yes and Yes ;-) Really sad to be there though on the day they closed Bizarre Creations down.

http://twitter.com/DarrenJobling

Shaneus

"Several publishers" = MGS?
"Potential projects" = PGR5?!?

Whatever the outcome, it's good that they've banded together so damn quickly and have a few things on the table. I'd wager they were probably thinking about this long before they were officially closed.

Great news for the now-Lucid guys. Hopefully they can continue on with what they started at Bizarre.

PS. Best thread bump ever.

PPS. Someone at Eurogamer thought the same thing: "Publisher: Microsoft. Project: PGR5. Thanks."

Mungular

and my hate for activision continues. such a good developer. i know someone will take them. you'd be pretty dumb not too. i mean look at that lineup!

Vormund

Momo said:
I don't like the new name :(

shoulda called themselves zibarre :(

Apparently they had thought of the name "Weird Concepts" before putting it through MS words thesaurus and coming up with Bizarre Creations.

Would have been nice if they used that.

TheOddOne

Shaneus said:
"Several publishers" = MGS?
"Potential projects" = PGR5?!?

Whatever the outcome, it's good that they've banded together so damn quickly and have a few things on the table. I'd wager they were probably thinking about this long before they were officially closed.

Great news for the now-Lucid guys. Hopefully they can continue on with what they started at Bizarre.

PS. Best thread bump ever.

PPS. Someone at Eurogamer thought the same thing: "Publisher: Microsoft. Project: PGR5. Thanks."
EA. Sock 'em to 'em.

Shaneus

TheOddOne said:
EA. Sock 'em to 'em.
To be honest, I don't think Bizarre, in any form, are cut out for being multi-console developers. They're great at getting the most out of what they're given, but I don't know if they could pull off something on more than one platform.

In a way, going to a multiplatform publisher would restrict them in that they'd have to cater across too many platforms (XBL/PSN, 360 architecture/PS3 arch... and so on). Ideally, they'd work on something 360 exclusive, but even if it was an exclusive PS3 game, as long as they had a handle on the system I really wouldn't mind.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So is it at all clear what happened with or will happen to Geometry Wars?
Activision owns it, right?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Jtwo said:
So is it at all clear what happened with or will happen to Geometry Wars?
Activision owns it, right?
Yes, they do. I don't think they care one bit about XBLA, so it might be safe, for all intents and purposes.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, well here's hoping they handle it with care or somehow someone can get the rights to it.
GeoWars Galaxies was amazing, so the idea of GW without Bizarre isn't all that frightening to me.

It would be a shame if it just disappeared forever.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Jtwo said:
Hmm, well here's hoping they handle it with care or somehow someone can get the rights to it.
GeoWars Galaxies was amazing, so the idea of GW without Bizarre isn't all that frightening to me.

It would be a shame if it just disappeared forever.
Bizarre was actually involved in Galaxies, to some degree.

I dunno, I just think IF he wanted to continue it, Cakebread should just work on his own spiritual successor, wherever he goes.

Does anyone here actually like Fur Fighters? I played the cel-shaded PS2 port and felt it was fun enough for what it was. Horrible QA though.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Princess Skittles said:
Bizarre was actually involved in Galaxies, to some degree.

I dunno, I just think IF he wanted to continue it, Cakebread should just work on his own spiritual successor, wherever he goes.
Hmm, didn't know that!

_dementia said:
Does anyone here actually like Fur Fighters? I played the cel-shaded PS2 port and felt it was fun enough for what it was. Horrible QA though.
I own it for DC and yes I like it, no idea if it holds up well now but back then it was great.

Rolf NB

Shaneus said:
To be honest, I don't think Bizarre, in any form, are cut out for being multi-console developers. They're great at getting the most out of what they're given, but I don't know if they could pull off something on more than one platform.
You should take a look at Blur. They can make their tech work multiplat just fine. Nothing wrong with The Club and Blood Stone on the tech side either.

Shaneus

I have Blur, but only on PC. I know it still looks *good* (really, really good) but PGR4 still shits all over it, imo.

BTW Is it unrealistic for me to expect a patch/update for the iPhone version of Geometry Wars? The online leaderboards are still completely fucking broken (in that they cannot be accessed AT ALL unless you're on wifi).

Top Bottom