• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 New DLC = Puzzel/Level editor/creator.

Exuro

Dang the workshop integration is slick. It opens up the workshop, click a few levels to try out and they get added in. Was thinking it would be like skyrim where you needed to reset but its all super smooth.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dang the workshop integration is slick. It opens up the workshop, click a few levels to try out and they get added in. Was thinking it would be like skyrim where you needed to reset but its all super smooth.

That sort of stuff depends on the engine. I imagine that UE3 titles that use the Workshop will probably be a similar level of slick to the Source engine here.

Before Portal 2 came out Valve said PS3 owners would be able to download PC user created chambers and play them.

So that's not possible / will never happen? They were making it sound like the chambers were platform agnostic once they were 'published'. Yes, I've probably been out of the loop for far, far too long...

The editor is pretty cool.
I only wish for a few things though:

- Being able to create co-op maps
- Having more finer tweaking options for extruding walls, floors and ceilings
- Creating a time-based button (maybe that's in, I didn't find it)
- Being able to change the environments would be nice (creating 80's Aperture Science Test Chambers, for example)

Anyways, the editor is very nice and it's so easy to use. Really enjoying it so far.

Roto13

I clicked the new option on the main menu (testing initiative or whatever) and tried to increase the volume on my PC and accidentally skipped the first scene. What did I miss?

I tried one community level. Not bad, though it had a orange goo funnel that didn't seem to actually have any use. :p

Exuro

Anyone else having issues where the items are trying to place themselves on the wall closest to you? Like if I'm looking at the floor and am trying to place an object it instead tries to place it on the invisible wall closest to me. Getting irritated trying to place some of these objects.

Not only is the Portal 2 map editor genius, how the game incorporates user-made maps into a narrative when you play them, is outstanding. I love that you can, from within the game, grab a bunch of user-made maps, and then play them in sequence, as if they're all part of the same testing area, complete with little Cave Johnson intros added to each one.

I love the little stick figure people:

1UCgYl.jpg

For those using it... Can you create maps as a group?

Like google docs?

A person starts creation and gives permission to others to continue?

DarkKyo

LOVE the editor, just played with it for like 40 minutes. It's damn hard designing a map that will get played the way you want it to. You really need to come up with a concept for a puzzle and aim at making it happen in the correct way.

jediyoshi

Spent 20~ minutes making a map, thought it was wrapped tight if not a bit easy, friend breaks it open in less than a minute.

The fun part is editing in Hammer trying to ensure people don't break maps to the point of having to reload. I'm guessing the cube droppers in the editor are set up to auto respawn them if they get destroyed.

hym

Banned
Not cool Valve, to force people to use your brand new Portal 2 editor by updating Hammer and introducing a critical bug that keeps it from launching.

Just joking, I'm sure it's a coincidence that they broke authoring tools today but I'm getting unusual long building times in the editor, even with full HDR lighting a level of similar complexity compiled in hammer at 20% the duration tops.

EDIT: looks like they are aware and working to fix the issue, http://forums.thinkingwithportals.com/mapping-help/hammer-not-starting-after-dlc-update-t6146.html

HoosTrax

Already 1160+ maps..
3,533+ you mean...yeeesh

That's pretty mind boggling for 4 hours worth of work, considering Skyrim's sitting at 6,685 and TF2's sitting at 4,721 as of this post.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that the barrier to entry of this editor is much lower.

Feep

Banned
Oh man, it's out!

I have a good idea for a puzzle; I'm gonna piece it together tonight. Someone should totally take the reins here and get a GAF-compiled list of testchambers for us all to play and rate.

Made a poopy map just to try it out. It's terrible, but the editor is amazing. It's much simpler than Hammer, but obviously much less powerful. But do you need power for a portal editor? I think in a few days this will be really amazing.

1-D_FTW

I need to wait until a decent sort system is available. I tried a couple highly rated ones and felt like a complete idiot (at least their rating when done while I flailed in futility... so I wasn't the only one). Don't really find the 5 switches, 1 box puzzles fun. Give me paint and jumps and stuff.

Part of me thinks this level creation tool is the best possible thing ever for Portal 2. But the other part of me knows that my reward for creating puzzles wasn't in beating them, but in the banter of the characters that would ensue. I did the puzzles to move forward not for the feeling of accomplishment in getting through each test chamber.

Maybe I'm weird though.

Sibylus

Banned
Im kind of bummed out about the size limit, cant make chambers with crazy heights, still, this thing is a blast.
Possibly due to each square being an individual block of BSP as the game is concerned. Could try prototyping the test chamber in the puzzle maker, and then exporting it into Hammer and creating your ridiculous heights with one continuous, rectangular block.

Top Bottom