• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM (213) March 2007 reviews/rumors

traveler

Not Wario
Wow. Thanks much for the early intel. (No Sonic or SSX review = me sad) Virtua Fighter will be great- when I finally get a chance to play it this summer.

One last thing, though, what's the cover story for next issue?

Edit: Thanks. In light of the latest EGM Live, that makes sense. (1up Show footage incoming hopefully.) It's about time the press get back to real deal exclusives and not these lists and information compilations we've been seeing. (I understand the early part of the year is slow- just sayin')

kenta said:
I also like the way the physics feel in MotorStorm, it would be a great fit for Wipeout
Never thought I'd hear this. Wipeout can take all the grafix it wants from Motorstorm, but it will be better off dismissing the gameplay. Play the demo and tell me you don't mind bouncing into walls and crashing every 5 seconds... maybe it's just me.
traveler said:
One last thing, though, what's the cover story for next issue?
Look forward to an exclusive on Ratchet & Clank 5 for PS3 --ain't sayin' no more, donna ask me nothin'.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Mr. Spinnington said:
Look for a certain internet forum cameo. Just sayin'

But yes it is and for the most part can burn in hells.

VF5 is best fightar evar u will liek this gamez srsly awesome play4happy
I lol'd :lol

MoxManiac

Mr. Spinnington said:

What did they hate about Valhalla knights!!

Dante

Mr. Spinnington said:
Never thought I'd hear this. Wipeout can take all the grafix it wants from Motorstorm, but it will be better off dismissing the gameplay. Play the demo and tell me you don't mind bouncing into walls and crashing every 5 seconds... maybe it's just me.

Look forward to an exclusive on Ratchet & Clank 5 for PS3 --ain't sayin' no more, donna ask me nothin'.

It's just you.........Keep practicing and lay off the gas at certain points in the track. It's easy to get through it without crashing once you learn the track.

ram said:
ps2 would be a odd choice, i am guessing its ps3.
Typo, sorry. What I meant was:

Square has another MMO Final Fantasy (à la FFXI) in the work for PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. Won't be set in Vana'diel, but rather a world from a previous FF. "Our fanboy hopes say FFVII, but our practical mind says FFXII."

Dante said:
It's just you.........Keep practicing and lay off the gas at certain points in the track. It's easy to get through it without crashing once you learn the track.
Braking doesn't win races, but neither does accel/boost. You just can't have boost in something that's trying to control like Motorstorm does --way too floaty and blow-uppy when you hit a twig. It doesn't get any better, though..

Mr. Spinnington said:
I'd set my sights on the 360, it being the most installed console for a game like SC5. Still, your guess would be as good as mine.

I can spell la bomba from here. Really, 360, at least right now, is not the place for a Space Channel.

Avalon

Square has another MMO Final Fantasy (à la FFXI) in the work for PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. Won't be set in Vana'diel, but rather a world from a previous FF. "Our fanboy hopes say FFVII, but our practical mind says FFXII."

That's a real shame if true. Vana'diel has such an extensive history thanks to FFXI.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Mr. Spinnington said:
I just meant that MotorStorm feels "floaty" enough to be adapted to Wipeout, I think. I like the physics and the way the cars feel, I would be happy if Wipeout felt similar

Elios83

These rumors are nothing more than wild guesses from EGM reporters.
Square Enix has already confirmed that a next gen MMORPG is in development for PS3,360 and PC. So much for FFXII online for the PS2
Tekken6 is not delayed until 2008, it should have been released during the launch period but it has been delayed to TBA 2007 to improve the quality to the expected next gen levels. That's why in the meantime they have made Tekken5 HD on the PSstore which originally wasn't planned. I guess spring will bring updates on the title.
Wipeout is scheduled for this year but it won't use the Motorstorm engine,it doesn't make any sense considering that a Wipeout game needs completely different optimizations compared to Motorstorm,of course all the Sony studios are sharing technologies but it's not the same engine.
Oh and what's with the "If Blu Dragon sells well there will a sequel" and "Lucas wants to have the new Indiana Jones game released together with the next movie" rumors ?:lol Now if you make a guess using logic you have created a rumor?:D

LJ11

Kleegamefan said:
Why would WipEout PS3 use the Motorstorm engine when Sony Liverpool (WipEout Devs) are doing F1 CE whereas Evolution Studios(Motorstorm dev) have no connection to WipEout at all...

WipEout PS3 using the Formula One:CE engine makes a lot more sense to me :/

That's what I thought, but maybe Sony's listening to John Davison. He's was the one who wanted to see a new Wipeout using the Motorstorm engine. Or maybe JD is the quarterman. :lol

Dante

Mr. Spinnington said:
Typo, sorry. What I meant was:

Braking doesn't win races, but neither does accel/boost. You just can't have boost in something that's trying to control like Motorstorm does --way too floaty and blow-uppy when you hit a twig. It doesn't get any better, though..

Don't break, just ease up on the gas in certain points especially the section after the first corner. and only use boost, on safe areas like the long cliffside, andafter using the handbrake on the hairpin like sections.

Wollan

Anyways, WipEout will be awesome. Pure was a super sexy flirt, this will be the real deal. OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO BE PLAYING ONLINE WIPEOUT THIS YEAR.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
LJ11 said:
That's what I thought, but maybe Sony's listening to John Davison. He's was the one who wanted to see a new Wipeout using the Motorstorm engine. Or maybe JD is the quarterman. :lol
I thought he said jet moto using motorstorm engine? I could be wrong. :p

Barakov

Gold Member
Mr. Spinnington said:
Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3): 9.5, 10, 9.5 (Game of the Month)

I can't wait for my JP copy to get here. Finally something to put in there besides Resistance. :)

LJ11

Bad_Boy said:
I thought he said jet moto using motorstorm engine? I could be wrong. :p

I know he mentioned Wipeout druring the 1up Show Motorstrom preview. Someone brought up Jet Moto as a good candidate on a recent podcast as well.

Vyer

Mr. Spinnington said:

Yeah I saw that. I also dont know anything about the mods, so I don't know who was 'quoted' in the article either.

And I guess I should have realized, but the extent to which the viral marketing is performed - and how many industries are using it - kind of surprised me.

Bad_Boy said:
hmm...I wonder why not use the F1 engine? Wipeout with destructive physics? :D

Yeah, that's kind of a downer, those F1 pics DCharlie was posting had me drooling. You know that little tune it plays in Super Mario 2 (US) when you die? I heard that in my head as soon as I finished reading that sentence. Motor Storm looks nice, but not F1 nice.

Deku

Banned
Concerning the FF MMO rumour, a successor to XI is obvious but I don't think it will be VII or XII. XII's graphics engine and battle system was basically a derivative of XI so doing an MMO of XII would be relatively lazy and unproductive. S-E would want to make a big splash and make a clean break. I would guess they would go further back than VII.

It has to a universe with the appropriate job sytems to support an MMO which XII qualifies given its roots from the Tactics franchise, but there's alot going against it, including its lack of popularity in Japan and FFXI is by far still one of the most popular MMO there.

Edit: Also I believe another FFXI expansion was announced already in late 2006 so the next MMO may be a ways off yet.

Actually in Developer magazine SCE Liverpool already said that they are going to build Wipeout PS3 on F1 engine. They also said that there are going to be substantial improvements over what they did with F1, thanks to the gained experience.

Dante said:
Don't break, just ease up on the gas in certain points especially the section after the first corner. and only use boost, on safe areas like the long cliffside, andafter using the handbrake on the hairpin like sections.
I've been through the Japanese retail of Motorstorm, nothing has changed. In fact, it's nearly impossible to win some of the races thanks to it's wonky driving mechanics. To each his own, though, you'll like it if you like the demo and vice versa.
Barakov said:
I can't wait for my JP copy to get here. Finally something to put in there besides Resistance. :)
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Wollan

Mr. Spinnington said:
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

seinfeld-779714.jpg

:lol

Ace 8095

NBA Street Homecourt (PS3/360): 9.0, 9.5, 9.0

After spending some time with the demo I am shocked. This is like the third highest rated 360 game behind Gears and Oblivion. I can't believe it scored so high. Maybe their was something I was missing, but the demo just felt like more 7.5 material from EA

jett

D-Member
drohne said:
if the miz is really working with sega again, he needs to do a new rez. post haste.

qft. Rez is the only worthwhile thing that overrated douche has made.

So much for Diddy Kong DS. Glad I skipped out on at while I was in Wal-mart.

Did pick up FF6 though. :)
Yay for broken street dates.

jett said:

Cute

ethelred

Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner (PSP): 6.5, 7.5, 7.0
Valhalla Knights (PSP): 3.5, 4.5, 5.0

Um... ouch.

Not that I put much stock in EGM's RPG reviews (especially after the BKO debacle), but I'm curious what prompted scores that low.

Also, Blue Dragon DS does seem pretty likely given that Famitsu hinted similarly and Sakaguchi confirmed more DS stuff in the works as well as his desire to make BD a real franchise. Blue Dragon 2 isn't really a "rumor," per se, as Sakaguchi has already been quite clear he wants to make it, and MGS hasn't really demonstrated a reluctance at funding him yet. Though of course US sales are going to be a factor in continuing that. Like I said, common sense more than rumor.

jett

D-Member
...and I hope Wipeout PS3 doesn't use the Motorstorm engine...I mean no offense to the Evolution guys, but I had even higher expectations for next-gen Wipeout.

KTallguy

Banned
jett said:

Lumines says hi

I really love Motorstorm. At first I was extremely bad at it, but as you play it more, you really start to understand the quirks of the tracks and how managing your boost effectively is the key to winning. If you crash and burn in Motorstorm, it's definitely based on player error, not on the game's 'wonky' physics or whatever.

Wollan said:
Anyways, WipEout will be awesome. Pure was a super sexy flirt, this will be the real deal. OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO BE PLAYING ONLINE WIPEOUT THIS YEAR.

I swear if they don't embrace the Online scheme DCharlie and I simultaneously imagined, I will punch the whole studio in the throat, one at a time.

ONLINE FX300 LEAGUE.

CHROMEHOUNDS STYLE.

MAKE IT HAPPEN.

OR I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU.

Sincerely Yours,
Representing Goteki Team In Online Races With An Intricate Rock Solid League And Tournament System Otherwise This Whole Enterprise Is A Joke I Mean Come On

Top Bottom