• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't know if I'm ready to abandon a cell phone yet. I'd kinda see going feature phone/tablet combo, but cell phone free seems too far off for me. Even if skype works well on a 3G tablet, its not like everyone you want to call has access to skype 24/7.

Yeah to many random calls I make. I mean I called the place that was changing my oil and rotating my tires an hour ago to see if my car was done as I just dropped it off. I just hit the search button, looked up their number, and then I called them. No way could I have done this with just Skype.

jagowar

I don't know if I'm ready to abandon a cell phone yet. I'd kinda see going feature phone/tablet combo, but cell phone free seems too far off for me. Even if skype works well on a 3G tablet, its not like everyone you want to call has access to skype 24/7.

You can pay $60 a year and get a "real" phone number (they call it an online number) from them and unlimited calling. Basically allows you to replace something that costs $30 a month with something that costs $5 per month. I have bought a cordless phone that is compatible with it and when people call my "skype number" it rings that phone just like a normal phone. We don't have the app yet but presumably it would also ring your cell phone at the same time and if it ties into the dialer in wp8/w8 then the search stuff brettison mentioned would also work.

Don't know if this is old or not but Smoked by Windows Phone campaign starts up this week.
This week, the company will launch another such campaign: "Smoked by Windows Phone," a series of online ads challenging those who use iPhones, Android phones or other mobile devices to beat the speed of a Windows Phone in doing a browser search, sharing with their social network or shooting and posting a photo.

The 12 different digital ads featuring the challenge will run on tech sites as well as the Windows Phone Facebook page through the beginning of April.Also on the Facebook page will be video footage from the original "Smoked by Windows Phone" challenge, which took place at the Consumer Electronics Show in January. There, at the Microsoft booth, CES attendees participated in speed challenges, winning $100 if their smartphone beat the Windows Phone.

The final tally for Windows Phone at the CES challenge: 30 wins, three losses, one tie.
Doesn't say anything about TV ads, I think that would be a lost opportunity.

WP7 smokes the competition.

Last out of the gate, but first to finish it's run.

Seriously? Your post history in this thread indicates that you really have nothing substantial to say about the platform, so I am wondering why you are in this thread. Other than to perhaps evoke a response like this from someone.

Seriously? Your post history in this thread indicates that you really have nothing substantial to say about the platform, so I am wondering why you are in this thread. Other than to perhaps evoke a response like this from someone.

Coco is a valuable member of our little drunk and broken family here on MobileGAF.

kehs

Banned

I'd discuss the new tango features but the second quarter of 2011 has come to an end.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Coco is a valuable member of our little drunk and broken family here on MobileGAF.
speak for your self. if i were to list the top 10 reasons why i wouldn't buy an android, number 1 would be copernicus.

[rant]
even i can appreciate a couple trolls here and there. but "coco" acts like he would be an extremely unpleasant person to be around in real life. and then when hes done with this thread he goes into an droid thread just so he can have a circle jerk with a few members. while the others struggle for tech support.
[/rant]

MobileGAF is a family which encompasses all mobile platforms, no matter how DOA they might be!

<3

speak for your self. if i were to list the top 10 reasons why i wouldn't buy an android, number 1 would be copernicus.

[rant]
even i can appreciate a couple trolls here and there. but "coco" acts like he would be an extremely unpleasant person to be around in real life. and then when hes done with this thread he goes into an droid thread just so he can have a circle jerk with a few members. while the others struggle for tech support.
[/rant]

Lighten up Francis.

dream

Does anyone really have anything substantial to say about WP7 beyond waiting for Tango (256 megs!) and wondering what apps Microsoft's going to port to iOS?

Firestorm

With my BlackBerry dead and my iPhone a piece of shit I think I'm going to just break down and find a Focus on Craigslist somewhere. I guess if I do this I won't need to get a Lumia 900 at launch and can wait for a white version + cheaper prices.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Well, you could discuss new phones you got, questions... rumors, but trolling the thread... come on... don't be pathetic.
best thing you can do is just ignore em. its really not worth it.
With my BlackBerry dead and my iPhone a piece of shit I think I'm going to just break down and find a Focus on Craigslist somewhere. I guess if I do this I won't need to get a Lumia 900 at launch and can wait for a white version + cheaper prices.

how much is focus on craigslist?

nvm lowest i could find was 200.

dream

Well, you could discuss new phones you got, questions... rumors, but trolling the thread... come on... don't be pathetic.

But that's just it. There are no new phones to discuss. How long can people wait for the Lumia 900? There are no rumors to discuss because, for some reason, Tango is going to be some Windows MEesque stopgap while they try to get Apollo out.

So all Microsoft is giving us to talk about is that Smoked by Windows Phone thing, which is too stupid for an astute poster like Coco to not poke fun of.

Wow, it took you only more than a year. I think we can finally close this thread now. :lol

But that's just it. There are no new phones to discuss. How long can people wait for the Lumia 900? There are no rumors to discuss because, for some reason, Tango is going to be some Windows MEesque stopgap while they try to get Apollo out.

So all Microsoft is giving us to talk about is that Smoked by Windows Phone thing, which is too stupid for an astute poster like Coco to not poke fun of.

Not sure why that is stupid, I don't go into the android thread and make fun of their stupid tacky ass droid razr commercials., or make fun of blackberry's failures at CEO. It's not constructive.

For example, imaging matching is coming to bing search in march, Fujitsu just hopped on board with a new phones, and dreamboard for iOS has a pretty neat Windows Phone theme with some live tile functionality... there is always something to talk about rather than shitting up the thread.

dream

Not sure why that is stupid, I don't go into the android thread and make fun of their stupid tacky ass droid razr commercials., or make fun of blackberry's failures at CEO. It's not constructive.

Sometimes it's just nice to be able to laugh about things. Like how people in the Android thread laugh off the fragmentation so that it won't hurt as much. Or how iPhone 4 people laughed off the fact that all their bars disappeared when they held their phone. Or how webOS people...well, that's a bad example because they were mostly humorless people suffering from stockholm syndrome.

It's just nice to be able to commiserate.

Here, I'll even give you an example:

i thought this thread was suppose to be closed 2 pages ago. dunno why mods didn't lock it. =/

Because they probably don't know WP7 exists either.

Sometimes it's just nice to be able to laugh about things. Like how people in the Android thread laugh off the fragmentation so that it won't hurt as much. Or how iPhone 4 people laughed off the fact that all their bars disappeared when they held their phone. Or how webOS people...well, that's a bad example because they were mostly humorless people suffering from stockholm syndrome.

It's just nice to be able to commiserate.

Here, I'll even give you an example:

Because they probably don't know WP7 exists either.

I totally understand your point, but when every post someone makes is just garbage then it isnt commiserating anymore.

I have never used forum apps and I never will. Why the hell do you need an app for every forum you visit? The vast majority of forums draw perfectly on modern mobile browsers, i.e. anything that uses WebKit as the layout engine. Hell, even Gecko (Firefox Mobile) and whatever Opera uses draw GAF correctly in addtion to WebKit.

I have never used forum apps and I never will. Why the hell do you need an app for every forum you visit? The vast majority of forums draw perfectly on modern mobile browsers, i.e. anything that uses WebKit as the layout engine. Hell, even Gecko (Firefox Mobile) and whatever Opera uses draw GAF correctly in addtion to WebKit.

The apps load faster on a shitty Australian 3G connection.

Commodore

Does anyone really have anything substantial to say about WP7 beyond waiting for Tango (256 megs!) and wondering what apps Microsoft's going to port to iOS?

Do you mean substantial as in, hey since we're a lowly percentage in the market, so everything we say is pointless, or hey my cousin's 3Gs was on its last leg and he was trying to hold out for an iPhone 5, so I suggested he buy a cheap holdover phone on cragislist till it came out and he could decide then. He wanted to try out some different platforms, so he was looking at an Android phone or a Windows Phone. He went with Android, because, dude, Android is so hot right now. He was looking at my brother's Galaxy Nexus, assumed he'd get roughly the same. Don't know what phone he got, but he had it about a week, and switched up to a Focus. One day with it and he was much happier. Likes the interface more, was "smoother", easier to use, interested in getting a Zune Pass. He's now eyeing the Lumia down the road, going to see what the 5 brings to the table.

First option right? I mean, what the hell was my cousin thinking? Didn't he know about how little market share Windows Phone have? There's nothing substantial he could possibly have enjoyed about Windows Phone over Android? I mean, Android has CORES, and customization, and more RAM, more apps, more phones, more more more. Crazy huh? WP7 is a joke amirite? Only idiots pick it, right? For some reason, Windows Phone seemed more substantial to him. Maybe he just preferred it. Maybe it's cool if someone decides they like something that you don't like, even though its popular. Maybe my cousin is just a damn hipster. I don't know, but before I put on my Windows Phone jammies, know that your comment will very likely make me cry myself to sleep tonight.

How was this comment on the substantial scale:

EDIT: Oh noes, you're joking/commiserating. Oh ok, but you need to include WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA at the end of your posts in here. Cool?

Firestorm

Most of the ones that ship to Canada would come up to more after shipping (and customs might be an issue). Would need to unlock it too. A new one at $150 or something feels easier.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Most of the ones that ship to Canada would come up to more after shipping (and customs might be an issue). Would need to unlock it too. A new one at $150 or something feels easier.

I would sell you my Focus, but I'm waiting to see how much the 800 is going to be at Telus and if the 900 is coming to Rogers. I saw a twitter post from BenthePCGuy mentoning something about a class 10 32GB SD card. He was hinting that it would work with his Focus.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I would sell you my Focus, but I'm waiting to see how much the 800 is going to be at Telus and if the 900 is coming to Rogers. I saw a twitter post from BenthePCGuy mentoning something about a class 10 32GB SD card. He was hinting that it would work with his Focus.
i am 99% sure the 900 will come to rogers. and nothing else. :sadface:

venne

You can pay $60 a year and get a "real" phone number (they call it an online number) from them and unlimited calling. Basically allows you to replace something that costs $30 a month with something that costs $5 per month. I have bought a cordless phone that is compatible with it and when people call my "skype number" it rings that phone just like a normal phone. We don't have the app yet but presumably it would also ring your cell phone at the same time and if it ties into the dialer in wp8/w8 then the search stuff brettison mentioned would also work.

Minutes and SMS are rip-offs. I'm hoping a $30 data plan will be able to do it all within a year, read Windows 8.

I'm not that interested in Tango specs. I'm more interested in what Tango will look like. I highly doubt Tango powered deviced will all have 3.5"+ touchscreens. The way I imagine Tango is it running on a nokia C3-01 type device, which I'm excited for really.

hwalker84

Looks like we have some good things to look forward to form the Snapdragon S4 in Apollo.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5559/...ormance-preview-msm8960-adreno-225-benchmarks

CPU wipes the floor with pretty much everything out there right now (and this is just the dual core, quad core will be crazy). GPU is very competitive as well, especially when you consider the resolution.

WP8 on this thing. Great Scott!!

At the moment I'm just itching for a Lumia 900 next month and all the MWC info I can get my hands on.

venne

The carriers will never allow that to happen.

I don't see how they'll be able to stop it. Data is data. The only thing I can think of is stripping the functionality out of carrier branded devices, but that's remedied with a firmware hack or buying the device from another source that hasn't been raped. The Engadget review of an imported Galaxy Tab 7.7 speaks of making calls on the device.

With Microsoft shelling out billions on Skype, I think it's a pretty good bet that the functionality will be cooked into Windows 8.

gcubed

I don't see how they'll be able to stop it. Data is data. The only thing I can think of is stripping the functionality out of carrier branded devices, but that's remedied with a firmware hack or buying the device from another source that hasn't been raped. The Engadget review of an imported Galaxy Tab 7.7 speaks of making calls on the device.

With Microsoft shelling out billions on Skype, I think it's a pretty good bet that the functionality will be cooked into Windows 8.

you'll never be able to buy a device without a voice plan

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
getting smasung omnia w next week . What are some of the best free apps and games?

just realized that angry bird is paid on live wth?

the trial gives you the first 21 levels which you can play as much as you want. but yeah, It's £2.29 (uk price) for the full version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom