• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your milkshake duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm swimming in milkshake ducks. It feels like every time I like something, that person or organization turns out to be on the Secret Council of Eating Babies or something, or joins them eventually.

- Yogscast

What did Yogcast do?

I ask this because I always thought it was dumb how they were included in that one Sonic & Sega Racing game (okay, enraged over their inclusion over actual Sega characters) and now it leads to a pertinent question---games probably shouldn't include Internet personalities in them due to the heavy risk of them putting their foots in their mouth. Yookie-Laylee avoided this by only letting Jontron do a voice, an easy thing to replace, but like with the example here we have two people who easily could turn out to be racist the next day and would have to be completely wiped from the game.

IrishNinja

I'm swimming in milkshake ducks. It feels like every time I like something, that person or organization turns out to be on the Secret Council of Eating Babies or something, or joins them eventually.

- Yogscast
- TB
- MoonMoon
- Oculus
- Jim Carrey
- JonTron
- Konami
- Square-Enix
- Nestle

aaand moreee

oh man, I used to love quik until o read up on nestle....fuuuuck them

konami too but that's a given

Bahorel

The sword and scale guy. I am literally disgusted I spent time listening to that narcissistic sociopath. The subreddit is an amazing dumpster fire of all the horrible things he's done and he's calling them a hate group, amazing.

But really the simplest summary of what a shit bag person he is is to watch what he was like before sword and scale in this interview with Fox News. "I'm greedy and I deserve money for doing nothing what is wrong with that?"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XSnu1k1M65E

Boogie always came off to me as a dude who did everything in his power to emotionally manipulate people to be on his side, so the "let's meet in the middle" thing does not surprise me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. While Boogie has some personal demons that get the best of him due to a shitty upbringing, it is clear that he manipulates his viewers into accepting a retelling of events that suits him. I don't hate the guy and I wish him the best especially right now. But you just have to be very careful when listening to him.

What did Yogcast do?

You mean besides conning their fanbase into supporting a crowdfunding campaign they walked away from while openly stating they do not intend to make right?

I also like the whole "who are you a fan of who's DEFINITELY NEVER EVER going to be a exposed as a shitbag in the future??"

Yeah, let's return to this thread a year from now and see where that list stands.

While that's bad I don't think scams for cash really fall under Milkshake Duck territory.

So a milkshake duck can be a racist, sexist, etc.... towards just one person and meet the criteria, but when you use your celebrity to financially take advantage of your fanbase, that's okay? Don't think that people lost pocket change in that Kickstarter. Look at those reward tiers.

84 backers pledged $500 and up.

10 backers pledged between $5,000 - $10,000!!!

So no, I disagree. If a YouTuber ripped off even one person to the tune of $500 and publicly stated that they were walking away from that situation then they're a shitbag and a milkshake duck that showed their true colors in that moment.

Teggy

I by no means care about the guy, but I would occasionally see YouTube posts by this guy vegangains when looking at fitness and biking videos. One day I see he posted some ridiculous video saying the female MC in Mass Effect Andromeda was uglified due to sjws. Didn't bother with him after that. More recently I noticed he goes on alt-right channels as a guest. Was just a weird surprise.

balohna

Frank Miller, Jontron. I thought I might have more examples, but tbh a lot of the public figures I'm a big fan of are quite left wing and not shy about it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Nestle. I still occasionally end up buying their brands (just forget to check, or have a strong craving) but as a general rule I avoid them.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

- Jim Carrey
- Square-Enix
- Nestle

aaand moreee

yo what the fucking fuck is going on. JIM CARREY? SQUARE? EVEN NESTLE? what'd they do?

Ep14XAs.jpg

- Yogscast
- TB
- MoonMoon
- Oculus
- Jim Carrey
- JonTron
- Konami
- Square-Enix
- Nestle

aaand moreee

What did MoonMoon do?

As a side note, it's still bizarre to me how people try to rope Jeff being fired into a GG-related ethics thing. In the comments of the post about TB on Kotaku there was even someone talking about how GG happened "not long after" he was fired for a review etc. etc. And uh. That was 7 years, bud.

Anyway, I'd say that Alex (and to some extent Rorie?) were my reverses? I hadn't seen much with them before GG happened but Alex sometimes came across as edgy in a way that made me wary of him and Rorie seemed sorta similar. But Alex speaking up, and Rorie's moderation work, when GG started meant a lot to me and it's abundantly clear by now where Alex stands on things (and he's probably the GB member I identify with the most in a lot of ways), so.

EDIT: I do think it's worth noting that he doesn't usually handle inviting people for E3 though. I believe Alex does it currently; might have been Brad (or Austin?) before.

Alex is great. Love his twitter.

Oh yeah, he might not be directly in charge of inviting guests. It's just his website and being in editorial charge of all of that, that I can apply some responsibility to him too.

So a milkshake duck can be a racist, sexist, etc.... towards just one person and meet the criteria, but when you use your celebrity to financially take advantage of your fanbase, that's okay? Don't think that people lost pocket change in that Kickstarter. Look at those reward tiers.

84 backers pledged $500 and up.

10 backers pledged between $5,000 - $10,000!!!

So no, I disagree. If a YouTuber ripped off even one person to the tune of $500 and publicly stated that they were walking away from that situation then they're a shitbag and a milkshake duck that showed their true colors in that moment.

I guess? It was originally used specifically for espousing shitty beliefs, but I guess as a meme it can be applied generally to "any kind of shitty behavior."

yo what the fucking fuck is going on. JIM CARREY? SQUARE? EVEN NESTLE? what'd they do?

I know SE still has Sugiyama compose for DQ, he's a denier of Japan's war crimes (which apparently isn't very uncommon). Unfortunately it's an issue where a lot of DQ fans feel his tunes are an essential part of the series, so he'll probably continue to compose for them until he dies or chooses to retire.

Edit: Looked up Nestle, this is their controversies section on Wikipedia
5 Controversy and criticisms
5.1 Nestlé baby formula boycott
5.2 Possible competition violations
5.3 Status of Potable Water
5.4 Ethiopian debt (2002)
5.5 Child labour
5.6 Chocolate price fixing
5.7 Packaging claims (2008)
5.8 Water bottling operations in California and Oregon
5.9 Ukrainian boycott of Russian-manufactured Nestlé products
5.10 Forced labour in Thai fishing industry
Hot damn.

BTA

I think I am gonna be sick.

you know I ve always wondered what "side"
[because there are very good people on both side] /s
gb were on, because they're always seem to avoid talking about anything outside of gaming. but its honestly heartening know they're good people.

To be honest I'm still not super happy about how long it took them to make some of their views clearer to the community because there was (probably still are) people in the GB community who, for years, treated their lack of saying things (or just not saying them repeatedly) as agreement. Like, they had the implicit belief that even, say, their whiny complaints about Patrick and him being slightly more clearly feminist/left-leaning were definitely backed by Jeff, and then there was the whole hiring fiasco immediately pre-GG where fans were attacking people giving criticism in their honor, and so on.

And I'm not saying anyone's perfect and I do think this is leaning towards putting people on a pedestal in the exact way that leads to milkshake ducking being a surprise but... yeah, I'm happy Giant Bomb's as inclusive as it is.

Aselith

Gaters try to yoke Jeff Gerstman to their cause in a deliberate attempt to muddy the timeline of how the movement started (as a harassment campaign) and imply that they have noble goals in responding to his firing. It's the same reason you'll see Gaters claim that Zoe Quinn was only a minor figure in the controversy who was latched onto by their opposition. Never mind that the whole goddamn thing started as a harassment campaign against her.

Here he is talking to a Gater for a half hour

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bboIk6w0hFA

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I really like some of Ayn Rand's writing. The Fountainhead was a very formative book for me in a lot of ways, and I'd refer to them as mostly positive ways. It really shaped my views on art as a whole. That said, man I was bummed to eventually learn what a crazy woman Ayn Rand was and how objectivism as a whole is pretty much shit.

IrishNinja

yeah, a ton of babies died of malnutrition cause of nestle and they just kept peddling their product in other places

also the CEO thinks water shouldn't be free

like, crunch bars are prolly my favorite ones but goddamn do they have an evil history. worse yet, it's not nearly as well known as, say, de beers.

televator

yeah, a ton of babies died of malnutrition cause of nestle and they just kept peddling their product in other places

also the CEO thinks water shouldn't be free

like, crunch bars are prolly my favorite ones but goddamn do they have an evil history. worse yet, it's not nearly as well known as, say, de beers.

Well... note to self: Stop buying Nestle Quick.

Eusis

I saw that and his quote about thinking there weren't any real Nazis out there anymore but the weekend events opening up his eyes. As someone who doesn't follow Swedish news I can think of two articles from this year alone involving Nazis in Sweden so I don't buy it for a second. He just found a convenient way to play ignorant and find redemption.
I thought another angle could have been that he didn't think they were serious, and may have been edgelords at worst. But even if many probably would buckle under pressure some are fucked up enough to acttdo shit, or said buckling can go the other way, so it's better to take it seriously. Period.

you know I ve always wondered what "side"
[because there are very good people on both side] /s
gb were on, because they're always seem to avoid talking about anything outside of gaming. but its honestly heartening know they're good people.
I think they get pretty vocal about issues surrounding the industry. Not just with Hardline, but they invited Zoe Quinn and Brianna Wu to make GOTY lists during the height of GG. Jeff in particular was quick to smack down parts of the community that were being transphobic towards Samantha Kalman.

JonTron was my biggest milkshake duck. Was also into IHE for a while until he peddled the "this film is reverse sexism and has a fEmINiSt aGeNDA!" crap
...he's also not funny, as it turns out. But man with British accent so obviously hilarious.

hbomberguy is solid gold for social issues.

- Yogscast
- TB
- MoonMoon
- Oculus
- Jim Carrey
- JonTron
- Konami
- Square-Enix
- Nestle

aaand moreee

Wait.... Moonmoon_ow moonmoon?! The fuck did he do? As a aside... If there is dirt on Lirik that would upset me greatly.

Nooooooooo, not Nestle ;_; Well.... Not supporting them anymore.

I thought an inability to accept the war crimes Japan had comitted was like ... the norm in Japan. It's depressing, but I find it hard to believe that, say, a large proportion of the population even believes the comfort women happened. This isn't an attempt to defend him, just to be clear.

IIRC, one gator prick tried guilting Jeff onto their side by claiming Ryan would have if he was still alive.

The funny thing is Ryan would have been the first to openly come out and say "Go fuck yourselves you piece of human shit" to GG. He'd have happily and nonchalantly eviscerate them without giving a fuck who hears it.

maybe people should explain instead of just listing people

also why are we talking about corporations and shit? kind of missing the point here

Here's a question, after reading every page of this thread and feeling kind of dazed: who among the YouTube gamer personalities are like.... completely unabashed good guys?

AngryJoe (& other Joe), MetalJesus (and his whole crew), Mark Brown of Game Maker's Toolkit, Stopskeletonsfromfighting; just to list a few who I follow. Genuinely nice guy in real life, all.

Mafro

I see Rich Stanton is still being a shit lol
I used to really enjoy his writing on Dark Souls/Bloodborne and Monster Hunter, but after following him on Twitter for a few years now I've noticed more and more how annoying he is (had to mute him during the last Splatfest in Splatoon 2 because it was just endless tweets of him sounding like a total dudebro dick) but all the recent stuff on Kotaku UK was really disappointing, especially considering how outspoken he's been in the past over shitty journalism at previous employers.

Anung

Un Rama
I used to really enjoy his writing on Dark Souls/Bloodborne and Monster Hunter, but after following him on Twitter for a few years now I've noticed more and more how annoying he is (had to mute him during the last Splatfest in Splatoon 2 because it was just endless tweets of him sounding like a total dudebro dick) but all the recent stuff on Kotaku UK was really disappointing, especially considering how outspoken he's been in the past over shitty journalism at previous employers.

Yeah, same. Always thought he was a pretty good dude but how he's handled this whole debacle leaves a lot to be desired and he certainly didn't handle it professionally.

sasliquid

In regards to someone I actually used to like, I just remembered that theNeedledrop is still a thing. Used to be one of my go to music critics until... yeah...

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
What did Yogcast do?
Yogscast had a bit where they crowdfunded a game, then the game development completely folded because of mismanagement. But the part that gets me is their attitude when handling the whole thing, acting as if they owed people nothing with a very condescending "Whoops! Here's something tiny and remember, we absolutely don't think like we need to do anything, but we're just being nice!" vibe to people.

Second, they later introduced a program to game developers where they do videos on indie games, but with the requirement that the game developers then share a portion of their sales to the Yogscast. That struck me as incredibly scummy.

JIM CARREY? SQUARE? EVEN NESTLE? what'd they do?
Jim Carrey is an anti-vaxxer. :( I loved the guy, but he's gone off the deep end in that regard.

Square is a weird thing because I feel like while the game studios are excellent, there is some serious corporate fuckery going on at the top. I play and love FFXIV, but I feel like that dev team succeeds in spite of upper management, not because of it. Add in what they did in gutting Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and you have a company where I like its games, but I hate its upper management.

Nestle is pretty fucking evil as a company. One of the many evil things they practice (and continue to do so) is give free baby formula to new mothers in third world countries so that they don't breastfeed, wait until the mothers stop naturally producing breast milk, then hit them with high priced baby formula. They couldn't afford it, so babies died of malnutrition.

Nestle literally kills babies for profit.

Wait.... Moonmoon_ow moonmoon?! The fuck did he do?
What did MoonMoon do?
I liked Moonmoon until he did the whole "roleplaying an asshole" thing and went around harassing people in games as if he was a stereotypical Genji asshole. Yelling at people, telling a female Mercy player to turn around so that he could check out her ass, and that sort of thing. Yes, he says he was roleplaying but I see it as one of those "it's just a prank bro" situations. If you're acting like a harassing asshole to people who aren't in on your joke and didn't agree to be on the butt end of it, then to those people you are no different from someone who is actually being a harassing asshole. It just crossed the line in my book. Being supposedly "a nice guy" outside of his roleplaying does not take away from the fact that he intentionally acted like a dick to random people for the entertainment of his stream viewers.

Speaking of Overwatch, Gale_Adelade is another one that turned out to be a milkshake duck. :( He pulled some "women are biologically incapable of being as good at games as men" bullshit.
49UNm2t.png

More here: https://imgur.com/a/F1xDf

Narroo

Jim Carrey is an anti-vaxxer. :( I loved the guy, but he's gone off the deep end in that regard.

Jim Carrey is a bit weird in that his main point wasn't that the vaccines were bad themselves, but that emulsions in certain vaccines were toxic. I believe he was trying to advocate 'green vaccines.'

Of course, the entire thing was stupid and he was discouraging people from getting certain vaccines that he knows nothing about, but he wasn't exactly an anti-vaxxer; more of an in-between that muddied the waters.

PillarEN

He's great but I sometimes worry that he almost seems unwilling to have an opinion on any social element of video games. I love his stuff and I just want my concerns answered but I remember at the height of gg he never said anything pro or against and silence is to accept the oppression.

I mean the Youtube channel has never focused on gaming news or blog type videos. Seems like an almost odd half accusation that he is/was a proud GG supporter.

Sort of like if a music review channel didn't post a video talking about R Kelly and his recent women's abuse scandal. Like that wouldn't mean the channel creator is secretly into R Kelly's captive strategies.

But i we want some names of gamer Youtubers who I have no knowledge of being vile:
Ahoy
BackinMyPlay
EPNdotTV
Errant Signal
GameXplain
GilvaSunner
Jonathan Toyad
Kim Justice
Lazy Game Reviews
Major Third
Mark Brown
Matthewmatosis
Noah Caldwell-Gervais
PtoPOnline
Smooth McGroove
Super Bunnyhop
SupraDarky
The 8-Bit Guy
The Obsolete Geek
Writing in Games
Nah, i mean he's probly fine but I just prefer my personalities to condemn abuse. If he had a bigger social media presence and never did it'd be more of a worry, I've just seen a few creepy people through him up as a good example of an "objective" critic

I see. Yeah I mean if some people prop him like that then that's really their own issue. Can't control everything.

sasliquid

I mean the Youtube channel has never focused on gaming news or blog type videos. Seems like an almost odd half accusation that he is/was a proud GG supporter.

Sort of like if a music review channel didn't post a video talking about R Kelly and his recent women's abuse scandal. Like that wouldn't mean the channel creator is secretly into R Kelly's captive strategies.

Nah, i mean he's probly fine but I just prefer my personalities to condemn abuse. If he had a bigger social media presence and never did it'd be more of a worry, I've just seen a few creepy people through him up as a good example of an "objective" critic

CDiggity

For this, I'm going to use the definition of "Person/people who are beloved/idolized or generally seen as good have a dark secret/history come to light which shatters that facade."

Besides some of the examples already given several times here, I'll go with something a little more personal. I had a teacher in high school, let's call him Mr. X. He taught computer science and after-school Aikido. Everyone enjoyed his personality and teaching style. Mr. X was also caught putting cameras in the boy's restrooms and was promptly dismissed. To say people were disappointed and angry would be a massive understatement. It was fortunate that, after the situation was thoroughly investigated by police/faculty, nobody was harmed during the ordeal.

Also, I hate the term "milkshake duck" because I know that ducks and birds in general are lactose intolerant.

Bahorel

For this, I'm going to use the definition of "Person/people who are beloved/idolized or generally seen as good have a dark secret/history come to light which shatters that facade."

Besides some of the examples already given several times here, I'll go with something a little more personal. I had a teacher in high school, let's call him Mr. X. He taught computer science and after-school Aikido. Everyone enjoyed his personality and teaching style. Mr. X was also caught putting cameras in the boy's restrooms and was promptly dismissed. To say people were disappointed and angry would be a massive understatement. It was fortunate that, after the situation was thoroughly investigated by police/faculty, nobody was harmed during the ordeal.

Also, I hate the term "milkshake duck" because I know that ducks and birds in general are lactose intolerant.

Oh my god what the fuck

TheBez

In regards to someone I actually used to like, I just remembered that theNeedledrop is still a thing. Used to be one of my go to music critics until... yeah...

This guy always gave me a funny vibe, but I can't seem to find what's up with a cursory google search. What did he do?

Aske

Well, just got one. Alisachan, aka Alisa Farrington, aka Alisa Norris, aka Alisa Kiss, a prominent cosplayer is apparently a white nationalist.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/18/supergirl-cosplayer-went-charlottesville-guess-whose-side/

I wonder if this will affect her softcore porn stuff.

It's such a little thing when looking at the bigger picture, but I really hate seeing white supremacists co-opting superhero costumes and symbols. At least when they do it with Norse mythology, they're not doing it with figureheads of tolerance who exist to fight people like them. Yes, I'd rather this girl was open to the positive ethical messages included in superhero fiction than closed to them. But I don't understand how people like this can reconcile an appreciation of superheroes with the fact that their racial intolerance is the antithesis of what those characters stand for. I guess it's not that deep: they like strong stuff that punches hard. Still feels perverse.

I liked Moonmoon until he did the whole "roleplaying an asshole" thing and went around harassing people in games as if he was a stereotypical Genji asshole. Yelling at people, telling a female Mercy player to turn around so that he could check out her ass, and that sort of thing. Yes, he says he was roleplaying but I see it as one of those "it's just a prank bro" situations. If you're acting like a harassing asshole to people who aren't in on your joke and didn't agree to be on the butt end of it, then to those people you are no different from someone who is actually being a harassing asshole. It just crossed the line in my book. Being supposedly "a nice guy" outside of his roleplaying does not take away from the fact that he intentionally acted like a dick to random people for the entertainment of his stream viewers.

Speaking of Overwatch, Gale_Adelade is another one that turned out to be a milkshake duck. :( He pulled some "women are biologically incapable of being as good at games as men" bullshit.
49UNm2t.png

More here: https://imgur.com/a/F1xDf

I follow a role player (Vader) whose character was raped by another player (Arma 3 Silver Lake RP, I think). The dude who was doing the raping was only banned for a few months. I don't care or tolerate if the person was just "role playing". That shit isn't supposed to be funny or good for entertainment.

Nice to know that MoonMoon is a piece of shit. Will avoid his streams (even though I already do).

PillarEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom