• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Super Friends - August 18th on Netflix

MartyStu

Nah, I agree with you more or less. The show is pretty damn mediocre for pretty much all the reasons you said, as well as not having a good villain either. Alexandra was very bland, not very intimidating at all. And while it was neat that she got replaced, replacing her with Elektra wasn't much of an improvement. Also didn't help that you had the other Hand members that you really just don't give a shit about other than Gao really. Basically, fuck the Hand. Same issue as the

Best thing I can say is that I enjoyed many of the character interactions, especially where Jessica was concerned, her sardonic wit never got old. But yea, I missed most of these guys. And I will admit that this show managed to do the impossible, and got me to tolerate Danny as a character. I am now... fine with his presence. I even bought him and Luke's blossoming friendship.

But yea, show didn't exactly live up to expectations, but it was only 8 episodes at least. (Though it still managed to be sluggish at times...) Speaking of which, I really, really, hope future shows and seasons will have a reduced episode count. I'm excited to see DD S3 the most, as well as the Punisher.

Rankings:

DD S1
Jessica Jones
DD S2 (Punisher's appearances made it easy to rank this over Defenders)
Defenders
Luke Cage
Nothing
Iron Fist

Very good rankings, but I would put Luke Cage second or third.

The first 6 or so episodes before Diamondback comes in are REALLY strong and my picture of what these shows should be.

anyone else skip luke cages scenes cuz of them hip hop beats lol

At first it bothered me, but I realized WHY they do it: he is the only one with a good theme and style associated with him. The bigger problem is that the other three don't have that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
At first it bothered me, but I realized WHY they do it: he is the only one with a good theme and style associated with him. The bigger problem is that the other three don't have that.
They also give Cage a moment where he attacks Rand in a weird BLM moment where he talks about the black struggle and how Rand is full of white privilege, I guess as a response to the criticism of the Iron Fist season.

The closest thing to another character with a moment like that is when they remind you that Daredevil is Catholic by having him go to the confessional early on.

TheOddOne

I wish the visual language was a little more consistent and unique between characters. Jessica and Iron's scenes look too bland and sterile, but Luke and Matt's scenes are full of great color usage. It’s strange that they didn’t stick with Jessica’s purple palette from her series, which is very distinctive. Also Dutch tilt during conversations needs to go, it's utterly distracting.

189syf.jpg

2n4szc.jpg

3k6s26.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so I take it Weaver is not, in fact, The Beast's host as we had hoped initially? >_>

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wish the visual language was a little more consistent and unique between characters. Jessica and Iron's scenes look too bland and sterile, but Luke and Matt's scenes are full of great color usage. It’s strange that they didn’t stick with Jessica’s purple palette from her series, which is very distinctive. Also Dutch tilt during conversations needs to go, it's utterly distracting.
I think the problem is that the purple is associated with her fight with Purple Man than with her as a whole.

I almost wish we got a scene with her as Jewel so they'd have something to play with at least, but I guess only Daredevil gets a dumb costume. lol

MartyStu

I think the problem is that the purple is associated with her fight with Purple Man than with her as a whole.

I almost wish we got a scene with her as Jewel so they'd have something to play with at least, but I guess only Daredevil gets a dumb costume. lol

This actually bothers me a lot.

Luke and Jessica are cool in part because they are plain clothes superheroes. For that to really work, they need costumed heroes to bounce off of.

Danny is 100% the sort of goof to want to wear a costume. Also, he has an identity worth protecting.

TheOddOne

While this is true, it would make more sense to use the purple motif as something she has overcome and now is part of her character. They seem to figuring that out by episode two though, Jessica’s scenes are tinted blue-to-purple, Fist’s green, Luke’s yellow and Matt’s red.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This actually bothers me a lot.

Luke and Jessica are cool in part because they are plain clothes superheroes. For that to really work, they need costumed heroes to bounce off of.

Danny is 100% the sort of goof to want to wear a costume. Also, he has an identity worth protecting.
I think that's basically done, unless they make Punisher wear his silly looking outfit. Somehow Daredevil is the "cape" of this version of the universe unless there are more low-tier heroes that aren't being used by the ABC shows or the movies that are out there.

(Also Danny is too busy moping and feeling sorry for himself to want to wear an outfit lol)

While this is true, it would make more sense to use the purple motif as something she has overcome and now is part of her character. They seem to figuring that out by episode two though, Jessica’s scenes are tinted blue-to-purple, Fist’s green, Luke’s yellow and Matt’s red.
It's probably because the entire show is a blur to me at this point, but the only visual motif I remember is Cage's because of how distinctive it is. Everyone else is just shades of dark... which is basically what the show looks like by the time everyone gets together.

S1kkZ

2 minutes in and i dont want to watch anymore. the first action scene is so fucking terrible. way too many cuts, bad framing, tpp dark and i just have a hard time figuring out what the hell is happening. does it get better or do they continue with the "cant see shit captain" action scenes?

2 minutes in and i dont want to watch anymore. the first action is so fucking terrible. way too many cuts and i just have a hard time figuring out what the hell is happening. does it get better or do they continue with the "cant see shit captain" action`.
You think the action has a lot of cuts, just wait until people are just talking. That will blow your mind.

yunbuns

Well...I finished it like an hour ago.

I consider myself a 'smart' tv watcher; I can understand what's happening with the plot, and don't really need to ask a lot of questions, however, after eight episodes I still don't fully understand the black sky, the substance, and all that other mystical shit outside of the vague definitions like the black sky being a 'weapon' and the substance somehow makes the Hand immortal I guess? They repeat these terms over and over again as if they think that if they say it enough times the audience with automatically get it.

Outside of JJ, which is the only one i truly liked from beginning to end, this didn't make me excited about continuing to watch any of the other shows.

Dynomutt

On episode 5...

Not bad so far. Danny Rand is way more likable in this series than his own show. Maybe they under promised so they could over deliver here.

Only think that gets me is in Episode 4 the look on Alexandra's face when JJ hit Elektra with the car. It kind of suspends me in disbelief because that's the same look she would have if any of the MCU Avengers dropped in. Pretty sure Iron Man or Cap would one shot most of the guys. I think I understand why they are separate now.

Edit: Yup Episode 5 confirms it even more lol! Vision would just head cannon Madame Gao into a old folky farm!

The Hand is so damn unimpressive. How old is it? None of the Fingers give the impression they're ancient. They don't come across as wise. They're just generic baddies.

hobozero

Just finished it. Average. Didn't mind anything too terribly... except...

What was with the terrible hip hop during the big end fight scene?? And did the lyrics reference Spider-man?? What the hell

Edit: removed spoiler tags, forgot which thread this was.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Finished it, yea not great.

But at least The Hand are done and these shows can move forward with something hopefully more interesting.

Also no Punisher cameo made me sad. When the van was outside the restaurant and Matt heard someone loading guns I thought for sure it was him, then a van drives through the restaurant window... and Jones walks out.

Neoxon

That ending scene tho...
11211-daredevil_bornagain06.jpg

They are totally doing Born Again in DD S3.

Also, disappointed that the cave is just some dragon bones and not the seal of The Beast
Didn't they tease Born Again in Daredevil Season 2? The ending scene basically confirmed it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
On episode 5...

Not bad so far. Danny Rand is way more likable in this series than his own show. Maybe they under promised so they could over deliver here.

Only think that gets me is in Episode 4 the look on Alexandra's face when JJ hit Elektra with the car. It kind of suspends me in disbelief because that's the same look she would have if any of the MCU Avengers dropped in. Pretty sure Iron Man or Cap would one shot most of the guys. I think I understand why they are separate now.

Edit: Yup Episode 5 confirms it even more lol! Vision would just head cannon Madame Gao into a old folky farm!
You just have to accept that the Avengers don't exist in this universe, otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

The Hand is as bad or worse than Hydra, but none of the A-team give a shit (or The Shield B team)? Okay.

Toa TAK

Banned
My diareeha of thought as I've just finished the show:

I thought it was a lot of fun. It's certainly on the low tier on the Netflix shows, but I'm glad we got it and I was pretty thrilled with it. I feel like the characters were consistent with their previous shows and while it got pretty silly, it was worth it to see all these characters bounce off each other. Sigourney Weaver was wasted, though, I liked where they were going with her, but even so, it was still better off to have Elektra take over. Even though I know it's not the case, I'm hoping we steer clear of The Hand for awhile, or at least until they inevitably pop up again in Iron Fist Season 2 (has that been confirmed, yet?) Also glad they didn't waste our time with Daredevil's death, just having the reveal that he's still alive was better than waiting in-between seasons for the obvious. Was a little worried some of the supporting cast from each show wouldn't get their due, but I'm glad I was wrong and I'm glad to see that The Defenders isn't a one-off with no bearing on the stories of each of these characters. I'm not expecting Jessica Jones to fight The Hand or anything crazy like that, but seeing the effect of Daredevil's perceived death inspire Iron Fist is great.

Still a bit disappointed in the action, I don't think we've gotten any as good as the Daredevil show as a whole (which is a damn shame considering the Iron Fist show is all kung fu), and the action here wasn't filmed and cut together all too great, I think. And I've already said it, but man, I am tired of The Hand, they feel like they belong in Arrow and wore out their welcome in Daredevil's second season. Especially now that we've seen all five of their leaders and I'm not impressed, man. Their goons feel more threatening than all five of them. I'm glad they kept the series to 8 episodes. Didn't feel like we were meandering. Overall, it's fun, silly, and a bit disappointing in a few aspects, but worth the build up of what I still feel is a fantastic set of series for MCU Netflix (even with the weak Iron Fist).

But for real, all of them should be in jail.

I binged it and I really didn't enjoy it much. Apologies for the text wall of vented frustration in advance...

Why did they bother getting Sigourney Weaver in for that? She deserved better.

Why did Hogarth only appear once? When she first appeared (back in JJ?), I presumed she would be involved with bringing the heroes together when this show eventually happened but nope, they just so happen to all go to the bank building at the same time.

Stick's hand bandaging was the laziest 'severed limb' make up I've ever seen. Somehow the severed limb was longer than the other one?

How did Colleen's teacher - whose name I can't recall because he was that interesting - come back to life? Or didn't he die? He was so dull in Iron Fist that I can't remember.

It takes the Iron Fist to knock Cage down! Or just a punch from Elektra because reasons.

I would enjoy these shows a lot more if the following characters were killed off in one fell swoop by Thanos or something: Elektra, Foggy, Karen, Danny Rand.

And why, after five FIVE overlong solo seasons setting this up did it end in a terrible plastic -looking cave under New York?

OmniGamer

The end sequence was pretty funny (for me), considering what Teen Jean and Psylocke just did in Jean's latest solo issue.

Yay! Misty Knight finally loses her arm.

When will Danny learn how to channel his Chi through both fists simultaneously?

Glad there was no petty or jealousy vibes from any of the women that Luke slept with

I am so fucking confused.

So The Hand Finger Folk want to go back to K'un-Lun but it has been destroyed and they did it. What the fuck? Where is what huh how?

Fucking dragons? Ok, that's the least confusing bit.

The action is so fucking off. I think we have a contender for the worst action so far and this means worse than Diamomdback. Like, Luke gets bodied by The Dark Sky but Matt goes toe to toe with her? Gao now has telekinesis?

What was Sigorney Weaver's role? I know she was the one that lead the defection but that's it. She spends time going on about her love for the Dark Sky and no one knows why. Also, listen Weaver, we get it you're old.

I don't think much of the show made much sense. Why do these fuckers still use swords?! Like whhhhhhhhhy.

Sinatar

So The Hand Finger Folk want to go back to K'un-Lun but it has been destroyed and they did it. What the fuck? Where is what huh how?

Yea this shit was so fucking dumb. All Gao talks about is wanting to return to K'un-Lun and that getting the dragon bones will somehow allow that? But they already went there and destroyed it?

The fuck?

hobozero

Yea this shit was so fucking dumb. All Gao talks about is wanting to return to K'un-Lun and that getting the dragon bones will somehow allow that? But they already went there and destroyed it?

The fuck?

It made Luthor's plans in BvS seem downright cogent.

Dynomutt

That ending scene tho...
11211-daredevil_bornagain06.jpg

They are totally doing Born Again in DD S3.

Also, disappointed that the cave is just some dragon bones and not the seal of The Beast

When i think of Karen Page in Born Again I can't help but think of a few bars from Nice&Smooth "Sometimes I Rhyme Slow"!

Time went on I started noticing weight loss
Then I had to ask her was she riding the white horse
At first she said no, then she said yo Smooth I'm sorry
But I keep having visions of snow, I need blow
And I said whoa, little hottie
I'm not DeLorean, Gambino or Gotti
I don't deal coke, and furthermore you're making me broke
I'll put you in a rehab and I won't tell your folks
And what do you know
In 18 months she came home and I let her back in
And now she's sniffing again...

Sinatar

Also digging some dragon bones out of the dirt would cause most of New York to collapse? They weren't that big...

The more I sit and think about this show the dumber it gets.

Just finished it. Average. Didn't mind anything too terribly... except...

What was with the terrible hip hop during the big end fight scene?? And did the lyrics reference Spider-man?? What the hell

Edit: removed spoiler tags, forgot which thread this was.

Ok if old school Hip-hop isn't your thing but Protect Ya Neck by The Wu Tang Clan is classic

I thought the show was pretty fun for what it was. Slow first episode but watching the various casts come together is dope. Danny was pretty cool in this, especially compared to his own show. Cox, Ritter & Colter nail their characters though. Daredevil is my favorite but his ending was kinda meh, to me. I'm glad he finally landed a somersault kick in the last episode, too bad it wasn't a takedown.

LotusHD

Banned
Honestly I dunno how the fuck Alexandra was leading anything lmao

They should've made Gao the leader, or at least make her quickly betray the leader and have her take over, she was a lot better than her.

Dynomutt

Also how can people still be surprised after the event? I mean a portal opened up in the sky and an armada of aliens came through almost destroying New York amongst other incidents like a Thunder God arriving and a robot turning a city into mag lev bomb.

hobozero

Ok if old school Hip-hop isn't your thing but Protect Ya Neck by The Wu Tang Clan is classic

I thought the show was pretty fun for what it was. Slow first episode but watching the various casts come together is dope. Danny was pretty cool in this, especially compared to his own show. Cox, Ritter & Colter nail their characters though. Daredevil is my favorite but his ending was kinda meh, to me. I'm glad he finally landed a somersault kick in the last episode, too bad it wasn't a takedown.

Let me rephrase - terribly random hip hop. Like, climactic end battle and all of a sudden Wu Tang is playing out of nowhere? Daredevil is kicking a dude while Inspectah Deck is yelling about my "neighborhood Spider-man"? :) I was barely keeping my disbelief together with the don't-think-about-it-too-hard Evil Plot (tm), and that just struck me as so odd.

hobozero

Honestly I dunno how the fuck Alexandra was leading anything lmao

They should've made Gao the leader, or at least make her quickly betray the leader and have her take over, she was a lot better than her.

Also, how the hell did that MRI session go?

"Your red blood cell count is very high. Also your heart doesn't appear to be beating. That's probably bad."

LotusHD

Banned
Also, how the hell did that MRI session go?

"Your red blood cell count is very high. Also your heart doesn't appear to be beating. That's probably bad."

I completely forgot about that lol

----

Oh yea, so Gao was pretty prominent in this, but in IF, last thing she was doing was spying on IF's Davos and Joy. Wonder if she'll reach out to them in IF S2.

Watched about 2 episodes and ditched it.

Smh

Jake2by4

Also how can people still be surprised after the event? I mean a portal opened up in the sky and an armada of aliens came through almost destroying New York amongst other incidents like a Thunder God arriving and a robot turning a city into mag lev bomb.
Parallel dimensions!?!? Or people in the tv universe people live in LaLa land

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm...didn't like Sigourney Weaver's character like, at all....Gao did a whole lot more, and worked waaaaay better as a counterfoil in going between Alexandra and Danny.

Every Defender had some good one-liners (especially Jessica), but all in all I think the low-'quality' fight scenes really detracted from things - and introducing the Hand as the main enemy where Jessica and Luke had zero exposure to them felt kinda odd.

Also, when the power usage is totally inconsistent to fit the needs of the plot, it feels super hammy/awkward.

I didn't hate it, but it definitely didn't have as much of the highs as some of JJ, DDS2, or the 1st half of LC. At 8 episodes, it didn't have as many lows either, but it didn't really push the envelope aside from some good heroic banter between each character, and some decent interaction therein.

Kind of curious which plot line they pick up for JJ season 2 after this - didn't really seem like they had any big setup - which, while kind of freeing, is also kind of aimless - especially if her and Luke are still exes at this point.

Pachimari

Finished it. I liked it.

Weird that we didn't get to see Iron Fist in his green suit like we see it in the promotional material though. Weird.

And that Punisher teaser was kind of disappointing but still better than nothing.

Now I hope this was it for the Hand, and we can finally move on with other plotpoints. At least this show got me interested in the Netflix universe again.

Btw, that was Shao Lao in the cave wasn't it? I didn't pick up on it cause I was messaging someone at the time lol.

Top Bottom