• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT10| Ultimate Infuriation

I need help to get rid of an 80G before new quests happen in 40 mins...

E0xsFkPl.png

No chance I am getting the other ones done in this timeframe

ThomasMc#21494 (EU Account)

Quote me so I know you are not a horrible lurker person :)

edit - have to go out now, but happy to play someone later for 80G if they have the time

Cat Party

E0xsFkPl.png

Play solo against the default warlock. You'll win 7 games in 20 minutes easy.

wiibomb

E0xsFkPl.png

oh man, that's a damn good hand of quests lol.

I can't help you though, don't know why blizzard doesn't let people complete quests across regions.

manhack

They're playing those to beat the priest. It's still the most played deck.

At least it seems you can target priest, unlike pre-nerf Jade Druid. Maybe I'm misreading this though. Hoping to get some actual game time in this weekend since I'm mostly watching the meta from reddit/GAF this week.

i think with next rotation blizzard would be best to split ranked, local mode or worldwide mode, just separate (deal with it) to give you the option, which is mostly for the next thing;
if the game has all of the cards in the data, put up an option to play in a pool of each year's rotation. let people play with the cards that were legal as they were in that year. then the year means something other than a basis for youtube videos. idc if it splits into queues i play wild and wait sometimes and being able to select worldwide would nullify that negative anyway

Pooya

At least it seems you can target priest, unlike pre-nerf Jade Druid. Maybe I'm misreading this though. Hoping to get some actual game time in this weekend since I'm mostly watching the meta from reddit/GAF this week.

I don't know if priest is performing worse than before, it's too soon to say without any data, maybe next week, but the meta is certainly a lot more hostile for it. Hunters and rogue should be tough for it to beat with constant minion pressure, but it still can beat anything with a little bit of luck.

TankUP

image.png

Looks like Rogue was the surprise biggest winner of the nerfs, being played pretty much as much as Priest at Legend ranks.

It's amazing to me that the popularity of Hunter and the popularity of aggro/tempo/prince Rogue are both due to Asmodai, who has hit legend rank 1 with both, multiple times, recently.

No surprise at all that Warrior is 9th class. Great job nerfing war axe, guys, thanks for deleting the class from the game.

"But, but Levi, war axe on two greatly increases warrior's win rate, it had to go"

Okay, straw man, but what about Prince Keleseth on two? That has a MUCH bigger impact on Rogue's winrate than War axe ever had for Warrior.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Priest thought it was a good idea to go double northshire against a wide shaman board with a healing totem already there. It went funny.

fertygo

I'm pretty sure can brought control pally to good rank in legend if just had time climbing with it

only true unwinnable matchup is priest, but if their number stay not oppresive as currently is, its should've fine

its should rake free wins from these hunter, tempo rogue and shaman

maybe next month I try going for it

I think control paladin is decent. Worst match up was jade druid because of how freaking fast they built a board (thanks innervate). They can probably compete now. The other deck that was terrifying for control paladin was murloc paladin imo. It was too easy for murloc paladin to snowball and become quasi-immune to equality. That is no longer a major concern.

I think it largely had pwar covered.

In this new meta, keleseth rogue is prob an issue to some extent. Maybe not though tbh. You can aldor a lot of things. Equality is pretty reliable clear. And they don't pressure you the same way pwar does with turn 5 kills generally speaking. I doubt paladin is favored but it's probably winnable.

Priest on the other hand, man... I dunno about that match up ever being won by paladin. Maybe with the right tech? Even then it's questionable. Most are running vellen for the burst so playing around lethal is really difficult when your opponent can hit you for 15-20 damage in a single turn. Even if you're not dead you have to deal with vellen and heal back up in the same turn.

So control paladin might be tier 2 at best. Probably not nearly good enough for tier 1.

There is always the OTK deck. Not sure how good it is. I haven't played it much even though I crafted auctioneer and burgly bullies for it lol.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Okay, straw man, but what about Prince Keleseth on two? That has a MUCH bigger impact on Rogue's winrate than War axe ever had for Warrior.
To be fair, you can only run one Keleseth, which makes actually drawing it half as likely.

Cat Party

I haven't run Hearthstone on my PC since the patch. Battlenet is now stuck saying "Waiting on another installation or update" and won't load the game. I even uninstalled Hearthstone and it still says the same thing. I have no other Blizzard games installed. Anyone know a solution?

EDIT: duh, checked the online support and solved the problem

Miletius

Alright, whose playing zoo on stream? Just faced 3 zoo players in a row where zoo was nonexistent yesterday. We are truly in the dank memes portion of the meta right now.

Kangi

Alright, whose playing zoo on stream? Just faced 3 zoo players in a row where zoo was nonexistent yesterday. We are truly in the dank memes portion of the meta right now.

Trump did a high-winrate Zoolock run today.

Always funny how predictable that is. I played a bunch of ranked the other night after Dog did a long Hunter stream, and out of nowhere, wall of Hunters who don't know how to use their cards.

Does anyone agree that custom decks that stray off the beaten path have an advantage against net-decked, popular decks that people know how to counter? It sounds like common sense, but does that work in practice?

IceMarker

Players are gravitating to, and subsequently hating on the next best fastest deck. How surprising!

It's almost like some of us want to see the fabled control meta some of us have dreamed of for ages and KotFT is the closest we've ever gotten while still failing at it.

jJQWaoQ.gif

Dahbomb

Patches still being played in decks?

Yes?

Guess the problem must be War Axe, Buccaneer, Nzoth's First Mate, Bloodsail Corsair, Ship's Cannon, Innervate, (insert random card here) and not Patches. /s

My dream meta is one where a LOT of viable decks exist, and no matter my matchup I feel like my plays, and my opponent's plays, won or lost me the game.

Does anyone agree that custom decks that stray off the beaten path have an advantage against net-decked, popular decks that people know how to counter? It sounds like common sense, but does that work in practice?

Absolutely, so long as your deck is good. Even making small changes to a meta deck can help your winrate. For example, I played against an Aggro Druid last night, and I kept Primordial Drake in my hand waaaay too long because I assumed he had Living Mana in his deck, and I didn't want to get rid of one of my very few answers to that card prematurely. But it turns out he runs a Beast Druid package alongside his normal Aggro Druid Package instead of Living Mana and a few other cards, so he beat me because I was playing around cards that didn't exist.

If I would have played the Primordial Drake earlier to manage one of his other board-fillers, I probably would have won.

I'm a huge fan of Jade Druid right now, and outside of the Jade + Draw + Ramp package, I am wondering which of these packages I want to include:
Feral Rages + Spreading Plague + Medivh
Scales + Raven Idol + Auctioneer
Spreading Plague + Mark of the Lotus + Medivh

Among other variations. These slight changes have a huge influence on my how my matches play out. Right now I have Feral Rage + Doomsayer, but no Spreading Plague. When I play Doomsayer on turn 2, I've had a lot of aggro decks concede on the spot, especially when I play double ramp on my next turn and they know that they won't be able to catch up. Cool! But I also lost against a Midrange Paladin deck because he kept flooding the board, and Doomsayer wouldn't live the turn. Spreading Plague would have won me that match with total ease. But against control decks being able to draw through your deck with Auctioneer and 1-mana spells is extremely appealing, because your real win condition is drawing through your deck so you can start the Jade Idol chain.

While all of these packages (and other options) are optimal in different settings, my goal is to figure out which combination offers the best options for covering various matchups AND surprising my opponents. A lot of Jade Druids are running Spreading Plague + Doomsayer, for example, because people don't want to burn their hard removal on a 0/7 when Jades will continually be ramping up throughout the game.

If you straight netdeck, you're missing out on a lot of opportunity to explore fun things in this game.

Patches still being played in decks?

Yes?

Guess the problem must be War Axe, Buccaneer, Nzoth's First Mate, Bloodsail Corsair, Ship's Cannon, Innervate, (insert random card here) and not Patches. /s

I don't think anyone doubts the power of patches. But they nerfed FWA because it's not rotating ever and patches will be.

edit:
I also feel like it's worth pointing out that they never intended all fast decks to go away. They wanted to shake things up to hopefully creating a much better meta, which is one that can fluctuate without one deck standing atop it permanently like jade druid had, or even as pirate warrior stood tier 1 for so long I suppose.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't think anyone doubts the power of patches. But they nerfed FWA because it's not rotating ever and patches will be.

Blizzard in 2016: We think it is important to have powerful evergreen cards to give the game some stability.
Blizzard in 2017: We think it is important that evergreen cards be terrible to keep the game fresh.

We all get that. It's still silly and bonkers how many rounds of nerfs it's avoided.

Not a fan of this approach in general. Like if Primordial Glyph doesn't get touched next round, it's probably never getting touched because hey, it's just going to rotate in a little over a year from then. And on and on.

There's a bit of cynicism there, too, when it comes to dust refunds.

Blizzard in 2016: We think it is important to have powerful evergreen cards to give the game some stability.
Blizzard in 2017: We think it is important that evergreen cards be terrible to keep the game fresh.

I think we know that their goal is to ensure the meta changes and that classic/basic cards still represent a significant portion of decks which is contrary to that goal. And it's obviously a delicate line to walk. One the one hand you want a set that helps define the flavor of each class and brings familiarity for players who return to game. On the other hand they want to reduce the impact of those cards at higher levels of play, where the meta actually develops and changes.

I don't really find these statements contradictory when put in proper context. Besides, 3 mana 3/2 weapon is far from terrible.

We all get that. It's still silly and bonkers how many rounds of nerfs it's avoided.

Not a fan of this approach in general. Like if Primordial Glyph doesn't get touched next round, it's probably never getting touched because hey, it's just going to rotate in a little over a year from then. And on and on.

There's a bit of cynicism there, too, when it comes to dust refunds.

As strong of a card glyph is, I am not convinced it needs a nerf.

Did I think patches needs a nerf? It was listed in my nerf list, so definitely. But I see where if they are trying to nerf just pirate warrior they'd target FWA and not patches because in the future they might end up with the same issue with nerfing FWA or another card. Maybe they hope to avoid that problem by nerfing FWA now?

I think we know that their goal is to ensure the meta changes and that classic/basic cards still represent a significant portion of decks which is contrary to that goal. And it's obviously a delicate line to walk. One the one hand you want a set that helps define the flavor of each class and brings familiarity for players who return to game. On the other hand they want to reduce the impact of those cards at higher levels of play, where the meta actually develops and changes.

I don't really find these statements contradictory when put in proper context. Besides, 3 mana 3/2 weapon is far from terrible.

As strong of a card glyph is, I am not convinced it needs a nerf.

Did I think patches needs a nerf? It was listed in my nerf list, so definitely. But I see where if they are trying to nerf just pirate warrior they'd target FWA and not patches because in the future they might end up with the same issue with nerfing FWA or another card. Maybe they hope to avoid that problem by nerfing FWA now?

PW isn't why Patches is a problem though. Its power level overall is the problem, which is why it eventually forces its inclusion and the inclusion of at least two other other cards in so many fast decks. If it was a Warrior only card then I could see that viewpoint. But it's not.

Glyph is effectively a 0 net mana discover a spell. It needs something. It would still be played in some decks without the cost reduction at all because mage spells are some of the best cards in the game.

PW isn't why Patches is a problem though. Its power level overall is the problem, which is why it eventually forces its inclusion and the inclusion of at least two other other cards in so many fast decks. If it was a Warrior only card then I could see that viewpoint. But it's not.

Glyph is effectively a 0 net mana discover a spell. It needs something. It would still be played in some decks without the cost reduction at all because mage spells are some of the best cards in the game.

I think the intent here was to shake up the meta by targeting specific decks. And I think they were targeting pwar specifically, not just good cards like patches in general. So the intent being to nerf pwar explains why FWA was even an option and I am sure it was considered next to nerfing patches.

I think it is worth noting that pwar was already a strong deck before patches, but simply outclassed in every way by dragon warrior. It was only when patches was introduced that pwar saw play but not because pwar was bad before patches but because it was just a weaker dragon warrior list before patches. Would nerfing patches bring it's winrate more in line? Maybe? I guess we'll never know for sure.

Sure, glyph is strong. I've had my share of loses from a seemingly random meteor or 3rd ice block, etc.. Blizzard has like a standard of "broken" power level higher than most people do though. The card has to be really busted for them to act on it. Like call of the wild busted, undertaker, grim patron OTK combo, etc.. Hell, we didn't even have UI nerf and I think that is for sure higher up on the chopping block than glyph.

I think control mage of last meta wasn't a deck that needed to be nerfed. It was a deck you could easily target with several decks in the meta. I know dragon priest did very well against it since their huge minions were difficult to deal with. And I know control decks with healing were strong against it because it shut down the alexstrasza method of winning, leaving medivh as the only real way which could be defeated by weapon removal.

I don't think quest mage is a real threat still. So why nerf primordial glyph? Secret mage?

Pooya

Glyph is effectively a 0 net mana discover a spell.

It's mostly better than a card like that actually, it allows you to bank mana across two turns and counts as two spells played. Second spell potentially costing 0 or 1 can be huge too when you're holding cards as opposed to pay 0 cost upfront but the other spell is normal cost, it helps you play multiple cards together easier and plan ahead easier.

Top Bottom