• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

You are not supposed to get mvp cards in arcade. Stop being a tryhard.

Reported

I think he was mad me and my friend were spawn camping them on Junkertown as Tracer and Sombra lol.

I was just trying to get practice in and I just kept hacking their Mercy and Tracer nonstop, and their Torb was doing gods knows what and failing

I think he was mad me and my friend were spawn camping them on Junkertown as Tracer and Sombra lol.

I was just trying to get practice in and I just kept hacking their Mercy and Tracer nonstop, and their Torb was doing gods knows what and failing

People getting salty on arcade to the point of reporting lol

Picks don't mean anything anymore. Get a kill and it's gonna get Rezzed.

I'll take that over team kills being nullified honestly.

Also I'm seeing a lot of mercys dying while rezing since the people that died are completely out of position sometimes.

People getting salty on arcade to the point of reporting lol

I'll take that over team kills being nullified honestly.

Also I'm seeing a lot of mercys dying while rezing since the people that died are completely out of position sometimes.

I am worried that team fights are going to drawn out stall fests because of it, the only way to push is a team kill. :/

Veelk

Banned
I've been mainly playing Deathmatch today, but does anyone else not have the PotG highlights not show up? The audio is there, but the videoes don't load and all I get is a black screen.

Veelk

Banned
it absolutely would make things better, by quite a margin

Why don't we implement a system where we put lower ranked players in concentration camps too while we're at it. They're just animals.

Jesus, every player would throw the game as hard as they could, and if they were smart they could do it without penalizing themselves, and I wouldn't blame them one bit. I'd certainly do it if it was done to me. It's fucking asinine.

Why don't we implement a system where we put lower ranked players in concentration camps too while we're at it. They're just animals.

Jesus, every player would throw the game as hard as they could, and if they were smart they could do it without penalizing themselves, and I wouldn't blame them one bit. I'd certainly do it if it was done to me. It's fucking asinine.

you guys already throw every game so nothing changes there. at least you wont throw whilst also preventing us from properly playing a character slot we need

Veelk

Banned
you guys already throw every game so nothing changes there. at least you wont throw whilst also preventing us from properly playing a character slot we need

You are a bigger problem to this community than the lowest ranked player in the world whose genuinely trying his best, regardless of the character in which he plays. Your entire methodology of the game is just to make less skilled players lives miserable and be as contemptible of them as possible.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone unlucky enough to be stuck on a team with you is entitled to throw.

You are a bigger problem to this community than the lowest ranked player in the world whose genuinely trying his best, regardless of the character in which he plays. Your entire methodology of the game is just to make less skilled players lives miserable and be as contemptible of them as possible.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone unlucky enough to be stuck on a team with you is entitled to throw.

no, my methodology when playing competitive is to win

At the cost of other people's enjoyment of the game. Which as far as I'm concerned means that you forfeit your right to your own.

you have no business even playing competitive. you are the problem. go yolo all you want in 1 of the various other modes made specifically for players like you who just wanna have some fun/shits n giggles

Veelk

Banned
you have no business even playing competitive. you are the problem. go yolo all you want in 1 of the various other modes made specifically for players like you who just wanna have some fun/shits n giggles

What the fuck are you talking about? I'm in my desired rank and played similarly skilled players to myself. I'm not boosted and I don't even have much of a desire to reach grandmaster. And when I play, I try to flex to what the team needs. I communicate and try to work with my team.

How the fuck are you even supposed to get better in this team dependent game if I'm not playing the only mode where people actually get on mic, communicate, and otherwise strategize? Even if you want to one trick, you can't learn to truly get good with that until you get a team that works with you.

This entire statement is stupid as hell and it's hard to even begin to unwrap it. Competitive mode is for people who want to play the game in a more serious way. But not so serious that they aren't allowed to play who they want. This isn't a fucking pro tournament, it's a videogame. You're supposed to have fun with it, competitive included.

So I very much stand by my statement. You are the problem. What you're doing here, showing contempt for anyone who isn't as good at a videogame as you, genuinely desiring a system you can abuse lower skilled players with, this is what toxicity is. If this is how you think and act because you want to win, then you deserve to lose.

What the fuck are you talking about? I'm in my desired rank and played similarly skilled players to myself. I'm not boosted and I don't even have much of a desire to reach grandmaster. And when I play, I try to flex to what the team needs. I communicate and try to work with my team.

How the fuck are you even supposed to get better in this team dependent game if I'm not playing the only mode where people actually get on mic, communicate, and otherwise strategize? Even if you want to one trick, you can't learn to truly get good with that until you get a team that works with you.

This entire statement is stupid as hell and it's hard to even begin to unwrap it. Competitive mode is for people who want to play the game in a more serious way. But not so serious that they aren't allowed to play who they want. This isn't a fucking pro tournament, it's a videogame. You're supposed to have fun with it, competitive included.

So I very much stand by my statement. You are the problem. What you're doing here, showing contempt for anyone who isn't as good at a videogame as you, genuinely desiring a system you can abuse lower skilled players with, this is what toxicity is. If this is how you think and act because you want to win, then you deserve to lose.

you know all your posts about the issues with quickplay? well imagine if every 3rd game in competitive was just like that due to blizzard mix and matching ranks with about that frequency

NeoRaider

bF6Cp.jpg

Veelk

Banned
you know all your posts about the issues with quickplay? well imagine if every 3rd game in competitive was just like that due to blizzard mix and matching ranks with about that frequency

And? As much as it annoys me, as much as I get frustrated or exasperated, I would never, ever seriously suggest a system that just punished people for picking a character I didn't want them to pick. The problem that I see with QP is the system not giving people a reason to try to win, not the people playing it. Blizzard could improve that, sure, but I don't take my anger out on the players for it. Or at the very least, when I do, I can recognize that that's me being immature and petty, not that I'm right to do so.

I get people who make bad picks in competitive too. Boo hoo. It's can be frustrating, but it's their right to play how they want, and it's all the more fun for me when against all reason somehow an attack torbjorn ends up working. And if not, then oh well, a lost game. I'll live.

So I don't care how bad your games are. You don't get to act like an shitheel because of it. You don't get to throw away basic decency to other players for any reason. And if you are going to act like this to the community, there's no reason for you to be here.

Veelk

Banned
Icecold da god

Is soldier still the most oppressive old man in your life veelk ��

Yup, still feels it to me. Which, btw, if you're gonna strawman my argument, do remember that you're strawmanning it from the the argument that I don't find him terribly unbalanced so much as I just don't think he adds much enjoyment to the game by nature of his design, which I have admitted on multiple times that it is a very personal and subjective position to hold.

I had a game not too long ago with a smurf who was clearly better in his main account named after soldier. No one could kill him and he dominated the team. So played correctly, he can wreak a lot of havok. Maybe you could say the same about any major DPS, but none of it feels as insufferable as Soldier to me.

pizzacat

Banned
Yup, still feels it to me. Which, btw, if you're gonna strawman my argument, do remember that you're strawmanning it from the the argument that I don't find him terribly unbalanced so much as I just don't think he adds much enjoyment to the game by nature of his design, which I have admitted on multiple times that it is a very personal and subjective position to hold.

I had a game not too long ago with a smurf who was clearly better in his main account named after soldier. No one could kill him and he dominated the team. So played correctly, he can wreak a lot of havok. Maybe you could say the same about any major DPS, but none of it feels as insufferable as Soldier to me.
i was implying icecold is old af

But your soldier thing is still good

Veelk

Banned
i was implying icecold is old af

But your soldier thing is still good
Ah. Sorry. It's late. Early, actually, but either way, I haven't slept. Makes me a bit more irritable and that means I don't always think through what I say. So my bad for reading your post wrong.

And, yes, as always, fuck soldier.

Icecold seems like one of those DPS players who bullied plats and diamonds with mechanical skill then he got stuck in masters LOL. Typical egotistical masters player who can only aim; sounds like every former Quake player who just shoots people in OW. He probably can't deal with macro stuff and adjustments from masters-GM LMAO.

The disturbing thing is, Icecold's remarks are right. The majority of the playerbase below masters-GM is that bad. You guys just hate the truth; circle jerk and call anyone who disagrees with you a troll.

I want to say that if they're cool with keeping Junk's current mine setup then they should probably bring back his self damage off grenades even if it's just in a reduced form.
I feel like he's potentially more of an in your face close range threat than characters like Rein and Doom who are actually using melee based attacks (in turn his double mines allow space creation among these two actually attacking him), and this is on top of his mid range capability. All entirely because he can now just fire grenades point blank without consequence for massive damage.
And then earns a wheel in seconds which he can now pop off and blow up where he is to no self harm, sure he may die by someone else's hands before that wheel goes off by being so brazen but who cares eh when you've just blasted a whole mob to bits and don't need to be alive to detonate it?

Basically, he may be better and more viable now but he's arguably just plain dumb now as well.

as disappointed as the community is in the state of the game
*sensible chuckle*

I want to say that if they're cool with keeping Junk's current mine setup then they should probably bring back his self damage off grenades even if it's just in a reduced form.
I feel like he's potentially more of an in your face close range threat than characters like Rein and Doom who are actually using melee based attacks (in turn his double mines allow space creation among these two actually attacking him), and this is on top of his mid range capability. All entirely because he can now just fire grenades point blank without consequence for massive damage.
And then earns a wheel in seconds which he can now pop off and blow up where he is to no self harm, sure he may die by someone else's hands before that wheel goes off by being so brazen but who cares eh when you've just blasted a whole mob to bits and don't need to be alive to detonate it?

Basically, he may be better and more viable now but he's arguably just plain dumb now as well.

Yup. Pays to just fire blindly all of the time, any hit is a good hit. Junk easily gets 3-4 ults a round too. I can't think of many other characters that can manage that. He's just frustrating as hell to play against, and have on your team, as more often than not people play him simply because they can play blindly, aimlessly and solo. Or at least that's how it comes across in Bronze/Silver.

Yup. Pays to just fire blindly all of the time, any hit is a good hit. Junk easily gets 3-4 ults a round too. I can't think of many other characters that can manage that. He's just frustrating as hell to play against, and have on your team, as more often than not people play him simply because they can play blindly, aimlessly and solo. Or at least that's how it comes across in Bronze/Silver.

This actually brings up another point, back over a year ago when I and my friends were new to the game, Junkrat was a real pain in the arse at the lower levels of play for a variety of reasons.
In general grenade spam and traps are much more effective with the lesser awareness you tend to have in the earlier stages, oh and the martydom style 'nades as well.

This tapered off more and more as playtime increased and understanding/ranks went up, now with these various new changes amounting we've reaching a point where he's more viable a character at higher levels (I think, not sure on the pro scene standpoint)
Which then leads me to think that he must be an absolute menace in Bronze/Silver, must be a pain trying to balance in order to appease the side that wants more variety in pro/top competitive play and those who are just playing more casually.

With Junkertown and new Mercy I don't even want to try comp right now. Is anyone else on comp hiatus for awhile?

I've been on comp hiatus ever since the game paired me with players who kept all going DPS 4 games in a row. Seriously. 2-3 of them were the same ones in a row, the others were new into the mix.
I just gave in after that. I usually pick what the team set up needs, but man when they all go DPS, won't talk/communicate and just go gung-ho for 4 games in a row on comp... that was enough. I wish I was exaggerating too, I really do. What are you supposed to do? Go Tank and try to provide cover? Go healer and try to heal them? Go DPS and join in the fuckery?

I'd like to hope the Overwatch devs played in Bronze/Silver now and again to see just how messed up it is. From my experience the players down there don't give a fuck and just want to have their own personal fun, leaving he few that want to get back into silver/gold to struggle with the madness.

This actually brings up another point, back over a year ago when I and my friends were new to the game, Junkrat was a real pain in the arse at the lower levels of play for a variety of reasons.
In general grenade spam and traps are much more effective with the lesser awareness you tend to have in the earlier stages, oh and the martydom style 'nades as well.

This tapered off more and more as playtime increased and understanding/ranks went up, now with these various new changes amounting we've reaching a point where he's more viable a character at higher levels (I think, not sure on the pro scene standpoint)
Which then leads me to think that he must be an absolute menace in Bronze/Silver, must be a pain trying to balance in order to appease the side that wants more variety in pro/top competitive play and those who are just playing more casually.

You know that each team will have a Junk nearly 100% of the time on bronze/silver, simply because of the high returns. Then they'll justify their general solo play when they get the inevitable POTG from their ult spams. I mean, I wouldn't want to try and start to balance this game for top and bottom, but it would be nice if the bottom wasn't just left to rot and told to 'deal with it' and 'GIT GUD'. As, believe me, we're trying, but it's perhaps one of the hardest places to learn unless you have a duo/triple to play with.

EDIT:

A lot of this random balancing and buffing reminds me of the changes WoW went through with the character classes all due to PVP. Various classes complaining their weren't viable and suffered at the hands of others (some rightly so), but at the end of the day it felt like all the classes ended up being the same ability wise. And druids still ruled. haha

I discovered it was a free weekend, so I tried this out on PC.

It was the first time I played a PC shooter in more than 7 years. Holy SHIT am I bad. I can barely WASD without my fingers feeling like they are gonna lock up.

Oh well, better keep at it all weekend. I got bored of playing this game on PS4, so I hope I can improve

wait, what?

Are you saying Quake is all about aim? Quake duels is the real 4D chess of FPS. Item controll, map controll and timing is very important in that game.

Take a look at this vid, Rapha goes through his game with Cooller.

https://youtu.be/XdkDjsBiO58?t=244

Dude don't put Icecold and Rapha in the same sentence.

Yeah I agree regarding Quake. I am referring to pub stompers who are mechanically good at lightning gun and other weapons; same people who get stuck in masters in OW.

Esca is like mechanically average or below average for a T1 DPS, but he is very smart and has a good game sense.

Gorillaz

fucked around with my smurf for the first time in a month to see what it would place just playing reaper and whatever else and this shit placed in diamond while my main slipped way under that

not even touching the smurf till my own is higher might become a reaper main since apparently I do better with taking out a pharah then soldiers do at this level

Anne

I agree that most people below Master (and a lot of masters too) have zero ideas how the game works and it's the most frustrating shit. I don't blame them for it though, it's not like there's anything in the game to help with that.

people holding onto mercy's ult like they waiting for a 5 man res. then dying and not even popping ult when the there's like less than 30 seconds left.

antitrop

Eunited just ran 4DPS with a solo Rein and solo Mercy (tournament is being played on an old patch before Mercy buff) in Contenders. Console meta.

Just popping in here to say that Junkertown sucks.

Still enjoying the rest of the game a lot, but Junkertown can fuck right off.

I like the map a lot. I have no idea how to hold the first point because my team always dies immediately on Defense. But I'm super familiar with the last point already!

Top Bottom