• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX Release Date: July 11, 2010

botticus

donny2112 said:
Uh-Oh. $40 price on Amazon. Nintendo publishing was supposed to mean no Square-Enix tax. Hopefully, it's just a placeholder price. :(
If it isn't, hurry! http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77241

Aeana said:
Yes, which worked fine in Japan, but isn't going to go over well in the west at all.
That's what made me raise an eyebrow at Kotaku's comment about the game being made for the West. Also their question of whether it would have the same sales impact as in Japan

Edgeward

Coming out way sooner than I thought! I may need to change my gaming list so I can get this on release week. :D Terrible it's still staying local co-op, the only other DQ fan I know is 250 miles away.

Celine

Shiggy said:
4621113131_bd3ba143c1_o.jpg
So good.

Aeana

Scythesurge said:
The difference between the $40 S E price or the $35 Nintendo price isn't going to upset me.
Fans probably aren't really going to take issue with the price. But it's generally accepted that the $40 "SE tax" price really doesn't help sales at all. For those of us who want the series to finally stop tanking in the west, seeing Nintendo repeat SE's mistake is quite saddening. So hopefully the $40 price is not correct.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
*surprised*
1) Awesomely sooner than I could have hoped.
2) EU version is actually keeping its number?!

donny2112

mjc said:
I'll pay $40 for this game, no big deal.

Not a big deal for you or the 50K other people who bought DQIV/DQV at $40. If they want this game to actually sell decently, though, dropping the Square-Enix tax (all $10 of it) is probably a necessary prerequisite.

Aeana said:
Fans probably aren't really going to take issue with the price. But it's generally accepted that the $40 "SE tax" price really doesn't help sales at all. For those of us who want the series to finally stop tanking in the west, seeing Nintendo repeat SE's mistake is quite saddening. So hopefully the $40 price is not correct.

This. :)

madara

Come to papa! Took long enough! I've been in withdrawal since DQ5. DQ6 better make it this year too. Hope Nintendo can market this better then SE.

Aeana said:
I agree it would be for the best. But either way you're getting at least a $5 tax on the game from Nintendo.

Yottamole

Banned
neo2046 said:
wow!! what a homepage URL!! :lol
I never think of a website link that is combined by DQ & nintendo

http://dragonquest.nintendo.com/
Well, there was that Itadaki Street game that starred both DQ and Mario characters...

Anyway I'm super excited about this game. I've played 1-7, still playing 8 right now, but with 9 being portable I might end up finishing it before 8.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Scythesurge said:
While I like it, this is totally an "Angry Kirby" box art. :lol

They also focused heavily on characters that look much older than the characters on the Japanese box art.

This is actually a really solid marketing approach for the Western market. I'm impressed.

donny2112 said:
Unless the GameStop price is a placeholder, too. Professor Layton is $30 in the U.S., and so is Nintendogs. $35 for a Nintendo published title is not a foregone conclusion.
It's not definite but I'd say it's very likely. You could also say Rhythm Heaven is only $20, but we all know DQ IX aint releasing for that price!

neo2046

CruxisMana said:
Finally.

I've been waiting for this game
to use as a starting point, since I've never played a DQ game before.

as a starting point, you better to play DQ 5 DS first ......

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Tried to preorder this from Amazon over the weekend, but I didn't find a listing for the US version. So I preordered DQVI instead. Now, however, DQIX is showing up. So... *preorders*

What a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Celine

CruxisMana said:
Just out of interest, what makes DQ5 stand out so much from the others?
It's the most story driven DraQue and the theme about the various generations is tasty.
I still prefer DQ4 though.

donny2112

Scythesurge said:
You could also say Rhythm Heaven is only $20, but we all know DQ IX aint releasing for that price!

Rhythm Heaven is $30. You probably meant to say something like Brain Age @ $20, but that is also why I intentionally avoided using a Touch! Generations game as an example. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
CruxisMana said:
I felt it was really ahead of its time and did several really unique things. I would also say a few of those unique things are still done better in DQ5 than they are done in today's games.

I'd share some examples, but quite a few of them relate to the plot.

CruxisMana said:
Besides great gameplay (which you'll pretty much get from any DQ) they added a whole monster collecting aspect that is pretty integrated within the normal flow of the game (aka you can get good monsters without spending hours trying to get them to join your team). Where it outperforms IV imo is pacing, as IV has some rough spots to get through. Also the story/characters of V is just simply great, nothing incredibly deep though. Just good stuff. :)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm really disappointed with the logo change. The fruit looked classy.

Pro: July 11th gives enough summer to enjoy this motherfucker.

Con: Damn, that's really soon after S&P2. Nintendo ain't gonna market that shit at all. :(

Aeana

Regulus Tera said:
I'm really disappointed with the logo change. The fruit looked classy.

Pro: July 11th gives enough summer to enjoy this motherfucker.

Con: Damn, that's really soon after S&P2. Nintendo ain't gonna market that shit at all. :(
More importantly, I don't understand why they removed the sword "T." What was it hurting?

Oxx

Good to get some confirmation, but I must say I preferred the rumoured June date for Europe.

But regardless of date and price I will be there day one.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aeana said:
More importantly, I don't understand why they removed the sword "T." What was it hurting?

Kind of like Luffy in the One Piece logo? I guess it is done to make it look less childish.

Which is an stupid excuse.

So that old 25th June EU release date was wrong then :p

Either way, great news that this finally has confirmed dates. I imagine I'll just wait for the UK release, but may get impatient and import from the US :p

Also, EU boxart is gorgeous! :D <3 Toriyama :)

donny2112

Regulus Tera said:
Wait, so the surechigai mode is intact? That's not gonna work at all.

Yeah. The only time Bark Mode worked in Nintendogs was that intentional gathering shortly after the game released in malls and the GameStop giveaways. Maybe there'll be GameStop surechigai stands setup for this?

Top Bottom