• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Didnt Sony published Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 though?

EDIT: According to Metacritic, SCEA published both B2 Vita and USFIV PS4. But I know they might not be the best source of info

Borderlands 2's physical boxart makes no mention of Sony, just Iron Galaxy, Gearbox and 2K but I just checked and PS Store and Sony are listed as the publisher on there, so I guess I might be wrong. Weird situation.

Capcom is still the one publishing Street Fighter V though, not Sony.

Borderlands 2's physical boxart makes no mention of Sony, just Iron Galaxy, Gearbox and 2K but I just checked and PS Store and Sony are listed as the publisher on there, so I guess I might be wrong. Weird situation.

Capcom is still the one publishing Street Fighter V though, not Sony.

Do you have any info on that?

Alo0oy

Banned
And still, it's and own studio. It may be a sister studio to Guerrilla Games (Netherlands) now, but it's still a different studio, in a different country (UK).

No, they're the same studio, under the same management, & both have the same twitter account.

viHuGi

Banned
ok time to add 2nd party studios aswell (rest will follow)

b627ba-1442861417.png

247f89-1442861442.png

ce868d-1442861452.png

Ps4 just keeps on giving! So many Studios working on it,

No, they're the same studio, under the same management, & both have the same twitter account.

yeah cambridge will probably take over the killzone franchise (and that statement in the interview was probably referring to them) - i wouldn't mind since Mercenary was a great game

Do you have any info on that?

Nothing that isn't public knowledge. Capcom are listed as the publisher on the box art, PS Store pre-order page, PlayStation.com page and on and on and on. There's no indication whatsoever Sony are publishing it, so I don't really understand where this idea even came from.

I'd add a few things.

1. FunBits is making Fat Princess Adventures. They've previously made Fat Princess and Escape Plan.

2. ClapHanz has a long history of Hot Shots games with Sony

3. Q-Games could probably have PixelJunk in their history.

4. Housemarque is currently making AlieNation. History is Dead Nation, Resogun, and Super Stardust.

5. We know Level 5 is making a Sony published game, they have openly stated that. Their history is Dark Cloud, Rogue Legacy, and White Knight Chronicles.

6. Capcom is not an actual publishing partner and shouldn't be on this list.

7. Insomniac absolutely MUST be on this list for Ratchet and Clank.

8. Wattam is being made by Keita Takahashi.

9. From is making Bloodborne DLC still.

I'd add a few things.

1. FunBits is making Fat Princess Adventures. They've previously made Fat Princess and Escape Plan.

4. Housemarque is currently making AlieNation. History is Dead Nation, Resogun, and Super Stardust.

thanks for the info man, tought Alienation and Fit Princess are already out
Will add them to list

viHuGi

Banned
Socom hasn't been relevant for a while. But yeah, I miss Wipeout. Kinda like there was no Ridge Racer at launch.

Well if they do a decent and awesome Socom game it might be relevant again :c

Wipeout at 1080p 60fps will make me scream, that game was pure gold back on Ps One.

Mullah88

Socom hasn't been relevant for a while. But yeah, I miss Wipeout. Kinda like there was no Ridge Racer at launch.

relevant to you. if they remade socom 2 or release an hd collection, i bet it would sell. anyways the game is a niche hardcore title to begin with. they tried to make it more mainstream with abomination 4 but that was a big flop

give me socom 2 multiplayer in 1080p@60fps with all the maps

Verendus said that they are working on 2 exclusive games and iirc Verendus indicated that one of them is a collaboration with sony japan (JRPG 1#) the other one is a 3rd Party exclusive ala Ni No Kuni

Verendus

Banned
Verendus said later on that those announcements may be pushed back (in fact he may have said JRPG 2 has definitely been pushed back to 2016, I can't remember exactly).

People really shouldn't take those teases so seriously, Verendus has pointed out a few times that Sony's conferences are planned out a week or two in advance, not 6 months in advance, so no-one knows exactly when they're going to announce all their games. Bloodborne was originally planned to be announced at TGS 2013, for instance, but they pushed it back to E3 2014 instead.
Maybe you confused me with someone else with that particular point? When it comes to game announcements, Worldwide Studios can prepare for that quite early. For example, TLG was being thrown around to be announced at E3 2015 since late last year, which was why I told people to expect an announcement in 2015 when they were getting their hopes up for PSX last year. Not that anyone listened. The script for the conference, and nitty gritty of the presentation is what tends to get finalized upto the day of the presentation. That's just natural though since the organizers get the presenters script ready, and they fine-tune things, and there tends to be minor changes here and there usually for various things. When someone like Shu does the rounds with his teams, and sees projects, they'll generally have a good idea of where they're sitting in development, and what the internal target is, and then they use that kind of stuff for preliminary planning and coordinate with the involved parties, and if it's the right time to show things etc. They also have internal trailers, presentations, and things like that. So usually, you tend to have a decent idea of when a game is likely to show up. But it's just a case of whether they feel it's appropriate to do so or not. That's always WWS's call.

Basically, it kind of depends, but they are good about organizing things, and staying on top of it all. You're right that there can be changes of course, but generally, planning and preparation for the major events can begin quite early, and some major stuff can get nailed down well in advance. Horizon, TLG, and Dreams are a good example this year of that since I told folks on here about three notable announcements from SCE at E3 since February, and nothing changed with those three this year. I believe I said seven total back then through 2015, and we're down four of those now that Gravity Rush 2 is done. The remaining three I mentioned back then are still due to be announced over the next two events as I understand it, so touch wood.

As for JRPG2, people shouldn't expect that announcement at a show like TGS anyway. I've mentioned this specifically several times in the past. JRPG2 won't make its debut at that kind of show since it's being made with a worldwide audience in mind, so naturally, the debut isn't going to happen at a conference usually packed with niche Japanese games.

Anyway, PGW will be pretty good, and PSX will be even better this year. We get those three announcements, and a few smaller ones, and I think everyone will be pretty ecstatic heading into 2016. There's not much to complain about really, aside from having no games to play for the holidays. And everything probably getting delayed again since that's the trend now. But hey, that's life. I didn't cry when Uncharted 4 was pushed back to 2016. I just kind of just:

he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.gif

Well, those four games that Verendus mentioned are pretty much day one for me. I'm hoping the other three announcements knock it out of the park too so it can be 7 for 7 and my wallet can truly feel the pain.

Sony Bend, QD, and Jrpg. So no GT or Crash.....goddam it.

didn't he say notable announcements from the sony studios?(maybe i missunderstood that) - with that QD and the JRPG would be out

Sony Bend, Polyphoni Digital and Santa Monica is my guess (or maybe Sucker Punch instead of SSM)

Maybe you confused me with someone else with that particular point? When it comes to game announcements, Worldwide Studios can prepare for that quite early. For example, TLG was being thrown around to be announced at E3 2015 since late last year, which was why I told people to expect an announcement in 2015 when they were getting their hopes up for PSX last year. Not that anyone listened. The script for the conference, and nitty gritty of the presentation is what tends to get finalized upto the day of the presentation. That's just natural though since the organizers get the presenters script ready, and they fine-tune things, and there tends to be minor changes here and there usually for various things. When someone like Shu does the rounds with his teams, and sees projects, they'll generally have a good idea of where they're sitting in development, and what the internal target is, and then they use that kind of stuff for preliminary planning and coordinate with the involved parties, and if it's the right time to show things etc. They also have internal trailers, presentations, and things like that. So usually, you tend to have a decent idea of when a game is likely to show up. But it's just a case of whether they feel it's appropriate to do so or not. That's always WWS's call.

Basically, it kind of depends, but they are good about organizing things, and staying on top of it all. You're right that there can be changes of course, but generally, planning and preparation for the major events can begin quite early, and some major stuff can get nailed down well in advance. Horizon, TLG, and Dreams are a good example this year of that since I told folks on here about three notable announcements from SCE at E3 since February, and nothing changed with those three this year. I believe I said seven total back then through 2015, and we're down four of those now that Gravity Rush 2 is done. The remaining three I mentioned back then are still due to be announced over the next two events as I understand it, so touch wood.

As for JRPG2, people shouldn't expect that announcement at a show like TGS anyway. I've mentioned this specifically several times in the past. JRPG2 won't make its debut at that kind of show since it's being made with a worldwide audience in mind, so naturally, the debut isn't going to happen at a conference usually packed with niche Japanese games.

Anyway, PGW will be pretty good, and PSX will be even better this year. We get those three announcements, and a few smaller ones, and I think everyone will be pretty ecstatic heading into 2016. There's not much to complain about really, aside from having no games to play for the holidays. And everything probably getting delayed again since that's the trend now. But hey, that's life. I didn't cry when Uncharted 4 was pushed back to 2016. I just kind of just:

Cheers for that, Verendus. I didn't confuse you with someone else, I just assumed that when you said (and I'm paraphrasing here, because I can't be bothered finding that post) that the conferences are organised a couple of weeks out, that it included everything, not just the nitty gritty. Thanks for the clarification though, it's cool you can provide those kind of details.

a sad batista fan

insider who certainly knows what he is talking about

Who is Batista?

PayaV87

Small note: Twisted Metal was far from a new IP. It's pretty much Sony's oldest that stuck around. Starhawk wasn't really a new IP either though - it was Warhawk, which is similarly old. You may have a point though, although those were all SMS supported, not lead.

Small note: That's why I wrote "or Reboot", sorry for not explaining myself fully. I know TM and Starhawk were reboots from new studios, and this is pretty relevant to my point, because however we twist this, GOW IV will be a reboot, a soft one at the least.

I think the most valid idea is a game with a new setting, where Kratos is the new antagonsit. Although it might not be possible, because I'm yet to finished GOW III, so I don't know how the story will unfold.

stryke

hmm thats true....man its really irritating with all these exclusive games from third party studios

So deep down is not a second party exclusive/collaboration - but how about Street Fighter v? Sony is publishing the game, but it also comes out on PC

I doubt they are publishing it. I can't remember the last time Sony published a property they didn't own.

I'd add a few things.

5. We know Level 5 is making a Sony published game, they have openly stated that. Their history is Dark Cloud, Rogue Legacy, and White Knight Chronicles.

6. Capcom is not an actual publishing partner and shouldn't be on this list.

7. Insomniac absolutely MUST be on this list for Ratchet and Clank.

8. Wattam is being made by Keita Takahashi.

9. From is making Bloodborne DLC still.

We'll never have an Outland sequel if none remembers that exist. :mad:

Thanks as always.
Makes sense, I figured that'd be the case based on your previous mentions of its goals.

Anyway, PGW will be pretty good, and PSX will be even better this year. We get those three announcements, and a few smaller ones, and I think everyone will be pretty ecstatic heading into 2016. There's not much to complain about really, aside from having no games to play for the holidays. And everything probably getting delayed again since that's the trend now. But hey, that's life. I didn't cry when Uncharted 4 was pushed back to 2016.

Nice! Sony is on a huge roll with all of this year's conferences. It's been amazing with that crazy E3 and totally packed TGS.

The remaining three I mentioned back then are still due to be announced over the next two events as I understand it, so touch wood.

Anyway, PGW will be pretty good, and PSX will be even better this year. We get those three announcements, and a few smaller ones, and I think everyone will be pretty ecstatic heading into 2016. There's not much to complain about really, aside from having no games to play for the holidays. And everything probably getting delayed again since

Nice. I am excite!
Cant wait for that jrpg.

Gran Turismo 7 announcement this year is almost a given at this point.

So one of Bend or Quantic Dream, SCEJ JRPG and GT7 from PD.

SCEJ JRPG is JRPG 2 in Verendus List, and i dont think he was referring to this title with his three notable announcements left

i guess that will be an E3 Title

Did he say scej published and developed or just published?

afaik he didn't mention that....but it sounds like a Studio Japan developed Game -->

- because Verendus said it is Sony's second attempt for an title like this (sce japan developed legend of dragoon)

- Shuhei Yoshida also mentioned that SCE Japan has an exciting project in development

afaik he didn't mention that....but it sounds like a Sony Japan developed Game -->

- because Verendus said it is Sony's second attempt for an title like this (sce japan developed legend of dragoon)

- Shuhei Yoshida also mentioned that SCE Japan has an exciting project in development

second attempt? Poor White Knight Chronicles, no one give a shit about it :'(

DevilFox

I hope they go in turbo mode because so far the output has been disappointing in term of quantity. I trust Uncharted 4 will kick off this gen as Uncharted 2 / Killzone 2 did last gen.

now that you mention WKC,
the ceo of Level 5 said , that they are reaching for something more ambitious than white knight chronicles for their next project

sry :(

It's for the best because if the rumored L5's game is WKC sequel, there'll be blood in reaction threads :')

Edit: ah double post -_-

SCEJ JRPG is JRPG 2 in Verendus List, and i dont think he was referring to this title with his three notable announcements left

i guess that will be an E3 Title

Wouldn't a JRPG developed by Level-5 yet published by SCE count as an SCE title? like WKC.

That will be a notable announcement as well wherever developed internally by SCEJ or developed externally by Level-5.

Alo0oy

Banned
Quantity. Quality is fine.

They published far more games than any of their competitors every year this gen, I think you mean quality (since that's the only thing that is debatable), Sony still published the most games this year and every year in recent memory.

Pachimari

3 more reveals you say? Hype's on!
Anyway, I have more than enough games to play this holiday. I'm super excited to get going with Until Dawn, Tearaway Unfolded and Disgaea 5 especially.

Top Bottom