• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake PC | Tech, performance and information thread

A lot of great features but not optimized well, in my opinion... or maybe it's my x1600 monitor causing low fps. :(

i don't think it's a case of lack of optimisation. i think it's a case of the game doing a lot at once. again, remember the game couldn't hold 30 fps at 540p with certain effects being done at half that resolution on the 360.

it's not like this thing was rock solid at 720p like RE5 or Dead Space 2 (say).

Sethos

Banned
Performance is awful. Maxed out, except MSAA at 2x and it's really all over the place. Even when everything is covered in smoke and smudge effects. Texture work is pretty damn underwhelming and nothing whatsoever warrants that kind of performance.

FGMPR

Banned
A lot of great features but not optimized well, in my opinion... or maybe it's my x1600 monitor causing low fps. :(

On gamefaqs (yes, I know) someone said something about the game running best on 285.62 Nvidia drivers. I have no idea if it's true or not, but its worth investigating more I guess.

Downloading.

It's a shame that already a lot of users are having performance issues. Benchmarks suggested otherwise (even knowing how results may vary between different setups).

Zimbardo

the performance graph posted a few days ago showed a GTX580 not pulling a constant 60fps @ 1080p ...and the cpu was a 2600K overclocked @ around 4.5ghz.

seemed pathetic to me.

hopefully new drivers or a patch improve performance.

BeeDog

How do people get the game so fast? Must be blazing high connection speeds?!
Or... some shady tactics...

Averaging 6 MB/s from Steam now, so joke's on you!

ztgkd.jpg

It's called fiber connections, you should check it out.

i wish they'd bring fiber over the bridges to Cape Cod, but it's not looking like it's going to happen any time soon, but that's off topic.

is it maxing out your GPU or CPU by the way? the draw distance sliders put more CPU load onto the game. if your maxing out CPU try bring those down a bit.

that you can crank a game beyond a high end system doesn't make it poorly optimised i don't think. the game cranked is way beyond the 360 version. graphically it's up there for PC imho.

hah, watch it run like shit on my PC and me completely change my tune in a couple of hours :)

DieH@rd

Banned
Im on 4mbit [25$ per month, unlimited download], four more hours to go. I will be playing it around midnight here in CET timezone.

Sadly i am limited to crapy goverment owned ADSL line. Privatly owned cable companies [none in my reach] are offering three times faster speeds for the same money.

SoulClap

What the hell just happened. The download was 14 GB on Steam and then after hitting about 80% the download reset and now it's 7.8 GB.

Sethos

Banned
i wish they'd bring fiber over the bridges to Cape Cod, but it's not looking like it's going to happen any time soon, but that's off topic.

is it maxing out your GPU or CPU by the way? the draw distance sliders put more CPU load onto the game. if your maxing out CPU try bring those down a bit.

that you can crank a game beyond a high end system doesn't make it bad. the game cranked is way beyond the 360 version. graphically it's up there for PC imho.

Sorry to sound rude but can we stop pretending this game is some sort of graphical monster? At maxed out settings, it barely even touches other games running at similar or even lower settings. So many terrible textures, 3D models are pretty bad, animations are flat, water looks weird and the "distance" is basically just huge slaps of simple polygons. Oh and the vegetation is also very underwhelming. It all comes together to create a nice image, artistically but a graphical powerhouse it's not.

Even in the start nightmare sequence where everything is covered in black, fog and there's no real distance to draw the game is just chugging along.

And it's completely maxing out my GPU, CPU is barely hitting 15-20% throughout.

dsk1210

Mines is going to be about 3 hrs :(

GTX 580 and 2500k clocked at 4.4ghz

Looking to get 720p 60fps 3d, might be tricky if we cant get 1080p 60fps in 2d though.

Dave

Zimbardo

Sorry to sound rude but can we stop pretending this game is some sort of graphical monster? At maxed out settings, it barely even touches other games running at similar or even lower settings. So many terrible textures, 3D models are pretty bad, animations are flat, water looks weird and the "distance" is basically just huge slaps of simple polygons. Oh and the vegetation is also very underwhelming. It all comes together to create a nice image, artistically but a graphical powerhouse it's not.

Even in the start nightmare sequence where everything is covered in black, fog and there's no real distance to draw the game is just chugging along.

what is your pc setup?

jediyoshi

So many terrible textures, 3D models are pretty bad, animations are flat, water looks weird and the "distance" is basically just huge slaps of simple polygons. Oh and the vegetation is also very underwhelming. It all comes together to create a nice image, artistically but a graphical powerhouse it's not.
6Mh9M.png

Well I was about 5-10 minutes away from playing, but for some reason it randomly started the download again from 0%...and is now downloading slower than it did before. Got over an hour left now.

Slightly confused lol

EDIT: Ah ok, restarting Steam fixes that. Thank god.

DieH@rd

Banned
Well I was about 5-10 minutes away from playing, but for some reason it randomly started the download again from 0%...and is now downloading slower than it did before. Got over an hour left now.

Slightly confused lol

Same thing happened to me right now! I was not near completion, but download is restarted with crappy speed.

dsk1210

Turn something down then and still have a far superior version of the game compared to the 360 version.

I love when a game is graphically taxing above the power available, you dont always need to max everything.

well sorry to be rude back to you then, but what the hell do you think your GPU is doing? it's real time lighting a 2k draw distance to a very high quality. when the vegetation starts blowing around moving, when the best weather effects i can remember roll in... that's where your GPU is being taxed.

assets wise, yeah, they aren't the best, but you have to completely ignore everything else to expect that this game should run like butter.

the only other game i can think of that lights this scale of environment and this amount of vegetation in real time to this standard of lighting is Crysis 1. max everything out in Crysis 1. do you run the game locked at 60 fps?

Sethos

Banned
Turn something down then and still have a far superior version of the game compared to the 360 version.

I love when a game is graphically taxing above the power available, you dont always need to max everything.

Yes, that was my goal when I spend thousands of dollars to maintain my PC, just to get a version that's better than the 360 equivalent. Not to get a high framerate, superior IQ and a performance on par with every other moderately optimized game out there.

Tried turning down MSAA to 2x, Sethos?
Curious how much you will gain.

First thing I did, never tested it with 4x

well sorry to be rude back to you then, but what the hell do you think your GPU is doing? it's real time lighting a 2k draw distance to a very high quality. when the vegetation starts blowing around moving, when the best weather effects i can remember roll in... that's where your GPU is being taxed.

assets wise, yeah, they aren't the best, but you have to completely ignore everything else to expect that this game should run like butter.

2k draw distance, how naive are you? There's NOTHING OUT IN THE DISTANCE. In the nightmare sequence IT'S ALL BLACK, THERE'S NOTHING. If they are rendering advanced lighting on textures that are not visible and are hidden away, that's why the game is running so shit.

When you are in daylight, the distance are simple polygons, there's nothing being drawn out there except a few houses and some simple trees, game development 101.

And vegetation in the game is horrid. I know you're excited about the game but stop throwing out this completely stupid arguments. This game is in no way comparable to Crysis.

mxgt

Banned
dat jarring difference between cut scene quality and actual image quality.

Game looks great but the frame rate fluctuates from 40-60 on my setup. will probably lower a few settings to get it smoother.

dsk1210

Yes, that was my goal when I spend thousands of dollars to maintain my PC, just to get a version that's better than the 360 equivalent. Not to get a high framerate, superior IQ and a performance on par with every other moderately optimized game out there.

First thing I did, never tested it with 4x

2k draw distance, how naive are you? There's NOTHING OUT IN THE DISTANCE. In the nightmare sequence IT'S ALL BLACK, THERE'S NOTHING. If they are rendering advanced lighting on textures that are no visible and are hidden away, that's why the game is running so shit.

I have pretty much the same spec as you, I also spent a lot of money, I cant say to much until i have tried it myself, but if its hitting 100% gpu, then its doing something to a much higher degree than the 360 version.

2k draw distance, how naive are you? There's NOTHING OUT IN THE DISTANCE. In the nightmare sequence IT'S ALL BLACK, THERE'S NOTHING. If they are rendering advanced lighting on textures that are not visible and are hidden away, that's why the game is running so shit.

When you are in daylight, the distance are simple polygons, there's nothing being drawn out there except a few houses and some simple trees, game development 101
the same is true of crysis though... and the texture resolution and the number of polygons in those distant objects don't really have anything to do with doing lighting calculations over a much bigger area.

the engine renders things to a distance of 2k. that isn't an opinion. you'll soon see that there are levels where you can see something really far away that you seamlessly move out to.

CAW

[strikethrough]Unplayable for me. i5-2500 Quad, single 6950 2GB GPU, 8GB RAM, etc. Tried lower and turning off settings but the game just stutters and lags the hell out.[/strikethrough]

edit: possible derp moment on my part. Left FXAA on, with an aTi card...

Sethos

Banned
Not 8x? ;) Need more infos, FPS and so on. "Runs like shit" isn't doing it for me. Have you played it on the 360 btw?

Not much to say, FPS is all over the place, even in cramped places with not much to draw it seems to be sluggish. It'll bounce around 25-40 FPS and in some scenes it'll shoot up to 50. I will say that I'm playing on a 30" monitor, so my resolution is much higher but I still maintain my stance that this game has nothing that warrants the low performance, it does nothing no other game hasn't done.

And yes, I've tried playing the 360 version for an hour or two. The low resolution and the blur got to me.

Also, you need to bump up the mouse sensitivity quite a bit because it's really working against you.

Not much to say, FPS is all over the place, even in cramped places with not much to draw it seems to be sluggish. It'll bounce around 25-40 FPS and in some scenes it'll shoot up to 50. I will say that I'm playing on a 30" monitor, so my resolution is much higher but I still maintain my stance that this game has nothing that warrants the low performance, it does nothing no other game hasn't done.

And yes, I've tried playing the 360 version for an hour or two. The low resolution and the blur got to me.

Also, you need to bump up the mouse sensitivity quite a bit because it's really working against you.
You really didn't think that information was relevant from the beginning?

Sethos

Banned
You really didn't think that information was relevant from the beginning?

Yes, every other game in the world runs fine except this game, MUST BE THAT MONITOR!

People are way too defensive over a poorly optimized game that doesn't even look that good from a graphical standpoint ( Artistic style is nice )

Can you post one of the crazy 2000x1600 size pictures or whatever? I actually like the visual style of this game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35197434&postcount=2339

Downsampled however :)

Tifou

Banned
[strikethrough]Unplayable for me. i5-2500 Quad, single 6950 2GB GPU, 8GB RAM, etc. Tried lower and turning off settings but the game just stutters and lags the hell out.[/strikethrough]

omg

SoulClap

Just fired it up for a little bit before I get back to work and the performance seemed ok.

Min FPS: 36
Max FPS: 76
Avg FPS: 51

Have the AA set to 2x but since I'm playing on a HDTV it's not a big deal. Do you guys think I should set FXAA to high or just leave it off?

Specs:
i5 2500k @ 4.0
6950 Twin Frozr II
8GB of Ram

Yes, every other game in the world runs fine except this game, MUST BE THAT MONITOR!
Some games that run like shit at 2560x1600 are much better at 1080p from what I've seen.

EDIT: I'm not defending the game at all, I'm just saying that you got a few people worried because they assumed you were playing at 1080p.

Darklord

Banned
I might wait until tomorrow and see what the consensus is on the port before buying...

I'm on a i7 920, 6gb ram, 570gtx.

Domstercool

Weird, I have FXAA on high with my 6990 card and all settings maxed (I have to turn blur off though as there's some weird arse shadow bug with the enemies where the shadow blurs all over the screen, lol) and I get solid 60fps with vync on. Supposedly the game doesn't work well with crossfire cards too. o_O

Some games that run like shit at 2560x1600 are much better at 1080p from what I've seen.

EDIT: I'm not defending the game at all, I'm just saying that you got a few people worried because they assumed you were playing at 1080p.

he'd need to push 16 times the pixels of the 360 version to run at 60 fps. 16 times!

do people think Alan Wake ran at 540p on 360 because 'lol'?

edit: yep. maths is fixed.

Weird, I have FXAA on high with my 6990 card and all settings maxed (I have to turn blur off though as there's some weird arse shadow bug with the enemies where the shadow blurs all over the screen, lol) and I get solid 60fps with vync on. Supposedly the game doesn't work well with crossfire cards too. o_O

apparently AMD put together a fix for crossfire that has them at about 60% scaling. not sure what drivers that's part of. SLI is currently borked but i understand crossfire is not, at least not with the right drivers (or profile perhaps).

Top Bottom