• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint Thread: Vice City Stories

Jintor

austin kind of sold me on marvel. i might pick it up for cheap in like a year lol.

do you think he will infect patrick with dbz fever

Brakke

Banned
About an hour ago, Rob tweeted about getting back into his stock of gentrified malt liquor.

Four minutes ago, he started tweeting about Gossip Girl.

😂

Waypoint Plays Heat Signature is a really good vid--it completely changed my perspective on the game. After Giant Bomb's Quick Look, I thought it was mostly Hotline Miami-ish (which I don't like), but seeing Austin play so strategically and recklessly has brought me into the light. I can see the Gunpoint (which I do like) in it--it has a similar frenetic-yet-cerebral action loop, with a lot of interconnected systems... and the same caliber of writing.

I'm glad, 'cause for some reason I've really wanted to like Heat Signature.

Did I miss something or was there no podcast yesterday

I thought I saw someone on Twitter say it might be an hour late or something but it's been a day?

Lijik

I'm fuckin dying here without a podcast

can i offer you a patrick in these trying times
DKX2AAGVoAAXeGn.jpg

Mr. F

Banned
I feel like Monaco gets a lot of undue pushback from the gaming press. Not particular to waypoint, I remember giant bomb having problems playing it too (granted they weren't paying full attention). I didn't find it as complicated or obtuse as it's always described as in retrospect

Flipyap

What the hell was up with Patrick's reaction to the idea of getting a video game-themed tattoo?
As if that's somehow more embarrassing than a Dark Tower tattoo? ... oh god, unpaused the podcast and now he's suggesting the numbers from Lost, as if that would make it easier to hide his nerd shame than any number of more obscure video game things. Yeah, Austin's self-loathing baby boy needs to shut up and let people do whatever dumb (harmless) thing they want to do with their bodies.

Joeku

What the hell was up with Patrick's reaction to the idea of getting a video game-themed tattoo?
As if that's somehow more embarrassing than a Dark Tower tattoo? ... oh god, unpaused the podcast and now he's suggesting the numbers from Lost, as if that would make it easier to hide his nerd shame than any number of more obscure video game things. Yeah, Austin's self-loathing baby boy needs to shut up and let people do whatever dumb (harmless) thing they want to do with their bodies.

Back in 2008 or so I had an aunt that wanted me to recite the Lost numbers for her to play the lottery with, despite that others were obviously using the same ones, so those numbers there weren't much stupider you could get than that.

Hasney

Yeah, Austin's self-loathing baby boy needs to shut up and let people do whatever dumb (harmless) thing they want to do with their bodies.

He straight up said that it was no judgement on anyone that does have video game tattoos, so no idea where that just came from.

I can't speak to the quality (its in my backlog) but Dysfunctional Systems sounds like the game idea Austin was interested in playing on Friday

Wikipedia said:
Having long become comfortable with her utopian society, Winter is surprised to learn that there are other worlds in other planes of existence. These worlds are quite different from hers, ranging from troubled, to dystopian, to futuristic or fantastical. However, they are all riddled with problems that, if not resolved, may adversely affect her home world. She is chosen to become a “mediator”, charged with the maintenance of order in these chaotic planes, and so enters a vocational school for training. Episode 1 details her second shadowing of a seasoned mediator, only a few weeks into her first year. She and her mentor enter a world seemingly much like their own, except for this issue of “poverty” with which Winter has difficulty understanding...

Catvoca

Banned
The discourse is so fast these days. What’s a corncob?
https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Derived from this tweet, it basically means someone who is "owned" but insists they are victorious. I think it became more popular after some democrat misunderstood the slang and accused people who used it of being homophobic or something.

I'm just assuming this is what your talking about since I haven't listened to the podcast in a while, I could be wrong. In leftist twitter, corncob is usually referring to this.

BTA

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Derived from this tweet, it basically means someone who is "owned" but insists they are victorious. I think it became more popular after some democrat misunderstood the slang and accused people who used it of being homophobic or something.

Yeah, they looked at some random Urban Dictionary definition and started accusing the people using it (to joke about another politician) of making homophobic rape jokes or something along those lines.

(That same person used "butthurt" a lot, too, which... hmmmmmmm....)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The origin of the corncob thing is one of those things that just left a foul taste in my mouth. Like yes, the person in question was behaving like an absolute ass, but so much of the response to it seemed to be framed as "haha what the fuck look at this person cluelessly getting this piece of slang that's a reference to a dril tweet from five years ago wrong". Its a bunch of Twitter people losing sight of how much of the fucking world doesn't live on Twitter

BTA

The origin of the corncob thing is one of those things that just left a foul taste in my mouth. Like yes, the person in question was behaving like an absolute ass, but so much of the response to it seemed to be framed as "haha what the fuck look at this person cluelessly getting this piece of slang that's a reference to a dril tweet from five years ago wrong". Its a bunch of Twitter people losing sight of how much of the fucking world doesn't live on Twitter

I mean, there was more going on there than just getting a dril reference wrong. Though I get your point with the framing and living on Twitter thing, I guess. I will say most of what I saw at the time was more about their hypocrisy and rushing in to whine about/accuse "Berniebros" than just them getting a reference wrong.

(For context for everyone else, the tweet in question was this)

that’s a guy who is super duper active on Twitter though

Joeku

God, not even a single one of them picked Wyatt to live at the beginning of Wolfenstein. They are going to completely miss
the J character
. That's a shame, I much preferred him to the other option.

Edit: Okay, Austin pointed it out. Glad Rob at least regretted it.

Has Austin ever mentioned any recommendations for cyberpunk novels? I know he likes Hard Boiled Wonderland (if that counts) but I’d like to hear what he points to as examples of good, contemporary, queer cyberpunk.

Top Bottom