• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 |OT| Mewton's Law of Gravity

Just read the translated version of the final episode of Gravity Daydreams. I'd like to imagine it's canon since it's the only one where someone doesn't wake up :(.

Art book is here. Just gotta wait for the Kat figma to release and I think I MIGHT be satisfied.

LQvucKV.jpg

Try first person camera mode. That advice got passed around here back when the first game came out and it seemed to help for most.

Give it another episode before you give up. Episode 12 is widely considered the most problematic in the game. Also, it's the second to last tutorial (and the last is for a really minor mechanic that isn't introduced until nearly the end) and is the end of its arc.

LotusHD

Banned
Finally made time to do the Raven DLC. It was kinda meh at first, if not slightly aggravating, but then it grew on me as I got to do more exciting things like the boss fights. Even a fair bit of feels. That being said, I definitely prefer Kat to Raven in terms of controls.

And I got to hear Raven's theme again, so all is right in the world.

VanWinkle

Finally got this game. Used the 20% off code in an email I got along with $30 worth of PSN gift cards. Ended up paying $17.99. It's downloading now.

I was super excited, and I still am to an extent, as I've wanted to play this for a long time, but I've been reading some random pages in the thread and the reception actually seems kind of mixed. I'm disappointed, and some of my hype has diminished after reading through.

Am I still in for a good time, or should I have just waited for it to get really cheap? I'm hoping I just happened to read some more mixed things and that the general reception is actually positive.

tsundoku

I had way more trouble with the boss direct preceeding Episode 12 and at the end of episode 12 then the hallway sliding, I just slowed myself down when I slammed into a corner, looked for the objective marker, and tried to keep myself centered in the hallway, or if it was particularly rubbley, just slide thru that section.

Whereas,
The boss right before has incredibly glitchy activation of its instant kill where it will or wont activate instantly on respawning, activates at a weird timing after finishing a "section", where its super instant, or super delayed and looks like a glitch, and if you land on the boss at all to preserve your gravity meter you can't hit anything.

The boss at the end of Ch 12 just kept running out my gravity gauge looking for its massive but somehow tiny and shockingly difficult to hit targets, and i'd always fall to the ground from running out of meter charging the kick and get comboed around by the innumerable swarm of ground nevi in the fight.

Weird how its something different about every mission that bugs different people, I had absolutely zero trouble guiding the dog to the frisbee thief but I was fucked if I could get like 3 throws in a row into the landing zones immediately after. Like half of the Stasis throws I did in my entire 70 hours of gameplay collided with the floor or some piece of ground clutter / tree / lamppost and didn't hit their target.

Finally got this game. Used the 20% off code in an email I got along with $30 worth of PSN gift cards. Ended up paying $17.99. It's downloading now.

I was super excited, and I still am to an extent, as I've wanted to play this for a long time, but I've been reading some random pages in the thread and the reception actually seems kind of mixed. I'm disappointed, and some of my hype has diminished after reading through.

Am I still in for a good time, or should I have just waited for it to get really cheap? I'm hoping I just happened to read some more mixed things and that the general reception is actually positive.

It has a slow start but I ended up loving it after beating it. The second half of the game is really good though and it picks up dramatically. The final 1/4th of the game is simply amazing.

For me the last part of the game ended so strong it made completely forget the slow start.

WetWaffle

Wasn't there supposed to be more DLC coming at the end of March? I think there were actually other playable characters like Raven

Griss

I've been stuck at the side quest 'Forbidden Games' for two days now.

The game says 'go find out info'. So you have to talk to people. This involves going up to people and pressing square, and if you've found the right one a cutscene will play. There's nothing more to it than that - go press a button next to 100 people and hopefully one of them will be the right one. It's such a good example of how the objectives of these quests have absolutely no effort or actual gameplay put into them.

Anyway, I find the first two people without issue. But the third? Half an hour last night. Half an hour this afternoon. An hour of fucking nothing but walking around pressing square next to hundreds of NPCs that shake their heads and move off. This is the worst gaming experience I've had in a long time. I went and looked it up online and the person appears to have dark skin and an orange jacket. There is no such person being spawned anywhere in this region in my game. Is it bugged? Might be, but there's no way to know for sure, the mission is designed that poorly.

It doesn't matter what the game is asking you to do, they never actually put the effort in to make new mechanics for objectives. Handing out flyers? Just brush past people, that'll do. Chasing a bird? You can't actually catch it even if you catch up, you have to wait until it gets to its destination and then just reach said destination.

And that's all this game is, ever. 'Follow the marker, press a button when you get there.' There's no real exploration, no challenge, no missions that shake things up beyond restricting your move pool. I saw someone hanging out on a strut at the bottom of the town yesterday. Excited to finally find something, I flew towards him. The guy from the first game who would disappear, perhaps? Oh wait, it was a graphical error that just blinked out. There was nothing to find. Typical. And as for the quest design, the only strength of the game at all is Kat's gravity powers, yet it seems like the game is absolutely resolute about having you NOT fucking use them in favour of the most bland and mundane chores. The first game was so well paced and understood its strengths. The challenges were finely honed around understanding each of Kat's gravity skills. Here, by contrast, you're given Lunar style (awesome) and Jupiter style (meh), but outside of the tutorial sections, when does the game ever create moments where you have to use them? Never, so far.

Instead the entire game's focus appears to have been taking what was quite a mysterious and intriguing fantasy / sci-fi story from the first game and turning it into garbage slice-of-life anime shit in this one. Chapters I and II are barely related, for fuck's sake. They feel like entirely different games, like the writers just didn't give a shit. "Hey, Kat's being cute again! Isn't that enough?"

Also, why didn't the game have the intro cutscenes released on Youtube in it? Until I went hunting for help with that side quest I had no idea they existed. Would have made a huge difference at the start. It's always bullshit to deliver important plot points through a different medium and not even signpost that it exists through the game in some way.

Total failure of a product. Wish I'd read the slate or Kotaku reviews before buying, would have saved my money and more importantly my time. Both are absolutely spot on.

Anyone reading the thread and hasn't bought it yet in the EU sale really needs to watch some Youtube videos first. It's a bad, bad videogame.

That's unfortunate that you didn't like the game. It's a near masterpiece and one of my favorite games ever. I read the Kotaku review before release and was hesitant to purchase but am extremely glad that I did.

i've always felt the criticisms about the stealth missions and power restrictions were overblown. Although there stealth missions are definitely a weaker point in the game, they were rarely difficult or frustrating for me. The side missions in this game are some of my favorites this year (much more enjoyable in comparison to say, Nier or Horizon). They add so much character and believability to the world. You see these characters at other points during the game as quick dialogue options and you can see them living their lives and it adds a level of validity to the world itself. It makes the side quests feel like necessary additions and not just simple chores, even though they are often hidden behind the veil of that simplicity.

Although the camera can be a problem, typically it was only an issue in tight corridors (looking at you chapter 12), which I will concede is another of the game's bigger faults.

Idk, I really got immersed in this world in a way that I rarely do and I can't think of any game in recent memory that has stuck with me like this one.

I really enjoyed Gravity Rush 1 but to me, even with some faults, 2 is the superior sequel in just about every way. It's a shame that the story and world are almost bursting at the seems sometimes. I see it was hard for them to contain their vision within the constraints of just two games. Maybe one day (not likely) we'll get a Gravity Rush 3 that can tie some of the loose ends and fill some of the plot holes. One thing they did well was that they ended it in a such a way that it had finality but just enough room for a sequel.

maskrider

Finally finished the game for the first time, what a journey !

Love the music, the characters, the settings, the scenes and the story.

Certainly, there are moments of frustrations for me, especially with the camera control at some battles. Other than that, it is such a pleasant journey to me.

Thank you very much to the development team at Sony for delivering such a package.

Any fast way to farm dusty tokens? I want them costumes!

The fastest way is to send out challenges as often as possible. One button sends a single challenge to everyone on your friends list who plays the game. You'll also want to do all possible treasure hunts and upload photos, but income from those are less reliable.

Might have missed the Dusty train now but quote the first post for a list of PSN names, and throw them an add with GravityGAF in the comments. I would assume the people who are still playing would reciprocate and send challenges in turn. You have to win challenges to get anything significant now though (and only the first win/loss of the day against a particular person counts, so if you get multiple challenges from the same person do them on different days), so get gud

UrbanRats

Oh I'm garbage at the game, so I'll have to rely on treasure hunts (love those).
It's a bummer that someone playing the game in say, a year, won't be able to get some cool costumes and talismans, though.

Also another question: seems like this time around upgrades are all combat related, but in GR1 shifting speed and gravity gauge consumption were the first things I maxed out, are they in some other menu or they just removed that stuff?

Oh I'm garbage at the game, so I'll have to rely on treasure hunts (love those).
It's a bummer that someone playing the game in say, a year, won't be able to get some cool costumes and talismans, though.

Also another question: seems like this time around upgrades are all combat related, but in GR1 shifting speed and gravity gauge consumption were the first things I maxed out, are they in some other menu or they just removed that stuff?

All that stuff is handled by the talismans

Managed to find it at last, some rock formation gave it away.. took me a while tho. :p

Yeah, Lei Elgona the best landmarks are the landmasses since there's not very much land at all. The huts on the main landmass, and the water reservoirs, are the best things to try to get in the shot.

A Dusty Token boost is in effect. It's pretty big: for treasure hunts alone, sending a hint photo out is worth 40 tokens and each person finding a treasure from your photo hint earns you 220 tokens (!).

maskrider

A Dusty Token boost is in effect. It's pretty big: for treasure hunts alone, sending a hint photo out is worth 40 tokens and each person finding a treasure from your photo hint earns you 220 tokens (!).

Was 80 yesterday for sending a photo hint, now 40.

Was 30 for photo review yesterday, now 15.

BTW, I'm on JP version, just got pass 4000 tokens.

edit: passed 6000 tokens, done !

UrbanRats

I got 9 hours of playtime and only done one story mission in chapter 2.
Treasure hunts and generally flying around collecting stuff and snapping photos.

I wish the game was centered around snapping pics and treasure hunting instead of combat!

Tbf: 2 of those hours were in the horrid tutorial area and there was some idle time, when i was afk.

Oh yeah that's amazing

Got some custom GR2 artwork made into a banner via Redbubble.com. Check them out sometime, there's some good (and a few horrible) GR designs there.

Y6ew4Oi.jpg

So.

Jupiter style gravity sliding with six Accelerators is really, really hard to control.

On the upside, I made it into the top 300 globally on Sliding Race 1 while bouncing off every wall!

EDIT: Screenshot and video. I can already see where I lost at least a second or two...

kt2OWpU.png

Since unlocking it I've been trying to integrate Lunar style into my gameplay routine but am having a hard time getting out of my comfort zone of Normal style. As far as I can tell there are only 4 uses for Lunar:

1) Gravity kicks on fast enemies like the fish-looking things
2) The special attack, which is better than the spiraling claw
3) When you have to due to mission requirements
(Raven and that damn cake!)
4) Trying to look cool traversing the world

I fail at #4 all the time. Seeing some of the GIFs earlier in this thread amazes me, maybe I just don't get it. Normal style shifting is faster so I don't see a reason to flail about in Lunar. Hopefully with more time I can shift in Lunar style without bumping into things and generally looking like a drunken Gravity Queen.

That being said, I'm really liking it so far. I'm up to story mission 11 and have done every available side quest and challenge available to that point. The only one that really bugged me was the
dog frisbee
one, and in retrospect it shouldn't have. I'm interested to see how
mission 12
plays out, given the complaints I've seen about it. Will be getting to that tonight.

I'm happy I picked it up. GR Remastered is an all-time favorite of mine and this is a good evolution of that. They did a great job creating this world and the characters, and traversing the world remains great fun. I like how there is more verticality in this one. The first time I plunged through the clouds into the slums was a very cool feeling, and doing it in the downtown area of the marketplace is just as cool.

Also having fun wandering about in 1st person from time to time. There are plenty of little details in the world that warrant a close look for those into that sort of thing.

Lunar style is my least used style but there are definitely more reasons to use it than just those four.

Where lunar style really shines is just how much you can do without actually shifting at all. It's the only style that allows air dodging without shifting, which is a good thing because there's no such thing as a ground-based lunar style attack (every attack puts you in the air automatically). Speaking of, the basic attack is really, really good; it homes in to targets automatically and can be easily cancelled with a dodge, and once upgraded, has crazy range.

Rocket jumps, done correctly, are among the fastest traversal methods in the game (even without talismans that boost it, which do in fact exist). It's a bit tricky to get the hang of, but they can be done any time you're close enough to the ground or a wall to kick off it. The rocket jump also has an attack component, but I don't use it much; rather, it's useful to bail out of dangerous situations quickly.

As for its shifting, it's pretty good for sneaking. Gravity sliding in lunar style causes you to stick to surfaces instead of bouncing off them; it'll go straight up walls and down cliffs without sending you airborne. Shifting speed is the slowest while still being faster than walking, so if you need fine movements, lunar is best.

Thanks for the insight StarCreator. I started using Lunar's basic attack more and am digging it. At first I just kind of wrote it off thinking it was too weak compared to Normal's. Wormhole kick is nice, too.

Getting the hang of rocket jumps, just have to figure out how to aim them correctly coming off of buildings mid-flight. If you lose any momentum by missing a wall rocket jump you kind of just float away and it kills the mood lol.

Finished
and while it wasn't great by any means I don't get the extreme hatred for it. At most it was a minor annoyance (I'd put the dog's disc at about 10 times more aggravating). Camera was a little annoying but the layout didn't seem confusing and it was a good intro to
Jupiter (which I was surprised they introduced so soon after Lunar)

I'm liking Jupiter so far, seems to be a good choice for shifting speed and combat. On foot it lacks a good dodge and is a little slow, but other than that I can see myself using it quite a bit.

One way I like to traverse with lunar style is rocket jumping sideways from a building. You go without coming down pretty much because your gravity is now sideways. Typically able to reach far flung areas with one jump.

I miss this game, I've never had more fun just traversing an environment before. Rocket jumps are a 10/10.

Yeah, same here. It's the only game so far this year that I keep thinking about and wanting more if it. Even while playing some of the other greats that have been out this year.

Trying extremely hard to find someone selling this AmazonJP exclusive theme

Have had no luck but I did notice that some copies with the code are still on AmazonJP and that they just email you the theme once you order it. So you can just order and then cancel.
However, it won't let me order due to my address. I don't even know why this theme is exclusive.
Just let me give you my money lol. This would easily be the only theme that I'd use and its so hard to purchase.

『Inaba Resident』;233868241 said:
Trying extremely hard to find someone selling this AmazonJP exclusive theme

Have had no luck but I did notice that some copies with the code are still on AmazonJP and that they just email you the theme once you order it. So you can just order and then cancel.
However, it won't let me order due to my address. I don't even know why this theme is exclusive.
Just let me give you my money lol. This would easily be the only theme that I'd use and its so hard to purchase.

Can you link one of the copies? I can't find them.

Fisty

Finished up the campaign this weekend... GAF... I didn't like it :(

I loved GR1, day one'd on Vita and loved it, day one'd the Remaster and loved it...

But this one just draaaaaaaaaaags on way too long. The side missions are just pointless filler for the most part, going to Aki's shop made me immediately groan because it was "find thing, look at thing" 3 times, and it happened sooooo many times. More eavesdropping than Ass Creed. Best part was the challenges, and that's not the most flattering compliment.

Main plot pacing was completely whacked, everything after chapter 20 came out of nowhere and completely grinded everything to a halt, and that's after it managed to FINALLY pick up steam after like 15 chapters. The constant dialogue scenes in Eto were just unbelievable, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I honestly think that everything in the "final chapter" was actually DLC, since it comes out of nowhere and all happens after the climax and the logical end-boss.

The gameplay didn't see enough expansion for a sequel imo, adding heavy and light styles didn't really make anything more fun, and honestly just served as minor change-ups that were practically pointless when flying was fastest, most efficient, and most fun.

Don't even get me started on being greeted with the same city I've already played through on 2 separate occasions in the previous game as the second half of the sequel.

One of the most disappointing sequels I've played in quite awhile, and I only say that because how amazing the first game is. They had so much potential and it just seems like they figured no one played the first one so just remake that and make it half the game, and they didn't even bother adding enough to the gameplay to make it worth while :( sorry Kat, still love you but it's time to go back to Team Siren now lol

Gravidee

Don't even get me started on being greeted with the same city I've already played through on 2 separate occasions in the previous game as the second half of the sequel.

I don't see anything wrong with this. Hekseville is essentially Kat's home, not just "that same city from the first game". Plus, it's nice seeing it again with a visual upgrade.

I don't see anything wrong with this. Hekseville is essentially Kat's home, not just "that same city from the first game". Plus, it's nice seeing it again with a visual upgrade.

Yeah, I thought it was a great surprise that we got to return. JPL was big enough to facilitate the game itself, but then you get a whole other sandbox too? I liked it.

So I recently finished this and what an interesting game.

I have a lot of love this game, but I view it as pretty devisive. I am not sure if I have been so frustrated with a game I enjoyed since Jak 2...

Positives

+Firstly, the visuals are some of the best ever. This is the best looking cartoon style game alongside Ratchet and Clank. The art style is simply amazing, from the character and enemy designs, to the cities. The devs deserve more recognition for what they have done here.

+The game also oozes charm. This perhaps best exemplified by Kat's jazz number in the fortress infiltration mission. The characterisation, ost and visuals, all reinforce this.

+The soundtrack is excellent.

+The story, while labrynthine and convoluted, is also pretty interesting and has some emotional moments. Finding out about Kat's origins fleshed out her character, and were pretty impactful.

+Charaters are vibrant, and had recognisable quirks. Kat, especially, is generally very likeable, although often irritatingly naive, given how sneaky and snarky many of the other characters are.

+Gravity mechnics are excellent in general, with a few notable exceptions. The traversal is easily some of the best in gaming.

Negatives

-The non-gravity segments...Far too many, very frustrating game design.

-Non-gravity controls. Utterly poor, particularly jumping. This brought on a bit of rage.

-Treatment of Kat. I sometimes found the way many characters took advantage of her, a bit cruel on the part of the devs. There are quite a lot of assholes in this game.

-Side quests. Generally very repetitive. Those involving movement precision were frustrating.

Overall, I think the game had some pretty serious game design issues, but it also did many things really well. I do feel the game is somewhat underrated, and its merits are not sufficiently recognised. In terms of iconic visuals this is up there with stuff in Team Ico and Persona, in a more exuberant way. I hope we see this game again on PS5, but I want to see a new character in a completely different universe, as much as I like Kat I think her story is over. Otherwise, she needs to be transported to new universe (alongside Raven and Syd) with no possibility of returning.

Gravidee

I hope we see this game again on PS5, but I want to see a new character in a completely different universe, as much as I like Kat I think her story is over. Otherwise, she needs to be transported to new universe (alongside Raven and Syd) with no possibility of returning.

Wasn't it hinted by one of the disappearing scientists from the first game that there may be other pillar worlds out there? I could imagine a new game taking place at one of those. Of course, it doesn't have to be a pillar world as demonstrated by the existence of Jirga Para Lhao.

Top Bottom