• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manafort retroactively registers as foreign agent

Only this is real investigation with big stories actually dropping regularly

Morsels of potentially big stories. The pieces are there if you want to believe but there's been no evidence at all thus far that Trump can be directly connected to this. Liberals are starting to spread "fake news" just as much as conservatives. Manafort retroactively registering as a foreign agent means nothing right now and acting as if it's proof of Manafort snitching on Trump makes us all look foolish

LifEndz

I've read that when witnesses get flipped part of their deal is to retroactively go back and remediate whatever laws they broke.

So Manafort didn't register as a foreign agent. In return for testimony and evidence they won't prosecute him but he does have to go back and retroactively do what he should have done in the first place.

It's a strong sign.

Kind of like a bank robber who has flipped going back to the bank he robbed and giving them their money back and saying he's sorry. That doesn't just happen on its own.

Wow. If this isn't the case then holy shit, Donnie must be scared to death. It expecting Rosenstein and Mueller to be around much longer.

Surfinn

Morsels of potentially big stories. The pieces are there if you want to believe but there's been no evidence at all thus far that Trump can be directly connected to this. Liberals are starting to spread "fake news" just as much as conservatives. Manafort retroactively registering as a foreign agent means nothing right now and acting as if it's proof of Manafort snitching on Trump makes us all look foolish
Except literally no one here is touting anything as being evidence of collusion.

What are you talking about. No one is spreading fake news.

This is why we can't have nice things

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Oh brother.

How many have potentially flipped so far? Has the FBI talked to Kushner yet?

Wonder if this is all leading up to some oppo droppo on indepence day.

He's probably flipped

Somebody is singing.

Like seriously? C'mon guys. I want Trump to go down as much as you guys but this kind of salivation based on such little information is kinda gross

Also this site has been waiting for "oppo droppo" since last summer

Like seriously? C'mon guys. I want Trump to go down as much as you guys but this kind of salivation based on so little known facts is kinda gross

Also this site has been waiting for "oppo droppo" since last summer

Speculation =/= spreading fake news

Fake news persists even when contradicted by fact. If Mueller's investigation found no evidence of collusion, or if we learned that these individuals hadn't worked with the FBI, I and everyone you quoted would accept reality. Shooting the shit in a forum thread implies no delusion, no refusal to accept the situation. I can't read your mind, but I get the sense you mean to show how "both sides" propagate disinformation - a claim that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Also, "oppo droppo" last summer referred to the opposition research that campaigns conduct on opponents. Trump had it on Hillary, Hillary had it on Trump. In the last few months, oppo has come to mean evidence or hints of collusion, or "morsels," to use your term.

Boylamite

If you are American, you really owe your fellow Americans the courtesy of seeking a better understanding of what is going on right now. Your hot takes are being passed verbatim from fox news, through your ears and finding their way into your posts. I'd argue that is a foolish look.

Speculation =/= spreading fake news

Fake news persists even when contradicted by fact. If Mueller's investigation found no evidence of collusion, or if we learned that these individuals hadn't worked with the FBI, I and everyone you quoted would accept reality. Shooting the shit in a forum thread implies no delusion, no refusal to accept the situation. I can't read your mind, but I get the sense you mean to show how "both sides" propagate disinformation - a claim that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Also, "oppo droppo" last summer referred to the opposition research that campaigns conduct on opponents. Trump had it on Hillary, Hillary had it on Trump. In the last few months, oppo has come to mean evidence or hints of collusion, or "morsels," to use your term.

You're right, the fake news problem is still much more of an issue for right wing politics, but it's definitely spreading to the left. And if Mueller announced there was no evidence of collusion, maybe the people in this thread would drop it, but the left as a whole would probably take a stance akin to the right after Comey announced the end of Hillary's email investigation.

If you are American, you really owe your fellow Americans the courtesy of seeking a better understanding of what is going on right now. Your hot takes are being passed verbatim from fox news, through your ears and finding their way into your posts. I'd argue that is a foolish look.

If you were American, you would know that Fox News probably doesn't talk about the investigation enough to disperse any hot takes on it.

Do I think Trump has done something that should get him impeached? Yeah. He's the fucking worst. He admitted to obstruction of justice on Twitter. But I just don't see the point of running wild with speculation every time a new fragment of the story is uncovered that could potentially point to evidence of wrongdoing, because that hyperactive begins to define the level of discourse and soon this forum becomes /r/politics and we all believe that the entire GOP is about to go down in a RICO case because some lady on twitter said so.

So yeah, this was probably an overreaction and a case of hottake-itis, but I still think we're trending in a bad direction.

Surfinn

You're right, the fake news problem is still much more of an issue for right wing politics, but it's definitely spreading to the left. And if Mueller announced there was no evidence of collusion, maybe the people in this thread would drop it, but the left as a whole would probably take a stance akin to the right after Comey announced the end of Hillary's email investigation.
I think the only thing you've been remotely right on is that liberals would not let it go if literally no charges were placed on Trump or anyone in his administration. I'd be damn skeptical, that's for sure. There's just too much damn smoke for no one to have committed a crime.

theWB27

Whataboutismssss

Calling actual verified news fake

I want trump to go down as much as you guys

Liberals are as bad as the right

You're hitting quite a few talking points really quickly. Spread it out a little more. You don't want to look that obvious.

Whataboutismssss

Calling actual verified news fake

I want trump to go down as much as you guys

Liberals are as bad as the right

You're hitting quite a few talking points really quickly. Spread it out a little more. You don't want to look that obvious.

1. My brief mention of Hillary's emails was just to give a parallel of another well known investigation of a political figure that many people got worked up over even though it eventually went nowhere.

2. Please point me in the direction of any statement I made where I specifically called out a verified piece of news as fake.

3. I do, very badly.

4. I specifically said that liberals AREN'T as bad as the right

But please, be more patronizing.

Surfinn

1. My brief mention of Hillary's emails was just to give a parallel of another well known investigation of a political figure that many people got worked up over even though it eventually went nowhere.

2. Please point me in the direction of any statement I made where I specifically called out a verified piece of news as fake.

3. I do, very badly.

Can I ask who you voted for, out of curiosity?

And I think people got a little riled up cuz you threw out "fake news" to characterize speculation

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Whatchoo on about mate?

Chumley

Banned
Well obviously not 1 to 1 but if you ask them, Pizzagate has had a "big story dropping tomorrow" for the past six months

Except a big story HAS dropped regularly and there is kind of a trend for this shit happening.

Oh my god, go back to r/t_d please. Jesus fucking christ.

Some of you are sounding just as delusional as the Infowars crowd

The only person that's delusional here is you buddy. You just compared 17 intelligence agencies, High level Special Prosecutor and his team, allied foreign intelligence providing information, The Washington post, The Eastern Direction of Virginia court and two Congressional committee investigations .

Of being the same type of information output or sounding like the nut jobs over at infowars? like wtf. What purpose does that serve? also you can't use the "look what happened with Hillary" argument because that was clearly a coordinated attack by a foreign power and that's were all this stuff jumped off from in the first place, to it's all apart of this. It's the reason Podesta is going to be having a hearing coming up soon about said hack that snowballed this crap shot (presumable). All in a effort to discredit her even further -even though she did do damage to her own campaign regardless.

Also there's a clear pattern with this shit at this point, maybe at the beginning you could claim caution. But the minute that CNN special aired, the banking/FinCen information-records has requested,The Kusher shit, Trumps connection to Felix (who was a FBI informant), classified information by the IC on the 2016 election inference, Weird stuff happening in state's during the election, Lawyers hiring Lawyers that hire Lawyers, Deutsche bank caught laundering russian money last year, Trump-Miami connection, Trumps amazing contradiction "skills" to incriminate himself. Then you got Mike Flynn filling out his Foreign Agent Act paperwork retroactively, which is not standard protocol. Then you got Flynn than just a few days later, start talking about immunity and his lawyer saying that he had a "story to tell" and disappearing after that. That's a lot to ignore, especially when they come from the place and or places that would naturally have this type of insight or say broke the Watergate case....

Now you got Paul Freaking Manafort. A pretty big piece that had denied over and over the past months that he was involved, even when people found out that he was behind or involved. With what happened in Ukraine in regards to their now ousted Russian influenced former-president from 2012 to 2014. These are things that can be cross referenced and are under investigation.

Socreges

Banned
If you were American, you would know that Fox News probably doesn't talk about the investigation enough to disperse any hot takes on it.

Do I think Trump has done something that should get him impeached? Yeah. He's the fucking worst. He admitted to obstruction of justice on Twitter. But I just don't see the point of running wild with speculation every time a new fragment of the story is uncovered that could potentially point to evidence of wrongdoing, because that hyperactive begins to define the level of discourse and soon this forum becomes /r/politics and we all believe that the entire GOP is about to go down in a RICO case because some lady on twitter said so.

So yeah, this was probably an overreaction and a case of hottake-itis, but I still think we're trending in a bad direction.
I don't think there's any trend. There are some people that will overreact but that's to be expected. In all, I get where you're coming from and I share your skepticism but I think you're being a bit hyperbolic.

UberTag

So Trump's friends all get their little bail out, retroactive titles to come clean to the feds, Trump eventually gets admonished, has to leave the job he hates to golf full time and the Republicans get to stay in power? Is that where this is all headed? Because I don't see any heads rolling in this scenario at all. Let alone any retribution to ensure a different set of cronies won't try this nonsense again next time around.

So, no... I don't relish at the idea of Manafort singing like a canary and getting exonerated from all of his past deeds.

Manafort was always a big deal. The guy has loads of Russia ties.

I'm genuinely surprised it's taken this long to hear his name in 2017.

Vagabundo

So Trump's friends all get their little bail out, retroactive titles to come clean to the feds, Trump eventually gets admonished, has to leave the job he hates to golf full time and the Republicans get to stay in power? Is that where this is all headed? Because I don't see any heads rolling in this scenario at all. Let alone any retribution to ensure a different set of cronies won't try this nonsense again next time around.

So, no... I don't relish at the idea of Manafort singing like a canary and getting exonerated from all of his past deeds.

I had to break it too ya, but with all the connections to the big players I really doubt that justice will be done. The scenario you gave it probably one of the better outcomes from all this.

I'd be surprised if anyone gets prison time out of this shit show.

Can I get a source on that "just as much" claim?

Manafort is in deep shit with his daughters husband name of Yohai who is as dodgy and unsuccessful as trump is where it comes to property but has a gambling addiction as well.

Much of his ill gotten Ukrainian gains got diverted to bailing this guy out of dodgy deals and gambling debts and I imagine the FBI can get cooperation of manafort by squeezing Yohai.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Trump to register as foreign agent before the end of the year at this rate

While Trump is as stupid as it gets, I think he is really smart enough not to do the dirty work himself and never to actually tell someone to do something outside of four eye conversations. In the end there will be a lot of circumstantial evidence but I doubt it will go beyond that. They may be flipped but it will always be the word of somebody that has something to lose because they did something against the president of the US. And that won't be enough. They will have to get Trump on something else.

theWB27

3. I do, very badly.

You specifically noted that us commenting on these stories everytime one drops puts us on the path of the rdonald. Ignoring how many posters shoot down posting news that isn't verified and the fact we comment on real news. Not waiting on a random 4chan member to feed us some more random info.

If you don't see anything wrong with saying us commenting on news like this is, while not 1-1, rivals 🍕 gate then whoa.

You're also forgetting about the fake news during the election being spread by Russia that helped feed all that frenzy surrounding email's.

And we're as bad as the infowars crowd.

At the end of the day Trump is just going to say I'm new to this and I didn't know they were doing X, they went rogue. It is basically the same defense Christie used for Bridgegate.

Except a big story HAS dropped regularly and there is kind of a trend for this shit happening.

Oh my god, go back to r/t_d please. Jesus fucking christ.

It's pretty cool that so can post one vaguely hot take, later admit it was hyperbolic, and still get told to go back to /r/t_d

RPGCrazied

Again I ask, how could Trump not know about this? Shit, he was his campaign manger for months! First Flynn, now this guy. Yeah, something HAS to be on Trump on this.

Oersted

Well obviously not 1 to 1 but if you ask them, Pizzagate has had a "big story dropping tomorrow" for the past six months

The wish for big news dropping tomorrow turns this into Pizzagate 2 fakenews.

And I thought my trolling is bad.

It's pretty cool that I can post one vaguely hot take

We noticed

Arttemis

What a fucking shit 2nd page thread derail by someone either blatantly ignorant of the extent to which instigative journalism regarding this administration has actually uncovered damning activities, or blatantly blowing smoke out their ass and into their keyboard.

Brewmont

Banned

Here's what I don't understand about people parroting this "there has been no evidence of collusion" line: why would we be privy to any potential evidence the FBI has, if the case is still ongoing? Do you think they're picking attorneys with specialized backgrounds just for the fun of it? You have to realize how short sighted this "no proof" line is, since we obviously would not know yet.

I see Trump supporters on the news say this too, and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Like, there is obviously some sort of fire to all this smoke based on recent FBI actions, it's going to all come out eventually, why make yourself look stupid when you don't have to?

Ludovico

Here's what I don't understand about people parroting this "there has been no evidence of collusion" line: why would we be privy to any potential evidence the FBI has, if the case is still ongoing? Do you think they're picking attorneys with specialized backgrounds just for the fun of it? You have to realize how short sighted this "no proof" line is, since we obviously would not know yet.

I see Trump supporters on the news say this too, and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Like, there is obviously some sort of fire to all this smoke based on recent FBI actions, it's going to all come out eventually, why make yourself look stupid when you don't have to?

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a drug.
That, and the fact that large parts of our profit-driven news media treats this like a sport, with winners and losers to every move and highlighting a culture of hero-worshiping/player-hating the players.

This is exactly my point though. A lot of smoke =/= fire. That's why I brought up the emails investigation. A lot of people thought there was a lot of smoke there but there turned out to be no fire.

There has been evidence of Trump being involved in collusion but it's all circumstantial. They're picking attorneys with specialized backgrounds because investigating the president is a big deal and you need big guns, regardless of the evidence on the table. Treating this like it's inevitable based purely on circumstantial evidence is a line of thinking that usually breeds conspiracy theories. I'm not saying that this is a conspiracy theory, I'm just saying that the way we're starting to think about these investigations is similar to the headspace occupied by the crazies who want to believe Hillary Clinton is involved in a child sex ring so they manipulate what they have until it forms a narrative that justifies their beliefs. Obviously the case against Trump is more concrete than Pizzagate, but counting your chickens before they hatch is a bad practice

At the very least, seeing this as an inevitability will result in complacency which is the last thing we need right now

Top Bottom