• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

UFC's Tito Ortiz Says He's Considering Joining The WWE After His Fight With Forrest Griffin

itFXQWzSYvzIc.png

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
http://www.mmafighting.com/bellator...an-raphael-davis-arrested-for-insurance-fraud

According to multiple news outlets, the pro mixed martial artist was arrested on Tuesday and charged with four felony counts of insurance fraud. Why? Prosecutors say that he filed for worker's compensation insurance between December 2008 and May 2011. So while he apparently claimed he was not healthy enough to work at his L.A. fire department job, his fight career was inexplicably reaching its peak with multiple appearances for Bellator and M-1 Global.

Surely there's a better explanation than that. No-one is that stupid, right?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

Sheer brilliance. Still can't get over "come for the concert, stay for the fight." Got to be the most unenthusiastic tag-line ever, sounds like they wish they were promoting anything other than MMA.

Holy shit do the suited up guys in the middle only have one arm each?

SteveWD40

Sheer brilliance. Still can't get over "come for the concert, stay for the fight." Got to be the most unenthusiastic tag-line ever, sounds like they wish they were promoting anything other than MMA.

Holy shit do the suited up guys in the middle only have one arm each?

I thought the same thing, it's like the MMA is incidental or something. Thing is all you hear is about how India and China are the emerging markets for MMA, you would think they would be happy to be getting a foothold first.

They really have a quantity not quality product as well, SF3 already? at this rate Thompson will be their HW champ and have defended the belt 6 times by August.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I thought the same thing, it's like the MMA is incidental or something. Thing is all you hear is about how India and China are the emerging markets for MMA, you would think they would be happy to be getting a foothold first.

They really have a quantity not quality product as well, SF3 already? at this rate Thompson will be their HW champ and have defended the belt 6 times by August.

SFL's approach is stupid. They are banking purely on the "spectacle" of MMA, of seeing two large hulks throw each other around. This is the one way to create a fad that will die once the excitement is gone. Their noted enthusiasm in begging people to stay to watch it after the music ends is the cherry on top.

In contrast, ONE FC is building a massive network of gyms and smaller organisations. They've had to utilise the "spectacle" card at least once but at the same time they've built up a few good names and have had some really amazing fights. Add to that major sponsorship deals and a continental TV deal and you've got something that genuinely looks like it'll still be here in 3 years time.

People bash Bob Sapp as sucking ass all the time, but ill be damned if he didn't have the most epic fight with Big Nog. That fight was straight up out of a movie and I thought Nog broke his neck. He did pretty damn good against the #2 GOAT HW.

People bash Bob Sapp as sucking ass all the time, but ill be damned if he didn't have the most epic fight with Big Nog. That fight was straight up out of a movie and I thought Nog broke his neck. He did pretty damn good against the #2 GOAT HW.
That Sapp is no longer with us. The Bob Sapp we know has copped to losing fights intentionally to put his opponents over.

dream

There is a demanding fan base and what he’s willing to physically put himself through. I remember Bob Sapp telling me, “Once I got rich, being hit in the face hurt a whole lot more.” When you need money to support a family, you will be driven to do anything, healthy or not, to achieve that goal. When you are set, you won’t be driven to do anything you don’t want to do, and Lesnar, even more than the average person, knows the value of health and risking your health when you’re already financially set.

ShaneB

I thought for a second that James Thompson had SFL written in his hair. That would've been dedication. But alas, it doesn't appear that is what is actually there, that second letter looks more like a K or a R, instead of an F.

TheNatural

My Member!
A few days off from the intranets, I'm putting a self imposed ban on any discussion you-know-who for the future. The only Russians I'll be talking about are the ones John McClane kill in the new Die Hard.

TheNatural

My Member!
The fuck?

Square Enix London Studios, a part of Square Enix Europe, today announced its partnership with highly acclaimed mixed martial arts (MMA) champion Georges St-Pierre to collaborate on the development of Sleeping Dogs. St-Pierre, known to his legion of fans as "GSP," has been working with Square Enix and United Front Games on multiple elements -- including combat -- in Sleeping Dogs, a gritty open world cop drama set in the vibrant city of Hong Kong.

"Working with Square Enix has been an incredible opportunity," said St-Pierre. "I'm really impressed to see how the hand-to-hand combat in the game is shaping up -- it's been a great experience being involved."

In the stylized, high-action Hong Kong setting of Sleeping Dogs, every street corner, market stall, harbor dock or city skyscraper can become an opportunity for intense shoot-outs, adrenaline-fuelled street races and intense, brutal martial arts combat as players take on the role of undercover cop Wei Shen. Featuring an intuitive and imaginative combat system, Sleeping Dogs empowers players to perform an extensive set of martial arts moves, single-handedly taking on numerous opponents. Players perform bone-crushing kicks and combos, vicious counters and a cinematic set of environmental takedowns making use of countless real-world items from circular saws to phone booths, incinerators to refrigerator doors.

GSP's skills might translate better to a street fight. Take someone down on concrete and they'll be pretty fucked up. Also you have no idea how dark he is in the head. Demons.

This sounds like yet another version of GTA.

Heel

FRIDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

Bellator 65

Pre televised fights start at 4:00 PM PT / 7:00 PM ET, free on Spike.com and Bellator.com
Televised fights start at 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET on MTV 2, HD on Epix
Post televised fights start at 7:00 PM PT / 10:00 PM ET, free on Spike.com and Bellator.com

The Ultimate Fighter Live

Starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET on FX

XFC 17: Apocalypse

Starts at 7:00 PM PT / 10:00 PM ET on HDNet

SATURDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

UFC on Fuel TV 2: Gustafsson vs. Silva

Prelims start at 9:30 AM PT / 12:30 PM ET, free on Facebook.com
Main card starts at 12:00 PM PT / 3:00 PM ET on Fuel TV

SUNDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

Samurai MMA Pro 2

Starts at ~6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET, free on Sherdog.com

The Ultimate Fighter Brazil

Archive available at ~9:00 PM PT / 12:00 AM ET, free on TUF.tv

OTHER NOTABLE FIGHTS

Luis Palomino vs. James Warfield (Friday, CFA 6)
John Howard vs. Todd Chattelle (Friday, CES MMA: Never Surrender)
Tony Lopez vs. Cody East (Saturday, King of the Cage: Bad Intentions 2)
Baga Agaev vs. Juha Saarinen (Saturday, Lappeenranta Fight Night 7)
Aljamain Sterling (BE's #2 bantamweight prospect) vs. Casey Johnson (Monday, CFFC 14: No Mercy)
Sean Santella (BE's #8 flyweight prospect) vs. Tuan Pham (Monday, CFFC 14: No Mercy)
Greg Soto vs. Sean Sullivan (Monday, CFFC 14: No Mercy)

TheNatural

My Member!
Fixed

FRIDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

Bellator 65

Pre televised fights start at 7:00 PM ET, free on Spike.com and Bellator.com
Televised fights start at 8:00 PM ET on MTV 2, HD on Epix
Post televised fights start at 10:00 PM ET, free on Spike.com and Bellator.com

The Ultimate Fighter Live

Starts at 9:00 PM ET on FX

XFC 17: Apocalypse

Starts at 10:00 PM ET on HDNet

SATURDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

UFC on Fuel TV 2: Gustafsson vs. Silva

Prelims start at 12:30 PM ET, free on Facebook.com
Main card starts at 3:00 PM ET on Fuel TV

SUNDAY FIGHT SCHEDULE

Samurai MMA Pro 2

Starts at ~9:00 PM ET, free on Sherdog.com

The Ultimate Fighter Brazil

Archive available at ~12:00 AM ET, free on TUF.tv

OTHER NOTABLE FIGHTS

Luis Palomino vs. James Warfield (Friday, CFA 6)
John Howard vs. Todd Chattelle (Friday, CES MMA: Never Surrender)
Tony Lopez vs. Cody East (Saturday, King of the Cage: Bad Intentions 2)
Baga Agaev vs. Juha Saarinen (Saturday, Lappeenranta Fight Night 7)
Aljamain Sterling (BE's #2 bantamweight prospect) vs. Casey Johnson (Monday, CFFC 14: No Mercy)
Sean Santella (BE's #8 flyweight prospect) vs. Tuan Pham (Monday, CFFC 14: No Mercy)
Greg Soto vs. Sean Sullivan (Monday, CFFC 14: No Mercy

Top Bottom