• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (~200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2017 Edition ||

redcrayon

And nothing of value was lost.

Nobody told me that Grand Kingdom was such an addicting game, probably one of the most enjoyable experiences on Vita for me this year.
Grand Kingdom is great, I find the class balance has meant I'm struggling to settle on a preferred party composition, always a good sign. Shame that it seems to have been largely ignored.

It's on sale at the moment for EU vitagaffers, definitely worth a go.

Jimrpg

I'm also playing thru Grand Kingdom now and really enjoying it about 10 hours in. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I'm still using the initial party and they are level 10 now. The difficulty has been just right so far, I've failed the quest a couple of times but only because at the start I had no idea what I was doing and wasted lots of turns in battle and the movement on the map has not been all that precise and I end up botching a movement with no way to undo it.

The only gripe I have is that the story has really uneventful, but the game in general makes up for it. Plus the game is gorgeous and vanillaware like. No fan service so far which suits me.

but I hope this isn't like last January where a number of games I was really looking forward to are canned.

And right on friggin' cue, here's another January Vita cancellation, this time Poncho:

http://poncho-game.com/?p=208

Before we do that, first we must say with a heavy heart that we've been forced to give up on the Vita port of the game. Things out of our control are stopping us from actually sending it to Playstation, and we have no choice but to cease development of it. Unfortunately, we can't give any hard reasons for the cancellation without incurring some kind of legal penalty.

To be fair, it sounds like they've been through an absolute nightmare though:

Now, this is where writing this gets tough. For legal reasons, there's a bunch of events here that we can't talk about. There would be massive repercussions if we do, and we've been told as much. I would, however, suggest this to all you other developers out there: Think very, very, very hard about whether or not getting a publisher is right for you.

Due to these events, we had no money, I lost my home, we lost our sony dev kits, I was thousands in debt and we had to cut a great deal of the designed content from PONCHO, including key characters and story elements in order to release something at least. And no one would help us.

It feels horrible to write that down, but there it is. We still have all the debt as well as painful/wonderful memories and experiences though. A year after the initial release, we released the Wii U version which had similar result as the first one. We've since developed patches for the Wii U and PS4 versions while working new day jobs, but we have been prevented from actually handing them over to the platforms.

But, on the flipside, seems the guy behind Siralim has already changed his mind on that one:

https://twitter.com/ThylaStudios/status/818079026401148929

it's coming

(though, he continues to remind us that our handheld is dead)

That's such a shame about Poncho. I was holding off buying it on Steam cause I was waiting for the Vita version. Oh well. Hope the team recovers. Best of luck to them.

incpdo

In what I'm sure is going to be a January of fairly crappy news, at least there's some light:

https://twitter.com/DemetriosCowcat/status/818161410890932227

Sales success from a dedicated dev who did a good job engaging with the community. Really glad to see it.

Others should follow his attitude. Kudos to the guy.

Regarding poncho I thought it was going to be cancelled idk why. There are some games I put mentally on the vaporware category like for example gyossait ( I was really looking forward to play this one)

FDC1

3 games coming this week in NA: Spheroids (platformer/pong-like), Xenoraid (shoot-them-up) and Asdivine Hearts (RPG)

I have no idea how Kemco is still up and running. That said, if Asdivine Hearts is cheap, I'll bite.

They released a couple of PSP RPG's really late in its life. Like after the Vita launched. That aren't compatible with Vita in Europe (End of Serenity).

-_-

This Poncho cancellation has become a bit of a drama. CEO of Just Add Water:

https://twitter.com/stewartgilray/status/818389134918225921

If you're going to claim that YOU made a VITA version of your game, DON'T lie to fans when you say the pub won't release it! Tell the truth!

https://twitter.com/stewartgilray/status/818389328493744128

... Especially when it runs at a MAX of 15fps, and it crashes constantly. Oh and that a pro developer said it couldn't be done!

Shizuka

Nice to see Circle Ent publishing Vita titles, after they told me last year that no one was buying PSN Vita games like the 3DS eShop ones.

Shinriji

And who is buying these games? I mean, if they're all the same, why even bother?

My mom, a huge 2D JRPG fan, told me that she liked Mystery Chronicles a lot but she dropped End of Serenity fairly in the beginning. So they aren't all alike. I didn´t played them yet because YUCK 15FPS RPG.

Nice to see Circle Ent publishing Vita titles, after they told me last year that no one was buying PSN Vita games like the 3DS eShop ones.

Really? Lol. I mean I've no doubt that you can see success from 3DS eShop, but I haven't heard of any runaway success stories other than Shovel Knight.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear it too. I actually bought Air Race Speed the other day. Usually I wait for sales but £3.99 and it was receiving good reviews, so it was a no brainer really.

For anyone interested: Play-Asia has started shipping their physical release of Söldner-X 2 Final Prototype.

https://twitter.com/playasia/status/818342709756760064

Comes with some extras:

C1tVZJ6UsAIwGhj.jpg:large

Shizuka

Since Play-Asia is OOS and I don't want to miss Asia-exclusive titles, I ordered Gundam Breaker 3 from eBay. I found a particular seller that was selling for the same as Play-Asia, which was great since I didn't find a good deal a few weeks ago when I went looking for it.

HAs there been any mention of a release date past "Q1/Q2 2017"

Any shot at LRG for it?

Hardin ruled out physical for Caligula here:

https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/807241134640504833

However, he had this to add from a reddit thread:

I can share that I'm building a small cadre of people internally who are going to fight for physical vita when we evaluate prospective titles in the future.

Evidently he couldn't make that work for Valkyria Revolution, but he had this to share about that title:

https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/809055720930844672

Ive got a hail Mary in mind, but I don't suspect it'll work.

So tl;dr version - there's a long shot for all of their titles (bar Caligula) to get physical, but it definitely does seem like a long shot at this point.

Cornbread78

LRG already said a physical print for Caligula wouldn't be possible.
Hardin mentioned on twitter that they barely started working on the game. So summer is probably the earliest we'll see it.

Hardin ruled out physical for Caligula here:
https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/807241134640504833
However, he had this to add from a reddit thread:
Evidently he couldn't make that work for Valkyria Revolution, but he had this to share about that title:
https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/809055720930844672

So tl;dr version - there's a long shot for all of their titles (bar Caligula) to get physical, but it definitely does seem like a long shot at this point.

Uggh, I don't get why they just wouldn't do it. It would be a win/win for everyone, wouldn't it?

on a side question because I'm a little clueless on how the full LRG production cycle works, but:

Why wouldn't they just send everything to LRG ahead of time and have them print and be ready to go for launch? They could set up a specifically "Non-refundable" pre-order list and promise shipping within a week of launch. It would still be a win/win for LRG and the Publisher.

Pata

Given the rating summary, Atlus/SEGA rated Utawarerumono using a long form, something that is required for retail games. Not too many games rated with the long-form have been digital-only (Vita-related XCOM is the only one I can think off)

Shizuka

Given the rating summary, Atlus/SEGA rated Utawarerumono using a long form, something that is required for retail games. Not too many games rated with the long-form have been digital-only (Vita-related XCOM is the only one I can think off)

I really appreciate your input time and time again in this thred, Pata. Thank you for pointing that out!

Wow that's... really interesting. Thanks for sharing. Looking back over the past year, you're right, the long-form rating is only there for retail games and not there for digital games.

So I can start getting excited about physical for this one? Eep.

Side note, I find it baffling their choice to go physical with this specific game if true. I mean, not that I'm complaining at all, but this over Caligula and Valkyria? Caligula is a Vita-exclusive Persona-esque game; Valkyria is a multi-plat but from a well-established franchise with a dedicated fanbase. And Utawarerumono is also multi-plat but with no fanbase. If anything, I'd have pegged this one as the least likely to get physical, lol.

edit: World's Longest 5 Minutes also has a long-form rating. :eek:

HotHamBoy

My mom, a huge 2D JRPG fan, told me that she liked Mystery Chronicles a lot but she dropped End of Serenity fairly in the beginning. So they aren't all alike. I didn´t played them yet because YUCK 15FPS RPG.

How old are you and how old is your Mom?

Reading sentences like this still blows my mind (I'm 31).

Top Bottom