• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

VariantX

'99 has that beautiful rain stage though.

PlsqA6S.gif

What gets me is that there are three versions of this stage and some other stages to show progression of time. Insane amount of work.

Celine

So about that KOF '99.

I enjoy the heck out of it. But it's one of the weirder games in the series. Someone at SNK thought people still liked Extra mode, so they combined it with Advanced mode and gave us '99's red life SDM system and that weird roll dodge. Also, it's probably the last Neo Geo KOF where there's real effort and artistry in the background art.

2000 feels like it was affected by the bankruptcy proceeding, and the backgrounds don't look as nice because of it... I think. 2001 has poor backgrounds, mainly because of the washed out colours, but there's a lot stuff going on in them. 2002 is better but it's still kind of lacking - I can't really explain it. 2003's backgrounds are probably on the level of 2000.
I still think that KoF backgrounds peaked with '95.

Eolz

Tempted to get KOF 99 just for Whip, but I'm waiting to see the future lineup and what the VC will be like :p

cireza

Banned
So about that KOF '99.
Can you be kind enough and tell me if you can bind several buttons on the triggers ? Or put the Striker on a trigger at least ? Thanks.

I agree concerning the background comments you made for KOF99 and KOF2000. KOF2000 has a few backgrounds that are pretty meh. It is still one of the best KOFs IMHO.

Fiendcode

If the pattern from April's Nintendo Direct holds:

June 01: Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
June 08: Last Resort
June 15: Sengoku

Which will bring us to E3 and likely a new round of game announcements from Hamster. Probably also including some of the PS4/XB1 games we've missed so far too (King of Fighters 95, Sengoku 2, Samurai Showdown, Fatal Fury 2, Word Heroes 1-2, Art of Fighting, The Last Blade). Maybe Hamster will rollout their plans for the regular Arcade Archives on Switch too.

Can you be kind enough and tell me if you can bind several buttons on the triggers ? Or put the Striker on a trigger at least ? Thanks.
Striker (BC) is defaulted to ZL, dodge (AB) is on ZR. There's no other hotkey choices though.

YOOO, think I just stumbled onto one of my all time favorite backgrounds in any fighter, ever

absolutely stunning!
I love the 2nd version of the background with the heat haze coming from the jet engine of the airliner. I can't find a gif of it unfortunately.

Zakalwe

Banned
I bought Shock Troopers. It's quite fun, and I dig the multiple routes and hi-score challenges, but it doesn't have the same level of addictive play as Mercs did for me (I really hope that comes to Switch).

I'm not quite sure what it is, but I don't feel very compelled to play it after completing it a couple of times.

Did anyone else feel similar but perhaps find another Neo Geo title that felt more re-playable? I feel silly saying this about Shock Troopers as it seems like the perfect re-playable title, but I'm just not feeling it.

Lutherian

I bought Shock Troopers. It's quite fun, and I dig the multiple routes and hi-score challenges, but it doesn't have the same level of addictive play as Mercs did for me (I really hope that comes to Switch).

I'm not quite sure what it is, but I don't feel very compelled to play it after completing it a couple of times.

Did anyone else feel similar but perhaps find another Neo Geo title that felt more re-playable? I feel silly saying this about Shock Troopers as it seems like the perfect re-playable title, but I'm just not feeling it.

I felt the same.about Shock Troopers. But then I bought BLAZING STAR. It's a very nice shooter, with a hilarious engrish translation.

Eolz

Do any of you play the fighting games in handheld mode? Are they ok playing with the joystick?

I do it most of the time since they are not exactly definitive versions of the game, so it's nice to play arcade mode wherever.
Fine to play with the joystick, and the fake d-pad can actually be pretty decent as well. Just don't expect it to be as good as a real dpad obviously.

Alpha_eX

Finished Metal Slug today, don't remember the slow down being so bad in the arcade, it's even worse in MS3 but doesn't ruin it too much.

Download Waku Waku 7 today and really don't click with it, the camera zoom and moves around way too much, I can't do the supers either but that may be a pad issue.

Hopefully we get some more Metal Slug.

antibolo

Banned
2 is different enough from X though. Nothing wrong with owning and playing both if available.

Not really. Metal Slug 2 is an historical curiosity at best. For people experiencing the series for the first time they're better off going straight to the definitive version of that game.

Funny thing is that if Hamster push hard enough, we could fucking LITERALLY have the entire Neo Geo line-up on Switch within three years of the system's life. Wikipedia claims there are 148 games, and we get one a week (after the initial bunch).

Hamster are really something else if they pull this off. o_O

They obviously need to get other games on there from other consoles/arcade systems. How about knocking on Sega and Namco's door? HMM?! ;)

I do it most of the time since they are not exactly definitive versions of the game, so it's nice to play arcade mode wherever.
Fine to play with the joystick, and the fake d-pad can actually be pretty decent as well. Just don't expect it to be as good as a real dpad obviously.

I really wish that they would include demos again for store purchases, would make this stuff so much easier :/

Also, controls for start/other stuff for Blazing star is beyond terrible. Seems like buttons for start and such don't always respond, maybe better if doing just one joycon but annoying to remember/get to work for handheld mode.

brinstar

So about that KOF '99.

I enjoy the heck out of it. But it's one of the weirder games in the series. Someone at SNK thought people still liked Extra mode, so they combined it with Advanced mode and gave us '99's red life SDM system and that weird roll dodge. Also, it's probably the last Neo Geo KOF where there's real effort and artistry in the background art.

kof99-stage-alley-animate.gif

kof99-stage-airport-animate.gif

kof99-stage-park3-animate.gif

kof99-stage-krizalid-animate.gif

god, I miss this stuff so much

Fiendcode

Funny thing is that if Hamster push hard enough, we could fucking LITERALLY have the entire Neo Geo line-up on Switch within three years of the system's life. Wikipedia claims there are 148 games, and we get one a week (after the initial bunch).

Hamster are really something else if they pull this off. o_O

They obviously need to get other games on there from other consoles/arcade systems. How about knocking on Sega and Namco's door? HMM?! ;)
Sega and Namco tend to have their own retro initiatives, they won't bother working with Hamster. Same for Capcom.

Right now Hamster works with SNK, Konami, Taito, Arc System Works (Technos), G-Mode (Data East), Tecmo, Sunsoft, Clarice Games (Jaleco) Asya (UPL) and LAT (Escape, Westone) on Arcade Archives. Hamster also already owns rights to rights to games from Nichibutsu.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Sega and Namco tend to have their own retro initiatives, they won't bother working with Hamster. Same for Capcom.

Right now Hamster works with SNK, Konami, Taito, Arc System Works (Technos), G-Mode (Data East), Tecmo, Sunsoft, Clarice Games (Jaleco) Asya (UPL) and LAT (Escape, Westone) on Arcade Archives. Hamster also already owns rights to rights to games from Nichibutsu.

They own UPL's catalog, they bought it last year.

It seems like they're not really working with LAT, either--Wonder Boy came out before LAT acquired the Westone catalog and I don't think Monster Land is ever going to come out.

1upsuper

I've played through Metal Slug 1-6 solo but I finally got to play through Metal Slug 1 and then 3 with a friend and it's a totally different experience playing co-op. I love this series, but X and 3 are by far and away my favorites.

So about that KOF '99.

I enjoy the heck out of it. But it's one of the weirder games in the series. Someone at SNK thought people still liked Extra mode, so they combined it with Advanced mode and gave us '99's red life SDM system and that weird roll dodge.

My friends and I were more into KoF '98 on the Dreamcast than any fighting game I can think of. But '99 was so different it was a letdown...I still played it a bunch but it didn't have the magic that '98 did.

D.Lo

My friends and I were more into KoF '98 on the Dreamcast than any fighting game I can think of. But '99 was so different it was a letdown...I still played it a bunch but it didn't have the magic that '98 did.
Twist: 98 on the Dreamcast was actually called 99...

So I was abroad and took my switch with me.
There were several arcades in town but they were full with stupid "iphone" games (I dunno what to call them) and other non-arcade stuff. next to no arcade classics (some pinball machines;thats it).
We ended up playing NeoGeo games on the switch. We played almost for 5 hours (afair) straight till the battery died.

I need an additional dock for vacations though. I want to connect the switch to hotel TVs.
I hope Nintendo lets me buy a dock only soon.

How good is that compared to other shooters?

compared to other neogeo shooters? good.
it's a great R-Type rip off which suffers from one big problem: You cannot continue from the point where you die. this makes it very frustrating sometimes.
I prefer vertical shmups like Aero Fighters and Ghost Pilots.

AmyS

How good is that compared to other shooters?

I liked Last Resort quite a lot. It's a good 1992 shmup.
Better than arcade R-Type II (1989) but not as good as the original R-Type (1987).

Here are some print magazine previews & reviews from back in the day, that I posted a couple weeks ago.

DieHard GameFAN

GamePro

Video Games & Computer Entertainment

Electronic Gaming Monthly

Computer and Video Games

Last Resort's closest brothers are probably R-Type Leo and In The Hunt.

Tamanator

I really want In the Hunt. Was always tempted to grab it for the Saturn but was put off by the slowdown. Now it goes for ridiculous prices.

Top Bottom