• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Wii U specs leaked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

CREDIT TO BGASSASSIN

I THINK

Was posted in the conference thread.

Looks legit, but time will tell:

http://www.vgleaks.com/world-premiere-wii-u-specs/

Main Application Processor

PowerPC architecture.
Three cores (fully coherent).
3MB aggregate L2 Cache size.
core 0: 512 KB
core 1: 2048 KB
core 2: 512 KB
Write gatherer per core.
Locked (L1d) cache DMA per core.

Main Memory

Up to 3GB of main memory (CAT-DEVs only). Note: retail machine will have half devkit memory
Please note that the quantity of memory available from the Cafe SDK and Operating System may vary.

Graphics and Video

Modern unified shader architecture.
32MB high-bandwidth eDRAM, supports 720p 4x MSAA or 1080p rendering in a single pass.
HDMI and component video outputs.

Features

Unified shader architecture executes vertex, geometry, and pixel shaders
Multi-sample anti-aliasing (2, 4, or 8 samples per pixel)
Read from multi-sample surfaces in the shader
128-bit floating point HDR texture filtering
High resolution texture support (up to 8192 x 8192)
Indexed cube map arrays

8 render targets
Independent blend modes per render target
Pixel coverage sample masking
Hierarchical Z/stencil buffer
Early Z test and Fast Z Clear
Lossless Z & stencil compression
2x/4x/8x/16x high quality adaptive anisotropic filtering modes
sRGB filtering (gamma/degamma)
Tessellation unit
Stream out support
Compute shader support

GX2 is a 3D graphics API for the Nintendo Wii U system (also known as Cafe). The API is designed to be as efficient as GX(1) from the Nintendo GameCube and Wii systems. Current features are modeled after OpenGL and the AMD r7xx series of graphics processors. Wii U’s graphics processor is referred to as GPU7.
Sound and Audio

Dedicated 120MHz audio DSP.
Support for 6 channel discrete uncompressed audio (via HDMI).
2 channel audio for the Cafe DRC controller.
Monaural audio for the Cafe Remote controller.

Networking

802.11 b/g/n Wifi.

Peripherals

2 x USB 2.0 host controllers x 2 ports each.
SDCard Slot.

Built-in Storage

512MB SLC NAND for System.
8GB MLC NAND for Applications.

Host PC Bridge

Dedicated Cafe-to-host PC bridge hardware.
Allows File System emulation by host PC.
Provides interface for debugger and logging to host PC.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Accurate to devkit info I had awhile ago.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
As long as it's at least on par with the PS3/X360, it'll be fine. I just need more games to justify the purchase, though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My brief takeaway would be that this seems similar to rumors we had from quite a while back with a fairly improved GPU.

-3 core CPU
-1.5 GB of RAM in the retail version
-A DX10 compliant GPU, since the shaders are unified (model 4.0), but not compute shaders (model 5.0)
-Compute shaders are encouraging

I'm glad the Wii U has a tessellation unit. It will get a lot of mileage from Retro.

I think this is the one AMD had in the 360 as opposed to their new DX11 one. I could definitely be wrong.

-Given the compute shaders, perhaps it is the actual tessellator, which would be a good win for them.

Ein Bear

I'm not much of a tech-person, how does this compare to the PS3/360? Is it similar/slightly better/full generational leap?

How many Gamecube's taped together?

My brief takeaway would be that this seems similar to rumors we had from quite a while back:

-3 core CPU
-A DX10 compliant GPU, since the shaders are unified (model 4.0), but not compute shaders (model 5.0)

I think this is the one AMD had in the 360 as opposed to their new DX11 one. I could definitely be wrong.

Um...
Stream out support
Compute shader support

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
2x/4x/8x/16x high quality adaptive anisotropic filtering modes

:D :D :D

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
To be honest, that's much better than I was expecting.

Nibel

I waited a long time for specs, but the press conference begins in a few minutes and they'll show actually first party HD titles - I don't need those raw numbers now. :)

canvee

My brief takeaway would be that this seems similar to rumors we had from quite a while back:

-3 core CPU
-Compute shaders are encouraging

What are the main differences between shaders model 4.0 and 5.0?

Cake Boss

Banned
Moon language to me. What is all that supposed to mean?

Same.

3GB is good rite gaf.

I remember some poster saying that it would be a miracle if the other 2 next gen consoles had 4gb. so 3GB is good right, or is that ram just for devs or something.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What are the main differences between shaders model 4.0 and 5.0?

Compute Shaders let you write your own code and run it on the GPU for anything that would benefit from a floating point based processor like physics or animation.

Shader Model 4 can technically be recompiled for from Shader Model 5, but performance is unideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom