• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World TGS 2017 Trailer

You'd have to be crazy to expect an MH4-sized roster, but I really do think Capcom learned its lesson after the backlash towards Tri's lack of weapons/monsters. They focused really hard on delivering a large quantity of content on every game since P3rd. Even to their detriment sometimes by dredging up 2nd gen monsters that should maybe not have come back.

Oh yeah for sure and it was also pointed out that Vanilla MH4 had a lot more returning monsters than new to push that number up to 50

So yeah Ill be more than happy if we get into the 30's especially at this level of quality across the board on environments and animations

Im over the moon for this game

I keep seeing a lot of talk about returning monsters.
So far we've seen only Rathalos and Barroth correct? Are we just idly speculating/hoping? Or is there some merit to this?

Please Jeebus gimme Gore in this engine!

I keep seeing a lot of talk about returning monsters.
So far we've seen only Rathalos and Barroth correct? Are we just idly speculating/hoping? Or is there some merit to this?

Please Jeebus gimme Gore in this engine!

Diablos and Rathian are also returning (just counting the large monsters).

Ridley327

One thing about the roster, both currently known and what's to come, is that I hope that when the time comes for subspecies to be introduced, that we see a visual design to them that's more influenced by fourth gen's take than, well, previous gens. I really liked that they went beyond simple color swaps, as you wound up with guys like Chaotic Gore Magala that has a rather striking design, and the Deviants doing a good job of emphasizing what they bring new to the table with the alterations that their models get. It's not to say that the old re-colors don't have their place, but I think we're at the point where we deserve a little better than that across the board.

Ridley327

Newbie question- What function does the researchers have?

In the lore, there are branches in cities and villages of Guild researchers digging into the history of the world and the monsters themselves, as there's been some inclination towards the world of Monster Hunter possibly being somewhat post-apocalyptic. Previously, it's really not been much more than adding some personality to the quest description before you take it, but it does seem like that they're trying to expand their role out a bit further, probably more in line with how Monster Hunter Stories depicts them.

Gameplay-wise, though? That remains to be seen, but they're definitely doing something more now than just being some local flavor for the hubs.

One thing about the roster, both currently known and what's to come, is that I hope that when the time comes for subspecies to be introduced, that we see a visual design to them that's more influenced by fourth gen's take than, well, previous gens. I really liked that they went beyond simple color swaps, as you wound up with guys like Chaotic Gore Magala that has a rather striking design, and the Deviants doing a good job of emphasizing what they bring new to the table with the alterations that their models get. It's not to say that the old re-colors don't have their place, but I think we're at the point where we deserve a little better than that across the board.

As long as I still get my Pink Rathian.

To add on to the Series skills info I posted, here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249643026&postcount=592

It seems that there are also series skills that activate not just when you wear pieces from the same set, but also when you wear pieces that are related to each other.

Look at this screenshot:

1jLVNKA4Rbmob6V5uPU4rQ.png

Unfortunately, the skill isn't the one the cursor is on, but I've boxed it in red.

The skill is called Fire Wyvern Power, and according to the twitter I pulled this info from, it activated because the hunter has 2 pieces of Anjanath and 1 piece of Rathalos equipped.

So he actually has 2 series skills active right now. Fire Wyvern Power for 2 Anjanath+1 Los, and Fierce Jaw Wyvern Power for 3 Anjanath pieces.

EDIT:

Actually, looking at it again, it might just be showing that he could activate those series skills by equipping enough pieces of each set.

Since the series skills are greyed out, where in this screenshot, the series skill is not greyed out:

I had pulled the info from here: https://twitter.com/ColinJCaboose/status/911225193552662528

To add on to the Series skills info I posted, here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249643026&postcount=592

It seems that there are also series skills that activate not just when you wear pieces from the same set, but also when you wear pieces that are related to each other.

Look at this screenshot:

Unfortunately, the skill isn't the one the cursor is on, but I've boxed it in red.

The skill is called Fire Wyvern Power, and according to the twitter I pulled this info from, it activated because the hunter has 2 pieces of Anjanath and 1 piece of Rathalos equipped.

So he actually has 2 series skills active right now. Fire Wyvern Power for 2 Anjanath+1 Los, and Fierce Jaw Wyvern Power for 3 Anjanath pieces.

EDIT:

Actually, looking at it again, it might just be showing that he could activate those series skills by equipping enough pieces of each set.

Since the series skills are greyed out, where in this screenshot, the series skill is not greyed out:

I had pulled the info from here: https://twitter.com/ColinJCaboose/status/911225193552662528

We actually had this info in the thread already. Yes, there are set bonuses á la WoW tier sets. You got it right :D

We actually had this info in the thread already. Yes, there are set bonuses á la WoW tier sets. You got it right :D

No, what that twitter link was saying is that there are type set bonuses, like wearing 2 pieces of Anjanath + 1 piece of rathalos activated a separate set bonus because both monsters use fire. I believed it at first, but now I notice the set bonuses are greyed out in the screenshot I put a red box in.

So all it's saying is that you have the possibility of activating one or the other series skill/set bonus if the hunter equipped enough of either set.

Raide

Something I have not seen yet... When players slide down a hill with a bow...what attack move does it perform?

Listonosh

Aside from the Day 1 news being the release date and trailer, what new announcements came out of day 2 and 3? I feel like I completely missed those.

No, what that twitter link was saying is that there are type set bonuses, like wearing 2 pieces of Anjanath + 1 piece of rathalos activated a separate set bonus because both monsters use fire. I believed it at first, but now I notice the set bonuses are greyed out in the screenshot I put a red box in.

So all it's saying is that you have the possibility of activating one or the other series skill/set bonus if the hunter equipped enough of either set.
Ahh sorry, I misread your post.

Nosgoth

Neo Member

It works just like set bonuses from Diablo 3, but in this instance you can't activate both rathalos and anjanath set bounuses, as each requires 3 pieces of armor to activate, and you only have five armor slots. Maybe other sets require less pieces, or very possibly, there is a charm that works exactly like the royal ring of grandeur.

Just watching the tour of Astera video, that monster in your base is the one you captured, and you don't have to actually move around Astera to get to specific locations, there are shortcuts per series standard.

Toxi

Banned
I just want Tigerstripe Zamtrios back some day. Normal Zamtrios is okay, but Tigerstripe is one of the most fun fights in Monster Hunter for me.

Ridley327

I just want Tigerstripe Zamtrios back some day. Normal Zamtrios is okay, but Tigerstripe is one of the most fun fights in Monster Hunter for me.

Fourth gen did quite alright with the new subspecies overall. Even simpler ones like Shrouded Nerscylla looked really nice, since they bothered to make the Khezu hide actually look like a Khezu hide and its slow-walk poison strike is one of my favorite animations. It certainly beats the pants of EVERYTHING IS PURPLE NOW.

Toxi

Banned
Fourth gen did quite alright with the new subspecies overall. Even simpler ones like Shrouded Nerscylla looked really nice, since they bothered to make the Khezu hide actually look like a Khezu hide and its slow-walk poison strike is one of my favorite animations. It certainly beats the pants of EVERYTHING IS PURPLE NOW.
Tidal Najarala though... Fuck that thing.

Raide

I honestly didn't think Capcom had the talent or resources any more to pull this off.

This is Gen-6 era levels of work and polish.

I guess getting 4 years on a fresh game with new assets, more power to play with and a whole new audience to draw in, they can certainly do work when needed. So far it rings all the bells for me. I just need to know what their content plans are going forward.

Top Bottom