• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

LionPride

Banned
Question about the changes that happened due to Flashpoint:

Diggle's child's gender changes right? So pre-flashpoint I think it was a son, and then after Flashpoint it's a daughter? Did they make that change in Arrow too?
Was a pretty big point in an episode Arrow

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Question about the changes that happened due to Flashpoint:

Diggle's child's gender changes right? So pre-flashpoint I think it was a son, and then after Flashpoint it's a daughter? Did they make that change in Arrow too?

Correct but other way around. He had a daughter who he named Sara after the first Black Canary (cause she had just died) but then Flashpoint changed her to a boy. And they actually did go over it in Arrow, John is weirded out by the whole thing. It takes some of the significance out of them honoring Sara...but she's alive now on Legends, so who cares. And his kid is barely on the show. Maybe a handful of scenes since she (and now he) were born.

There was also a thing where in Legends of Tomorrow they went into the the future of Star City and he had a son. And this was pre-Flashpoint. So now things are in line with that I suppose.

Xenoboy

You know what would be cool, have Dafoe play Devoe, never gonna happen but it would be cool.

How do we think they are going to set Devoe up? Is he gonna be a Earth 3 villain? Or finally a present Earth 1 villain?
Maybe he'll be the D.A?

As somebody who quit at the midseason break, can somebody tell me who HR was talking to through his drumsticks and what his secret was?

That's literally all I'm curious about from when I stopped.

As somebody who quit at the midseason break, can somebody tell me who HR was talking to through his drumsticks and what his secret was?

I haven't watched the last 6-7 episodes, but he was talking to himself. He's a writer and got someone to translate the messages that Wells sent summoning HR.

Parshias7

No one? He was just writing a book. I think he was just dictating into a recorder. His secret was that he wasn't a genius.

- J - D -

Devoe is a tech-based villain, so I imagine a lot of season 4 will be comprised of face-offs between Cisco and Devoe and who can invent the most magical thing between the two when the plot requires it.

Ashhong

Correct but other way around. He had a daughter who he named Sara after the first Black Canary (cause she had just died) but then Flashpoint changed her to a boy. And they actually did go over it in Arrow, John is weirded out by the whole thing. It takes some of the significance out of them honoring Sara...but she's alive now on Legends, so who cares. And his kid is barely on the show. Maybe a handful of scenes since she (and now he) were born.

There was also a thing where in Legends of Tomorrow they went into the the future of Star City and he had a son. And this was pre-Flashpoint. So now things are in line with that I suppose.

I remember there being conflict about the whole child change, but couldn't remember if it was during the crossover of Flash or an episode of Arrow. That's cool, at least theyre consistent

strafer

We are not worthy.

At the WW premiere.

MnGV7Co.jpg

Arrow this year has proven that a 20+ episode season can be a kickass season if the plot/writing/etc is done well. Arrow just had an explosive finale for it's hot season.

This season of Arrow has been bad. It's just that season 3 and 4 were so awful that season 5 being better than them makes it seem much better than it really is.

LionPride

Banned
This season of Arrow has been bad. It's just that season 3 and 4 were so awful that season 5 being better than them makes it seem much better than it really is.
And people tell me wrong opinions don't exist

Besides the fact that Seasons 3 and especially 4 of Arrow weren't really that bad, Season 5 was pretty nice.

And people tell me wrong opinions don't exist

Besides the fact that Seasons 3 and especially 4 of Arrow weren't really that bad, Season 5 was pretty nice.

As I've pointed out before, it's just a retread of stuff from previous seasons, has been zero surprises because they literally repeating themselves, and it's boring because no surprises.

The big bad has bullshit levels of foresight and knowledge of things he couldn't possibly know to the point he isn't believable or interesting, a character with no flaws is boring, and that is what he is. Marty Sue.

Season 3 and 4 were dire, but if standards are low enough to call them 'not that bad' I can see why season 5's mediocrity of repeats is getting praise.

LionPride

Banned
As I've pointed out before, it's just a retread of stuff from previous seasons, has been zero surprises because they literally repeating themselves, and it's boring because no surprises.

The big bad has bullshit levels of foresight and knowledge of things he couldn't possibly know to the point he isn't believable or interesting, a character with no flaws is boring, and that is what he is. Marty Sue.

Season 3 and 4 were dire, but if standards are low enough to call them 'not that bad' I can see why season 5's mediocrity of repeats is getting praise.
They weren't that bad, at all. Rewatching them S3 started off slow but that was because of the Legends set up, the same problem that hindered Flash. After that it was alright, nothing too bad but people wanna complain about Olicity and everything they see as possibly wrong.

Season 4 is fine, it's not bad, it's not great, I had no real complaints with that season except for the fact that it's just Season 2 without Slade. A part of Season 2 that is overstated, his motivations were awful, those flashbacks did him no favors till he got the Mirikuru. He was a walking deus ex machina if you wanna complain about Chase. And I liked Slade.

Season 5 was really good, period. In a vaccum it was good, ignoring any past shows, shit was good. Character development, writing of story, it was solid. And to say Chase had no flaws? Okay, sure.

Nabs

You guys keep getting baited by the same exact post.

btw guys, we're in the Flash thread. You may not want to spoil Arrow here.

caliph95

How is Chase the unhinged maniac who was outwitted by the team and was forced to run away and go in hiding and failed to corrupt the hero as his goal a mary sue. He is not even the worst example in comics

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It's because he has been transmitting his adventures back, too.

Uh no. Gypsy references stuff that happened *before* HR interdimensionally traveled. Him transmitting his adventure back is just how they tracked him to E1.

She says something to the effect "When you find out what he did, you won't trust him either."

Joni

Uh no. Gypsy references stuff that happened *before* HR interdimensionally traveled. Him transmitting his adventure back is just how they tracked him to E1.

She says something to the effect "When you find out what he did, you won't trust him either."
Yeah, they dropped a lot of stuff they were doing with hr in that first half.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Yeah, they dropped a lot of stuff they were doing with hr in that first half.

Yeah, we're just going to have to assume it's either because he was retelling their lives but with himself as the hero, she was bluffing, or it's a plot thread they dropped for one reason or another.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Yeah, we're just going to have to assume it's either because he was retelling their lives but with himself as the hero, she was bluffing, or it's a plot thread they dropped for one reason or another.

Or if they're smart, it's a build up to an invasion from another earth. Anything other than another speedster.

-Deimos

That's pretty much how I feel. Maybe it isn't bad, but it's just boring as fuck. I have like 10 episodes sitting on my dvr that I can't bring myself to watch because I almost fell asleep during every previous episode.
Congrats to the 3 dudes that agree with you
tenor.gif

Ithil

The primary problem with Flash is all narrative and character based, but it really needs a visual overhaul next season. Not just the Flash suit that he's had since episode 1 (other than the white symbol), 90% of every episode in S3 seemed to take place with people standing around in that damn Star Labs set. I'm so tired of that boring plain concrete room.
Arrow upgrading to a visually impressive base in S4 didn't fix the problems of that season, as I said Flash's biggest issue is the writing, but Arrow at least had a sense of visual progression year after year, Flash has been static in that department since the pilot.

Assuming they make an effort to do a soft reboot and try to fix Barry's mess of a character and try to freshen up the show, they need to do that visual overhaul of everything too.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The primary problem with Flash is all narrative and character based, but it really needs a visual overhaul next season. Not just the Flash suit that he's had since episode 1 (other than the white symbol), 90% of every episode in S3 seemed to take place with people standing around in that damn Star Labs set. I'm so tired of that boring plain concrete room.
Arrow upgrading to a visually impressive base in S4 didn't fix the problems of that season, as I said Flash's biggest issue is the writing, but Arrow at least had a sense of visual progression year after year, Flash has been static in that department since the pilot.

Assuming they make an effort to do a soft reboot and try to fix Barry's mess of a character and try to freshen up the show, they need to do that visual overhaul of everything too.

That would definitely freshen things up for me. The "Can we talk for a second?" scenes happen in pretty much every comic show. The difference is how you dress it. Different locations is a good way to do that. It's more noticeable (at least for me) on The Flash because almost all of these scenes happen in Star Labs and they're back to back with each other.

Arrow had one of these scenes in a forest while characters were walking. One set of characters was talking, lagging behind the group, their conversation ended and then it focused on the other characters talking. That's basically a "Can we talk?" scene just without anyone saying it. More of that would be nice. Having everyone in the lab, then someone coming in and saying those magic words has to be dialed down.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I agree with all of this. I want to see more season 1 stuff in terms of locations and real world setting. We never see Barry as Barry outside in the real world anymore. It's CCPD, Star Labs, their apt, Joe's house, and maybe Jitters. I want to see Barry in his day to day life doing normal things but with his powers. That's how you can bring the fun back into the show. Doing mundane tasks with super powers is cool to see. Barry and Julian should have an episode or two devoted to them actually solving CSI work outside of Star Labs. Make it a fun mystery that they need to use their actual detective skills to solve and Barry's super speed to help out in creative ways. I'd be totally ok with never seeing Barry in the Flash costume all episode or fighting a "freak of the week".

Giving us 2-4 of those kinds of episodes per season would help liven the show back up, expand the tightness of always shooting on sets, and give a breather to the main story line. Hell, they could even do a Cisco/Joe team up or Caitlin/Barry again.

LotusHD

Banned
That would definitely freshen things up for me. The "Can we talk for a second?" scenes happen in pretty much every comic show. The difference is how you dress it. Different locations is a good way to do that. It's more noticeable (at least for me) on The Flash because almost all of these scenes happen in Star Labs and they're back to back with each other.

Arrow had one of these scenes in a forest while characters were walking. One set of characters was talking, lagging behind the group, their conversation ended and then it focused on the other characters talking. That's basically a "Can we talk?" scene just without anyone saying it. More of that would be nice. Having everyone in the lab, then someone coming in and saying those magic words has to be dialed down.

Thank you! I knew there was a reason why it bugged me more on the Flash, but I had trouble wording it lol

Another trigger phrase is "I got it." after someone walks out of the room in a huff, which then leads to someone going after them to go to speak to them about why they're upset. They do it so often. All the other CW shows do it too, but Flash somehow manages to make it more unnatural and grating.

Top Bottom