• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New wave of anti-smoking measures come into affect. (UK)

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
The pics, colouring, removing logos does not work. Only the high price and removing locations where to smoke.

And I smoke. Tax as much as you want or ban. I want that. I do not want to smoke. Spend the taxes on something good like hospitals.

I'm all for trying to deter people from smoking but I don't think increasing the minimum amount of cigarettes you can buy is going to do that at all.

hirokazu

The pics, colouring, removing logos does not work. Only the high price and removing locations where to smoke.

And I smoke. Tax as much as you want or ban. I want that. I do not want to smoke. Spend the taxes on something good like hospitals.
As I said earlier, evidence in Australia already shows it works. Your sample size of yourself doesn't mean anything statistically.

Ovek

7Member7
Ahh just as the first long term study on Vaping smoke was released and recently it found that Vaping causes severe lung damage. Anyone who thinks its a safe alternative to smoking are numpties.

Who would have thought constantly breathing in "Vaper" was bad for your lungs.

Nothing I guess.

I also mix my own liquid so eat shit laws. Germany did something like this now too, but I dont care. I also only pay about 30 cent for 10ml of my selfmade liquid. Get rekted lawmakers!

I've been thinking of doing the same, I'd save a lot of money. Could even cover the costs by selling some through to my friends/family that vape.

Ahh just as the first long term study on Vaping smoke was released and recently it found that Vaping causes severe lung damage. Anyone who thinks its a safe alternative to smoking are numpties.

This study?

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2017/02Febru...r-safer-than-smoking-says-landmark-study.aspx

Would be good to link the source to that. The first study I read suggests that the long term it's not as bad for you as smoking, which is what I'm sure most people were expecting.

suedester

Banned

Yeah, evidence please.

Mendrox

That is some bullshit. Serious sources please.

Sakura

In Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima and Osaka smoking was banned everywhere except in the designated areas for smokers. So yeah you can but have have fun paying the fine. I was there myself just a week ago for three weeks. Kyoto was easiest though with their 7/11 and Lawsons having an ashtray infront of them. But look at your feet every 100m and you see a warning.
There are many more cities in Japan than those four, and even in those for not all streets are banned as far as I'm aware.
I can see though if you are a tourist how you might get that impression.

Skinpop

There are many more cities in Japan than those four, and even in those for not all streets are banned as far as I'm aware.

yup, go to any but the most crowded central parts and you can smoke almost anywhere you want to.

sammex

I'm all for trying to deter people from smoking but I don't think increasing the minimum amount of cigarettes you can buy is going to do that at all.

This is of course anecdotal but I have a few friends who will only smoke on a night out and will get a 10 pack and smoke them over one evening, then not smoke for the rest of the week. This may deter some of them, at least some of the time, and any reduction is a plus.

Also looking back to when I was finishing school and few friends smoked (mainly cos they thought it was cool), they bought 10 packs cos they didn't have a lot of money.

Both of these scenarios could be altered, obviously there is nothing to stop someone buying a 20 pack and saving what they don't smoke for their next night out or just saving up more money to buy a 20 pack and smoking them over a similar length of time but it might help in some cases. It's an additional deterrent, albeit a minor one.

Treating smoking related diseases costs a lot of money. Anything like this which is cheap and has a preventative effect to save money down the line is fine with me. The NHS is in a funding crisis as it is, other large scale preventative campaigns are needed desperately to avoid total collapse in the future (I'm looking at you inactivity/obesity).

This is of course anecdotal but I have a few friends who will only smoke on a night out and will get a 10 pack and smoke them over one evening, then not smoke for the rest of the week. This may deter some of them, at least some of the time, and any reduction is a plus.

Also looking back to when I was finishing school and few friends smoked (mainly cos they thought it was cool), they bought 10 packs cos they didn't have a lot of money.

Both of these scenarios could be altered, obviously there is nothing to stop someone buying a 20 pack and saving what they don't smoke for their next night out or just saving up more money to buy a 20 pack and smoking them over a similar length of time but it might help in some cases. It's an additional deterrent, albeit a minor one.

Treating smoking related diseases costs a lot of money. Anything like this which is cheap and has a preventative effect to save money down the line is fine with me. The NHS is in a funding crisis as it is, other large scale preventative campaigns are needed desperately to avoid total collapse in the future (I'm looking at you inactivity/obesity).

Sure I can see this. Anecdotally as well, I find my friends tend to buy 20 packs now when out at nights and going through them all.

My main issue though is that this doesn't deter those already smoking with long term addictions. I can't help but feel it's just making them smoke more as a result. I work with homelessness and substance misuse and again this is merely my own observations so I'm only expressing concern as opposed to stating fact, it appears to me these people are smoking significantly more. Not less. I hope some studies in the future do show that these changes have caused a reduction though.

sammex

Sure I can see this. Anecdotally as well, I find my friends tend to buy 20 packs now when out at nights and going through them all.

My main issue though is that this doesn't deter those already smoking with long term addictions. I can't help but feel it's just making them smoke more as a result. I work with homelessness and substance misuse and again this is merely my own observations so I'm only expressing concern as opposed to stating fact, it appears to me these people are smoking significantly more. Not less. I hope some studies in the future do show that these changes have caused a reduction though.

I totally agree, I guess the thinking behind it is that long term smokers will smoke anyway, but if they can reduce numbers of new smokers then over time they will be having a real effect. It does definitely pose a problem for existing smokers trying to cut down or quit.

Cool, now put mangled corpses from car wrecks and rotting livers on alcohol containers.

I mean yeah it's only fair. The one thing that does piss me off a bit though is when they removed the smaller packets. I don't smoke tobacco alone anymore, but if I have some smoke that weekend I now need to give the company more money than needed for more tobacco than I need.

In that sense it's partially counter productive IMO, but hey this is the UK so no way legislation on smoking that gets revisited under the ministers daughter. We'll be too strong and stable to try catch up with America on that.

Mendrox

Hmm you are right. I only listed those four because I remember the warnings there. But yeah almost all the streets have banned smoking. There are only maps where you can find locations to smoke. Still better than Germany where you can smoke everywhere on the street and to be honest it is clever that Japan does it like this. Would turn me off smoking and I would wager to stop completely. Also with so many people in the big cities it is just the most logical solution.

Harmen

_96129792_mediaitem96129791.jpg

lol WTF? This doesn't even make sense. Is that someone's foot?

Smoking causes burnt up feet?

The thing is, way too many people think the adverse effects of smoking begin and end at the lungs, but that is far from the truth. Poisoning your body constantly can lead to many different nasty diseases.

I'm a smoker, been trying to give it up for too long now though, but this is good news. Any and all attempts to reduce tobacco consumption is good. A pack of 20 is €11:30 here, glad it's taxed. Shame the government isn't using it to actually help people though.

The smoking ban here was a massive success but there's still a lot of smokers here.

Wiped89

*effect. Mod to fix thread title please?

Also: good. Smoking needs to die out. Sadly there's still a huge black market for illegally traded cigarettes in the UK.

But ah well if people want to kill themselves smoking, let them. More room for me

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I see very few people smoking cigarettes any more in the UK.

But if they're still buying them then taxing the shit out of it would be my preference.

Hmm you are right. I only listed those four because I remember the warnings there. But yeah almost all the streets have banned smoking. There are only maps where you can find locations to smoke. Still better than Germany where you can smoke everywhere on the street and to be honest it is clever that Japan does it like this. Would turn me off smoking and I would wager to stop completely. Also with so many people in the big cities it is just the most logical solution.

Most people would just find an izakaya or some other bar or eating place to smoke though :p

Lagamorph

Well with this being the UK, there was also some lovely and stupid new legislations brought in for vaping.
None of those seem remotely stupid.
E cigarettes should be discouraged as much as cigarettes and subject to the same restrictions on where they can be used.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Yup. Definitely warranted. I wish America would do this. Or just make anyone born after 2000 unable to legally purchase them. That would kill it right there.

Cigarettes are truly evil.
Anyone born after 2000 is already unable to legally purchase cigarettes, yet I see them with them all the time. How would that "kill it right there?"

Anyone born after 2000 is already unable to legally purchase cigarettes, yet I see them with them all the time. How would that "kill it right there?"

Unless they've closed the loophole, it's not illegal for anybody of any age to buy cigarettes.

It is, however, illegal to sell them to someone under 18. The onus is on the shopkeeper. Kids still buy cigarettes off shady shopkeepers all the time because they know they can't be punished.

jm89

Next wee need a restriction to stop people smoking in public. Don't want your filthy habits ruining my or others health, don't give a shit if its just one passing whiff ruin your health in privacy.

Measures like this only really serve to scare off first time buyers than anyone who has already smoked previously. Previous smokers are still going to smoke knowing full well they're slowly killing themselves and those around them and you're still going to get the old lady that says "get me the carton with the dying baby on it."

s_mirage

None of those seem remotely stupid.
E cigarettes should be discouraged as much as cigarettes and subject to the same restrictions on where they can be used.

Vaping does not have the passive impact that smoking does, and has less impact on the health of the user, so why? I say this as a non-smoker. I approve of the smoking ban in public places because of the impact on bystanders, but vaping has none of that so what are the justifications for it being treated in the exact same way? Should alcohol be treated the same too?

Lagamorph

Vaping does not have the passive impact that smoking does, and has less impact on the health of the user, so why? I say this as a non-smoker. I approve of the smoking ban in public places because of the impact on bystanders, but vaping has none of that so what are the justifications for it being treated in the exact same way? Should alcohol be treated the same too?
People smoking e cigarettes (vaping is such a fucking stupid word) still has the effect of blowing smelly shit around when it's the scented crap. The use of e cigarettes and regular cigarettes should be banned in places like High Streets, parks, etc.

Alcohol already is treated the same way, virtually every town in the UK doesn't allow drinking alcohol on the streets away from a licensed premesis.

Zissou

In Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima and Osaka smoking was banned everywhere except in the designated areas for smokers. So yeah you can but have have fun paying the fine. I was there myself just a week ago for three weeks. Kyoto was easiest though with their 7/11 and Lawsons having an ashtray infront of them. But look at your feet every 100m and you see a warning.

You can smoke all over the place in Osaka. There's an occasional street where you're not supposed to, but nobody cares if you smoke there either.

Fuchsdh

It's aim is more at getting people to never start than convincing smokers to stop.

Yep. There's at least some evidence that removing the brand dress is pretty effective (and obviously despite whatever they say to the contrary cigarette manufacturers are scared or they wouldn't be fighting it.)

But this is definitely more about stopping habits from forming than breaking ones.

s_mirage

People smoking e cigarettes (vaping is such a fucking stupid word) still has the effect of blowing smelly shit around when it's the scented crap. The use of e cigarettes and regular cigarettes should be banned in places like High Streets, parks, etc.

Vaping as a term makes more sense than saying someone is smoking something that involves no smoke or combustion but does involve evaporation.

Top Bottom