• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swag

Running for a few hours on my Vaio F12 laptop (i7, Nvidia gt 330m, 6 gb ram, 1080p screen).

I love some of the new features, I really do, but there are some things that completely ruin the experience. Hot corners suck for dual screens, but I do love the hot swap feature for dual screens. Everything seems to be running faster than before, and I'm also loving the Google integration OOB.

How's gaming on this? Could I play some Steam games and be fine, or is this a completely impossible idea until they start making games with Windows 8 in mind?

I've been playing Dota 2 mostly fine save for some mouse issues involving edge panning the camera, sometimes it triggers the edge sensitive controls within the OS. Also had a few problems involving mouse sensitivity and mouse movement not registering, I'm assuming these problems are due to the OS and not the game itself, as I didnt notice anything when I was on Windows 7.

kehs

Banned
Why do I have to use the start screen to pin/unpin applications to my taskbar? It doesn't make any sense to remove this option.

Don't tie app language settings to my account language! The live account I'm using for the beta isn't an US account and even though I downloaded the US beta, it shows the live apps in a different language. Stop doing that, ffs.

Why do I have to use a Microsoft account to sync my settings? Why not just link my local account with the Microsoft account of my choice? Now I can't sync settings and the Live apps like Music, Video and Xbox are gimped, they tell me I have to switch back to a Microsoft account. No way I'm using the same password for my local pc and Microsoft account.

Why is there no way to change the library settings in metro? I have to use the explorer to add the music that is stored on my WHS.

Open the app, when it's in desktop, right click, pin to taskbar.

Yeah, for some reason I don't feel comfy with my local account and email account tied together. (weirdly enough I don't mind it for my google account, wtf?)

I don't understand the sync complaint though....you want it to sync to another account you're not signed in with, though I'm guessing that has to do with not wanting to use your email password for local password.

alphaNoid

Banned
We installed the CP yesterday at work. Also started testing Lync 15, Office 15, Exchange 15, and Sharepoint 15 all on top of the OS as well. Everything runs better and is better optimized on win8 than it was on win7.

Looking forward to dinking around more with this at home tonight from a consumer level, most all of my testing has been part of super TAP.

I'm trying to install on a new partition. Am I this screen and it hasn't asked me where I want to install yet. Am I good to proceed?
win8.png

you had to go through the start menu to select an app to pin it, i don't know why you would expect it to be different.

I never did that on 7. I downloaded a new application, installed it, clicked on "run application now" and finished the setup and pinned the running application to the start screen. Just like I did with Firefox right now.

The issue here was that I didn't pay attention to the taskbar on my "metro screen", where it's possible to pin and unpin, because it's the "main taskbar".

Hmm not sure how I feel about Windows 8 yet. It certainly feels like I'm switching to a completely different version, like going from 3.1 to '95.

Metro is ugly though, Jesus. I just hope later on that the Live Tiles look a lot better using images rather than a single colour. And I hope we get to customise what is displayed in the tile. I also can't help but want to use my gmail account rather than my spam filled hotmail one. But as this will be used in both mobiles and tablets, are we going to see google apps for Metro? Doubt it.

kehs

Banned
I'm trying to install on a new partition. Am I this screen and it hasn't asked me where I want to install yet. Am I good to proceed?
win8.png

That's gonna try to upgrade your current install. You need to boot from usb, then you pick what drive you want to use. (Assuming you're trying to dual boot.)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I never did that on 7. I downloaded a new application, installed it, clicked on "run application now" and finished the setup and pinned the running application to the start screen. Just like I did with Firefox right now.
oh well its still the same then, if you run the app you can right click and pin.
Hmm not sure how I feel about Windows 8 yet. It certainly feels like I'm switching to a completely different version, like going from 3.1 to '95.

Metro is ugly though, Jesus. I just hope later on that the Live Tiles look a lot better using images rather than a single colour. And I hope we get to customise what is displayed in the tile. I also can't help but want to use my gmail account rather than my spam filled hotmail one. But as this will be used in both mobiles and tablets, are we going to see google apps for Metro? Doubt it.
the mail app supports gmail not sure if the calander supports google calendars though. And windows 8 will have at least have 200 million users, i'm sure they will eventually get around to some metro applications.

oh well its still the same then, if you run the app you can right click and pin.

It's not the same.

We're both right. You can do that on the taskbar on your main screen, but not on the taskbar on the other screens.

Which brings me back to the point that my main screen is not my metro screen.

The issue here was that I didn't pay attention to the taskbar on my "metro screen", where it's possible to pin and unpin, because it's the "main taskbar".

Swag

the mail app supports gmail not sure if the calander supports google calendars though.

Things on my google calendar have started popping up in my w8 calendar

peakish

I've played around in it a few hours now and (as I suspected, I definitely was a bit pre-biased) I really like the way W8 is heading in. The Start Screen is lovely and I can't see any reason to return to the Start Menu. Searching for apps, documents (including within documents), settings etc. works perfectly and is fast even on my shitty notebook. I love the colours and that you get to pick your own at once in the setup - as much as I like Adwaita, I'm sooo tired of everything being black, silver or gray these days. Letting apps interface with the lock screen is a great touch.

There's a lot of polish missing but it is an unfinished product after all. Off the top of my head:
- There's hardly any indicator of the win+c "options" menu, you need to know the shortcut or perform a somewhat strange motion with the mouse.
- Most Metro apps are poor right now. I hope eg. Videos and Music (haven't tested that yet) will be able to launch in other players and that Mail gives a few more layouts as options.
- I was a bit annoyed at the MS Account linky-thingy, in that I need to login to Windows using that password - which is looong compared to my more lax home PC passwords. So I deactivated it and now have to fill in the account info + password individually for several apps, plus Skydrive doesn't work at all. If I could link my account without having to login with it locally that would be great.

I do expect most of my problems to be fixed so like I said, I'm still really excited about this. Even if I just ignore using the Metro apps completely (somewhate likely) the Start Screen itself will be a great companion to my day to day computing in Windows.

Now just implement workspaces and tabbed file navigation please :)

Edit: BTW I made the mistake above and upgraded my W7 partition. Not the biggest deal but an annoyance.

Windu

It's not the same.
well it is the same as windows 7 because you didn't even have the option to have a taskbar on another monitor without 3rd party tools. Anyway if you want to have stuff pinned on another monitor, you could duplicate it by selecting "all taskbar". Anyway like with anything on windows, someone will create a tool to fit your needs.

maeh2k

Somehow I can't get it to boot from USB.

The Win 7 USB/DVD tool doesn't work, so I'm using unetbootin which should work just as well.
I'm using NTFS.
When I try to boot from USB it says that it can't read the disk.

Could that be a problem with using NTFS? Should I go Fat32?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I've played around in it a few hours now and (as I suspected, I definitely was a bit pre-biased) I really like the way W8 is heading in. The Start Screen is lovely and I can't see any reason to return to the Start Menu. Searching for apps, documents (including within documents), settings etc. works perfectly and is fast even on my shitty notebook. I love the colours and that you get to pick your own at once in the setup - as much as I like Adwaita, I'm sooo tired of everything being black, silver or gray these days. Letting apps interface with the lock screen is a great touch.

There's a lot of polish missing but it is an unfinished product after all. Off the top of my head:
- There's hardly any indicator of the win+c "options" menu, you need to know the shortcut or perform a somewhat strange motion with the mouse.
- Most Metro apps are poor right now. I hope eg. Videos and Music (haven't tested that yet) will be able to launch in other players and that Mail gives a few more layouts as options.
- I was a bit annoyed at the MS Account linky-thingy, in that I need to login to Windows using that password - which is looong compared to my more lax home PC passwords. So I deactivated it and now have to fill in the account info + password individually for several apps, plus Skydrive doesn't work at all. If I could link my account without having to login with it locally that would be great.

I do expect most of my problems to be fixed so like I said, I'm still really excited about this. Even if I just ignore using the Metro apps completely (somewhate likely) the Start Screen itself will be a great companion to my day to day computing in Windows.

Now just implement workspaces and tabbed file navigation please :)

Edit: BTW I made the mistake above and upgraded my W7 partition. Not the biggest deal but an annoyance.

I'm using a simple picture password to log in. Nice and quick.

Mr_Zombie

Ok, uninstalling and installing apps helped. But now I can't configure my gmail account in Mail and Calendar .
It asks me about "server adresses" (by default it was filled with "m.google.com") and "domain" and I have no idea what should I write there.

Windu

Ok, uninstalling and installing apps again helps. But now I can't configure my gmail account.
It asks me about "server adresses" (by default it was filled with "m.google.com") and "domain" and I have no idea what should I write there.
do you have 2 step authentication enabled for your google account? That might be the issue, you need to have a seperate password if that is the case.

Jadedx

Banned

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
i wonder how secure that actually is

Good question. I think it is probably relatively strong. Edit: Nice post above.

Also, I might adjust the resolution. Some of the fonts are two small (such as GAF) and adjusting the ease of access makes it too big.

clav

Somehow I can't get it to boot from USB.

The Win 7 USB/DVD tool doesn't work, so I'm using unetbootin which should work just as well.
I'm using NTFS.
When I try to boot from USB it says that it can't read the disk.

Could that be a problem with using NTFS? Should I go Fat32?

Are you trying to create a bootable USB 64-bit installation disk on a 32-bit Windows OS?

It won't work.

You need to use a 64-bit OS to make a 64-bit OS bootable flash disk.

well it is the same as windows 7 because you didn't even have the option to have a taskbar on another monitor without 3rd party tools. Anyway if you want to have stuff pinned on another monitor, you could duplicate it by selecting "all taskbar".

No, it's not the same.

Let me explain it.

I'm using a three monitor setup at home, two 17", one 22".

9kssb.png

In Windows 7, I had apps scattered across the screens, however the main screen was always the one in the middle, where I had the taskbar. I never used 3rd party tools to extend the taskbar, never needed it, never wanted it.

Now in Windows 8, I want to use the smaller screen on the left solely for metro. But to do that, I have to tell Windows that my main screen is the left one, even though it's the one in the middle. Creates the problem that I simply don't have the same options on the other screens, like pinning or the god damn clock.

b7s5c.png
WVCVr.png

First world problems, but whatever. It's really annoying and kinda makes it impossible for me to use W8 on this PC.

Sanjuro

How is everyone liking it so far? Planning on making this my project tonight either using bootcamp or on my Dell laptop.

Mr_Zombie

do you have 2 step authentication enabled for your google account? That might be the issue, you need to have a seperate password if that is the case.

No, I don't have it enabled.
It seems there's something wrong with configuration. It shows me fields for email, username, password (those are simple), and then there are "server address" and "domain".

Oh, and I finally resolved the language problem. It seems all I had to do is just add English (US) in system language preferences. I disabled it previously because I hate it when I accidentally switch between Polish and English keyboard setup; but if the other option is to have half of the apps in German, I think I will survive the accidental switching issue.

wow this is a nogo for me as well. I do have a similar setup (15" pivot on the left, 22" center/tv as cloned, 19" on the right) and wanted to use it in a similar manner. Using the left one as the main monitor is not possible.

@ brotkasten: isn't it possible to open metro on every screen by using the shortcut and/or the bottom left via mouseover? I do not have it installed yet so I've no clue so far.

watership

This is hands down the biggest change Windows has ever had. I think it's a move in the right direction, Having a tablet and desktop UI on the same OS will be great for developers and consumers in the long run. But boy are they in for some major shit. Windows users HATE change. This might be the best thing Microsoft has ever done, and it's going to cost them. :D

Windu

No, it's not the same.

Let me explain it.
oh i was talking about the pinning stuff, yeah i hope the allow you to move the main taskbar to other other monitors or make the start screen pop up on non-main ones. Multi Monitor support overall is kinda of messy right now.
How is everyone liking it so far? Planning on making this my project tonight either using bootcamp or on my Dell laptop.
takes awhile to get used to but i think it will end up being an improvement. if you want to just use the desktop you rarely see the startscreen, only when you need to do stuff that you would do with the start menu and i prefer the start screen over the start menu.
No, I don't have it enabled.
It seems there's something wrong with configuration. It shows me fields for email, username, password (those are simple), and then there are "server address" and "domain".

Oh, and I finally resolved the language problem. It seems all I had to do is just add English (US) in system language preferences. I disabled it previously because I hate it when I accidentally switch between Polish and English keyboard setup; but if the other option is to have half of the apps in German, I think I will survive the accidental switching issue.
oh well i was having issues with it before and i uninstalled/reinstalled the app and finally got it working, looks like you already did that though. Anyway i think the server address is something like m.google.com and the domain google.com or something.

Pctx

Banned
Well after about an hour or so.... I'm officially done with Windows. If they try and release it in the state its in now, it will be a broken mess.

Guess Ubuntu or Mac OS from here on out for my home machines... or just stick with Windows 7. I'm too old to try and be okay with Microsoft trying to do something cute with their OS; it gets in the way of doing the tasks.

kehs

Banned
No, it's not the same.

Let me explain it.

9kssb.png

In Windows 7, I had apps scattered across the screens, however the main screen was always the one in the middle, where I had the taskbar. I never used 3rd party tools to extend the taskbar, never needed it, never wanted it.

Now in Windows 8, I want to use the smaller screen on the left solely for metro. But to do that, I have to tell Windows that my main screen is the left one, even though it's the one in the middle. Creates the problem that I simply don't have the same options on the other screens, like pinning or the god damn clock.

b7s5c.png
WVCVr.png

First world problems, but whatever. It's really annoying and kinda makes it impossible for me to use W8 on this PC.

So they're still not allowing metro apps on external monitors? That sucks, I was certain it was a limitation of the dev preview. Sucks to hear that.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
No, it's not the same.

Let me explain it.

9kssb.png

b7s5c.png
WVCVr.png

That's weird, I have the option to Pin/Unpin on both of my monitors.

Really liking this overall, on my desktop it's taken me a couple of hours to get comfortable but now I'm zipping around the interface pretty quickly. As someone who tends to run most stuff full screen I'm loving the metro interface. Haven't installed many of my production apps yet so I haven't done any heavy work.

On my EP121 slate it's just glorious, it makes the iPad seem obsolete IMO.

Troll

Banned
On my EP121 slate it's just glorious, it makes the iPad seem obsolete IMO.

I have the old WebOS tablet, I wouldn't mind putting W8 on it if I could.

This UI is definitely going to shine on Tablets, I honestly believe that it will all but wipe out Android Tablets and probably hurt Apple's market share more than the "Tech Sites" want to admit.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
You get that option when you select "Show taskbar buttons on all taskbars", but that defeats the purpose of multiple taskbars, imo.

How so? I thought you wanted metro apps on your other monitor? If that's the case you're not seeing the taskbar over there anyway.

How so? I thought you wanted metro apps on your other monitor? If that's the case you're not seeing the taskbar over there anyway.

I'm still seeing it on the other two. Also, forcing metro on one screen should prohibit desktop apps from using that screen. Constantly switching back and forth between metro and the desktop on the screen sucks.

rozay

Banned
After playing with this for a while, I like it a lot and I would easily recommend this over an android tablet provided the hardware is good this fall and app selection is decent (though it can't be worse than the number of tablet apps android has right now lol)

This seems like it was important to do, even if there are a lot of people resistant to change. Glad to see microsoft is currently moving in the right direction for once.

zou

I have the old WebOS tablet, I wouldn't mind putting W8 on it if I could.

This UI is definitely going to shine on Tablets, I honestly believe that it will all but wipe out Android Tablets and probably hurt Apple's market share more than the "Tech Sites" want to admit.

I agree with this. Windows 8 is by far the best tablet OS. And they have one big advantage over everyone else: No vendor lock-in for content, no need for separate, platform specific versions of popular apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom